2020 Season

100,558 Views | 560 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by SFAXE93
TallTexan
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Holy cow who was this?

cboothe09
UCA started announcing changes to their schedule earlier in the week, including a home-and-home with Missouri State. Them, along with us, are two pissed off programs that the SLC cannot afford to lose. I think the SLC as we know it, is done...
TallTexan
PurpleOut said:

cboothe09 said:

Judging by the sounds of Carthels quote, Southland games might be out of conference games for us in the not so distant future...
I've been thinking the same thing.

Crosses fingers, buys lucky rabbit's foot. I'll cash in all my good karma for the effort of moving conferences.
PurpleOut
Staff
TallTexan said:

Holy cow who was this?

I'd guess Lamar or McNeese. Weren't they the two that basically immediately stopped everything?
SFA Jack Fanatic
cboothe09 said:

Play four buy games, call it a redshirt season for 90% of the roster and go with it...Money made and no eligibility lost...

I had not thought of that! Brilliant!

BTW, if we can get ANY money games, I'm sure the paydays will be smaller -- perhaps much smaller -- than they would have been in past years due the financial squeezes on everyone, even the big guys.
TallTexan
Per a Lamar fan on Reddit, it was Lamar with 32 cases.
TallTexan
OK some rough math. At any given time there are 120 FBS teams, plus 127 FCS teams, all vying for broadcast spots any given Saturday.

Presently, there are roughly 76 teams whose conferences still intend to play.

Then there are say 8-10 teams such as Nebraska and SFA who "intend" to play a full slate.

So 86 teams out of 227. That's roughly 40%. And whereas you'd have 97 games on any given weekend on a regular week, you'd have 36 games on any given week this year. Assuming a similar number of people tune in, you're looking at 2.5 times as many eyeballs on any given game than a year prior. Obviously this won't be 100%, but people watch random college football games.

Supposing that SFA can schedule some P5 opponents, you're looking at a significant marketing opportunity for SFA if it's safe to play.

So who's available to play. Here's the tricky part. SEC is conference only. No warmup games.

Big 12 and ACC are mostly scheduled for their one non conference games. This could change if teams like HBU drop out of their matchups with tech.

So, available with schedule rooms is "Nebraska, Iowa, BYU, Army, Liberty, the Sunbelt, Conference USA, & the AAC.

Conference USA & CUSA have an odd number of teams, so someone won't have an opponent every single week.

Expect a decent number of Sunbelt games as well, as they'll need to fill early season cancelation and are more our level.

Carthel says he expects to be able to schedule a full 11 games, so I'm assuming they already have had conversations with many potential opponents.

If it's safe to play, this could be the opportunity of a lifetime.
PurpleOut
Staff
Looks like we have a decent idea of what's going to happen, assuming we can get in games at home.

Quote:

As for fall competition, we are still in the process of evaluating non-conference competition possibilities for football, soccer and volleyball. Once a fall adjusted schedule is set, a limited number of single game tickets will be on sale for each game allowing us to meet our capacity limitations. Single game ticket buying opportunities will be extended to current season ticket holders first before the general public as that schedule is set.

SFAJack_76
TallTexan said:

Per a Lamar fan on Reddit, it was Lamar with 32 cases.
Yep ... Lamar.
Ljacks&Longnecks
ESPN and others have reported that Nebraska has given in and decided no fall football.
Jacks4460
Nice thinking Texan..
cboothe09
I feel like Texas said no...
SFAJack_76
This is LaCoryien Washington. You will remember him as the young man that got shot in the head while visiting home last season. This is tough news for him, but he is blessed to be alive.
TallTexan
SFAJack_76
The SMU posted schedule shows our game moved to September 26.

https://smumustangs.com/sports/football/schedule/2020
SFAJack_76
Baylor needs a game for September 12. We happen to have that date open now. Perhaps? Please!

https://baylorbears.com/sports/football/schedule/2020
TallTexan
SFAJack_76 said:

Baylor needs a game for September 12. We happen to have that date open now. Perhaps? Please!

Dang ya. They don't have their one OOC game scheduled yet.
SFAJack_76
SFAJack_76
TallTexan said:

SFAJack_76 said:

Dang ya. They don't have their one OOC game scheduled yet.
It was Incarnate Word, but they aren't playing in the fall. Another money game would be huge!
TallTexan
Our high school friends down in Houston got 3 buy games on the schedule. Wonder if they plan to continue playing.

That Baylor game would be huge though.
SFAJack_76
SFAXE93
Lots of teams need Sept. games

Houston is open for Sept. 12
Baylor Sept. 12
UTSA has openings for Sept. 5, Sept. 19 and Oct. 17
Louisiana - Monroe Sept. 5 opening
Southern Mississippi Sept. 19 opening
Rice Sept. 19 opening
App State Sept. 5, Sept. 19 openings
Georgia State Sept. 3 opening
SFASawmillGuy
SFAXE93 said:

Baylor Sept. 12
Rice Sept. 19 opening

Potentially we could compete and/or win against Rice, UTSA, or ULM.

I mean we could hypothetically win any of those. But that's our best chances to win.
SFAJack_76
SFAXE93 said:

Baylor Sept. 12
Rice Sept. 19 opening
Tulsa Sept 5 (Toledo cancelled) and Sept 19 (Northwestern State cancelled)

La Tech had a Sept 5 game against UNLV cancelled. Interestingly, La Tech schedule shows them playing at Baylor on Sept 26. Both Baylor and Kansas schedules show they are playing at Waco Sept. 26.

Carthel keeps saying we will have a game Sept. 5.

I believe schedules are still "fluid".
SFASawmillGuy
I think one of our players ruined the 8-18-2020 reveal of the new uniforms. Lol
SFAJack_76
SFA_03 said:

I think one of our players ruined the 8-18-2020 reveal of the new uniforms. Lol
TallTexan
If we play this season, I think some of it is going to be playoff style, where you might or might not have a game scheduled and then have to jump in to fill a slot for a quarantined opponent. Or have to find a game bc your opponent gets quarantined.
TallTexan
Tulsa might not have that Sept 5th slot open. My guess is they skip that one.

Ljacks&Longnecks
Author
"Great question, we are finalizing our fall schedule and season tickets are the only way, as of now, to guarantee admission to non-conference games this fall and the conference games moved to the spring. We should know our fall/spring schedule soon.Thank you for your support!"

This is from a FB post advertising football season tix. Someone asked how they were selling them when no schedule exists and this was the response from SFA Athletics......So fall and Spring games??
sfa17
Rumor from reporter from El Paso times

SFA Jack Fanatic
sfa17 said:

Rumor from reporter from El Paso times

Funny that this guy would bring up the Poultry Bowl. SFA played in that in about 1776, didn't we?
SFAJack_76
Ljacks&Longnecks said:

Author
"Great question, we are finalizing our fall schedule and season tickets are the only way, as of now, to guarantee admission to non-conference games this fall and the conference games moved to the spring. We should know our fall/spring schedule soon.Thank you for your support!"

This is from a FB post advertising football season tix. Someone asked how they were selling them when no schedule exists and this was the response from SFA Athletics......So fall and Spring games??
Who knows. Carthel has been very clear and consistent that he doesn't want to play in the spring.
SFAXE93
I'm I reading this right?

It doesn't match their official website.

TallTexan
Last I heard the Big 12 was just doing one OOC game.
SFAXE93
ok I think he is just making schedules up.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.