2020 Season

99,896 Views | 560 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by SFAXE93
SFASawmillGuy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
He's gonna have 1 chance to do so now. His junior years gonna have to be a warm up.
Jacks4460
SFA_03 said:

He's gonna have 1 chance to do so now. His junior years gonna have to be a warm up.
Yeppers he knows that... and it doesnt faze him... Just wants to get better each day and control the things he can control..

SFAfan
It is a shame my son could not find a place on this SFA team. He has tried to walk on twice and both times was not selected. He tells me he outran most of the other LB's in the tryouts, and had a great standing long jump. He was a 100m and 200m guy in high school track. I realize he is lightweight for a LB, but I think he could do fine on special teams like kickoff coverage. Even if he never saw the field for SFA though, his Deans List GPA would definitely benefit the program. He has just became a Senior, so, he might give it just one more try. We sometimes wonder if his ethnicity works against him

SFASawmillGuy
Glad to hear that. He seems like a great guy and a great leader of the team. Honestly his consistency with his accuracy and his size(weight, not height) are really his only setback. He has speed, arm strength, and appears to be confident out there.
If his accuracy is notably improved this year and he plays out like he has the potential too, 2021 could see him on some major award lists and some NFL scouts radar.
SFASawmillGuy
Sometimes it just doesn't work out. College ball is a whole different game, especially at the division 1 level. SFA's linebacking corps is also very stacked already.
When I attended SFA I was as confident as anyone coming from a 3A north central Texas program with all district accolades. But then you get to college and these are guys who are talented enough to play in the NFL. Sometimes it's not just about being fast enough or strong enough. I thought I was good enough at the time but if you look at it objectively it takes a special player to be a D1 athlete.
TallTexan
SFAfan said:

It is a shame my son could not find a place on this SFA team. He has tried to walk on twice and both times was not selected. He tells me he outran most of the other LB's in the tryouts, and had a great standing long jump. He was a 100m and 200m guy in high school track. I realize he is lightweight for a LB, but I think he could do fine on special teams like kickoff coverage. Even if he never saw the field for SFA though, his Deans List GPA would definitely benefit the program. He has just became a Senior, so, he might give it just one more try. We sometimes wonder if his ethnicity works against him

Good luck to him this fall. I tried to walk on & couldn't even get a try out time lol.

I'm kinda thankful for it now after seeing all the guys my age who are already hurting daily in their 20s.

But when you're young, you just want to be on the field. If he's fast but slightly smaller than an LB, has he tried catching on as a long snapper? That might be a way to get an in on special teams and is something you can pick up over the summer.
Jacks4460
SFAfan said:

We sometimes wonder if his ethnicity works against him

No need to wonder I can guarantee 100% that with this staff your sons ethnicity doesn't matter...
SFAXE93
Former McNeese DB Coach Marcus Walker now at SFA.

https://mcneesesports.com/sports/football/roster/coaches/marcus-walker/1498
SFAXE93
This may have already been discussed but when do the SFA athletics return to campus?

SHSU just announced that their athletics begin returning June 15.
SFAfan
Jacks4460 said:

SFAfan said:

We sometimes wonder if his ethnicity works against him

No need to wonder I can guarantee 100% that with this staff your sons ethnicity doesn't matter...
I am not sure why my last post was deleted. I said nothing wrong. I will definitely still wonder about his ethnicity being a factor. Your "guarantee" is nothing but words on a fan forum. In sports espically, biases DO exist.
nacluth
Quote:

I am not sure why my last post was deleted. I said nothing wrong. I will definitely still wonder about his ethnicity being a factor.
You answered your first sentence with your third. Your post and the subsequent replies were all deleted because this forum does not allow defamatory speech (as listed in the user agreement). The charge of racism or "reverse racism" against the football staff - even the supposition or "wondering" about it - is tacitly made to impugn the character of the organization.

While indeed biases do exist, floating the charge of one on a public forum to account for your disapproval of a decision made against your son is not acceptable here. It was not the intent to start a conversation on the role of biases in collegiate sports but to cast aspersion.

Please do not feel like moderation means that we do not want your contribution to our forum, but broad insinuations against the ethics of SFA sports staffs are not allowed.
SFAJack_76
SFAXE93 said:

Former McNeese DB Coach Marcus Walker now at SFA.

https://mcneesesports.com/sports/football/roster/coaches/marcus-walker/1498
SFASawmillGuy
A really good get.
SFAfan
nacluth said:

Quote:

I am not sure why my last post was deleted. I said nothing wrong. I will definitely still wonder about his ethnicity being a factor.
You answered your first sentence with your third. Your post and the subsequent replies were all deleted because this forum does not allow defamatory speech (as listed in the user agreement). The charge of racism or "reverse racism" against the football staff - even the supposition or "wondering" about it - is tacitly made to impugn the character of the organization.

While indeed biases do exist, floating the charge of one on a public forum to account for your disapproval of a decision made against your son is not acceptable here. It was not the intent to start a conversation on the role of biases in collegiate sports but to cast aspersion.

Please do not feel like moderation means that we do not want your contribution to our forum, but broad insinuations against the ethics of SFA sports staffs are not allowed.
My apoligies, I operated under the assumption this was (within reason) an open forum, not just an echo chamber for happy SFA talk. On the heels of a multi-sport postseason ban, I guess some things are too touchy to talk about. Its just too bad more Deans List student-athletes did not have the opportunity to participate. Likely the ban could have been avoided, don't you think?
Jacks4460
June 29th
Jacks4460
SFAfan said:

nacluth said:

Quote:

My apoligies, I operated under the assumption this was (within reason) an open forum, not just an echo chamber for happy SFA talk. On the heels of a multi-sport postseason ban, I guess some things are too touchy to talk about. Its just too bad more Deans List student-athletes did not have the opportunity to participate. Likely the ban could have been avoided, don't you think?

Hehehehe my goodness you ask some dumb ass questions.. All this happend before the current regime was around so there are zero worries moving forward in my book...
PurpleOut
Staff
SFAfan said:

nacluth said:

Quote:

It is an open forum. Anyone is welcome to post, and this place is more open/rule less than probably any other sports forum that you could find. You haven't been here long enough if you think it's an echo chamber of only happy SFA talk. Everyone is welcome to share their opinion good or bad, 2018-2019 basketball season clearly shows that. Nothing of what you were talking about has or had anything to do with the bans and punishment. But you know that.
Jacks4460
Ban comes at the right time because we will be in contention for a NC after this year... Coach Carthel and staff will get us there... Our young men have bought in and the ones that havent went on to greener pastures.. We are accumulating some serious depth and again our coaches are top notch...
SFAXE93
Jacks4460

Has the team been working out voluntarily on campus or is this 29th date the first time they will be back since March?
Jacks4460
They have been working out voluntarily... Not sure how many are on campus yet... I assume some of the upper classmen are since they live off campus and live in Nac already.. I know our QB is working his ass off.. Coaches seem to be working too... We got a transfer WR and I will let the school announce the name... Yep 29th is first team meeting and all need to be on campus and in town.. So I bet the 29th will be the first time some of the guys get back around each other.. I Gipson working his tail off too... I will be willing to say most of our team is busting their ass and just chomping at the bit to get back out there as a team..
SFAJack_76
SFAfan said:

nacluth said:

Quote:

Its just too bad more Deans List student-athletes did not have the opportunity to participate. Likely the ban could have been avoided, don't you think?

No, I don't think so at all.

Clearly you have no interest in the facts. I won't respond to your other inane accusations, but to place the blame of the violations on student-athletes that did nothing wrong is way off base. The implication that they were not smart kids is blatantly wrong and biased.
TallTexan
Pace coming back?

SFASawmillGuy
*smiles in lumberjack
TallTexan
Biggest recruiting win of the year tbh.
SFASawmillGuy
Only bad thing about it is if we didn't have a postseason ban I would pretty much put money on a playoff run(even as the last seed to get in).
TallTexan
It sucks for sure. Especially since this squad has fixed most of the problems. They've got a much better GPA.

Just pretend SMU is that playoff game & go shock the world.
Jacks4460
Tamrick will now get some good film on himself for the NFL scouts... This is huge seeing that the previous coaching staff thrashed him to the scouts... I could see Rick going in the Top 4 rounds with a good year... He was ready this year then the APR thing but that is all behind us now I dont even wanna think about APR... He has size, speed, hands, runs solid routes, and most of all is a leader by example...Works his tail off and with this Carthel staff he will be our next NFL player..
MasterAxe
Jacks4460 said:

Tamrick will now get some good film on himself for the NFL scouts... This is huge seeing that the previous coaching staff thrashed him to the scouts... I could see Rick going in the Top 4 rounds with a good year... He was ready this year then the APR thing but that is all behind us now I dont even wanna think about APR... He has size, speed, hands, runs solid routes, and most of all is a leader by example...Works his tail off and with this Carthel staff he will be our next NFL player..
I'd pump the brakes on Top-4 rounds...that is borderline insanely undoable. He would need to have incredible/INCREDIBLE numbers to jump that high. 4th rounders are guys drafted who have a real expectation from the team of making the club immediately.

For example, the only WR in the 4th round this year was Gabriel Davis from UCF...he had 72/1200 as a senior. Those are insane numbers.

Pace may have 4th round (or better) talent, but him being drafted there is so incredibly unlikely. Working against him too is the fact that we do not have a next level QB. All these guys in college that put up insane stats have QB's that will, at least, get as shot at the next level.

Trae Self...not that guy. Good athlete, gonna get better as a passer, but not nearly that good.

I see Pace as a comp to Cordell Roberson. Cordell went 77/1000/10TD's his senior year on the heels of two great years as a Jr. and Sophomore...and wasn't drafted.

Pace may have to make it on talent potential...cause unless something goes ballistic, he's simply not going to have the eye-popping numbers that FCS guys need to stand out.

But, here's hoping.
SFASawmillGuy
I think a difference with Cordell and Tamrick that favors Pace is that we run much more of a pro style offense now though and Cordell was in an air raid.

Tamrick will run a lot more routes that are comparable to what he's gonna run in the NFL, whereas Cordell ran a ton of fly routes and posts.

It's the same reason Jeremy Moses, who put up some of the best stats in college football history, had absolutely zero chance of being even considered for an NFL roster.(his height could have been overlooked if he played in a more NFL friendly system)

Tamrick(and likely Self next year) will get a more fair look than a lot of our past players got because of our style, the fact Carthel has NFL connections, and yes, his raw talent.

Don't get time wrong, top 4 rounds likely won't happen, but I also don't think he will be so far off the scouts radar that he won't hear his name called or have a legit chance to make a roster.
MasterAxe
SFA_03 said:

Tamrick(and likely Self next year) will get a more fair look than a lot of our past players got because of our style, the fact Carthel has NFL connections, and yes, his raw talent.

Don't get time wrong, top 4 rounds likely won't happen, but I also don't think he will be so far off the scouts radar that he won't hear his name called or have a legit chance to make a roster.
I'm on the same page here. Pace's physical attributes will put him on the radar, he'll need some numbers to back it up but he should be a decent candidate for a LATE round pick or a priority FA.
Jacks4460
MasterAxe said:

SFA_03 said:

I'm on the same page here. Pace's physical attributes will put him on the radar, he'll need some numbers to back it up but he should be a decent candidate for a LATE round pick or a priority FA.
I feel the big difference will be the NFL connections that Carthel and staff have. We have never had a staff that has the NFL connections or respect that our current staff does... You are right I see a 75 for 1100 yds 10 TD type of season... We will just wait and see.. Talent is there and the work ethic is there. Self will make a big leap this year.. OL will be much much deeper this year and that will help Self..
TallTexan
Gonna put this here. I'm looking forward to this game.

SFASawmillGuy
Troy really looking to lose to the 2022 FCS reigning national champions at home in 2023 aren't they?
SFAXE93
SFA vs. Kansas 2025
SFA Jack Fanatic
SFAXE93 said:

SFA vs. Kansas 2025
$450,000 guaranteed payday. Game will probably be played in Week 1 (Aug. 28-30).

Jacks will also play Montana State in 2024 (away) and 2025 (home game on Sept. 13).

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.