2023-2024 Ladyjack Basketball

41,573 Views | 471 Replies | Last: 16 days ago by Pilotgirl
TallTexan
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Ljacks&Longnecks said:

Refs did a dirty number on SFA twice in the last minute giving CBU timeouts when they didn't even have possession of the ball---jump ball calls....

Terrible screw up

I can't even watch these free throws.
Ljacks&Longnecks
But Then, Harden fouled shooting a 3 pointer and makes all 3 FTs to go to Overtime
TallTexan
She's got ice in her veins.
Ljacks&Longnecks
But now in OT Ladyjacks ice cold shooting and Finau now down hurt.
Ljacks&Longnecks
You can't force it in to Harden when there are 3 CBU girls waiting on it.
Ljacks&Longnecks
OT not pretty for Ladyjacks. Missed shots and mistakes forcing the ball inside.

CBU is the real deal though.
No-look
Refs awarding those two lose ball timeouts to CBU cost the game
TallTexan
I like our chances in a rematch in Vegas.
SFA Jack Fanatic
TallTexan said:

I like our chances in a rematch in Vegas.

Agree. Bad three-point shooting in the first half. That was totally different from their previous game when they almost couldn't miss from outside. Defense has to be better, too. Giving up 100 on your home floor is nothing to be proud of.
TallTexan
Ya we've got to get back in transition better.

Felt like our team was exhausted by the end though.

We get back on defense better in the rematch and we win that one by 10.
SFAJack_76
TallTexan said:

Ya we've got to get back in transition better.

Felt like our team was exhausted by the end though.

We get back on defense better in the rematch and we win that one by 10.
28 fast break points given up. They beat us down the floor consistently. The two time outs given when they didn't have control of the ball was big, but getting beat down the floor was the difference in this game.

CBU is really good. The transfer portal, and an athletic budget that is roughly double ours, is working well for them.
SFAJack_76
SFAJack_76
The two teams behind the Ladyjacks in the standings both lost last night also. UTA had a bad loss at home to Seattle. UT lost a road game to a bad Tarleton team. We are solidly in third in the resume' seeding. CBU has edged ahead of GCU thanks to their win last night.
SFAJack_76
It's been mentioned a couple of times now that the seniors being honored on Saturday are Mele and Kurstyn. That seems to indicate that the other three seniors plan to be back next year.
SFA Jack Fanatic
SFAJack_76 said:

It's been mentioned a couple of times now that the seniors being honored on Saturday are Mele and Kurstyn. That seems to indicate that the other three seniors plan to be back next year.

So, Tyler, Destini, and Jasmyn will be coming back? That would be great! In effect, we'll only be losing one starter (although Mele has stepped into that role recently).

We've signed two very good incoming freshmen, and I saw that Coach Hernandez offered a girl a couple of weeks ago, but I don't know if that's for 2024 or later.

I'm going out on a limb and say that next Fall the Ladyjacks could/should be the preseason WAC favorites.

EDIT: The offer went out to Camille Williams from FW Boswell. It was for 2025.
SFA Jack Fanatic
We've got a good one going on in Nac right now. SFA has trailed most of the game vs. GCU, but the Ladyjacks just played a great 3rd quarter to take a 3-point 65-62 lead entering the 4th.
nacluth
Let's close it out Ladyjacks. I'm at my daughter's play. Is it rude I'm watching during set changes?
nacluth
Nice win Ladyjacks.
SFA Jack Fanatic
85-77. Definitely the best game of the year by the Ladyjacks! They are making the statement that "We're coming for it all in Vegas!"

This team is peaking at precisely the right time. They have grown soooo much since they came together in the Fall, when many of them didn't even know each other.

Remember when they were picked in the bottom half of the WAC in preseason polls by the "experts"?

Harden was chosen as the POG, but it could have been Deck or Lombard. All three were great today.
Pilotgirl
Agreed! I think they have POG to Dez...
Buckets
I hate to be the bearer of bad news on this one…

I wouldn't count on a couple of those seniors with an extra year coming back. My understanding is that it's degree program related.
SFAJack_76
Buckets said:

I wouldn't count on a couple of those seniors with an extra year coming back. My understanding is that it's degree program related.
They may play their fifth year elsewhere, but they plan to play. It would be the Masters program availability if they go elsewhere. It's my understanding they have not completely decided.

We have student athletes in at least four sports this year transfer to SFA for their fifth year.
SFAJack_76
Pilotgirl said:

Agreed! I think they have POG to Dez...
It was Dez.
SFA Jack Fanatic
Buckets said:

Boo! Hssss!
Pilotgirl
I'm just gonna stay in the moment and enjoy the rest of the season. I'm proud of Bishop's first year results and he will only continue ro grow as HC. We aren't finished yet!!!
djsfw57
If you missed the Ladyjacks beating Grand Canyon, you should go to ESPN+ and watch it. Talk about a tale of 2 halves! The second half was a clinic in basketball. Incredible!
SFA, Class of 1979
SFA Jack Fanatic
djsfw57 said:

If you missed the Ladyjacks beating Grand Canyon, you should go to ESPN+ and watch it. Talk about a tale of 2 halves! The second half was a clinic in basketball. Incredible!

Well said. GCU didn't play badly. The Ladyjacks were just playing better than they have since they were in the Big Dance a couple of years ago. The teamwork and cohesiveness was impressive. Every player that touched the floor played well.

BTW, GCU has nine seniors and grad students on their roster. They will be losing a ton of players after this season.
SFAJack_76
SFAJack_76
SFA Jack Fanatic said:

djsfw57 said:

Well said. GCU didn't play badly. The Ladyjacks were just playing better than they have since they were in the Big Dance a couple of years ago. The teamwork and cohesiveness was impressive. Every player that touched the floor played well.

BTW, GCU has nine seniors and grad students on their roster. They will be losing a ton of players after this season.
Eight of the nine are D1 transfers. It looks like four of the seniors have another year if they want. One RS freshman and one RS sophomore on the team. Two of the three juniors are transfers. They will reload with transfers as GCU does in all sports. Facilities and resources.
jboy93
Very random question but why has Zya not played at all at WVU this season? Always like to see former Ladyjack/Lumberjacks succeed.
Pilotgirl
She was injured in practice before the season started and took a medical redshirt this year.
SFAJack_76
jboy93 said:

Very random question but why has Zya not played at all at WVU this season? Always like to see former Ladyjack/Lumberjacks succeed.
Achilles injury before the season started. It was a knee last year before that season started. Zya has had a rough go.
jboy93
Pilotgirl said:

She was injured in practice before the season started and took a medical redshirt this year.
Do you think she will come back for a sixth year if my SFA math serves me right?
SFAJack_76
jboy93 said:

Another former Ladyjack, Angel Scott, transferred to a very good Missouri State team. They are 20-7, with a NET of 108. She has one start and has played in 26 games. Averaging 18.3 minutes per game. Only averaging 3.9 ppg, and has really poor shooting percentages of .321 and .274 on threes. 12-15 on free throws.
Pilotgirl
jboy93 said:

Pilotgirl said:

Do you think she will come back for a sixth year if my SFA math serves me right?
Yes, I do. She is very engaged on the WVU bench, and knowing Z a bit, I can't imagine her not wanting to compete on that stage/conference

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.