2023-2024 Ladyjack Basketball

41,117 Views | 471 Replies | Last: 14 days ago by Pilotgirl
jboy93
How long do you want to ignore this user?
TallTexan said:

jboy93 said:

I had no idea Morgantown was smaller than Nac or at least the same size! I am sure the fact the SFA stomped a mud hole in WVU in the men's tournament never came up!

Whole state is smaller than East Texas in population too.
And like he (Kellogg) kept saying, he can be at a lot of places within a three hours drive from there!
TallTexan
Wonder if/when we'll hear an answer this week.
PurpleOut
Staff
TallTexan
Huge loss for the Ladyjacks.
No-look
Big loss! She can play anywhere.
SFA Jack Fanatic
Oh, crap!!! (Pardon my French..)
jboy93
I just hope there are not more to come!
nacluth
Well understandable but disappointing.
SFA Jack Fanatic
Lost Zya, too. Double crap!!!
TallTexan
SFA Jack Fanatic said:

Lost Zya, too. Double crap!!!

Man that one really stings.
SFAXE93
Will have to see if the new recruits stay.

MACY SPENCER
LYDIA COOKE-WIGGINS
RedRiverLa
Part of the deal. Disappointed but not surprised. Kellogg is a great coach, I'd probably follow, too.
Lumberjack Battalion
Lumberjacks make great US Army Special Ops Officers - AxeEm!
SFAXE93
RedRiverLa said:

Part of the deal. Disappointed but not surprised. Kellogg is a great coach, I'd probably follow, too.
Also the opportunity to play in the BIG XII.

jboy93
jboy93 said:

SFA Jack Fanatic said:

The only one I'm scared about possibly losing is Harrison.
Fanatic, remember what that "little birdie" told me a few weeks ago!!! I think we should be very afraid...
Apparently, I can be right...sadly!
Ljacks&Longnecks
Wow, what a disaster. Looking at 2- 3 year rebuild for whoever gets hired.
BigJack85
Ljacks&Longnecks said:

Plenty of talent still there. Next couple of weeks will be key.
Axe 'Em Jacks - Class of 85'
SFA Jack Fanatic
BigJack85 said:

Ljacks&Longnecks said:

Plenty of talent still there. Next couple of weeks will be key.

If no one else leaves and our two recruits come on board, we'll be OK. Remember, we won 27 games without Zya, and no one knows what she will be able to contribute next season, coming off her major surgeries. Harrison is the huge loss.
RedRiverLa
It will be interesting to see how our team does in the Big 12. I now hate the phrase 'with that being said'
Lumberjack Battalion
Ljacks&Longnecks
Well that's the next question...who else leaves?

Not knocking the talent that remains but Harrison and Johnson carried the load more often than not.
Zya was brilliant pre injury. I think the losses are too steep unless we find help in the portal ourselves.

Sorry, not usually pessimistic towards SFA WBB but just the way I see the coaching changes and player losses this go round. Plus I just ain't happy about it.
Pilotgirl
Don't be surprised if more leave...
BigJack85
Pilotgirl said:

Don't be surprised if more leave...

Ugh. Ugh. Ugh.
Axe 'Em Jacks - Class of 85'
jboy93
I'm guessing maybe 2-3 more and maybe a hard sell to get our recruits to make it to Nac! It pains me to say that but I think that is the reality for us currently.
SFAJack_76
Did SFA WBB fold after Sue Gunter retired, then went to LSU? Or when Gary Blair went to Arkansas? Or when Royce Chadwick went to Marshall? Or when Brandon Schneider went to Kansas? No.

The seventh winningest program in the history of women's collegiate basketball will be just fine after Mark Kellogg has gone to West Virginia.

jboy93
SFAJack_76 said:

Did SFA WBB fold after Sue Gunter retired, then went to LSU? Or when Gary Blair went to Arkansas? Or when Royce Chadwick went to Marshall? Or when Brandon Schneider went to Kansas? No.

The seventh winningest program in the history of women's collegiate basketball will be just fine after Mark Kellogg has gone to West Virginia.

I agree to some extent but they did not have to contend with the transfer portal. This may take a couple of years unfortunately.
SFA Jack Fanatic
jboy93 said:

I'm guessing maybe 2-3 more and maybe a hard sell to get our recruits to make it to Nac! It pains me to say that but I think that is the reality for us currently.

I'm hoping beyond hope that you're wrong about additional players leaving. I'm sure Ryan Ivey knows full well that he needs to make a quick decision about who the new coach will be to stop any further exits.
Ljacks&Longnecks
Ladyjacks had a few unsuccessful coaches after Gunter left and until Blair arrived. 7th winningest program yes, but there were some lean times. And Schneider didnt exactly set the world on fire in his time here.
I'm hardly declaring Ladyjack basketball dead but let's be honest, losing the quality of players that are leaving and with more parity across the board in WBB our new coach will be coming on with a few hills to climb. To expect Instant success would be an unwise expectation.
That's just my honest take on the upcoming season---hardly the long term of Ladyjack basketball.
And if my pre-season prediction turns out wrong, I'll eat all the crow y'all can feed me.
SFAXE93
The new SFA coach can use the portal as well to reload.
SFA Jack Fanatic
I'm heading out into the field now to hunt me some crows.
TallTexan
I'm not concerned about the long-term future of the program unless Ivey just whiffed on what was likely to be the top 4-5 prospects for a position with this history. Which seems unlikely.

What is a bummer to me is I think the 2nd in command is still the right guy for the job and dragging this process out might have cost us a shot at retaining some of the best playmakers we've seen.

The silver lining is that we've still got good facilities compared to our immediate peers, so we should be able to reload via the portal too. The portal taketh away, and giveth.
RedRiverLa
I'm old fashioned, so hence, I strongly dislike what the tranfer portal has done to college athletics. 'Gone are the days of program building from the ground up; coaches develop players from scratch with the hopes of eventually enjoying the fruits of their labor.' I really enjoyed watching a team mature. Now theres no loyalty to a school, to teammates, or building a foundation of winning. Probably an unpopular opinion, but that's okay. Now get off my lawn you whippersnappers!
Lumberjack Battalion
Ljacks&Longnecks
Agree 100% Redriver
Pilotgirl
SFA Jack Fanatic said:

jboy93 said:

I'm hoping beyond hope that you're wrong about additional players leaving. I'm sure Ryan Ivey knows full well that he needs to make a quick decision about who the new coach will be to stop any further exits.
Yup, we need to stop the bleeding ASAP.
TallTexan
Today will be the day right? Right?
jboy93
TallTexan said:

Today will be the day right? Right?
It's got to be sooner than later! I check on the hour to see if there is any news!
Pilotgirl
It's like watching my house burn down.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.