2023-2024 Lumberjack Basketball

68,224 Views | 711 Replies | Last: 18 days ago by BigJack85
BigJack85
How long do you want to ignore this user?
MasterAxe said:

BigJack85 said:

nacluth said:

Not disputing that the players shouldn't go find new teams, but I feel sad that besides Jossell, probably no one is making a "step up" in going to a more competitive team.

Ya. This is the biggest point. The statistics don't lie. 70% of these guys will be lucky to get more than "role player" time at a D1 school that is competitive. All but Jossell will end up at a D2 or riding the bench with little chance to develop. It's short sighted and the big boys of college athletics love it.

A couple of the guys on the list (that haven't gone into the portal "yet") could help us. We still need a few JUCO studs or transfers that can shoot…. Trying to remain optimistic.
In other words: "These guys would rather ride the pine at a big school or play D2 than play for this program anymore."

Not exactly a glowing recommendation for our coach and program.

Not sure that's the case …. Rick Cabrera over at NWST had 6 seasons at the JUCO level as HC. Every year he was winning 22, 30, 25 games a season. 6 years in a row. He moves over to NWST and all of the sudden he's a piece of **** coach because he loses guys in the portal (8 to be exact). I don't get how all the peanut gallery can look at one season and draw vast conclusions ….
Axe 'Em Jacks - Class of 85'
MasterAxe
BigJack85 said:

MasterAxe said:

BigJack85 said:

nacluth said:

Not disputing that the players shouldn't go find new teams, but I feel sad that besides Jossell, probably no one is making a "step up" in going to a more competitive team.

Ya. This is the biggest point. The statistics don't lie. 70% of these guys will be lucky to get more than "role player" time at a D1 school that is competitive. All but Jossell will end up at a D2 or riding the bench with little chance to develop. It's short sighted and the big boys of college athletics love it.

A couple of the guys on the list (that haven't gone into the portal "yet") could help us. We still need a few JUCO studs or transfers that can shoot…. Trying to remain optimistic.
In other words: "These guys would rather ride the pine at a big school or play D2 than play for this program anymore."

Not sure that's the case …. Rick Cabrera over at NWST had 6 seasons at the JUCO level as HC. Every year he was winning 22, 30, 25 games a season. 6 years in a row. He moves over to NWST and all of the sudden he's a piece of **** coach because he loses guys in the portal (8 to be exact). I don't get how all the peanut gallery can look at one season and draw vast conclusions ….
This is a message board for a middling mid-major basketball program...Vast conclusions based on small sample sizes is exactly what we are supposed to be drawing.

Also, Rick Cabrera has been there less than a year, it makes total sense for him to let players walk/have them leave as he builds the program the way he envisions it.

We're entering year 9 of Keller and the program vision is.....?
BigJack85
MasterAxe said:

BigJack85 said:

MasterAxe said:

BigJack85 said:

nacluth said:

This is a message board for a middling mid-major basketball program...Vast conclusions based on small sample sizes is exactly what we are supposed to be drawing.

Also, Rick Cabrera has been there less than a year, it makes total sense for him to let players walk/have them leave as he builds the program the way he envisions it.

If year 9 sucks, the vision will be over.
TallTexan
I'd wager he also makes half of what Keller makes & doesn't have a fancy basketball performance center.

I'd be shocked if they have an NIL program.
TallTexan
BigJack85 said:

MasterAxe said:

BigJack85 said:

MasterAxe said:

BigJack85 said:

nacluth said:

Can we afford 350k to get rid of him next year?

I think we're stuck on this train two more seasons.
MasterAxe
TallTexan said:

BigJack85 said:

MasterAxe said:

BigJack85 said:

MasterAxe said:

BigJack85 said:

nacluth said:

so this gets to another question I have had, and it's more generally geared to any major budget item: Who has authority on these things?

Does the UT board of regents ultimately have hire/fire spend/don't spend authority? Or, will our local admins (AD/President) have that power?
ServiceJack88
MasterAxe said:

TallTexan said:

BigJack85 said:

MasterAxe said:

BigJack85 said:

MasterAxe said:

BigJack85 said:

nacluth said:

so this gets to another question I have had, and it's more generally geared to any major budget item: Who has authority on these things?

Does the UT board of regents ultimately have hire/fire spend/don't spend authority? Or, will our local admins (AD/President) have that power?

From what I understand it will be local power. Obviously UT will have ultimate power but they'll leave it local
SCH890
All I'm hoping at this point is Keller makes a slam dunk with the Portal after losing all we got (Number Pending). Change the offense type scheme go away with the Press style of play and get some behind the Arc shooters and others who can drive in the paint. It was a beautiful system we had with Kensmill, Roti and David. We did have a occasional PressU style but that wasn't the bread and butter.
MasterAxe
SCH890 said:

All I'm hoping at this point is Keller makes a slam dunk with the Portal after losing all we got (Number Pending). Change the offense type scheme go away with the Press style of play and get some behind the Arc shooters and others who can drive in the paint. It was a beautiful system we had with Kensmill, Roti and David. We did have a occasional PressU style but that wasn't the bread and butter.
Totally agree.

Keller has had three 20-win seasons and, to me, one of the reasons was we had big men who could not just score, but pass.

First was TJ Holyfield and then twice Gavin.

Those guys you could run an offense through because they were threats both scoring and passing.
migata33
Its never a good sign when this many people decide to leave in mass. I can't comment as I dont know the situation and reasons for their departure. Its either they hate Nacogdoches and its quiet nature or they dislike some facet of the program so much they are willing to go anywhere to get away from it. With all this said none of the talent leaving is not replaceable with kids from other programs or maybe an overseas player or two. Right now we are in the ugly phase....let's all hope we get out of it sooner than later.
Jacks1989
I'm just really numb. Shocked. Disappointed. Really don't know what to say. Just freaking sucks. I always try to be positive on this board and stay away from the negative. To me these are young kids that we are cheering on. I have 2 boys that are the same age as the Lumberjacks and I always try to be positive. I wouldn't want anyone talking bad about my boys, but something is really wrong at WRJ. Coach K practically had his whole team walk on him. Why?

Maybe I was raised in a different time and era. I was raised with a code of honor, integrity, values, and your word means something. If I was the coach of this team and this happened to me I would resign. That's all i really have to say.

Rev007
Lately, basketball life is like a box of chocolates. I look forward to fresh faces and better talent. I know our coach can win with good players, and I hope he is not the cause of an unhappy environment. Otherwise, we will be needing a new coach.
SCH890
Jacks1989 said:

I'm just really numb. Shocked. Disappointed. Really don't know what to say. Just freaking sucks. I always try to be positive on this board and stay away from the negative. To me these are young kids that we are cheering on. I have 2 boys that are the same age as the Lumberjacks and I always try to be positive. I wouldn't want anyone talking bad about my boys, but something is really wrong at WRJ. Coach K practically had his whole team walk on him. Why?

Maybe I was raised in a different time and era. I was raised with a code of honor, integrity, values, and your word means something. If I was the coach of this team and this happened to me I would resign. That's all i really have to say.

This day and age is all about transfering. So expect this more and more as the years go on. The thing that doesn't make sense to all of us that most of these players are either High end Starts 30+ minutes per game or a bench player that plays a lot of minutes. At 5 players already in that regards is crazy. Normally players go to a bigger name school to play more minutes but as we saw with Calvin (18.8 versus 20+) it was not the case. See it time an time again that a player will play less for more recognition then play with smaller.
MasterAxe
Two former Jacks, Johnathan Aku & Jamil Cofer, playing in NCAA right now.

They've led Grambling back from a 12 point deficit, currently up 2 on Montana State
Pilotgirl
MasterAxe said:

They've led Grambling back from a 12 point deficit, currently up 2 on Montana State

And they just won! Cofer was the stand out player...
Jacks1989

Cofer. Was he a walk on or a scholarship player for the Jacks. . I don't remember.
nacluth
Neither Aku or Cofer have been standout players for Grambling through the season, but Cofer had a game today. Congrats to them.
SCH890
Pilotgirl said:

MasterAxe said:

Cofer was more of a redshirt for us, though, right? I hardly remember even playing, and according to ESPN, he only played an average of 9 minutes, so maybe he was a redshirt? I remember Aku since I thought he would be the next Kensmill.
Pilotgirl
SCH890 said:

Pilotgirl said:

MasterAxe said:

Cofer was more of a redshirt for us, though, right? I hardly remember even playing, and according to ESPN, he only played an average of 9 minutes, so maybe he was a redshirt? I remember Aku since I thought he would be the next Kensmill.

I wasn't saying that he was the stand out player for us; he was the player that made all the big plays and had a career night in last night's game.
SCH890
Pilotgirl said:

SCH890 said:

Pilotgirl said:

MasterAxe said:

I wasn't saying that he was the stand out player for us; he was the player that made all the big plays and had a career night in last night's game.
Oh I know I was just trying to remember him on our team. Cause I don't remember Cofer playing for us and turns out the stats showed he only averaged 9 minutes so no wonder I have no memory.
ljax1979
Myles Jenkins has entered the transfer portal....the exodus continues.
cboothe09
Kimahri Wilson has entered the Portal
No-look
Hope this mess has a positive in there somewhere
SCH890
Man the one two punch. Best of luck to both of them.

Really has been an implosion.
Jacks1989
So Nana, Stone and Southwick are still on the roster. Wonder if they will hit the portal?

SCH890
Jacks1989 said:

So Nana, Stone and Southwick are still on the roster. Wonder if they will hit the portal?

Only one I can't see leaving is Nana. Also someone said he is staying which make sense since his ties to the school the others I couldn't tell you.
ServiceJack88
Jacks1989 said:

I would for sure say Nana and Southwick will stay. On the fence with Stone. I wouldn't be surprised if he goes back West
Jacks1989
Is Hayman officially in the portal?
ServiceJack88
Jacks1989 said:

Is Hayman officially in the portal?

He's reposted on X of people saying he entered the portal. So I'd say yes!
BigJack85
Jacks1989 said:

Please stay. LOL. Just a little bit longer….
ServiceJack88
BigJack85 said:

Jacks1989 said:

Unfortunately nobody wants to be on this team. It should say a lot.

Please stay. LOL. Just a little bit longer….
No-look
Is Daeveon Scott on scholarship? What little he played he was impressive.
SCH890
Honestly, If this is because Keller lost the locker room due to saying something during the season and the players want out because of this..

I'm kind of pissed.. as a fan how does one be happy about our team with this much turnover. Especially opening up the NIL shop near late season.. Sure that goes to the student. I'm glad I didn't buy a T-Shirt Jersey or something because everyone is now gone.
ServiceJack88
SCH890 said:

Honestly, If this is because Keller lost the locker room due to saying something during the season and the players want out because of this..

I'm kind of pissed.. as a fan how does one be happy about our team with this much turnover. Especially opening up the NIL shop near late season.. Sure that goes to the student. I'm glad I didn't buy a T-Shirt Jersey or something because everyone is now gone.

It's beyond that.
SCH890
ServiceJack88 said:

SCH890 said:

It's beyond that.
Anyway you can shine more details instead of being vague?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.