2023-2024 Ladyjack Basketball

41,070 Views | 471 Replies | Last: 12 days ago by Pilotgirl
SFA Jack Fanatic
How long do you want to ignore this user?
SFAJack_76 said:

Trinity only played in seven games early in last season. Apparently not due to injury. Her twin sister also transferred… to WVU.

That is a head scratcher. She played in 31 games the year before as a true freshman. In the coach's doghouse, perhaps? All-State player in high school.

EDIT: ORU had 8 players enter the portal, including Trinity. Wonder what the deal was?
SFAXE93
F: #00 TRINITY MOORE 6-0 (JR.)

2021-22 (Freshman)
Appeared in all 31 games as a true freshman ... Recorded 138 points while averaging 4.5 points per game ... Shot 42.9 percent from the field ... Poured in a career high 18 points against Central Christian ... Went a perfect 8-for-8 from the field against Western Illinois and finished with 16 points.

PRIOR TO ORU
Comes to ORU as a true freshman out of Jones High School ... All-state team.

PERSONAL
Daughter of Stephan and Scotia Moore ... Chose ORU because "I really liked the atmosphere. Everyone cares about everyone here. I also chose ORU because it is a Christian school and I would be able to further my relationship with Christ. Lastly, I chose ORU because it would be close enough to home for my friends and family to come watch" ... Plans to major in Business and Digital Marketing.
SFAJack_76
SFA Jack Fanatic said:

SFAJack_76 said:

Trinity only played in seven games early in last season. Apparently not due to injury. Her twin sister also transferred… to WVU.

That is a head scratcher. She played in 31 games the year before as a true freshman. In the coach's doghouse, perhaps? All-State player in high school.

EDIT: ORU had 8 players enter the portal, including Trinity. Wonder what the deal was?
ORU had a new HC for the 2022-23 season. They went from 16-15 (10-8) in 2022 to 12-19 (8-10) in 2023. Appears that the new coach and her team did not mesh well.
SFAXE93
Coming together

SFA BASKETBALL (WOMEN) 2023-2024

C:#24 KURSTYN HARDEN 6-3 (SR.)
F:#00 JASMYNE BOLES 6-1 (SR.)
G:#1 ZOE NELSON 6-1 (JR.)
G:#2 TYLER MCCLIMENT - CALL 6-0 (SR.)
G:#00 MELE FINAU 5-11 (G/SR.)
G:#3 AVERY VAN SICKLE 5-10 (SO.)
G:#00 ATALIA BALLESTEROS MELGAR 5-10 (FR.)
G:#4 DESTINI LOMBARD 5-9 (SR.)
G:#12 KYLA DECK 5-9 (SO.)
G:#00 LYDIA COOKE-WIGGINS 5-6 (FR.)
G:#00 MIMI GATEWOOD 5-6 (R/FR.)

HEAD COACH - LEONARD BISHOP (8TH SEASON)
ASSOCIATE HEAD COACH - PATRICK HARRISON (1ST SEASON)
ASSISTANT COACH/RECRUITING COORDINATOR - JORDYNN HERNANDEZ (1ST SEASON)
ASSISTANT COACH - LEXI MURPHY (1ST SEASON)
DIRECTOR OF BASKETBALL OPERATIONS - ALLISON RAY (2ND SEASON)
VIDEO COORDINATOR - KAYCIE DUNKERLEY (3RD SEASON)
HEAD MANAGER - ANIKA COLLINS (3RD SEASON)
GRADUATE ASSISTANT - MARISSA BANFIELD (2ND SEASON)
GRADUATE ASSISTANT - AALIYAH JOHNSON (2ND SEASON)
SFAJack_76
SFAXE93

F: JASMYNE BOLES 6-1 Nampa, Idaho (Vallivue/College of Southern Idaho/North Texas/SFA)

Junior (2022-23)
- Appeared in 24 games with seven starts on the year
- Averaged 1.5 points and 1.9 rebounds per contest
- Made her UNT debut in the season opener against Texas A&M-Texarkana
- Started her first game in a UNT uniform against SFA and scored four points
- Scored a season-high 11 points while pulling down four rebounds in a win over Montana State
- Had a stretch of five games with at least four rebounds early in the season (SFA-UTA)
- Landed on the President's List for the fall semester with a perfect 4.0 GPA

Sophomore (2021-22) (At College of Southern Idaho)
- Helped lead CSI to the Region 18 title for the second straight year making 30 starts while appearing in all 33 contests
- Averaged 5.7 points and 6.1 rebounds per contest on the year
- Put up a season-high 21 points while going 8 for 13 from the floor and pulling down seven rebounds in a road contest at Mesa CC
- Registered back-to-back double-doubles with 13 points and 12 boards versus Laramie County CC and 13 points and 13 rebounds against Western Nebraska CC
- Produced a 13-point, 11 rebound double-double in a road victory at Colorado Northwestern CC
- Dropped 15 points while also pulling down seven boards in the Region 18 title game against Snow College

Freshman (2020-21) (At College of Southern Idaho)
- Helped CSI win the Region 18 title
- Saw action in 17 games with nine starts on the year
- Averaged 4.2 points and 4.4 rebounds per contest
- Produced her first career double-double with 11 points and 11 rebounds in a matchup against Northwest College
- Pulled down nine boards in a road contest at Salt Lake CC
- Put up nine points and went 2 for 3 from downtown in the Region 18 championship game against Snow College

High School
- Attended Vallivue High School in Nampa, Idaho
- Was a First Team All-Southern Idaho Conference selection in both her junior and senior seasons
- Was selected to play in the Idaho HS Basketball All-Star game her senior year
TallTexan
SFA Jack Fanatic
A couple of weeks ago the Texan mentioned that the Ladyjacks will be making a tour in Italy this summer. I haven't seen anything else about it. Does anyone have any info?
SFAJack_76
SFA Jack Fanatic said:

A couple of weeks ago the Texan mentioned that the Ladyjacks will be making a tour in Italy this summer. I haven't seen anything else about it. Does anyone have any info?
They are going. Perhaps August 10-18. Donor funded. I don't recall the exact cost. About $120K?
SFA Jack Fanatic
SFAJack_76 said:

SFA Jack Fanatic said:

They are going. Perhaps August 10-18. Donor funded. I don't recall the exact cost. About $120K?

Thanks, 76. With all of the new faces on and off the court, the trip could not have come at a better time. Team building and an early start to learning the system for many.
SFAXE93

Leonard Bishop and Staff Add Eight New Ladyjacks
https://sfajacks.com/news/2023/7/10/womens-basketball-leonard-bishop-and-staff-add-eight-new-ladyjacks

C:#00 ITUAU TUISAULA 6-1 (SO.)
F:#00 JASMYNE BOLES 6-1 (JR.)
G:#00 MELE FINAU 5-11 (G/SR.)
G:#00 ATALIA BALLESTEROS MELGAR 5-11 (FR.)
G:#00 TRINITY SLOCUM 5-9 (SO.)
G:#00 LYDIA COOKE-WIGGINS 5-7 (FR.)
G:#00 MIMI GATEWOOD 5-6 (R/FR.)
SFAXE93
SFAJack_76
SFAJack_76
SFAXE93
Roster updated

C:#13 ITUAU TUISAULA 6-1 (JR.)
F:#14 JASMYNE BOLES 6-1 (SR.)
F: #33 TRINITY MOORE 6-0 (JR.)
G:#35 MELE FINAU 5-11 (G/SR.)
G:#42 ATALIA BALLESTEROS MELGAR 5-11 (FR.)
G:#10 TRINITY SLOCUM 5-9 (SO.)
G:#11 LYDIA COOKE-WIGGINS 5-7 (FR.)
G:#15 MIMI GATEWOOD 5-6 (SO.)
SFAJack_76
Tough draw, which is how it is set up. Comments about losing Harrison and Nugent are correct, but ignores that three other starters (Johnson, Scott, Brittingham) are gone also. And, a new coaching staff. I don't know how to forecast this season.
SFA Jack Fanatic
I assume the ladies have safely made it to Italy. May not happen, but I hope that our publicity people tell us how well the players are performing, not just about their tourism experiences. All of the players will get lots of court time, so we may not get much feedback on how that's going.
SFA88
SFA Jack Fanatic said:

I assume the ladies have safely made it to Italy. May not happen, but I hope that our publicity people tell us how well the players are performing, not just about their tourism experiences. All of the players will get lots of court time, so we may not get much feedback on how that's going.
No, just tourism, not even the score.
SFA Jack Fanatic
Game One video clips posted on X today. The clips are cherry-picked, but it looked like Avery had a really solid shooting day from outside, and Kyla, Destiny, Mimi, Zoe, and Mele also hit from long range. Kurstyn had a couple of easy layups. Not to take away from what they did, but the competition didn't look very strong.
SFA88
So, you "heard it on the X?"

I'll be here all week. Try the veal.
SFA Jack Fanatic
SFA88 said:

??? No comprendo, Kemosabe.
SFA88
SFA Jack Fanatic said:

SFA88 said:

??? No comprendo, Kemosabe.
Well, it's probably before your time. "Heard it on the X" is a ZZ-Top song on the Fandango album. I mean...it was a groaner of a pun even if you got the reference.
SFAXE93
SFA Jack Fanatic
Jasmyne Boles looking good. And for the second straight game Avery VanSickle shooting well from distance. Avery is finally healthy and could really provide some surprise (to me) offense to this team.
SFA Jack Fanatic
SFA Jack Fanatic said:

Jasmyne Boles looking good. And for the second straight game Avery VanSickle shooting well from distance. Avery is finally healthy and could really provide some surprise (to me) offense to this team.

Edit: On Washington WBB's (from which she transferred) website, they called Avery "a combo guard with exceptional three-point range". Hopefully, we will see that playing out here this Fall.
SFAXE93
In the class of 2021, Avery Van Sickle was a big time recruit coming out of high school, 4-star (ESPN Top 100) rated #85 overall, probably the highest recruit SFA has ever had.

In Van Sickle, the Huskies are getting a dead-eye shooter with a career 3-point shooting average of 39 percent, which has helped the current Raiders junior score 1,016 points in 76 high school games. In 2019-20, Van Sickle averaged 16.5 points, 3.7 rebounds, 2.5 assists and 2.1 steals per game while shooting 37 percent (62 for 169) from long range.

A 5-foot-9 shooting guard, Van Sickle led the Raiders (21-5) to a regular season in which they went unbeaten in Colorado and a postseason in which they reached the Great 8 round of the Class 5A state tournament. After graduating dunking sensation Fran Belibi (Stanford) last winter, this season was supposed to be a rebuilding year for the Raiders.

Van Sickle is a 4.2 GPA student.

She was also considering Texas, Texas Tech, Northwestern and Oklahoma.
SFA Jack Fanatic
Thanks for that info, 93. That's exciting stuff. And she's only a redshirt sophomore. She might just open some eyes around the WAC. Hope we can hang onto her for three years.
SFA Jack Fanatic
The Ladyjacks won their 3rd straight in the Land of Pizza Pies today. While the competition level hasn't appeared to be great, passing and sharing the ball by the Ladyacks has been impressive.

Destiny and Trinity Slocum both had very good games. In all three games in Italy different girls have stepped up, so we may have some very good depth again this year, albeit with different people contributing.
SFAXE93
Is that a purple jacket or maroon?

SFAJack_76
TallTexan
SFA Jack Fanatic
Excellent! A center. Hope we can get her signed.
SFAXE93
SFA Jack Fanatic
I see that both the women and men play in a double header in WRJ on the morning of November 6 for an 'education day' (free admission for schools and their personnel). The women are playing Oklahoma Panhandle. It does not appear on the WBB schedule, so I assume it is an exhibition game.

Anyway, it will be a good opportunity to get an early glimpse of both SFA BB squads.

TallTexan
SFA Jack Fanatic said:

I see that both the women and men play in a double header in WRJ on the morning of November 6 for an 'education day' (free admission for schools and their personnel). The women are playing Oklahoma Panhandle. It does not appear on the WBB schedule, so I assume it is an exhibition game.

Anyway, it will be a good opportunity to get an early glimpse of both SFA BB squads.

I'm so glad they brought the day game back. Cool idea for our future Jacks.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.