2023-2024 Lumberjack Basketball

68,169 Views | 711 Replies | Last: 18 days ago by BigJack85
ServiceJack88
How long do you want to ignore this user?
SCH890 said:

ServiceJack88 said:

SCH890 said:

Honestly, If this is because Keller lost the locker room due to saying something during the season and the players want out because of this..

I'm kind of pissed.. as a fan how does one be happy about our team with this much turnover. Especially opening up the NIL shop near late season.. Sure that goes to the student. I'm glad I didn't buy a T-Shirt Jersey or something because everyone is now gone.

It's beyond that.
Anyway you can shine more details instead of being vague?

Somethings have already been said in this thread but they've been blown off. But unfortunately this isn't the place to share the rest. Not appropriate.
SCH890
ServiceJack88 said:

SCH890 said:

ServiceJack88 said:

SCH890 said:

Honestly, If this is because Keller lost the locker room due to saying something during the season and the players want out because of this..

I'm kind of pissed.. as a fan how does one be happy about our team with this much turnover. Especially opening up the NIL shop near late season.. Sure that goes to the student. I'm glad I didn't buy a T-Shirt Jersey or something because everyone is now gone.

It's beyond that.
Anyway you can shine more details instead of being vague?

Somethings have already been said in this thread but they've been blown off. But unfortunately this isn't the place to share the rest. Not appropriate.
Well if its really that bad... then I don't think we need Keller as a coach anymore... Hopefully a one off.. Unless this has been done in the past.
BigJack85
Southland Conference 2.0 coming soon …..
Axe 'Em Jacks - Class of 85'
nacluth
Ivey leaves for the FBS and the FCS goes bust.
SFA Jack Fanatic
I'm on my third bag of popcorn while reading the recent posts in this thread.
SFA Jack Fanatic
The number of MBB insiders, ESP practicioners, and/or crystal ball owners that we suddenly have in the WRJ Forum is impressive!
No-look
Over 665 names in the portal and the tourney just started.
Jacks1989
So how much longer is SFAs administration going to let this go on? SFAs flagship men's basketball program has had practically the whole basketball team walk out on the current coach. I have know idea what happened and probably never will but I can't see Coach K surviving this. I have alway backed Coach K but I think his time has passed and it is time to move on.

SFA Jack Fanatic
I recall seeing data after the '22-'23 season showing the percentage of players who entered the portal and who ended up on the outside looking in, not being offered by any school, and out of basketball completely. Can anyone provide that number, or an approximation thereof? The grass is not always greener on the other side of the fence.
sfajack05
Didn't Keller have locker room issues in his 2nd or 3rd season?
ServiceJack88
He's had locker room issues almost every year.
No-look
Keller may or may not be the issue. Could be other issues. I always give coaches the benefit of the doubt until proven differently.
JHard
No-look said:

Keller may or may not be the issue. Could be other issues. I always give coaches the benefit of the doubt until proven differently.
He's got a nice 8-year streak of getting the benefit of the doubt it seems.
SCH890
SFA Jack Fanatic said:

I recall seeing data after the '22-'23 season showing the percentage of players who entered the portal and who ended up on the outside looking in, not being offered by any school, and out of basketball completely. Can anyone provide that number, or an approximation thereof? The grass is not always greener on the other side of the fence.
2022-23
  • ENTERED
  • COMMITTED
    532 47%

• WITHDRAWN
    151 34%

2021-22
  • ENTERED
  • COMMITTED
    661 76%

• WITHDRAWN
    121 38%

2020-2021
  • ENTERED
  • COMMITTED
    430 92%

• WITHDRAWN
    10 21%

No means an exact number but best website I could find (on3.com)
migata33
William R Johnson Coliseum just entered the tranfer portal.
SFA Jack Fanatic
Makes me wonder how many of the "withdrawn" players were not welcomed back home with open arms...
Rev007
Historically, most of Keller's good teams and good players on those teams didn't walk out on him. The exception in my mind is T.J. Holyfield. Keller knows he can't win with the current team. It has to be dismantled. This current below expectations team reminds me of the 2018-2019 team that went 14-16. Kevon, Comeaux, and Bain stayed. Keller hit the jackpot with the juco recruits and his teams were exceptional the following two years.
JHard
Rev007 said:

Historically, most of Keller's good teams and good players on those teams didn't walk out on him. The exception in my mind is T.J. Holyfield. Keller knows he can't win with the current team. It has to be dismantled. This current below expectations team reminds me of the 2018-2019 team that went 14-16. Kevon, Comeau, and Bain stayed. Keller hit the jackpot with the juco recruits and his teams were exceptional the following two years.
So the answer is hoping that we hit the jackpot each year? Not actually coaching or running a good program?

Brb, reminds me I need to go play the lotto, maybe I'll hit the jackpot so I can give SFA more money.
Rev007
It's definitely a hope and a prayer, but something less painful than utter despair.
SFA Jack Fanatic
Hayman has stated that he's staying at SFA.
ServiceJack88
Who recruited this current team? The man in the moon?
Rev007
God bless loyalty
nacluth
SFA Jack Fanatic said:

Hayman has stated that he's staying at SFA.
Going to go buy that Hayman shirt.
ServiceJack88
It's money not loyalty
Rev007
I'm trying to be glass half full. If Keller isn't going to resign or be bought out, then we should hope for the best.

To answer your question, I don't know who does the recruiting, but their success rate needs to improve.
Jacks1989

Matt!!!! Hell yeah.
TallTexan
Rev007 said:

I'm trying to be glass half full. If Keller isn't going to resign or be bought out, then we should hope for the best.

To answer your question, I don't know who does the recruiting, but their success rate needs to improve.

While I'm not excited about it, this is our situation for atleast two years.

So might as well make the best of it even if the car is out of gas & up on blocks at the moment.

These teams are almost good. A few injuries? Striking out on a true center, losing games by 2 over and over.

I'm hopeful they can figure it out even if I'm not confident. But hey, it's what we're stuck with unless one of y'all wins the Powerball.
Buckets
ServiceJack88 said:

It's money not loyalty

Welcome to college athletics in 2024. Of course he got some more NIL money. And all of your past Lumberjack heroes would've done the same if given the option.

I'd say we should be thankful that we've got folks committed to the program and trying to make NIL work for it.
nacluth
Went to go buy that Hayman shirt, but he's not on the SFA NIL store. Oh well. Hope he does get paid. I'll start the Jossell fund with $20.
SFA Jack Fanatic
TallTexan said:

Rev007 said:

So might as well make the best of it even if the car is out of gas & up on blocks at the moment.

These teams are almost good. A few injuries? Striking out on a true center, losing games by 2 over and over.

I'm hopeful they can figure it out even if I'm not confident. But hey, it's what we're stuck with unless one of y'all wins the Powerball.

Thanks Texan, for the first LEVEL-HEADED AND SENSIBLE comment I've seen on here in the last two days!
BigJack85
Hayman staying in Nacogdoches. Axe 'Em Jacks
Axe 'Em Jacks - Class of 85'
SCH890
SFA Jack Fanatic said:

TallTexan said:

Rev007 said:

Thanks Texan, for the first LEVEL-HEADED AND SENSIBLE comment I've seen on here in the last two days!
Hey now. All I want is a new identity in offense and defense. What Keller is trying to push with this heavy press style did not work, and also, we looked super lost on Offense when a team went Zone.

If something is broken, fix it. If it's working great, keep at it. But so many times it did not work.
ServiceJack88
Buckets said:

ServiceJack88 said:

It's money not loyalty

Welcome to college athletics in 2024. Of course he got some more NIL money. And all of your past Lumberjack heroes would've done the same if given the option.

I'd say we should be thankful that we've got folks committed to the program and trying to make NIL work for it.

I have absolutely no problem with Hayman getting some great NIL out of this. Let's get every student athlete some. Including you.
But let's just honestly call a spade a spade. He didn't just stay to stay.
nacluth
One of the new truths about the wide open portal and the new NIL rules is that no one stays to just stay. Though I bet few athletes did in the past either. Everyone has always tried to get the best for themselves out of their collegiate experience.

If the implication is now he's staying because he's getting paid to put up with something that he wouldn't for free, then it's now called a job.

I'm curious if anyone knows (not specifically for Hayman) but what level of cash it takes to keep someone at a SFA level school: $10K? 25K? 50K? More?

Also, can student athletes even ask around about potential NIL deals legally without entering the portal? Are we seeing so many hit the portal just to see if they can be paid? If we buy more student-athletes for our team, does that make it more professional?
Jacks1989
How much NIL money does SFA have for men's basketball for the past year and the up coming year? Also, how does this compare to other WAC and Southland teams?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.