2021 NCAA Football

71,174 Views | 610 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by MarkyMark622
SFASawmillGuy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
If Sam even tries to use that as an excuse for the beating they're getting in Houston this fall, we can bring up their fake championship.
AxeEm99
Hopefully you are right! With Sam coming off of the Spring season and having virtually no downtime, that is why we will win. I also think that there is a high possibility that their coach retires sooner than later, possibly as early as this week. That will be good for SFA!
TallTexan
I very much appreciate the Southland shade in this tweet.

SFASawmillGuy
I honestly still think our fall team at our best beats this SHSU team regardless. Our offensive and defensive front is too good.
But I doubt Keeler retires. I'm sure he will get some FBS offers though.
TheRevSFA
SFA_03 said:

I still want to point out that Sam Houston is not the best team in the country. They played a very weak abbreviated conference schedule, a playoff game against a bad team that didn't deserve to be there, a crippled team with literally no QB, and a team that choked its lead away.
SHSU might be the luckiest group, but if you've watched them play, they really aren't special, and I think our fall team could beat them.

Just stop.
Kat1990
SFA_03 said:

I still want to point out that Sam Houston is not the best team in the country. They played a very weak abbreviated conference schedule, a playoff game against a bad team that didn't deserve to be there, a crippled team with literally no QB, and a team that choked its lead away.
SHSU might be the luckiest group, but if you've watched them play, they really aren't special, and I think our fall team could beat them.
Yes lucky non special teams drive 16 plays convert 2 4th downs to win National Championships all the time
SFA Jack Fanatic
Kat1990 said:

SFA_03 said:

Yes lucky non special teams drive 16 plays convert 2 4th downs to win National Championships all the time
Good for you that your school actually finished first in something. Maybe in the Fall they will play a team that actually has a healthy QB.
cboothe09
You are correct. I will admit I was wrong. Three comeback wins in the playoffs. No folding this time around.

Congrats.
kakat10
SFA Jack Fanatic said:

Good for you that your little school actually finished first in something. Maybe in the Fall they will play a team that actually has a healthy QB.

That's because no one cares (except y'all) cares about basketball... Repeat after me: It's ok to say, Wow! that was a great run and I want to be like the Bearkats... National Champions. You know why it's ok? Because that's what your coaching staff is saying right now...

Carthel has been building your program to take down the giants, like Sam Houston. I gotta believe one day it will happen in Houston, but it wont be this year.

Now how many days until basketball? oh wait... no one cares.
djsfw57
kakat10 said:

That's because no one cares (except y'all) cares about basketball... Repeat after me: It's ok to say, Wow! that was a great run and I want to be like the Bearkats... National Champions. You know why it's ok? Because that's what your coaching staff is saying right now...

Carthel has been building your program to take down the giants, like Sam Houston. I gotta believe one day it will happen in Houston, but it wont be this year.

I was with you until this post.
SFA Jack Fanatic
kakat10 said:

Another orange-clad Prison Tech escapee slithers out of the shadowy gloom of Huntsville. BTW, I wouldn't "care" about basketball either if I had lost 18 of the last 21 MBB games to SFA. And at least that many WBB games, too, if not more.
kakat10
SFA Jack Fanatic said:

kakat10 said:

Another orange-clad Prison Tech escapee slithers out of the shadowy gloom of Huntsville. BTW, I wouldn't "care" about basketball either if I had lost 18 of the last 21 MBB games to SFA. And at least that many WBB games, too, if not more.
I never said I had a reason to care... and for the record. When the NCAA Tourney comes around, I talk up SFA the most I can with the people I know. Why? Because a good run from you, helps raise the tide of all boats. Just like a good run by us in another sport like football helps your program.
kakat10
djsfw57 said:

I was with you until this post.
Come hang out at BOTPW with us, you'll find we have a lot in common.
Kat1990
SFA_03 said:

If Sam even tries to use that as an excuse for the beating they're getting in Houston this fall, we can bring up their fake championship.
I mean its been a decade at some point Carthel has you going the right way and it will finally happen. Probably not this year thought. 10 is a nice number
TheRevSFA
Kat1990 said:

SFA_03 said:

I mean its been a decade at some point Carthel has you going the right way and it will finally happen. Probably not this year thought. 10 is a nice number

I mean dude you just won a natty and you're worried about what folks on a SFA board are saying. That's called "rent-free"

Many SFA folks have congratulated Sam on their win, including myself. Chill the **** out already.
SFAXE93
Of the Texas 4 that are gong to the WAC, SFA is the top program.

Since 2008 SFA has not done worse than 3rd in the cup standings overall.

The WAC probably used this information when weighing who they wanted.

The Texas 4 have done pretty good over the years, but SFA has been the top overall program in the last 15 years.

2020-2021: (CURRENT)
1.) SFA
2.) SAM HOUSTON STATE
5.) ABILENE CHRISTIAN
7.) LAMAR

2019-2020:
1.) SFA
2.) ABILENE CHRISTIAN
5.) SAM HOUSTON STATE
8.) LAMAR

2018-2019:
1.) SAM HOUSTON STATE
2.) SFA
3.) LAMAR
4.) ABILENE CHRISTIAN

2017-2018:
1.) SAM HOUSTON STATE
2.) SFA
4.) LAMAR
6.) ABILENE CHRISTIAN

2016-2017:
1.) SFA
2.) SAM HOUSTON STATE
3.) LAMAR
6.) ABILENE CHRISTIAN

2015-2016:
1.) SFA
2.) ABILENE CHRISTIAN
3.) SAM HOUSTON STATE
5.) LAMAR

2014-2015:
1.) SFA
2.) LAMAR
3.) SAM HOUSTON STATE
6.) ABILENE CHRISTIAN

2013-2014:
1.) SAM HOUSTON STATE
2.) SFA
3.) LAMAR
9.) ABILENE CHRISTIAN (1ST YEAR IN THE SLC)

2012-2013:
1.) SAM HOUSTON STATE
2.) SFA
3.) LAMAR

2011-2012:
1.) SFA
4.) LAMAR
5.) SAM HOUSTON STATE

2010-2011:
2.) SFA
5.) SAM HOUSTON STATE
7.) LAMAR

2009-2010:
1.) SFA
5.) SAM HOUSTON STATE
7.) LAMAR

2008-2009:
3.) SFA
5.) SAM HOUSTON STATE
7.) LAMAR

2007-2008:
2.) LAMAR
5.) SAM HOUSTON STATE
6.) SFA

2006-2007:
1.) SAM HOUSTON STATE
3.) LAMAR
5.) SFA
Kat1990
https://www.southland.org/sports/2007/11/28/138704300.aspx

Don't see anything about 20-21 on here
Looks like since 19-20 or combined with the odd Covid times
As you can plainly see the 18-19 last time of complete sports with no covid and 17-18 SHSU won the cup
Women's sports are what usually carry the day for you historically.
SFAXE93
2020-2021

Click on Commissioner's Cup Standing

https://www.southland.org/

And last time I checked, women's sports counts as well.

nacluth
Mod alert: Despite the "friendly" rivalry between the two schools, personal attacks are still not tolerated on this board. Some ribbing and smack talk is tolerated, but not direct attacks.
SFASawmillGuy
I think I've done a good job congratulating the Kat's using the Sawmill Twitter despite a lot of backlash for that, lol. Just want to point out even though my opinions on SHSU as a team haven't changed much I still think this victory is overall great for our rivalry and our new conference.
Pilotgirl
"Very active message board" lol

BTW, we are proud of ALL of our student athletes, which include men AND women
AxeEm99
I am from Huntsville, and my dad was a prof at SH for 35 years. I chose SFA because of the Sam Houston "attitudes!!"
acbearkat
I live in Lufkin, and I'm an SHSU alum. I was born and raised less than 30 miles from the SFA campus, and I chose Sam because of their Criminal Justice program. We're seeing more kids from Angelina County going to Sam, which is great, and I don't blame anyone who chooses to go to SFA, as my mother is an SFA alum.
acbearkat
SFAXE93 said:

2020-2021

Who cares about Commissioner's Cups? We have the national championship, and have made it to the Super Regionals in baseball. Has SFA ever done that? Nope. I'm of the opinion Jay Sirianni needs to be gone. I felt Sirianni was the wrong hire to replace Matt Deggs. I would like to see SFA become competitive in baseball, but I just don't see it ever happening unless the athletic department is willing to pour major money into the program, and what I mean by that is getting an on campus facility. I also believe there needs to be a change at head coach in softball at Sam. This year was a major step backward for the softball program, but I'm afraid Bobby Williams won't make the change. It took years to get rid of Bob Brock.
acbearkat
SFA_03 said:

Fake championship? Give me a break. We beat the two best teams in the country to win the national championship. A banner will be hanging from Bowers soon that says "National Champions". That's all that matters. By the way, I live in SFA territory, as I'm from Lufkin. It will be a tenth loss in a row in Houston if the team is healthy and Schmid plays well. We had injuries on the offensive line and still beat North Dakota State, James Madison, and South Dakota State. Basically our entire team is coming back and the players who were injured on the offensive line will be back in the fall. If Eric Schmid plays in the 2019 game, that game is another blowout. Ty Brock had no business playing in that game, but there was no other option. Right now, SFA can't compete with Sam if the Bearkats play their best game on both sides of the ball.
SFAXE93

Sure are a lot of people taking the time to come over to a SFA board to say how much they don't care.

SFAJack_76
Congratulations to Sam for the FCS football national championship. As I have said on here and Twitter, I think that is a plus for the conference, which is a plus for SFA. If we don't like it, do something about it on the field. I believe our time is coming. Carthel and team took over a program that had been destroyed by the previous administrations. The progress they have made in a short time is remarkable.

The vision of our AD is to be the leading mid major athletic department in the country. That includes all, roughly, 450 student athletes. SLC championships this year in volleyball, soccer, softball, men's indoor T&F, WBB, men's outdoor T&F, and women's outdoor T&F is a positive step. The serious shortcomings in most of the facilities are being addressed. Wish it could be faster, but that takes time, and a lot of money.

For the Kat fans on here, do you suppose that anybody will go to Sam football games now that you have a national championship? Enrollment of roughly 50% more than SFA, yet a home football attendance of roughly 60% of SFA. That's pitiful.
SFAXE93
acbearkat said:

SFAXE93 said:

2020-2021

Who cares about Commissioner's Cups?

"Someone is all Mad! BTW the last two Commissioners Cups have gone to SHSU you know for all sports? You don't win those by having sorry athletes" Kat1990

He obviously does, he brought it up.

Congratulations on the Natty

Kat1990
SFAJack_76 said:

Congratulations to Sam for the FCS football national championship. As I have said on here and Twitter, I think that is a plus for the conference, which is a plus for SFA. If we don't like it, do something about it on the field. I believe our time is coming. Carthel and team took over a program that had been destroyed by the previous administrations. The progress they have made in a short time is remarkable.

The vision of our AD is to be the leading mid major athletic department in the country. That includes all, roughly, 450 student athletes. SLC championships this year in volleyball, soccer, softball, men's indoor T&F, WBB, men's outdoor T&F, and women's outdoor T&F is a positive step. The serious shortcomings in most of the facilities are being addressed. Wish it could be faster, but that takes time, and a lot of money.

For the Kat fans on here, do you suppose that anybody will go to Sam football games now that you have a national championship? Enrollment of roughly 50% more than SFA, yet a home football attendance of roughly 60% of SFA. That's pitiful.
Your AD is very dynamic and does a great job
I agree on some of the last part of your statement
But I can also ask you will anyone show up for BOTPW for SFA? Because that has been severely lacking
The one game that we can count on 18-21K alumni showing up is that game
The hard core SHSU fans even get frustrated by that

I will tell you that the ND State game at 50% capacity was one of the best home crowds noise wise ever
Then the James Madison game was the same.
I also understand yesterday season ticket sales were really good as they should be
Jacks4460
I am glad this season is the first one ever that SFA will be the home team and on the home side of things... Our past athletic administration didnt have the nuts to fight for the home side.. This one got it done.. Home side is gonna help when it comes to things.. I just cant wait until we play at NRG.. Plus now we have some of those degrees that Sam has where if the athlete is not very strong academically then there is still a path to play... So we are now accumulating those ballers that dont have the grades kinda like Sam does... This type of degree or degree plan is what we have been lacking to get transfers to come in and play.. We have some ballers that are choppin wood everyday and that Sam game they will be turned loose... I am happy Sam won... now no excuses on not being able to beat the best..
SFAJack_76
Fanatic, use the ignore user function if you don't want to see it.
PurpleOut
Staff
acbearkat said:

SFAXE93 said:

2020-2021

Who cares about Commissioner's Cups?
I think every Sam Houston fan I've ever seen on your board and social media talks about it. Especially when you win. Don't act like it's not a measuring stick for the league. KatFans has a thread on it every year.

You and Kat1990 are just the traditional Bearkat fans that we've always known...only cares and knows about football and aren't knowledgeable on the rest.
PurpleOut
Staff
kakat10 said:

SFA Jack Fanatic said:

Kat1990 said:

SFA_03 said:

Couldn't find anywhere else to gloat, Kitty Kat? We didn't do that jr. high crap on your desert of a fan page after we won the dozen or so SLC championships this year or after beating your sorry athletes in almost EVERY other athletic event this year.. But good for you that your little school actually finished first in something. Maybe in the Fall they will play a team that actually has a healthy QB.

Lol, terrible take. You should look up the economic impact and exposure of a NCAA Tournament game (or even regular season upset like ours vs Duke).

But again, this is the traditional Sam Houston take.
Kat1990
Negative on not having knowledge of the rest but obviously football is on the mind right now
AC may not care about the Cup but most of us recognize it is the measure of a good all around program

Football yes is our number 1

Baseball is number 2 and I have plenty of knowledge been a very disappointing season for the Kats with a Number 1 draft pick and a good roster that has beaten TCU and Texas A&M but had no consistency

My personal number 3 is golf and we are dominant in that won both men's and women's
Speaking of the women what about that fiasco in Baton Rouge last week? Talk about ridiculous!
We did advance an individual based on conference but just crazy to not let them compete on a course they said was playable.

Men's Golf we are sitting Number 6 going into the last round with chance to get inside top 5 and advance. Also Will Holcombe has a chance as individual. He was a semifinalist at the US Amateur year before last.

Basketball Men's we are all disenchanted and disengaged because of the coaching situation

Basketball Women's The long needed coaching change has greatly improved the program as evidenced by the season we had this year. I though the Lady Jacks were under seeded by the way in the NCCA tournament.
kakat10
PurpleOut said:

kakat10 said:

SFA Jack Fanatic said:

Kat1990 said:

SFA_03 said:

Couldn't find anywhere else to gloat, Kitty Kat? We didn't do that jr. high crap on your desert of a fan page after we won the dozen or so SLC championships this year or after beating your sorry athletes in almost EVERY other athletic event this year.. But good for you that your little school actually finished first in something. Maybe in the Fall they will play a team that actually has a healthy QB.

Lol, terrible take. You should look up the economic impact and exposure of a NCAA Tournament game (or even regular season upset like ours vs Duke).

But again, this is the traditional Sam Houston take.
There is no doubt basketball and the way it's structured to be more even with revenue sharing pays more than any other non-FBS sport. Looking at the last 6 years of NCAA Tourney play, ACU has been just as successful and contributed just as much to the SLC payout as SFA, each responsible for 3 units that will factor into the 2022 payout.

The real shame of it is those units will say with the Southland and do not transfer to the WAC. The hope is that the WAC will be a 2-3 team league which will increase the revenue that is shared.

Interestingly enough, the SLC has more credits currently than the WAC. As far as exposure goes, I'd say three national broadcasts this spring are just as much as any first or second-round game in the NCAA Tourney.

The bottom feeder FBS conference gets somewhere around $17 million to share which is the largest increase of revenue that can be found. I don't know that the increased revenue would offset the increased expenses but if we are collectively spending around what it would take to be FBS it's certainly worth looking at (and from what we've heard, we are).

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.