2023-2024 Lumberjack Basketball

62,254 Views | 684 Replies | Last: 8 hrs ago by Ljacks&Longnecks
Ljacks&Longnecks
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Uninspiring on paper. Maybe staff knows something that will work with him in our favor.

Is Southwick still around?? Nobody on here seems to be able to confirm any info on him since his stats stopped at Snow. Remember the kid from New Mexico Jr college that never materialized.

BigJack85
Ljacks&Longnecks said:

Uninspiring on paper. Maybe staff knows something that will work with him in our favor.

Is Southwick still around?? Nobody on here seems to be able to confirm any info on him since his stats stopped at Snow. Remember the kid from New Mexico Jr college that never materialized.

Ya. A lot of my hope is based on our current returning group. Some pretty solid players. We absolutely have to hit a home run with one of these guys or we are staring at another 18-19 win season.
Axe 'Em Jacks - Class of 85'
No-look
BigJack85 said:

Ljacks&Longnecks said:

Ya. A lot of my hope is based on our current returning group. Some pretty solid players. We absolutely have to hit a home run with one of these guys or we are staring at another 18-19 win season.
. Looks like a solid role player that could fill some needs. I love the guys we currently have but to move to the top of the WAC we have to hit one out of the park with a big.
BigJack85
No-look said:

BigJack85 said:

Ljacks&Longnecks said:

. Looks like a solid role player that could fill some needs. I love the guys we currently have but to move to the top of the WAC we have to hit one out of the park with a big.

Ya. Without a reliable big, that can rebound we are stuck in that 15-19 win type of squad. Need someone that can produce on both ends OR Nana/Beaubrun have to have an all world performance next season.
MasterAxe
I know we are discussing a big man, and rightly so.

BUUUUT, Demarcus Sharp from NWST is in the portal.

You know, the guy who calmly dropped 34 on our face earlier this year.

Would immediately be the best player on our team.

I know it's a long shot, as he's likely wanting to play up to get exposure...but, Keller gotta make that call and be in NATCH immediately.
TallTexan
MasterAxe said:

I know it's a long shot, as he's likely wanting to play up to get exposure...but, Keller gotta make that call and be in NATCH immediately.

I thought the same.
PurpleOut
Staff
Updated on Southwick. He had a mild ankle fracture that kept him out the last few months. He's recovering well and excited to get to Nac.
MasterAxe
MasterAxe said:

Exodus of good players in NATCh.

Jalen Hampton, 6'6 guard (10 pts, 7 reb/game) Freshman in portal.

So…yeah.
SFA Jack Fanatic
PurpleOut said:

Updated on Southwick. He had a mild ankle fracture that kept him out the last few months. He's recovering well and excited to get to Nac.

Good to hear something about him. He seems to be injury-prone, but maybe that'll be his last one. Fingers crossed. We'll need his big body.
BigJack85
SFA Jack Fanatic said:

PurpleOut said:

Good to hear something about him. He seems to be injury-prone, but maybe that'll be his last one. Fingers crossed. We'll need his big body.

He (Southwick) is a very important piece. Yahoo. Hope he develops.
TallTexan
Gonna need Flintstones Vitamins to sponsor our team to build strong bones.
SFAJack_76
TallTexan
Those are umm, very different levels of schools.
nacluth
Probably different amount of play time too.
No-look
TallTexan
No-look said:

Think Keller is a more likely candidate for UNT than Tech.

Maybe if 2020 had ended with a tourney appearance rather than Covid.
BigJack85
TallTexan said:

No-look said:

Think Keller is a more likely candidate for UNT than Tech.

Maybe if 2020 had ended with a tourney appearance rather than Covid.

I hope he stays. UNT isn't that much better. Could be. Maybe. Probably not.
TallTexan
McCasland had an 800k base salary if I'm reading the contract correctly.
SFAJack_76
TallTexan said:

McCasland had an 800k base salary if I'm reading the contract correctly.

https://dentonrc.com/sports/colleges/mean_green/new-contract-makes-grant-mccasland-unt-s-first-basketball-coach-to-earn-1-million-annually/article_2a702454-07d7-5d02-880b-766b485bdd2f.html
TallTexan
I'll just say this. Paying a coach with one tourney win 1 mil a year is ridiculous.
MasterAxe
TallTexan said:

I'll just say this. Paying a coach with one tourney win 1 mil a year is ridiculous.
We talking about UNT doing this for McCasland or for Keller?
TallTexan
MasterAxe said:

TallTexan said:

We talking about UNT doing this for McCasland or for Keller?

Either. They're currently in a one bid league as best I can tell and possibly headed to one in the AAC as well.

For that price, you'd expect atleast a Brad Underwood level guy imo.
SFAXE93
MasterAxe
Former Utah Tech SF Frank Staine to SFA.

One year.

6'6 guard/forward.

Went 18/5 against us in WAC tournament win.

Nice pickup, even if just for one year.

Not a big, but a good pickup.
SFA Jack Fanatic
SFAJack_76 said:

According to Verbal Commits, Sharp has committed to Austin Peay, and he's taking two of his NSU teammates with him.
TallTexan
SFA Jack Fanatic
TallTexan said:

No SFA?
SFA Jack Fanatic
I'm placing the following in several places here on The Sawmill so that everyone sees it and is aware of its message. I feel that it's that important.

I recently joined the Sawmill6thMan collective. This is an NIL collective that financially supports the SFA Jacks MBB players. I encourage other Jack fans to join, too. Monthly memberships are available for as little as $10 per month, and I'm sure they'll gladly accept one-time donations. 100% of the money goes directly to the athletes!! This organization is not and cannot be (by NCAA rules) connected to SFASU. It is administered by SFA alums, most of whom are local businessmen.

For details, go over to the SFA NIL thread in the General Discussion Forum.

We say that we want to compete with the Big Boys to get the best players to come here, so we need to act like it! Please consider joining.

www.sawmill6thman.com/memberships
SFA Jack Fanatic
The reason that most of Northwestern State's best players are transferring to Austin Peay is because NSU's coach Corey Gipson is moving there, after spending only one year at NSU.
Jacks1989
Any updates on Day Day? He battled that shoulder issue all year. Did he have surgery?
SFAJack_76
Jacks1989 said:

Any updates on Day Day? He battled that shoulder issue all year. Did he have surgery?
He had surgery about a week ago.
BigJack85
SFAJack_76 said:

Jacks1989 said:

He had surgery about a week ago.

Is he expected to return for 23/24 season? Can he take a medical redshirt?
TallTexan
SFA Jack Fanatic said:

The reason that most of Northwestern State's best players are transferring to Austin Peay is because NSU's coach Corey Gipson is moving there, after spending only one year at NSU.

I know that has to be an odd feeling for NSU after having the last coach for so long.
BigJack85
Watching FAU vs San Diego St has me really stoked for next season. Last season was a disappointment, plain and simple.

But there was a few glimmers of hope .

1). Rotation Rotation Rotation. When Keller has a fully staffed squad we can be dangerous against anyone The defensive intensity just doesn't dip that much.

2). Shooters. With Jossell and AJ returning we've got some really solid 3-point threats already. I really like Matt Haymon. Add in the kid from Anderson University and we should be stacked.

3). Punch Inside Beaubrun had moments. Southwick added in could give us the best inside presence since Kensmil was throwing elbows.

4). Health. Specifically a healthy squad and a fully healthy DayDay Hall A healthy DayDay could have added a win or two to the final total last year. I'm confident DDH is going to be changing outcomes in our favor next season.
PurpleOut
Staff
Just saw some of the teams in the Cayman Island Classic that we'll be playing in.

- SFA
- Ole Miss
- Drake
- Wake Forest
- Oakland
- Still 3 more to be added

Should be a pretty nice MTE.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.