2021 NCAA Football

69,823 Views | 610 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by MarkyMark622
Kat1990
How long do you want to ignore this user?
cboothe09 said:

How do y'all expect life after Holcomb to treat y'all?
I expect the team to take a step back with Will completing his storied career.
Just like the ladies with the loss of Hanna Alberto. Most likely the best to ever play for the program.
There are two very exciting signees coming on board though and I expect that we will still be highly competitive
cboothe09
SFA screwed the pooch with Will. His sister came to SFA and was very successful in high school, if not more than Will. Left without growing much as a player. Feel like things went down similar to Michael Holyfield sending TJ our way...
SFASawmillGuy
The NCAA is meeting about expanding the FBS playoffs to 12 teams, with the top 6 ranked conference champions(based on ranking, doesn't have to be power 5) get an auto bid and 6 at large bids. Top 4 ranked teams gets first round byes.

I like this. It opens the door for G5 schools to actually compete for a national title, some March madness-esque action with top seeds vs G5 schools, and will likely lead to greater parity in college football.

And it makes the prospect of the WAC's 10 year plan of becoming an FBS conference go from attractive to downright sexy. One miracle season where we go unbeaten and capture a top 12 ranking would put us(or any small school for that matter) in the NCAA football tournament.
PurpleOut
Staff
Agreed, a 4-team playoff was a nice step...but it needs to expand.
SFASawmillGuy
My biggest issue is that the 4 team playoff felt barely different from the BCS, and due to it being an actual committee that votes instead of just an algorithm it certainly felt like there was even more bias than ever. To me, a playoff tournament is supposed to create parity. It's supposed to be the ultimate challenge of attrition for these teams. A single playoff game and then the championship hardly felt like that to me.
TallTexan
SFA_03 said:

My biggest issue is that the 4 team playoff felt barely different from the BCS, and due to it being an actual committee that votes instead of just an algorithm it certainly felt like there was even more bias than ever. To me, a playoff tournament is supposed to create parity. It's supposed to be the ultimate challenge of attrition for these teams. A single playoff game and then the championship hardly felt like that to me.

Ya and the 4 slots for 5 power conferences never felt like opportunity for most teams.

And certainly not for the G5. The 6 slots for champions mean a G5 team will always get in. that's a fantastic development.
SFA Jack Fanatic
Eastern Washington's Board of Trustees has voted in favor of the school president's recommendation to remain in D-1. They were considering dropping to D-II (or possibly eliminating football) due to huge income shortfalls.
SFASawmillGuy
That's surprising. They've been very successful in football and Roos field is a very recognizable FCS stadium.
But then again the stadium is relatively small(8400 capacity), meaning even a sold out game for them wouldn't be super profitable. And I'm sure being in Washington gives them a massive travel budget.
SFAJack_76
SFA Jack Fanatic said:

Eastern Washington's Board of Trustees has voted in favor of the school president's recommendation to remain in D-1. They were considering dropping to D-II (or possibly eliminating football) due to huge income shortfalls.
The only nay vote was from a student trustee.
SFA Jack Fanatic
SFA_03 said:

That's surprising. They've been very successful in football and Roos field is a very recognizable FCS stadium.
But then again the stadium is relatively small(8400 capacity), meaning even a sold out game for them wouldn't be super profitable. And I'm sure being in Washington gives them a massive travel budget.

My understanding is that wealthy alumni had stopped donating.
SFAXE93
Athlon Sports' Preseason Top 25 for 2021

https://athlonsports.com/college-football/athlon-sports-preseason-fcs-top-25-2021

1.) JAMES MADISON
2.) NORTH DAKOTA STATE
3.) SAM HOUSTON STATE
4.) SOUTH DAKOTA STATE
5.) DELAWARE
6.) WEBER STATE
7.) NORTH DAKOTA
8.) MONTANA STATE
9.) SOUTHERN ILLINOIS
10.) JACKSONVILLE STATE
11.) MONTANA
12.) MONMOUTH
13.) CENTRAL ARKANSAS
14.) NORTHERN IOWA
15.) SOUTHEASTERN LOUISIANA
16.) VILLANOVA
17.) UC DAVIS
18.) VMI
19.) EASTERN WASHINGTON
20.) CHATTANOOGA
21.) KENNESAW STATE
22.) NEW HAMPSHIRE
23.) AUSTIN PEAY
24.) NICHOLLS
25.) MISSOURI STATE

nacluth
Is Jacksonville St in bold for a reason?
PurpleOut
Staff
On the schedule bruh.
nacluth
Got it. Thanks.
SFASawmillGuy
Technically a conference opponent this season.
SFASawmillGuy
Very fair top 25. By the end of the year I think it'll be us, SHSU, UCA, and probably Jacksonville State in the top 25.
Kat1990
SFA_03 said:

Very fair top 25. By the end of the year I think it'll be us, SHSU, UCA, and probably Jacksonville State in the top 25.
Jacksonville State I see imploding
Lot of transfers out and rumblings from the Jax State fans
SFAJack_76
SFA_03 said:

Technically a conference opponent this season.
Being referred to as the AQ7, for anyone that has missed that.
BigJack85
Katfans folks have to come over to our board. There's only 6 active posters on Katfans. LOL. And the only posts I ever see are regarding football or baseball
SFAXE93
Jacksonville State got approved for an $80 million dollar stadium expansion.

TallTexan
SFAXE93 said:

Jacksonville State got approved for an $80 million dollar stadium expansion.

Are those offices? Dorms? It's a cool look.
SFAXE93
Kind of like The Domain in Austin.

Imagine your apartment at a football stadium.
TallTexan
7 or 8 games a year wouldn't be too bad, especially as a college student.

PurpleOut
Staff
I like it, probably helps keep sound in too.

Just another thing that we couldn't do with the current hills part of Homer Bryce.
TallTexan
PurpleOut said:

Just another thing that we couldn't do with the current hills part of Homer Bryce.

More shade too.

I've always like Seahawks awnings for such a project.

I do wonder what the SFA master plan is for athletics facilities.

The current Steen towers/Football complex footprint is a massive space eater on campus.
BigJack85
TallTexan said:

PurpleOut said:

More shade too.

I've always like Seahawks awnings for such a project.

I do wonder what the SFA master plan is for athletics facilities.

The current Steen towers/Football complex footprint is a massive space eater on campus.

I looked into the athletics master plan a few years ago. It was fairly extensive. I don't recall exactly where I found it. It took a little while.
SFAXE93
This answers the question about the housing at the stadium from a poster on another message board...

"All of the new stuff is all housing for athletics.

The home side is already dorms except for the top 3 levels where the club and skyboxes are. Under the stands on the home side are dorm windows that look at the bottom of the stands.

They're dorms.

If you spend all your time in them, you're doing it wrong.

So at least to me, a view really didn't matter.

If you want a study area with a panoramic view, the top floor of our library is study area which is 250 feet up and glass on all sides. It's a nice place."
TallTexan
Some Big realignment talk today.

Apparently Texas and OU are calling around to other conferences.
SFAXE93
Yes, the SEC.

As if that conference needed to get stronger.
TallTexan
TallTexan
SFAXE93 said:

Yes, the SEC.

As if that conference needed to get stronger.

Just one more step in the direction of an eventual super league.

Which will admittedly be much better for the rest of us.
TallTexan
I am curious whether or not any of these Big 12 realignments affect the WAC eventually.

I can see a scenario where Big 12 poaches AAC and on down.

I doubt anyone comes for NMSU, but never say never.

My guess is maybe an FCS league or two ends up less desirable once all is said and done and gives us a few more options for the final spot of two.
SFAXE93
Right, the FBS will soon be the new FCS as the former FBS P5 move up into their super conference league.

The SEC with UT and OU added would have claim to 14 of the last 20 National Championships since 2000. That is a monster conference.
SFAXE93
Brand value

Forget conference, they could be their own country.

$1.10B Texas
$1.00B Alabama
$891M Georgia
$886M Oklahoma
$872M Auburn
$852M LSU
$728M Tennessee
$635M Florida
$541M Texas A&M
$463M Arkansas
$461M S Carolina
$342M Ole Miss
$271M Kentucky
$223M Miss St
$122M Missouri
$81M Vanderbilt
SFA Jack Fanatic
A little more info on the UT/OU situation...

https://247sports.com/LongFormArticle/Texas-Longhorns-Oklahoma-Sooners-leave-Big-12-join-SEC-conference-realignment-Texas-OU-football-Texas-AM-168151146/#168151146_1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.