2023-2024 Lumberjack Basketball

68,064 Views | 711 Replies | Last: 17 days ago by BigJack85
BigJack85
How long do you want to ignore this user?
sfajack05 said:

This going to be Keller's last year?

No. It will not be.
TallTexan
ServiceJack88
TallTexan said:

Sitting?! What does that mean? Not injured?
SFA Jack Fanatic
Injured.
Jacks1989
Hate to hear this about Day Day. Wish him the best and hopefully he gets better soon. I believe it's a knee issue, Is he going to have surgery?
BigJack85
Jacks1989 said:

Hate to hear this about Day Day. Wish him the best and hopefully he gets better soon. I believe it's a knee issue, Is he going to have surgery?

Will we get him back next year? Does he have eligibility?
ServiceJack88
I want to know why people on here continued to bash Coach Carthel for the season he had but not once did he back down from the criticism!
Coach Keller is a coward and a disgrace to SFA. I'm watching the coaches show on Facebook and for a second week in a row he didn't show up. Sent an assistant. He refuses to answer the though questions. Heck he won't answer any questions!
Y'all defend him left, right and center and put him on a pedestal. He doesn't care about y'all for one second.

He's been here long enough we should have growth not regression!

But let's not forget we beat Duke!
BigJack85
ServiceJack88 said:

I want to know why people on here continued to bash Coach Carthel for the season he had but not once did he back down from the criticism!
Coach Keller is a coward and a disgrace to SFA. I'm watching the coaches show on Facebook and for a second week in a row he didn't show up. Sent an assistant. He refuses to answer the though questions. Heck he won't answer any questions!
Y'all defend him left, right and center and put him on a pedestal. He doesn't care about y'all for one second.

Real informative comments. Not.
SFA Jack Fanatic
ServiceJack88 said:

You're an embarrassment.
SFA Jack Fanatic
BigJack85 said:

Jacks1989 said:

He's a junior. Will he come back? In this age of musical chairs transfers, who knows?
BigJack85
SFA Jack Fanatic said:

BigJack85 said:

Jacks1989 said:

He's a junior. Will he come back? In this age of musical chairs transfers, who knows?

I hope so. If he does, we will have the same sort of team Tarleton has, this year. Deep, senior laden. But yes, with the transfer portal who knows. I would have to think that Keller has a good pulse and anyone watching this team game in, game out, knows that we are a cu__ hair from being in the championship race.

Just guessing, we lose a couple. 1. Staine is out of eligibility 2. One or two others will leave for greener pastures.

Ljacks&Longnecks
Well, well ServiceJack. If indeed you had watched and listened to the coaches show tonight then you must have missed when it was mentioned that Keller was not there because he was watching his son playing 8th grade BB.

How cowardly and disgraceful one must be to go and support his kid over a 15 minute spot at the Wild Wings place.

Stay classy 88
AxeEm99
Hey ServiceJack88,
I personally do not agree with your assessment on Keller. I think he has done a great job with our basketball program and needs to stay! (I am not calling you out, just expressing my opinion.)
While I have been critical regarding Carthel on this forum in the past (which is somewhat warranted), what I have learned in posting comments is that only a SELECT few elite members are permitted to be critical of athletics on this forum. If you or I have opinions we will likely be called out even though the opinions may be warranted. So just be aware going forward....
BigJack85
AxeEm99 said:

Hey ServiceJack88,
I personally do not agree with your assessment on Keller. I think he has done a great job with our basketball program and needs to stay! (I am not calling you out, just expressing my opinion.)
While I have been critical regarding Carthel on this forum in the past (which is somewhat warranted), what I have learned in posting comments is that only a SELECT few elite members are permitted to be critical of athletics on this forum. If you or I have opinions we will likely be called out even though the opinions may be warranted. So just be aware going forward....

I think it's important to back up opinions with data. I've been critical of Carthel, also. Keller on the other hand has done a spectacular job. He's having a down year. Jo doubt. One thing you can count on with Keller, his guys play hard for 40 minutes. Other than Utah St we've been in almost every game. Kept GCU in check. That isn't chopped liver.
nacluth
Well as it's a fan forum, everyone is free to post their opinions, but it's true some opinions are going to be shot down quicker than others. This is especially true if you're a poster that only shows up to comment how the current coaching staff needs to lose their jobs. Coming in to kick someone when they're down without saying hi first is just rude…on a forum or real life. But that's the state of politics these days.

Keller and Carthel are different coaches, different sports, different budgets, but they have a lot of the same expectations.

Carthel has delivered a lot of stability, respect, and visibility for his teams - which is something that was desperately needed for SFA football. He has also invested in the community which has won local respect. He has not particularly delivered in wins, and at some point that does define a coach's career. I personally don't see football as a huge marketing device for the college nationally as FCS doesn't draw. So, I'm content with a good man leading a program that is respected by its players, coaches, and community. Others feel free to disagree - especially if winning is what you desperately want out of football. I get it, and I hear you.

Keller's importance to SFA's basketball program is much more nuanced I think. Someone had to follow the meteoric success of Underwood. Whether it was the plan from the beginning, Keller has stabilized a program with pie-in-the-sky hopes. While without the same overall success as Underwood, Keller has brought showcase games to SFA's schedule (Kentucky/Kansas/Duke/more). He has navigated the transition from Southland to WAC which I would argue has been as hard as most teams switch from D2 to D1. While he has not been able to unlock postseason success, his teams have been winners and are consistently within the top half of D1 teams - the definition of a good midmajor.

He faces real criticisms though. He has never faced any media scrutiny and tends to avoid it. In his 8 seasons, Nana is set to be the second player (after Kevon) to stay through his four years of eligibility. Why can he not keep and develop players even accounting for transfer portal issues? Injuries have been a consistent issue year in and year out among his top players. Locker room morale also seems to be lurking and led to the crash of the 18-19 season.

But, Keller has been able to bring in talent, deliver some big wins, and every two years build winning teams. NCAA's in 2018, Duke win and almost assuredly another tournament appearance in 20, WAC Champs in 22, 24… This year would break the cycle if he can't finish it off, but this year did feel special to start. Also, it's no small thing to say that SFA basketball has been a national story over the last decade. Something that really can't be said about football.

Sorry for the long philosophic post, but I find the best things about this forum is that usually we can find a consensus toward what is best for the university and its programs. I never ask for agreement with my thoughts but do hope that we each can respectfully add our two cents. Carry on…
SFAJack_76
For those that have stated that Keller has done a great or spectacular job, I'm curious what your criteria is.
Ljacks&Longnecks
When one starts their opinion piece with childish name calling as above, then your credibility is instantly shot. Add to that Keller was out being a proper dad for his kid, not avoiding anything then you really look beyond foolish.
If you want your opinion to carry any weight or be respected then make real arguments about the what and why of the matter. Use data as BigJack said.
Facts and data carry weight and can lead to a level exchange of opinions.
Silly name calling and "y'all tired of this yet" lines will only get you deserved ridicule.
BigJack85
SFAJack_76 said:

For those that have stated that Keller has done a great or spectacular job, I'm curious what your criteria is.

Over the balance of his time at SFA. Like you I dealt with 90's SFA basketball. We've come a long way and his record bears that out.

The most direct I can be: If we were to ditch Keller, we are more likely to end up with a "Ned Fowler" record than a "Brad Underwood" record.

Danny Kaspar at SFA 246 - 141 .636
Brad Underwood at SFA 89 - 14 .864
Kyle Keller at SFA 157 - 76 .674

Danny inherited a mess. If you look at his last 7 - 8 years at SFA he was extraordinary. Brad benefited from the solid foundation that Kaspar laid down. IMHO Keller deserves credit for one, sustaining the solid foundation and second, putting some solid non-conference wins on the board (Baylor, Duke, LSU, Memphis).

Level of competition has a lot to do with the record. Brad is .607 at Illinois......
MasterAxe
SFAJack_76 said:

This might be the most impossible question to answer...for all coaches.

I don't know that I would classify his tenure as "spectacular," that's the Brad Underwood-era adjective.

Has he done "great?" Depends on what you think our program is.

If you believe we should be going to the NCAA tournament every year and competing for the WAC title every year...then Keller has not been great. Because neither of those metrics has been met.

If you believe we should have a competitive team every year...then, yes, he has accomplished that.

I don't know that I would classify his era as anything but...uneven.

A spectacular start. NCAA tournament in year 2...immediately followed by missing the SLC tournament the next year.

Three straight very good years (including an elite 2019-2020 campaign) and a WAC regular season title...followed by two 1st round thuds and (cringe) maybe a third straight this year.

If you are a strictly "WINS AND LOSSES" kinda guy...then winning 67% is a hell of a deal.

If you are a "THE POST SEASON IS ALL THAT MATTERS" then you're likely in the category of believing we can do better.

The metrics will tell you he is much closer to Danny Kaspar than Brad Underwood, so take that however you see fit.

Ultimately, it feels like we are in a quasi-program purgatory.

Are we bad? No
Are we great? No

We're somewhere in the middle...with a current slight regression.

The old, stupid MasterAxe would have been screaming for a firing probably three weeks ago.

The old, wiser MasterAxe knows that (1) that probably is a financially un-feasible scenario and (2) there has been a recent run of bad luck with injuries that we do have to take into account.

So, let's see how the season finishes up and maybe there is a miracle in there.

That said, I don't think it is too out of left field to think that next year he needs to have a big year or the talk of replacing him could be more legitimate.

Ljacks&Longnecks
Master, that was one of the best, most thoughtful post we have seen here in quite awhile. Truly covered the aspects of Keller as Coach with all the ups and downs. Kudos
SFA Jack Fanatic
Bravo, Master Axe. Well said.
Ljacks&Longnecks
So Nacluth and Master laid things out pretty well.

I'm old school. I like Conference championships. I hate conference tournaments but that is what we have.
I want SFA to be competitive year in and year out. Go into each season knowing we have a chance to finish on top. So far Keller has kept us in that zone.
I don't expect to go to NCAAs every year. That is the goal of course, but as a mid-major in a conference that still appears to only be a 1 bid league, you are going to end up disappointed often.
A 67% win number is solid. The stronger conference that everybody praised and wanted means much more competition to take down than the SLC.
Injuries happen. They are hitting us hard right now and also in the past. Then we have or will have seasons where we win out on the injury side of things. Transfers happen, now more than ever. Unless the ugly portal gets closed this will only continue no matter who is head coach.

I'm not saying that Keller is without faults or the best man for the job without question. I have no knowledge of what happens in the locker room or individual one on one relationships with players. Not all coach/player relationships are going to be great. There will be clashes of personalities and wills. If Keller has consistent issues behind the walls of the locker room, we likely would never know. Barring some unknown circumstances I'm willing to hang with Keller at this time.

If we were finishing 10-20 or 8-22 every year then yes I would expect change. The records, while not as strong as we would like some seasons, are still winning records.
IF our AD decided we needed to change coaches, then I would probably accept that and await the new man. But saying "fire the coach" is very easy. Finding a new coach that will satisfy all the goals and expectations is honestly a crapshoot.

I don't agree with all I see from Keller. I don't like watching him pull the first guy that fouls 45 seconds into a game. Like most here sometimes I question the group on the floor. As coach I have to guess he knows what his plan of action is so I just have to go with it. Hardly any fireable offenses here.

Show me 'just cause" or a couple of .500 seasons to change my mind. I'll stick with Keller til then.
No-look
Underwood set the bar high. I remember for several years we were in the top three in the nation with home wins. When that lone rare home loss was a terrible thing…the bar should still be high but we have been spoiled with the success the program. The WAC is better than the Southland and don't want to go back. Players for the most part are better overall. We will have to adapt and make it work. The constant injuries baffle me.
nacluth
Two weeks ago when we lost to GCU and Cal Baptist, those were the first back to back home losses in over a decade. That is the level of expectation we're at. For UTRGV that's a normal week.
Buckets
I don't post here often, but ServiceJack has caught my attention.

What tough questions would you like me to ask Coach Keller? I would be more than happy to oblige if they're appropriate. I interview him weekly and normally attend every press conference he does. So please send those questions over. And what "tough" questions do you think he was avoiding on Monday night? Did you think Rob would spend 15 minutes grilling him on the coaches show? Get real.

Coach Keller isn't perfect. Heck, there are things about his style that I'm not crazy about sometimes, too. But I have pretty much unlimited access to him and his program, and I can tell you that from what I see, everyone is rowing as hard as they can in the same direction. College athletics are hard, and NIL and the transfer portal (although I favor both) have made it even harder.

Call me crazy, but in a world where coaches constantly think about the next move and how to climb the ladder, we have coaches here who love this place, genuinely want to be here, and want to give fans a product they can be proud of. Carthel and Keller are prime examples. I'll take both guys every day of the week and twice on Sunday.
SFA Jack Fanatic
I was paddling with you all the way until you said you favor the transfer portal and NIL, Buckets. Your paddle must have broken and you went overboard at that point. Correct that obvious mistake and I'll attempt to pull you back on board.
Buckets
Sorry to disappoint, pal. I'm always going to side with the student athletes.
Texasheli

I am still with Keller. Injuries will happen in sports it just a mystery the severity of injuries the last couple of years which hurts the team. I thought we would see a change from last year as there are more players to rotate to take the load. Maybe AJ playing so many minutes last year has caught up to him. Then DayDay played hurt all last year which may be contributing to his health this year. I like other think some of the groupings are not given enough time on the floor to gel for the particular game. I would think it hard for the point guard to develop instinctively with each player where to dish the ball when the play breaks down with the limited minutes. I am no high IQ basketball person, but I do know the more I work with someone the more I can predict what they will do or what I must do.

Playing thin last year, we had the same groupings on the floor most of the game. They won games they most likely should not have I believe due to a developed amount of chemistry as the game played on.

Keller and the team were denied a high possibility of making the NCAA tournament the Covid year and most likely advance out of the 1st round.

We do need to defend the home court. That helps to get behinds in the seats.
FBK_Lumberjack
Yeah the last paragraph in your post is straight out of a fantasy novel, "Buckets". I know you haven't been here long enough to know, so I'll give you a pass on this, but Keller would have already left this place high and dry during/after the 28-3 COVID season in a heartbeat. If not for the pandemic and the coaching hiring freeze that resulted, he would've had some offers coming his way and if you think he wouldn't have taken a more lucrative job just because he "truly loves SFA and wants to be here", you are fooling yourself. That's not how this works.

Buckets
Yeah sure. Maybe I'm wrong. I only sit in the guy's office and talk to him multiple times a week. What do I know?
SFAJack_76
Just under two years ago. Last paragraph.

https://tulsa.rivals.com/news/official-konkol-tabbed-as-tulsa-s-next-men-s-basketball-coach
No-look
Most all coaches are trying to climb that ladder. Try to bloom where you're planted and when the opportunity arises to take that next step then do as you're led. It's the nature of the game. Keller is doing a good job… If everybody loves you you probably aren't doing a good job. Lol
FBK_Lumberjack
Buckets said:

Yeah sure. Maybe I'm wrong. I only sit in the guy's office and talk to him multiple times a week. What do I know?
Well you are wrong on this point, so there's that. It's OK to say it. Maybe next time you're in there you can ask him if he'd turn down 3 million a year to stay at SFA because he loves it so much. Report back, let us know what he says.
SFA88
Buckets said:

You are also a reporter. He isn't going to tell you everything. Experienced coaches like Keller always know who they are talking to. A spouse is about the only one that truly knows what a coach is thinking about their career.
RichieVan
Realistically, let's put the debate to rest as to whether Keller would leave. He would. However, it's not a binary choice as to whether he would leave for 3 million or if he loves it in Nac and cares about SFA. He does. And I don't think he is thinking of his next move, mostly because the team is uneven and, at times, struggling.

I think COVID had an especially big impact. There was talk that a 30-4 Jacks team that had lost the Southland final had a decent shot at an at-large bid. A 31-3 Southland Champion would have made a ton of noise and the publicity and attention the University would have experienced would have been a huge recruiting boost. As it is, the level of talent Keller is able to bring in has been remarkable given the University's location not near any major transportation hubs.

The only thing I would add to the excellent observations above on what constitutes "success for Keller" is "exactly what are your expectations for a team from the 13th rated conference in NCAA basketball?" From our position, we can hope to be the next St. Peter's or Loyola. Even in the Southland, we couldn't sustain success, but at least the move to the WAC gives us better competition and opportunities at better talent. Keller has proven he can bring in talent.

Now, you want to talk about his coaching ability? Keller should certainly face scrutiny there. Does it make sense to play aggressive, overplaying defense against a three point shooting team like Cal Baptist? Thats just one example. Or, why not pay attention more to taking care of the ball and limiting turnovers? That's another one. There's more, of course, but you get my point.

Bottom line, Keller has to be taken on the aggregate. And the question that needs to be asked is, if you want to move on, then who comes in and improves SFA? We are already at a competitive level and taking a chance on an unknown quantity with potential can set back that competitive level. The next coach would, in my mind, would have to have a track record of success and maybe one of the "lesser" conferences has that candidate. But for me, as of now, Keller has been beset by bad luck with injuries. He's proven he has the ability to take a team to a higher level with an NCAA team and the COVID team. If he can make noise and get us to a 20 win season, that will quell any talk of getting rid of him.

My two cents (which turned into a quarter). Axe 'em!

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.