2020 Season

100,556 Views | 560 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by SFAXE93
BigJack85
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Just a guess..... UNLV cancels 9/5 game against La Tech, we pick up La Tech to replace Alabama A&M and everyone is happy $$$.
SFASawmillGuy
Then we get two FBS wins and finish undefeated!!!
TallTexan
SFA_03 said:

Then we get two FBS wins and finish undefeated!!!

Good job 03. This is the kind of unbridled optimism that I expect from the rest of you this offseason.
TallTexan
SFAXE93
Bring it, ready to kick some pony a**.
Jacks4460
SFAXE93 said:

Bring it, ready to kick some pony a**.
Love your attitude 93.. We will give them all we got I know that.. and we are alot better than last year
SFAXE93
A position that is a real strength for us is at punter.

#37 Max Quick 5-10; 195 Lufkin, Texas (Lufkin) (So.)

- 12 punts for over 50 yards (Long of 59 yards)
- 26 punts inside the 20 (4 TBs)
- 32 fair catches (Conference high)
- 43 yards per punt (2nd in conference play)
PurpleOut
Staff
So I guess we had Auburn scheduled to replace Alabama A&M?

*SEC announced they are cancelling all non-conference games today.

BigJack85
Bummer. Bummer. Bummer.
TallTexan
That's a real bummer.
TallTexan
If it's safe to play, and who knows if Sept 25th is safer than a Sept 5th game, then a big time opponent early in the season could be a huge marketing win. It'll be one of the only games on.
Jacks4460
U r right Texan who knows if sept 5 or sept 25 Would be better.. regardless don't think many fans are going to the early games because of compacity limits.. it would be great to get a BiG 12 team and I think we got a good chance.. I would have to guess TCU because they lost 2 games and Coach has TCU as a headlining team in our big summer camp.. and our coaches were helping TCU put on one of their camps up in the Metroplex.. So our coaches have a god relationship..
SFASawmillGuy
As long as it works out better than last time where we lost about half our starting lineup to injury...probably the worst coaching(not personal) decision Clint Conque could've made was starting Zach after he had been injured the week before.
Jacks4460
03 I agree but we have never ever been this deep across the board.. our team knows there is no post season this year...these will be our bowl games.. we are ready for whomever.. we almost got a full spring practice in and the others didn't..We don't need to get QB1 hurt 1st game I agree but if we do QB2 will be ready.. Pace can get some good film on himself for the NFL scouts against Big 12 competition...We will be ready for whomever..
SFASawmillGuy
Oh no I agree. I see the value in these games. And it can certainly be argued that any non conference game is a risk because you can potentially see stars get hurt against Texas college just as easy as they would against Alabama.
I kind of wish we would go for lower tier power 5 schools a little more often though, just to keep it more fair.
Kansas, Iowa State(well not now), Vanderbilt.
I know schools upset the top tier teams all the time but if we played the lower tier ones we get just as big of a payday, a lot closer to our level of talent, and still good exposure against power 5 talent.
PurpleOut
Staff
SMU moved their game with Texas State up from 9/5 to 8/29. Sun Belt is keeping full schedule as of now.

Not sure why, but I wonder if schools are starting to move stills scheduled games to other weekends to try to find teams available for other weekends where games are cancelled.

Still doubt we get these in, but we're getting pretty close to normal football time now.
TallTexan
PurpleOut said:

SMU moved their game with Texas State up from 9/5 to 8/29. Sun Belt is keeping full schedule as of now.

Not sure why, but I wonder if schools are starting to move stills scheduled games to other weekends to try to find teams available for other weekends where games are cancelled.

Still doubt we get these in, but we're getting pretty close to normal football time now.

Personally I have a feeling that 8/29 is going to be safer than 9/29.

End of August is when our local schools are planning to go back to full time in person, give or take.

Id expect increased number of cases in late September vs the numbers we see at the end of this month.
PurpleOut
Staff
Yeah I started thinking more about it, and probably better to get games in before everyone is back on campus and everyone starts testing positive.
SFASawmillGuy
2020 is gonna be a weird year for sports.
Will 2-0* schools still count as undefeated seasons?
Will coaches on the hot seat be given literally a free year because they don't have a chance to turn it around?
Will everyone be granted an additional year of eligibility after being unable to play a full season?
PurpleOut
Staff
Breaking news...

...there is no news.

SFASawmillGuy
Serious question. If this season is cancelled does it count as our probation year or would they push it back?
SFAJack_76
PurpleOut
Staff
SFA_03 said:

Serious question. If this season is cancelled does it count as our probation year or would they push it back?
I would think it would push back, but that's just my guess.
TallTexan
PurpleOut said:

SFA_03 said:

I would think it would push back, but that's just my guess.

That would be my guess as well, but I think we'd have good reason to challenge it.

Given that the purpose of said punishments is to make schools forego practice & games to up academic process, I'd say mission accomplished.

But the only thing you can count on from the NCAA is the absolute worst decisions possible.
nacluth
Similar to the KTRE story posted above, a Sports Illustrated story has this quote.

"But not all D-I fall sports will survive. According to an NCAA policy released Wednesday, fall championships will be canceled in sports without at least 50% of members participating. Field hockey and men's water polo are expected to fall under that mark, and FCS football is dangerously close, too (six FCS conferences have already folded the tent)."

D1 is expected to vote to have their fall championships (that does not mean bowl games). But, you have to have enough teams. Right now, FCS is real close to not making the cut for playoffs. Southland could still have the season.
nacluth
So NCAA says every team has to honor scholarships if they have sports and players can opt out of season without penalty. Do you think Southland schools stay in knowing they could be on the hook financially if seasons are canceled?
SFAJack_76
I think SFA honors scholarships with or without a season.
SFAJack_76
MasterAxe
PurpleOut said:

SFA_03 said:

I would think it would push back, but that's just my guess
How about a scenario with just a regular season? I wonder if a "ban" applies to a season where just playoffs were canceled and not a whole season?
TallTexan

Sounds like the fall FCS playoffs are being cancelled because they dropped below 50%. This is because Ivy League and SWAC are counted in the 50% figure even though they participate in different playoffs/do regular season only.

So basically the Southland has to decide whether it wants to play regular season only and heck, crown a national champion I guess.

On the downside, if it's not safe, it's simply not safe. And spring could be safer.

If it is safe enough to play, Southland needs to call TV partners and ask for an increased deal for the season, because they'll be one of only a few games available on Saturdays, especially early season.

To add a little bit of postseason flair without running afoul of NCAA rules, maybe the Southland's week 12 games could be one vs two, three vs four, all the way to determine conference finish and provide another week of games.

Nothing keeps SFA from competing for a conference championship, we just can't go to postseason playoffs.
nacluth
Canceling FCS playoffs doesn't necessarily hurt SFA this year since we were not playing in them anyway. The way I see it hurting is if without the potential of the playoff revenue split if the SLC decides the season is still worth. My guess is yes, but it's just another in a long list of knocks.
SFASawmillGuy
Maybe if no one says anything, the NCAA will forget and we can go back to the playoffs next year.
TallTexan
UCA and Arkansas state just added a game today, so I'm guessing that the Southland is planning to play.
SFAJack_76
SFAJack_76

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.