2023-2024 Lumberjack Basketball

62,210 Views | 684 Replies | Last: 5 hrs ago by Ljacks&Longnecks
TallTexan
How long do you want to ignore this user?
PurpleOut said:

Just saw some of the teams in the Cayman Island Classic that we'll be playing in.

- SFA
- Ole Miss
- Drake
- Wake Forest
- Oakland
- Still 3 more to be added

Should be a pretty nice MTE.

Nice. I already miss college basketball.
SFA Jack Fanatic
PurpleOut said:

Just saw some of the teams in the Cayman Island Classic that we'll be playing in.

- SFA
- Ole Miss
- Drake
- Wake Forest
- Oakland

Wow! Beam me up NOW, Scottie!!
djsfw57
PurpleOut said:

- SFA
- Ole Miss
- Drake
- Wake Forest
- Oakland

Wonder which of these teams we will play? HOPE we get to play Wake Forest more than any of the others.
PurpleOut
Staff
I imagine we'll get a home game and/or a road game against the bigger schools here, before actually going down to the Cayman Islands.
SFAXE93
Ole Miss or Wake Forest in the Sawmill would be nice.
LUMBERJACK2005
SFA Jack Fanatic said:

SFAJack_76 said:

According to Verbal Commits, Sharp has committed to Austin Peay, and he's taking two of his NSU teammates with him.
following their coach.
SFA Jack Fanatic
Folks at NSU are probably hopping mad, just as we are about our Ladyjacks jumping ship.
SFAJack_76
I am not hopping mad that two young women are pursuing a great opportunity.
Ljacks&Longnecks
Good for you 76.
Loyalty and commitment ARE so old fashioned and meaningless
TallTexan
Commitment to what?

They signed up to play in the Mark Kellogg Ladyjack basketball system, something SFA can no longer offer.

Unlike Mark Kellogg, who was committed through 2026 iirc, these students were likely on a year to year scholarship deal.

If we're going to impugn someone's loyalty and commitment, perhaps it should be the one we had a multi year contract with and paid pretty well by Nac standards.
TallTexan
Not that I think anyone's commitment or loyalty should be impugned. Folks can seek better or worse opportunities, it's a free country and everyone has to make the best choice for them.
Ljacks&Longnecks
Decent points Texan. Mostly I'm just venting my frustration. That said the letter of Commitment was to SFA , not Kellogg and SFA still offers the scholarship and all that comes with it, albeit now a different coaching staff.
And the abandoning coach often has some sort of buyout clause.
Of course they all have the option to move for "greener pastures " or opportunity as I have the option to complain, pout, and stomp.my feet and be critical about it.
It pains me because when an SFA takes a hit such as this it takes longer to recover and get back where we want them to be while a P5 as school can turn right around and get whomever they desire because of their status.
TallTexan
Ljacks&Longnecks said:

Decent points Texan. Mostly I'm just venting my frustration. That said the letter of Commitment was to SFA , not Kellogg and SFA still offers the scholarship and all that comes with it, albeit now a different coaching staff.
Of course they all have the option to move for "greener pastures " or opportunity as I have the option to complain, pout, and stomp.my feet and be critical about it.
It pains me because when an SFA takes a hit such as this it takes longer to recover and get back where we want them to be while a P5 as school can turn right around and get whomever they desire because of their status.

I hate losing players and coaches too. It stinks for us to see kids who are great on and off the court leave.

But the irony is our men's team largely builds off that too.

I'd say for good basketball schools, it probably comes out in the wash. You're gonna lose some, you'll win some.

Personally I hope we target more transfers bc we can leverage our brand and facilities to build even stronger teams than we might have the old fashioned way.

We've had some dang good transfers in for men's and women's over the years. Might as well lean into it.

Duke win probably doesn't happen if Kachelries and Kensmil stick with their original schools.
wahlwesle
Who knows, if we bring a coach in from outside, he/she may bring quality players with them. Thats just how it goes. Some players choose a school for the coach, some for the facilities, some for both.
BigJack85
Word that the "Big 5" is expanding to 6 (adding Drexel), and formalizing the MTE tournament format further made me think that a similar tournament would be a great marketing opportunity.

Call it the Piney Woods Shootout: SFA, Sam, Lamar, NWST, La Tech and Texas A&M Commerce. What do you think? It would be an interesting MTE. Maybe Shreveport? Dallas?
Axe 'Em Jacks - Class of 85'
SFA Jack Fanatic
Ljacks&Longnecks said:

Agree. We all have (or should have) the freedom to complain and/or be "hopping mad" if we want to without being denegrated by anyone who happens to have a different opinion.
Ljacks&Longnecks
Oh I'm not afraid to speak my mind it's just on these forums I'm usually a bit more upbeat and reasonable . Losing these ladies, esp Harrison a budding superstar, just hit me hard at the wrong time.
That old saying " Don't hate the players hate the game" comes to mind. Nothing against the ladies that are leaving, they must do what they feel is best for them.....
But as for the portal.........
SFAXE93

High School

Attended River Bluff High School … Three-year letterwinner in basketball … Two-year letterwinner in golf … Set single-game scoring record with 31 points … Two-time All-State honoree … Two-time Player of the Year … South Team MVP … State Championship MVP … Averaged 14 points, two assists and six rebounds per game as a junior … Member of National Honor Society
PurpleOut
Staff
BigJack85
SFAXE93 said:

High School

Attended River Bluff High School … Three-year letterwinner in basketball … Two-year letterwinner in golf … Set single-game scoring record with 31 points … Two-time All-State honoree … Two-time Player of the Year … South Team MVP … State Championship MVP … Averaged 14 points, two assists and six rebounds per game as a junior … Member of National Honor Society

Everything I've been able to find (interweb) about this guy (Myles) says WINNER. Seems like an overlooked diamond. Fingers crossed. The roster looks (on paper) to be one of Keller's best. If he can put these "pieces" together, dangerous. Dangerous.
SFAXE93
SFA Jack Fanatic
Here's a fun mental exercise, fellow Jack hoop fans...

Name the three additions to SFA's roster that you believe will have the greatest impact in the '23-'24 season.

Here are my three...

1) Myles Jenkins
2) Kimahri Wilson
3) Clayton Southwick
BigJack85
SFA Jack Fanatic said:

Here's a fun mental exercise, fellow Jack hoop fans...

Name the three additions to SFA's roster that you believe will have the greatest impact in the '23-'24 season.

Here are my three...

1) Myles Jenkins
2) Kimahri Wilson
3) Clayton Southwick

Looks solid.

1) Myles Jenkins
2) Clayton Southwick
3) Frank Staine
SFAXE93
SFAXE93
SFAXE93
No-look
Solid group for sure. Added height and scoring overall…Only potential concern is not getting a big rim protector and scorer to fill the paint. Southwick may help do that but we could be one injury away from a repeat with the front court. That's my only concern which may not be a concern at all. But really like the recruits we signed.
SFA Jack Fanatic
No-look said:

Solid group for sure. Added height and scoring overall…Only potential concern is not getting a big rim protector and scorer to fill the paint. Southwick may help do that but we could be one injury away from a repeat with the front court. That's my only concern which may not be a concern at all. But really like the recruits we signed.

You are spot on about our front court situation going into next season, No-look.
BigJack85
SFA Jack Fanatic said:

No-look said:

You are spot on about our front court situation going into next season, No-look.

Beaubrun has to improve.
No-look
And he most likely will. Came from D2 and missed most of the season due to injuries. Looked really good at times.
SFAXE93
No-look
Any news on where Posey might be landing?
PurpleOut
Staff
No-look said:

I've heard NMSU could be a destination.
BigJack85
PurpleOut said:

No-look said:

Whoa. ????
Jacks4460
PurpleOut said:

No-look said:

Yeppers...

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.