2020 Season

100,551 Views | 560 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by SFAXE93
SFA Jack Fanatic
How long do you want to ignore this user?
TallTexan said:

Jacks4460 said:

We got WT coming to Nac.. I am pretty sure..

Who is WT?

West Texas A&M
TallTexan
SFA Jack Fanatic said:

TallTexan said:

Jacks4460 said:

We got WT coming to Nac.. I am pretty sure..

Who is WT?

West Texas A&M

Cool. I like that school. I was thinking West Tennessee or something.

Interesting that they choose not to go with the A&M label on the sports branding.
TallTexan
Pilotgirl said:

https://www.texasfootball.com/article/2020/08/21/schedule-chaos-abound-in-southland-conference-as-football-teams-determine-fate-of-2020-and-beyond?ref=article_preview_title

Good catch. Love Shehan's articles.

I have my reservations about playing this fall. I also don't have confidence it'll be any safer in the spring based on prior behavior of the US populace.

That said, I think this is a bold move by SFA to see if it can open up a perception difference on the conference.

I know Ivey and crew are saying it's because of sanctions, getting healthy, etc, but I think us and UCA decided to take a chance to break away from the pack while they weren't looking.
SFAJack_76
PurpleOut said:

Our schedule has Oct 10th as TBD but in New York, NY.

Still shows it as TBD, but NY has been taken off.
TallTexan
Hold up, we're not eligible for NCAA championships right?

But the CFP isn't run by the NCAA. It's run by the College Football Playoff Committee.

I see a loophole for SFA.
SFASawmillGuy
SFA for CFP confirmed.
SFAJack_76
SFAXE93 said:

UTEP went 1-11 last season edging out SLC opponent HBU 36-34 for their lone victory.

The Miners gave up 36 points a game, while scoring only 19.

The only QB that returns with any game experience would be sophomore Gavin Hardison 6-3; 205 out of Hobbs, New Mexico (NMMI) who played in two games completing 27 passes for 335 yards and 1 TD. Also, an option is talented Red Shirt Freshmen TJ Goodwin 6-5; 205 Houston, Texas (Cypress Falls) a three-star recruit who was rated the #66 pro QB coming out of high school.

The Miner's top returning running back is senior Josh Fields 5-9; 195 who had 59 carries for 312 yards (5.3 ypc) and leading receiver senior Justin Garrett 6-1; 200 leading the team with 446 yards on 40 catches for 3 TDs.

This basically is a rebuilding year for UTEP (if you can call it that) with the loss of their starting QB, RB, leading defensive player in Michael Lewis who lead the team in tackles with 96 on a defense that only had a total of 13 sacks for the season.

The UTEP defense gave up 230 yards a game through the air and 201 yards a game on the ground, all and all giving up a total of 5,170 yards for the season.

SFA should beat this team (and I expect them to), and beat them handily.
Reported that Hardison is getting all the first team reps. Goodwin is not at practice today. Hardison appears to be the QB. Hardison was 27-61 with -7 yards rushing in his two games last season. Advantage Lumberjacks.
SFAJack_76

TallTexan
Unless Army is adding a 12th, don't think we're making the cut.

TallTexan
Jacks4460
TallTexan said:

Unless Army is adding a 12th, don't think we're making the cut.

Looks like ACU and UCA are beating us to the punch on some better higher competion games.. UCA getting the football game for this Saturday is genious... only show on a Saturday night... thats some exposure.. wonder why we couldnt swing that.. we have the Austin Pea connections...
TallTexan
Ya wish we could have pulled that off.

I'm guessing we see a finalized schedule this week.
Jacks4460
Just seeing that UCA and NDSU are playing this fall... Sheesh..... why are we waiting so long to get games against quality opponents and why is UCA kicking our asses in scheduling during this covid season...
TallTexan
Jacks4460 said:

Just seeing that UCA and NDSU are playing this fall... Sheesh..... why are we waiting so long to get games against quality opponents and why is UCA kicking our asses in scheduling during this covid season...

On field results. They've got the receipts, we don't. That's a big factor when your a G5/winning FCS program trying to put together a schedule, so they call UCA.
Buckytaylor
It appears that we are trying to fill a schedule and keep us happy with some home cookin. UCA is sacrificing a lot of travel for their schedule. SFA is working on being competitive and thrifty and pleasing to the fanbase, all 3 difficult tasks. I feel like there will be at least one big school left to be determined. Maybe a Tulsa or a Memphis with maybe a Cotton Bowl or Dallas site to stir up a little interest from Metroplex alumns
Buckytaylor
It appears that we are trying to fill a schedule and keep us happy with some home cookin. UCA is sacrificing a lot of travel for their schedule. SFA is working on being competitive and thrifty and pleasing to the fanbase, all 3 difficult tasks. I feel like there will be at least one big school left to be determined. Maybe a Tulsa or a Memphis with maybe a Cotton Bowl or Dallas site to stir up a little interest from Metroplex alumns
Buckytaylor
SFAXE93
A UCA poster on another message board says he is hearing that one of their games may have fallen through and that they maybe looking at playing South Dakota State 3X.
Jacks4460
TallTexan said:

Jacks4460 said:

On field results. They've got the receipts, we don't. That's a big factor when your a G5/winning FCS program trying to put together a schedule, so they call UCA.
Thanks Texan I didnt think about that... I just know we have winners in our program and I guess we havent actually won on the field yet which we will... i am good now... thanks for your point of view...
Jacks4460
Buckytaylor said:

Thanks Bucky..between you and Texan yall will get me thinking right... I agree I guess I was just being greedy and wanting some big money games so that our team can have a nicer locker room or a great down payment for an indoor facility for use by all our ath teams... I understand the competitive part and trying to watch what we spend travleling also.. thanks for the reply.. i was getting a little twisted thinking..
TallTexan
Schedule has us down for 5 games so far.

Still a decent number of openings in Oct/Nov to play.

SFAJack_76
"Several others"
nacluth
A tough September. If we can be competitive in any of those games past three quarters, I will be happy.
TallTexan
SFAXE93
It really shows you just how long a QB has to get rid of the ball.

That's a lot of moving parts coming your way that you have to be aware of.
SFAXE93
SFAXE93

I see a Zachary Lord 6-10; 270 (Sr.) on the roster.

I think it is this guy who was a basketball center at Dallas Baptist (from Liberty Hill, Texas) who transferred to Arizona to play football, tight end.

But I can't find anything on him actually playing football at Arizona or find anything on him in any of their past rosters.

That's a big target!
PurpleOut
Staff
SFAXE93 said:

I see a Zachary Lord 6-10; 270 (Sr.) on the roster.

I think it is this guy who was a basketball center at Dallas Baptist (from Liberty Hill, Texas) who transferred to Arizona to play football, tight end.

But I can't find anything on him actually playing football at Arizona or find anything on him in any of their past rosters.

That's a big target!
Found this at least: https://tucson.com/sports/arizonawildcats/football/arizonas-newest-football-player-is-a-hoops-playing-texan-who-took-advice-from-bum-phillips/article_802048f8-839b-56ee-ab07-69299c0387de.html

Looks like he at least had a roster spot on the site at some point, that has been deleted and returns a 404.
PurpleOut
Staff
They actually moved him to OT.

SFASawmillGuy
So he dropped 3 inches?
TallTexan
SFA_03 said:

So he dropped 3 inches?

That desert humidity really dries you out.
SFAJack_76
SFAXE93
I see Aretavious Hendrix is listed now as a safety on the roster which leads way for Willie Roberts to start at CB.
"History has no rubbish heap." Louis Blake Duff
Jacks4460
SFAXE93 said:

I see Aretavious Hendrix is listed now as a safety on the roster which leads way for Willie Roberts to start at CB.
I dont think Willie ever lost his job except for the short period he entered the portal and his old position coach convinced him to go to Nevada.. Then Willie changed his mind and got out of transfer portal.. We got a deep squad this year.. Brooks and Gordon in the CB rotation too..
SFAXE93
Yes, huge for the Jacks that Willie changed his mind as he is a great talent at CB.

Get ready to beat some FBS teams this season.
"History has no rubbish heap." Louis Blake Duff

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.