2020 Season

100,534 Views | 560 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by SFAXE93
SFAJack_76
How long do you want to ignore this user?
SFA Jack Fanatic
SFAXE93 said:

I'm I reading this right?

It doesn't match their official website.

Both Tech and HBU are showing them playing each other on Sept. 12. And the HBU coach said the same last week.
SFAXE93
UTEP is a very winnable game for the Jacks.
SFAJack_76
SFAXE93 said:

UTEP is a very winnable game for the Jacks.
From a UTEP message board.

"That's literally the last team I would want to schedule. Their coach Colby Carthel lobbied hard for the UTEP job. He wanted the job several big name high school coaches from outside El Paso called Senter on Carthel's behalf. Hrs going to have something to prove. We're going to pay them to come here and their coach will have huge chip his shoulder. Dangerous game. They started rough last year but won three of their last four. If nothing else if anybody in the media has any balls they will ask Senter why he passed over a coach who had just won a d2 national championship for Dimel."
Buckytaylor
Let's not turn this game hunt into an audition for our coaching staff. I like the play for cash season, with some home games in the mix.
TallTexan
Lol. I'm glad they have such a high opinion of Carthel. I do too.

I also get why UTEP hired Dimel.

That was back before we hired Carthel though and we're going to have to win some games before he gets that next big promotion.
TallTexan
Per Dave Campbell's crew, Lamar is still undecided.
PurpleOut
Staff
New uni video.

The video itself is incredible. We are miles above everyone when it comes to production and social media.

TallTexan
That video is top notch.
SFAJack_76
SFAJack_76
Baylor is out. LaTech is their non conference.
Pilotgirl
I am just now realizing that I went to college as a Miner AND a Lumberjack lol

UTEP is a beautiful campus...the architecture is superb and I always enjoyed going to events at the Sun Bowl. If it weren't for COVID, I would go to that game and visit my EP folks (of course we wouldn't be playing them but y'all get what I am saying).
Pilotgirl
UTEP has had 6 players test positive for COVID...2 just two days ago...
SFAJack_76
cboothe09
It has begun...Let the exudus begin and we shall follow Ivey to the promised land (aka anywhere but the SLC).
SFA Jack Fanatic
SFAJack_76 said:

I was wondering why no opponents had been identified yet. This article explains why. We may know a lot after tomorrow.
TallTexan
cboothe09 said:

It has begun...Let the exudus begin and we shall follow Ivey to the promised land (aka anywhere but the SLC).

Sam wants to tag along, but tbh, if I had to choose a travel partner from the existing SLC, it'd be ACU.
cboothe09
Sam is such a weird school, and I'm not saying that from a rival standpoint. They are really good across the board athletically. Football and baseball are among the best in FCS, and basketball is really good, but happens to be snakebit by a better program. Track is good and all their womens programs are good as well.

From a competitive standpoint, they can go just about anywhere we do. From a financial standpoint, they can't go anywhere. Not enough support which blows my mind. With their success and proximity to Houston, you would think they could do so much better.

I'd rather have ACU as a running mate, but the potential is there in Huntsville.

Now I'm going to go an vomit for saying all of those things...
SFAXE93
The reason is Sam is a commuter school, filled with people who don't really care to be there for sporting purposes, just taking some classes.

If you are at SFA in the Nac. Mostly likely you really wanted to go there for your college experience including attending sporting events. Nac. Is not close to a big major city to go do other things.
cboothe09
Definitely a commuter school, but they have no footprint for a fanbase in Huntsville or surrounding communities. Nothing from Conroe or Willis. None of my coworkers really have anything to do with the school and don't attend sporting events.

I understand that Houston is a harder market to crack because of UH and alumni presence from A&M, UT, Tech, and Baylor. Heck, out of state schools have a bigger presence in Houston than Sam. I don't understand how they cannot build any type of following in their communities. Maybe they need to reserve seating for the trustee's at the different prisons. Those dudes would be more than happy to leave the fences to watch a game..
Jacks4460
TallTexan said:

cboothe09 said:

Sam wants to tag along, but tbh, if I had to choose a travel partner from the existing SLC, it'd be ACU.
I would choose UCA... They run a top notch athletic program..
TallTexan
You guys aren't wrong. They're too close to Houston not to be a commuter, but too far for kids to drive back in for a sporting event. And they don't have the cult like draw of A&M that keeps kids there for a Saturday game through sheer power of tradition.

They could build a local fanbase in Huntsville, but I don't think they really see lack of attendance as a problem. Even people I knew in the athletic dept were like "why would people show up to watch us play HBU, they want better opponents".

But they never could explain how they'd get higher attendance playing Louisiana Monroe or UTSA.

TallTexan
Jacks4460 said:

Not a bad choice, it would really depend on which conference you were heading too.

A small note, UCA is actually 30 miles/minutes closer.
Jacks4460
TallTexan said:

Jacks4460 said:

Not a bad choice, it would really depend on which conference you were heading too.

A small note, UCA is actually 30 miles/minutes closer.
Thats a great note... never realized that... I just watch their social media and like the message they put out... It is just like ours... Ryan and crew want to make our student athletes experience one of the best things to happen for them while they are on our campus... Ryan said if he didnt make that experience memorable then he didnt do his job... We have some great leaders...
TallTexan
I was kind of surprised myself when I looked it up. My only quibble with UCA is the Sugar Bears name, as if they're some sort of off brand Gummi bear.
TallTexan
This is big news:

SFA Jack Fanatic
TallTexan said:

This is big news:

That is big! Our guys can get a ton of experience without losing eligibility. Carthel can try to schedule 8 or 9 opponents now. Something good is actually coming out of this madness.
PurpleOut
Staff
UCA has 2 home games, 7 road games, and no P5 games. According to their AD.
SFAXE93
SFA gets their NCAA sanction of no post season out of the way and now gains an extra year of eligibility for its players in 2020 to offset the scholarship restrictions, you could not have made this stuff up.
SFASawmillGuy
Literally no downside to this.
SFAXE93
PurpleOut said:

UCA has 2 home games, 7 road games, and no P5 games. According to their AD.
Per a fans site thinks it's these teams for UCA:

Missouri State (twice)
Eastern Kentucky (twice)
Austin Peay
Stephen F Austin
Arkansas State
Louisiana Lafayette
UAB
South Florida
Memphis
PurpleOut
Staff
Their schedule is supposed to be released today.

I've also heard that Eastern Kentucky might be on the schedule for us. And it makes sense for any SLC school to play each other. So I'd expect that's accurate for SFA/UCA, and I bet we have ACU.
TallTexan
cboothe09
Any word on when ours will be announced?
We can figure UTEP, SMU, ACU, and UCA are on the list, but who else? That makes four of potentially 9 games...
Jacks4460
Kansas

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.