2023-2024 Lumberjack Basketball

68,093 Views | 711 Replies | Last: 17 days ago by BigJack85
No-look
How long do you want to ignore this user?
MasterAxe said:

Frank Staine on Twitter/X:

"Nacogdoches and Lumberjack Nation, It was an honor. Free the whole gang."

Last part does not sound good.
I saw that???
ServiceJack88
No-look said:

MasterAxe said:

Frank Staine on Twitter/X:

"Nacogdoches and Lumberjack Nation, It was an honor. Free the whole gang."

Last part does not sound good.
I saw that???

No it is not good. There have been several people on here who have mentioned this program is is horrible shape and I think we all are about to see it unfold.
JHard
Yeah, this might get ugly.
No-look
Pump the brakes... Players transfer every year from most every school. Some just want a change. Some see it as a financial area which would be a benefit. I see the glass half full for now.
BigJack85
No-look said:

Pump the brakes... Players transfer every year from most every school. Some just want a change. Some see it as a financial area which would be a benefit. I see the glass half full for now.

Agree. Hayman had some gaps inside. We need someone who can finish closer in. Hayman's 3-point shooting was streaky.
SCH890
If that is really the case. I think we need a whole entire overhaul... New coach and everything. Keller's idea of PressU only works until it all collapses. We need a new Offense and Defense identity. Still would love to be top 5 in Steals but need something more than PressU.

Build everything around Latrell and then find someone like him to take his place in the near future.
sfajack05
Something needs to change. Keller over here celebrating 18 wins (really 16) and acting like that is a big deal. We haven't seen a tournament championship game in years and players are consistently leaving and not being developed.

Really hard to get excited about the team when it's the same thing year after year.

SFA Jack Fanatic
Lots of new guys on here suddenly coming out of the woodwork. Where were you when times were good?
migata33
I could have this wrong but I believe Keller applied at the same time Underwood did but Brad got the job. I think Keller took this job after Underwood and left A&M in hopes of his work at SFA earning him that promotion at the U he left. Unfortunately Covid screwed his plans and now he is closer to a return to a P5 as an assistant rather than as a head coach. You know he wants that OK St gig but is not on their radar. He needs to get his head straight for next season and adjust as needed in his coaching style ASAP or he might not make it till the end of next season without being replaced.
ServiceJack88
I will go out on a limb and say we will have one player remaining from this years team on next years!
MasterAxe
SFA Jack Fanatic said:

Lots of new guys on here suddenly coming out of the woodwork. Where were you when times were good?
That was 7 years ago.

I was much younger. With better hair. Less of a gut. No kids.
ljax1979
It seems like Power 5 programs are now relying more on the transfer portal than Freshman. Do we need to focus on getting high level Freshman and promise starting spots, minutes and whatever NIL we can provide with the understanding that they will likely be gone in 2 years if they average 12-15 ppg?

The days of getting a freshman, developing him and then seeing the fruits of your labor in their junior/senior season are over.
SCH890
I started at SFA in 2016 right after the Brad Underwood Era at SFA with high expectations that Keller would keep the program thriving and keep making us the dominant Mid Major team we should be. Which don't get me wrong we had some great years from 2016-2020 besides one shakey season. Besides the first year at the WAC its been a decline. People know how to figure out our style of play and then they can abuse it.
SCH890
I could see this happening. Especially after those great years in the Southland and also the Duke game. I think this year is the one to prove him or he's out especially since his contract is over in two years (2025-2026). Who knows our new AD may be more ruthless (that always can be a hope).
nacluth
Not directed at you SCH890, but there's been a tendency lately to refer to the 2019-2020 season as that one Duke game. It was a great game, and it's a crying shame that the tournament got canceled.

However, that season was one of the greatest in team history. 28-3 (which would have almost undoubtedly been 30-3 to start the tournament). Record wise, the second best year besides Underwood's first magical 32-3 year.

We were very nearly ranked coming in 27th in four different polls that year. A higher voting tally than any previous season.

Keller's legacy may never be considered in the same breath as Underwood, but his fourth year team is one of the best ever and resulted in the only NBA player in the modern era.
No-look
Last two years were injury laden. Especially last year. If AJ and Day Day hadn't been injured this year we would have a better record. We have talked about the injury thing already but it still was a factor
ServiceJack88
Stephen F. Austin F/C Jalil Beaubrun has entered the transfer portal.
Jacks1989
Oh my. Jalil is in the portal.
MasterAxe
Whelp, get ready kids.

There won't be one GD player we know coming back.

MasterAxe
nacluth said:

Not directed at you SCH890, but there's been a tendency lately to refer to the 2019-2020 season as that one Duke game. It was a great game, and it's a crying shame that the tournament got canceled.

However, that season was one of the greatest in team history. 28-3 (which would have almost undoubtedly been 30-3 to start the tournament). Record wise, the second best year besides Underwood's first magical 32-3 year.

We were very nearly ranked coming in 27th in four different polls that year. A higher voting tally than any previous season.

Keller's legacy may never be considered in the same breath as Underwood, but his fourth year team is one of the best ever and resulted in the only NBA player in the modern era.

You're not wrong. First four years…awesome.

Last four years…less than awesome.
SCH890
Im indifferent about him. He seems like a great player but man those cramps are killer for him. I hope he gets the help he needs with them. Best of luck Jalil.
BigJack85
Not to concerned about losing Jalil. Frankly was more concerned about Hayman. Oh well. The portal.

Look at UTA. Completely built from scratch. I don't like it but what do you do. Kids + Portal = Chaos
MasterAxe
BigJack85 said:

Not to concerned about losing Jalil. Frankly was more concerned about Hayman. Oh well. The portal.

Look at UTA. Completely built from scratch. I don't like it but what do you do. Kids + Portal = Chaos

We could always try and build a winning program and culture that would entice players to stay.
SCH890
Pretty much. Im mostly worried about Jossell. I think building a team around him would be quite deadly. Treat him as our next Kevon type player for one more year.
ServiceJack88
Jossell is gone.
SCH890
Until I see his name in the Portal. Lets not make any assumptions.
ServiceJack88
I get trying to be positive about it but this isn't an assumption. It's literally happening.
SCH890
Like I just said until I hear it from horse's mouth. I'm not buying it. Unless you have "insider information" that you've talked to him personally. I'll wait and hear it.
TallTexan
Hopefully having an NIL program will allow us to get some good transfers.

I know we don't have big school cash, but having any at all is better than some small schools.
JHard
No-look said:

Last two years were injury laden. Especially last year. If AJ and Day Day hadn't been injured this year we would have a better record. We have talked about the injury thing already but it still was a factor

Comments like this (and not intentionally meaning to single you out) sums up the Keller era.

Excuses.

What ifs.

Why are we the only program with injuries and arguably bad luck?
JHard
I think Keller is full of it. He paints a certain picture to these kids, that seemingly he thinks are the only ones that fit his system. He sells them (and us) on whatever type of system this is, they end up injured or don't play...so naturally and eventually they see through his **** and either leave on their own, or has checked out and he makes them leave.

Rinse. Repeat.
JHard
UTRGV fired Matt Figger today. Someone that everyone said was a great hire and a great coach, and had a team decimated by injuries this season (worse than us).

He was fired after three seasons.

Luckily for Keller we don't have an AD?
ServiceJack88
JHard said:

I think Keller is full of it. He paints a certain picture to these kids, that seemingly he thinks are the only ones that fit his system. He sells them (and us) on whatever type of system this is, they end up injured or don't play...so naturally and eventually they see through his **** and either leave on their own, or has checked out and he makes them leave.

Rinse. Repeat.

THIS...RIGHT....HERE!!! Keller is 100% full of it. He has pulled the wool over a lot of people's eyes. Every time it's mentioned there are ones who come to his defense. If we lose the entire team will we look different at him.

Not just the players leaving let's look at the staff. Coaches and ops. I bet a certain DBO who would have a few things to say.

Also unless someone has a spare 700k, Keller isn't going anywhere unless he chooses
SFA Jack Fanatic
I have questions for you new folks on here who have suddenly showed up and are blasting Keller and the program...

Serious questions, and I'd like to get honest responses:

1) How many of you are members of the Sawmill6thMan Collective and have been putting your money where your mouths are since the collective was formed last year and have been making NIL donations to the program to support the players and the program (MBB and/or WBB)?

2) How many of you are Purple Lights Fund donors and (as an option) have designated your funds toward MBB and/or WBB?

3) How many of you have been season ticket holders for MBB and/or WBB in the last five years?

I await your honest responses.
ServiceJack88
1. No I am not.
2. Yes I am and yes I have
3. Been a season ticket holder for a long time. I show up to both MBB and WBB.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.