2021 NCAA Football

69,837 Views | 610 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by MarkyMark622
SFAJack_76
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Why not to play in the spring.
TallTexan
It's too risky for the athletes and hurts the upcoming fall season.

And we're just now getting below the falls Covid numbers as well.
SFA Jack Fanatic
In a pair of Thursday night games, Prison Tech barely got by a bad 0-5 Northwestern State team 24-16 and Tarleton lost to D-II East Central Oklahoma 21-14. NSU threw for 410 yards against Prison Tech.
SFASawmillGuy
Just another example of what I said about prison tech's offense. It's awesome until it's not.
And their defense relies on being able to frustrate the other team into submission. I think our offense is methodical enough we could grind it out with them.
SFA Jack Fanatic
The NCAA made two significant rules changes yesterday that will be implemented in the 2021 season.

1) Starting with the 2nd OT period, teams will be required to go for 2-point conversions. Previously, that was a requirement beginning with the 3rd OT.

2) If a game reaches a 3rd OT, teams will alternate running 2-point plays rather than beginning drives on the opponents' 25 yard line. Previously, 2-point plays were required beginning in the 5th OT period.
TallTexan
SFA Jack Fanatic said:

The NCAA made two significant rules changes yesterday that will be implemented in the 2021 season.

1) Starting with the 2nd OT period, teams will be required to go for 2-point conversions. Previously, that was a requirement beginning with the 3rd OT.

2) If a game reaches a 3rd OT, teams will alternate running 2-point plays rather than beginning drives on the opponents' 25 yard line. Previously, 2-point plays were required beginning in the 5th OT period.

I hate it. College overtime was fine. 7 OTs were entertaining.

If they're worried about game length they should figure out how to cut down the first 4 quarters.
SFASawmillGuy
They were but I would dare to say this has the potential to create more parity.

Say we're playing an FBS opponent and manage to get the game to OT and make it past the first OT. I would trust us getting a single play over them as opposed to having to I drive 25 yards a lot more. You could start seeing some very interesting play calls when teams know they only have one shot to outsmart a team that potentially is superior with talent.
SFAJack_76
TallTexan said:

SFA Jack Fanatic said:

If they're worried about game length they should figure out how to cut down the first 4 quarters.
I think it is more about player safety. Kids are gassed, and more likely to get hurt playing multiple OT's.
TallTexan
SFAJack_76 said:

TallTexan said:

SFA Jack Fanatic said:

I think it is more about player safety. Kids are gassed, and more likely to get hurt playing multiple OT's.

And I can see that aspect. But just move the starting position back and you'll probably solve most of the problem.

A 2 pt conversion is 50/50. Luck is going to come hugely into play. Luck is less of a factor if you get 4 downs.
SFASawmillGuy
Sam Houston is not looking very intimidating against a bad Monmouth team right now. Sam will win the game, but it doesn't look like they're a dominant team right now.
SFA Jack Fanatic
SFA_03 said:

Sam Houston is not looking very intimidating against a bad Monmouth team right now. Sam will win the game, but it doesn't look like they're a dominant team right now.

Monmouth is 3-0 and in the FCS playoffs. They've played THREE games. What a joke these so-called "playoffs" are!
SFASawmillGuy
Just more proof we made the right choice.
sfa17
SFA Jack Fanatic
NDSU is a 3-point favorite over Prison Tech this weekend. Go, Bison!
SFASawmillGuy
This is not the NDSU teams of the past, since they're playing with a backup QB who was never meant to start. This fall I bet they reload at that position.
This NDSU team might also have the best running game in almost a decade from a Bison team, and still has an overpowering defense. That hot shot SHSU QB will be running for his life against that defensive front.
The Bison are built like an FBS team. They have size. Strength. And depth. They've overpowered teams the past 10 years. They have the clear size advantage against Sam. SHSU's only hope will be a methodical, short, quick passing game. If they try to set up deep plays, it'll be a sack, and if they try to punch it out, they're getting knocked out.
cboothe09
Sam is decimated by injury on the OL. Something like 4/5 starters down. The right side of the line wasn't even on the original two-deep...
SFASawmillGuy
cboothe09 said:

Sam is decimated by injury on the OL. Something like 4/5 starters down. The right side of the line wasn't even on the original two-deep...

Even more evidence that they are severely outmatched.
KC Keeler makes solid teams. He is a national championship coach at Delaware.
But having watched both his Sam Houston teams and his Flacco Delaware teams, he relies very heavily on out matching his opponents. Gameplan-wise he's very plain.
SFASawmillGuy
The Bison's QB play is just not good right now. The loss of Trey Lance really hurt this team for the spring. This backup was never meant to be a starter.
SFASawmillGuy
NDSU couldn't get anything going in Huntsville except special teams. With Trey Lance they no doubt score 50+.
nacluth
Sam onto yet another NCAA semifinal in football.
SFASawmillGuy
It's gonna be so frustrating if they win it all because this spring season is a joke, but that title would be all the bragging rights they'd need to hold over our heads.
Hopefully JMU stops them so we can win a natty first in the fall.
SFAXE93
They get an (*) next to it, if they do.

* You basically played half a schedule
* You didn't play SFA, UCA, HBU, or ACU
* The field was cut short for the playoffs, so you didn't have to play as many games in the playoffs.
TallTexan
SFA_03 said:

NDSU couldn't get anything going in Huntsville except special teams. With Trey Lance they no doubt score 50+.

No ability to throw downfield at all and still had a chance to win it.
SFAJack_76
SFA_03 said:

It's gonna be so frustrating if they win it all because this spring season is a joke, but that title would be all the bragging rights they'd need to hold over our heads.
Hopefully JMU stops them so we can win a natty first in the fall.
Throw them a bone. All the more satisfying when Carthel and friends beat the "defending national champions."
KATatonic
You likely wouldn't be saying that if you were in our position. We played by the same rules everybody else played by. Everybody had the same set of obstacles and issues to deal with. If anything, an asterisk should be that whoever wins it all had to overcome so much more than just winning football games on the field. On top of that, we have played all year without home dressing rooms because of previously scheduled renovations. Also, and I can't speak for other SH fans, I always root for conference mates (yes, even SFA) in the playoffs. A strong and successful conference benefits everybody in the long run.
BigJack85
SFAJack_76 said:

SFA_03 said:

Okay, back to back 60+ point games and blowouts, maybe Sam is good this year...
They are good. Maybe very good. Perhaps playing in the spring was exactly right for them, just as playing in the fall was exactly right for us.

Most of the "hate" is good natured. Which is just fine with me. It wouldn't be a rivalry if we didn't have people like me, that count every victory against Sam. I even enjoy it (limited) when we beat Sam in volleyball or tennis. The point you make is well taken.

The WAC didn't take SFA and Sam because they thought Lamar might come along ....
SFAXE93
I knew a kat would chime in with this.

Don't say you wouldn't be giving SFA grief over this if it was us in your shoes.

SFASawmillGuy
Oh for sure. That "hate" was one of the most fun things I experienced in college. It felt like we were one of the big ones like Texas-OU, Michigan-OSU, Army-Navy.
If we got this game where both of us were top 10 teams or better, a playoff matchup between SFA and Sam, east Texas might burst into flames.
SFA Jack Fanatic
JMU will make all things right this weekend. There will be no squeaking by a 3-win team or squeaking by a NDSU team that is nowhere near the NDSU teams they've had in the last decade (e.g., a QB who looked lost the whole game). And BTW, the entire Spring FCS "championship" playoffs are a joke.
SFAXE93

This kind of facility would work for our program as well.
SFASawmillGuy
Hold on. Let me find my checkbook.
SFA Jack Fanatic
SFA Jack Fanatic said:

JMU will make all things right this weekend. There will be no squeaking by a 3-win team or squeaking by a NDSU team that is nowhere near the NDSU teams they've had in the last decade (e.g., a QB who looked lost the whole game). And BTW, the entire Spring FCS "championship" playoffs are a joke.
It's halftime, and I am LOVING today's JMU game. Ir's a shame that they are having to play a high school team on national TV. That high school team is getting embarrassed. HA!
SFASawmillGuy
As is tradition, Sam got lucky either by favorable matchups or misfortune by the other team(NDSU without a QB) in the early rounds.
Now they've hit the brick wall, and the air raid system is getting exposed.
SFA Jack Fanatic
SFA Jack Fanatic said:

SFA Jack Fanatic said:

It's halftime, and I am LOVING today's JMU game. Ir's a shame that they are having to play a high school team on national TV. That high school team is getting embarrassed. HA!
Well crap. I'm not loving it anymore.
SFASawmillGuy
How you gonna blow a 21 point lead to a non existent animal?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.