2023-2024 Lumberjack Basketball

68,094 Views | 711 Replies | Last: 17 days ago by BigJack85
TallTexan
How long do you want to ignore this user?
6th man Facebook page says they had 125k for the year.

I'd be shocked if anyone other than GCU matched that.

Here's the thing though, how many of these guys do we expect to transfer up or into a better situation? Jossell?

That's my problem with blaming NIL. To say "oh it's just because of money" well they'd have to transfer to a better, more well funded program to get more cash than SFA boosters are giving.

So maybe it's not the money.
MasterAxe
TallTexan said:

6th man Facebook page says they had 125k for the year.

I'd be shocked if anyone other than GCU matched that.

Here's the thing though, how many of these guys do we expect to transfer up or into a better situation? Jossell?

That's my problem with blaming NIL. To say "oh it's just because of money" well they'd have to transfer to a better, more well funded program to get more cash than SFA boosters are giving.

So maybe it's not the money.
This is my educated guess on why a player would transfer.

Four things, in no particular order.

Money, Playing time, coaches, culture.
nacluth
I'm definitely not implying that everyone is leaving for money, but on the flip, everyone is saying Matt is staying because of it. I'm just curious if money is a driving factor, what level is significant and how does it change how we see players and programs?
No-look
Of the players that left…Jossell should get a good pay raise(and I don't blame him). Jilil deals with cramps, Wilson needs another year to develop. Playing time most likely a factor with some….Christmas?
Jacks1989
If Matt is getting paid good for him. Really glad he is staying and going to see this through. Hopefully we will have a couple of commits shortly.
Jacks1989
Yeah Christmas. Hate to see him leave. I bet a number of WAC teams would love to have him.
No-look
nacluth said:

I'm definitely not implying that everyone is leaving for money, but on the flip, everyone is saying Matt is staying because of it. I'm just curious if money is a driving factor, what level is significant and how does it change how we see players and programs?
without naming players and schools a couple years ago a WAC player entered the transfer portal and another WAC school offered $80,000 signing bonus. He turned it down for greener pastures
TallTexan
nacluth said:

Oh for sure. I am definitely curious and wish that NIL data ran through the athletic departments so it was more public.

Right now NIL outside of ones own program is a black box.

Personally I do think people overrate it as a factor except when you're talking about the P6- Top 10 leagues. Mostly because I don't think the numbers are as big as everyone claims, especially at the mid and low levels of D1.

I will say, if any schools have money(125k) to spend and want their money to go the farthest, you get more talent return in NIL in the women's game.
SFA Jack Fanatic
Jacks1989 said:

Yeah Christmas. Hate to see him leave. I bet a number of WAC teams would love to have him.
Yes. This loss hurts almost as bad as the Jossell one. Big upside for him.
jboy93
I know this may be a very small sample size, but some athletes can leave and get money on uniqueness of name alone. Christmas would be one of those. TJC had a quarterback a couple years ago named General Booty (given name) that signed with OU and got good money. He has not sniffed playing time while there.
MasterAxe
jboy93 said:

I know this may be a very small sample size, but some athletes can leave and get money on uniqueness of name alone. Christmas would be one of those. TJC had a quarterback a couple years ago named General Booty (given name) that signed with OU and got good money. He has not sniffed playing time while there.
I am absolutely stunned I never saw a Trae Self-Storage commercial.
SCH890
I'm just waiting to see some post that a player has heard from us. So far nothing. I get its early but I would think we would see something.
Jacks1989
Here you go. Trey Moss

Jacks1989
Northwestern State point guard. Chase Forte

SCH890
Jacks1989 said:

Here you go. Trey Moss

Thanks. I remember seeing the NWSt one but not Moss.
Jacks1962
This year's team was 18-15 and 10-10 in WAC. These are great guys but they were not going to win the conference next year. We MAY need a new coach, but for sure we need new and better players.
SFAJack_76
Since Cox and Mason left:

• 2021-22 - 22-10 (14-4) WAC tournament 0-1 CBI 0-1
  • 2022-23 - 19-13 (11-7) WAC tournament 0-1
  • 2023-24 - 18-15 (10-10) WAC tournament 1-1

Jacks1989
Grambling playing Purdue. Aku is doing what he does best. Foul!
nacluth
SFAJack_76 said:

Yep. Really they were all supposed to leave in 20 riding off into the sunset after making the Sweet 16. COVID killed that dream. The assistants were able to get out the next year, but Keller couldn't get a job after the shortened season. And here we are.
No-look
Jacks1989 said:

Grambling playing Purdue. Aku is doing what he does best. Foul!
at least he's in the tournament. lol
TallTexan
nacluth said:

SFAJack_76 said:

Yep. Really they were all supposed to leave in 20 riding off into the sunset after making the Sweet 16. COVID killed that dream. The assistants were able to get out the next year, but Keller couldn't get a job after the shortened season. And here we are.

Yep. He was gonna be a hot name after that Duke win.

Maybe next year.
Rev007
If Coach Keller comes up big next year with a 20 win season, most of these guys that want him fired will be wanting him to sign a contract extension. He knows how to coach when he has good players.
Jacks1989
No-look
Glad he found a home.
nacluth
Yep. Good for him, and it lowers my anxiety about who's going to be our #1 PG.
SFA Jack Fanatic
nacluth said:

Yep. Good for him, and it lowers my anxiety about whose going to be our #1 PG.

Me, too. With all due respect to him, he simply was not a #1 level PG.
BigJack85
SFA Jack Fanatic said:

nacluth said:

Agreed. Would have liked to have him in the roster as a backup.
Axe 'Em Jacks - Class of 85'
SFA Jack Fanatic
Not me. Wish him well, but glad he's moving on.
SCH890
I was kind of surprised he didn't get much playing time in tournament especially the first round. Played more in Junk time in the second round but only 8 minutes..
Jacks1962
I thought Keller gave him all sorts of opportunities to play early in the season. He wasn't terrible, but I think his level of play will be easy to replace. I wish him well.
SCH890
Christmas is Back!
Would love to see him in a Kensmill type role.

BigJack85
SCH890 said:

Christmas is Back!
Would love to see him in a Kensmill type role.

Huge.
Axe 'Em Jacks - Class of 85'
No-look
Christmas will play a major role next season! Glad he's staying!
JHard
SFA Jack Fanatic said:

nacluth said:

For the record, Wilson had the best assist to turnover ratio on the team.

He wasn't the player AJ was, and yeah wasn't as good of a scorer. But I seem to remember us having pretty good teams led my PGs that couldn't shoot better than me.
Rev007
Hopefully Christmas can add a consistent jump shot. His defense and rebounding are good.

I don't see a Kensmil comparison. Kensmil played a different position and had a sizably larger frame.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.