2023-2024 Lumberjack Basketball

68,111 Views | 711 Replies | Last: 17 days ago by BigJack85
No-look
How long do you want to ignore this user?
If I'm seeing the WAC resume seeding system correctly we are at #4 behind GCU, Tarleton and Seattle which is not great but not really bad either. If we can finish in the three or four spot we get a bye? Winning three games is doable. I'm probably reaching here but Tarleton has a hard stretch to play (as we do) if they lose a few and we steal a few on the road anything can happen. I know I'm the eternal optimist here but it ain't over till it's over…Right?
nacluth
Why not? Definitely this season is still up for grabs.
Jacks1989
Any updates on Day Day and AJ? How bad are there injuries? Are they having surgery?
BigJack85
Jacks1989 said:

Any updates on Day Day and AJ? How bad are there injuries? Are they having surgery?

Ya. Inquiring minds want to know. Also, does AJ have another year of eligibility? Can he apply for a waiver? Does he even want to come back.
No-look
Looking back at the six conference loses we were in all them. Lost some by two, some in OT and some by a few. Been very competitive in all. Still loses but it's not like we didn't have a shot at winning... I think this team is gonna make some noise
No-look
Looks like Tarleton is not folding. We still have a shot at the third or fourth spot. Third is best because we wouldn't see GCU until title game. Seattle now has the third spot. The Seattle game will be huge. I think 3and 4 gets one bye??
No-look
Also if Tarleton or Utah Tech wins the tournament they aren't eligible for the dance so GCU would make it because of resume seeding. Weird stuff
BigJack85
No-look said:

Looks like Tarleton is not folding. We still have a shot at the third or fourth spot. Third is best because we wouldn't see GCU until title game. Seattle now has the third spot. The Seattle game will be huge. I think 3and 4 gets one bye??
Yes. "If" we can beat ACU Saturday (I'll be in the stands cheering us on), then the road trip has some intriguing story lines. UVU and Seattle are games I think we could win. Odds are against us, but stranger things have happened. Maybe we catch a break and make some 3-pointers and the opposition doesn't shoot 45% from beyond the arc.

Axe 'Em Jacks
Slapjack22
Audio seems low. Just me?
djsfw57
Slapjack22 said:

Audio seems low. Just me?

Audio was fine on my end, but the picture was terrible. Very dark.
SFA, Class of 1979
SFASawmillGuy
SFA Jack Fanatic
In watching Coach K's weekly presser today he makes it very clear that AJ won't be back next year.

We wish him and Frank Staine the best.
BigJack85
SFA Jack Fanatic said:

In watching Coach K's weekly presser today he makes it very clear that AJ won't be back next year.

That's a bummer. Looks like we'll have at least two scholarships to offer.
SFA Jack Fanatic
BigJack85 said:

SFA Jack Fanatic said:

Can you say POINT GUARDS??
BigJack85
SFA Jack Fanatic said:

BigJack85 said:

SFA Jack Fanatic said:

Can you say POINT GUARDS??

100%. Plus some horse power at the shooting forward spot. Love Hayman, but we need something more at the rim.
SFASawmillGuy
SFA Jack Fanatic said:

Man I wish we had more time with Frank. Ton of potential for him to be one of the SFA greats.
SFAJack_76
SFAJack_76
SFA Jack Fanatic said:

For what it's worth, DayDay's FB profile says "Former Student athlete at Stephen F Austin State University "
nacluth
In theory we have:

Wilson, Hayman, Jossell, Jenkins at guards
Beaubrun, Southwick, and Stone at forwards
Christmas as a combo.

Haven't included Nana as I haven't heard whether he's coming back for a fifth year. Looks like best case scenario we need five spots though I could see a couple of our guys moving on.

Need big time point guard help. Need a guard who can drive. Need height. Anything else?
No-look
SFAJack_76 said:

SFA Jack Fanatic said:

For what it's worth, DayDay's FB profile says "Former Student athlete at Stephen F Austin State University "
Day Day has been one of my favorite players.
No-look
nacluth said:

In theory we have:

Christmas as a combo.
Haven't included Nana as I haven't heard whether he's coming back for a fifth year. Looks like best case scenario we need five spots though I could see a couple of our guys moving on.

Need big time point guard help. Need a guard who can drive. Need height. Anything else?
can we get two of each?
Jacks1989
Dang that sucks. Hate to hear that about Day Day and AJ. Loved how each played. Day Day played with one arm last year and was one of the best players in the WAC.

I am not ready to talk about next year. Have 2 games to win before WAC Vegas!

SFA Jack Fanatic
SFAJack_76 said:

SFA Jack Fanatic said:

Ouch!!!! You just destroyed my day, 76.
TallTexan
nacluth said:

In theory we have:

Christmas as a combo.

Need an alumni with Bill Gates money.
nacluth
Yeah. I once knew this dude who almost had a startup where he was going to start a home delivery subscription service for the elderly. It almost kicked off before COVID when it would have made major bank…but alas it's an idea whose time still hasn't come.
SFASawmillGuy
TallTexan said:

nacluth said:

In theory we have:

Christmas as a combo.

Need an alumni with Bill Gates money.

Look man idk how many more Powerball tickets I can buy.
SFA Jack Fanatic
For months there have been dozens of comments on here about all of the roster depth the Jacks supposedly have had, other comments about all of the talent on the team, and other comments about Keller yanking guys after only a couple of minutes because of a poor play or two.

Consider this... During tonight's Houston vs. UCF game, the Cougars had three players with 38 minutes of floor time, one with 30 minutes, and one with 26. Have the Jacks had a single player get 38 minutes of regulation playing time in any game this season? Jossell is arguably our best player, but has even he played 38 minutes in a game?

This begs the question, after almost four months are none of our guys in good enough shape and/or talented enough to play those kinds of extended minutes? Or has Keller simply been so enamored with the team's supposed depth that he's been bringing out the hook way too soon all year?

As you can tell, I'm trying my best to make this downer of a season make sense to me.
Rev007
Based on what was told to us prior to the season, you can't make sense of what we witnessed during the season. This was not the best shooting team Coach Keller has had a SFA. Contrarily, I submit it was the worst shooting team I've ever seen. To me, there were only 3 good players on the the team, and two of them dealt with injuries and couldn't finish the season. If I were selecting players from this year's squad to be on next year's, I would for sure pick Jossell, but who knows if he will enter the portal? I would have included DayDay, but he seems to have indicated he won't be back. Additionally, Beaubrun made enough improvement to warrant playing his final season. Finally, one of the other big men deserve another year. My choice would be Nana. I hate to say this, but the rest of the players are a dime a dozen, maybe only a nickel. They may be fine young men off the court, but I'm only giving my opinion observing their basketball skills and deficiencies. Coach Keller brought in a terrible recruiting class. It's not the first time he's done that. Changes need to be made in recruiting and player development or else we have to hope he gets lucky like when he brought in Kensmil .Ware, David K., and Calvin Johnson.
Rev007
Sorry, I left off another player I would definitely bring back. He is Myles Jenkins. He didn't get enough minutes in my opinion to showcase his offensive skills.
nacluth
Yeah. Generally agree with all that Rev. It's a critical offseason for the program. You could say they all are, but this is definitely important for Keller, the fans and some kind of momentum for the program.
BigJack85
I'll offer a reason for Keller rotating in at such a high rate. I think giving players time builds capability at the highest level. Us almost beating GCU on our home court was a sign that we have some of the pieces. Jossell, Hayman, Jenkins, Beaubrun and Nana could be real nice building blocks.

GCU is a senior laden team. Much better talent than us, so how did we almost beat them at home? Our depth did have an impact. If we don't lose DayDay and/or AJ I think we are a 19-20 win team.
Jacks1989
There will be plenty of time after the season to talk about next years team but concerning last year's recruiting class, Chrishawn Christmas can play on my team anytime. That young man played his heart out. Very talented.

Now let's win the next two games.
TallTexan
nacluth said:

Yeah. I once knew this dude who almost had a startup where he was going to start a home delivery subscription service for the elderly. It almost kicked off before COVID when it would have made major bank…but alas it's an idea whose time still hasn't come.

Whoever passed up on that opportunity is an idiot.
SFAJack_76
No-look
The first two teams we will face (with a first round win) is teams we have beaten this year. And we played Tarleton very close first game…our side side of the bracket is an all Texas teams.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.