2019 Basketball Commits

132,222 Views | 502 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by SFA Jack Fanatic
CertifiedAxeman98
How long do you want to ignore this user?
BigJack85 said:

SFAJack_76 said:

PurpleOut said:

Yeah I don't get the TJ comparison. Daniels has good size, but he doesn't have the same athleticism or shooting ability that TJ did. Our pick and pop with TJ was one of our most dangerous plays. Daniels won't provide that.

Excited to have him obviously, he's just a different type of player.

Agree.

If Seraille develops running out a big lineup for 5-6 minutes could be an intriguing way to open things up.
If the bigs can defend smaller guards & the 3 then I am ok with going big. What we had last year was not good. big slower guys against smaller quicker guys and having to help everyone by leaving your man is recipe for disaster. We missed the D of the guards last year and it cost us dearly.

The coaches know that they need guards and need them now, not 2 years from now. So they went and got 3 guards from JUCO. I also consider Brown more of a combo like Kevon than a true forward. I assume Daniels is a spot of depth needed in the post after the assumed loss of Nieminen (due 2 injury as posted here). At this point it is clear they know they need a freshman guard to restart the pipeline and add to Walker. They can't be so dependent on JUCO going forward. Richie Riley did it at Nicholls but I don't think that is a sustainable model.
No-look
CertifiedAxeman98 said:

BigJack85 said:

SFAJack_76 said:

PurpleOut said:

Yeah I don't get the TJ comparison. Daniels has good size, but he doesn't have the same athleticism or shooting ability that TJ did. Our pick and pop with TJ was one of our most dangerous plays. Daniels won't provide that.

Excited to have him obviously, he's just a different type of player.

Agree.

If Seraille develops running out a big lineup for 5-6 minutes could be an intriguing way to open things up.
If the bigs can defend smaller guards & the 3 then I am ok with going big. What we had last year was not good. big slower guys against smaller quicker guys and having to help everyone by leaving your man is recipe for disaster. We missed the D of the guards last year and it cost us dearly.

The coaches know that they need guards and need them now, not 2 years from now. So they went and got 3 guards from JUCO. I also consider Brown more of a combo like Kevon than a true forward. I assume Daniels is a spot of depth needed in the post after the assumed loss of Nieminen (due 2 injury as posted here). At this point it is clear they know they need a freshman guard to restart the pipeline and add to Walker. They can't be so dependent on JUCO going forward. Richie Riley did it at Nicholls but I don't think that is a sustainable model.
I think you nailed it. Hopefully next season the injuries will be minor to none and the chemistry will be good. Depth should be good. Still hoping for a Freshman of the Year from Hart or Pope.
No-look

I'm confused, but that's not anything new.
nacluth
Funny
SFAJack_76
McDaniel retweeted it, but hasn't himself said he has committed. Nor did he deny it, so?

sfa17
yeah, i didnt understand this. i think the reporter was just confused.He probably meant to say he got an offer from us. He even tags SFA Athletics instead of SFA_MBB. And players these days will like or retweet anything positive with their name on it just to mess with their followers.
TallTexan
wahlwesle
I like it. I was getting a little disappointed thinking we wouldn't get Calvin, but I think this is the better of the two.
purplitis72
Congratulations indeed. I'm glad that we added point guard depth.
TallTexan
Think we got a steal. If he had been 6' or more, he'd be playing at a high major.

Are we officially full?
CertifiedAxeman98
Perfect we needed a young PG. I really like this. Assuming I have my math correct we now know who will be signing on Wednesday. The 5 JUCO and McDaniel. They join Hart & Pope who signed in the fall as incoming additions. Next years team will look completely different then it did this year.
SFAJack_76
CertifiedAxeman98 said:

Next years team will look completely different then it did this year.
Thank goodness, right?

Assuming everyone signs, and makes it to campus, the team will be composed of three seniors, five juniors (all transfers), two sophomores, and three freshmen. Not a bad mix, but definitely heavier to transfers than I would like. Very pleased with the addition of a freshman PG.
No-look
purplitis72 said:

Congratulations indeed. I'm glad that we added point guard depth.
. We needed the pg depth. Nice addition!
sfa17
I like it. We need to win next season and a mix of juco players can help us do that. We got a really solid recruiting class. now it's about the chemistry
BigJack85
Still think our success is going to revolve around building a solid lineup (supporting cast) around Kevon Harris and Mitch Seraille

With the plethora of guards we have it shouldn't be a problem. Now to finding the right mix of combinations....
Axe 'Em Jacks - Class of 85'
sfa17
Yeah, highly doubt that every player we got this season will be there next. There will be competition.
purplitis72
We will have a Daniels and a McDaniels. Go Jacks.
No-look
I watched Kharee play at the state tourney in San Antonio. Couldn't believe he didn't have any D1 offers. He is very quick and can create shots for others and is a natural scorer. He was the motor that made his team go. We got a steal!
LUMBERJACK2005
The PG comes from a winning program that is really well coached and does things the right way, meaning that they hold kids accountable for doing/not doing the right thing. Excited about him, maybe he can talk Solomon in to coming, too. Still wish we could have gotten or went after the PG from TCU, Fisher.

A smaller win for SFA, Jalone Friday is transferring from ACU. Kid is a beast.
purplitis72
Friday was suspended several games before the Southland Tournament. They won without him. They also suspended another one of their starters at the same time they suspended Friday. ACU has got their program going in the right direction.
No-look
Hopefully he can give some good minutes as a freshman. With him, kacheries, John and O we should be solid in the pg position. Should have a lot more options in every position... On a side note I want to see Bain play with a good cast.
SFA Jack Fanatic
Don't know if anyone has already mentioned it, but in addition to the Guy V. Lewis Award as the best player in Houston (WOW to that achievement alone!), Kharee was also the MVP of his 6-A District and made the 2019 UIL 6-A All-State Tournament Team.

To say we got a steal is an understatement. Going hard after him immediately after he de-committed from that small school was a genius move by Keller and his team.

Edit: Also want to mention that several of our Sawmillers here sent him some love on Twitter right after SFA offered him. I didn't see that from any other school. That had to influence his decision. Good job, guys!
SFA Jack Fanatic
Just heard from a very reliable source that we have ONE SCHOLARSHIP LEFT!
purplitis72
Does that mean that someone else is transferring or that someone who has signed or committed is not coming after all?
SFA Jack Fanatic
purplitis72 said:

Does that mean that someone else is transferring or that someone who has signed or committed is not coming after all?
Don't know. No explanation given.
purplitis72
Could you have asked? I guess we are not allowed to behave like the paparazzi.

No-look
SFA Jack Fanatic said:

You're killing me.
purplitis72
I'm on life support myself. Could go any minute. Just when I start getting the feeling that we are set, something blows up.
SFA Jack Fanatic
No-look said:

SFA Jack Fanatic said:

You're killing me.

Chill out, No-look. The sun will come out tomorrow.....
BigJack85
Not Mitch leaving??? That would be a real bummer.
Axe 'Em Jacks - Class of 85'
cboothe09
This is what we have so no clue on where the new spot is opening up at.

Returning Scholarship Players:
Kevon Harris - Sr.
Nathan Bain - Sr.
John Comeaux - Sr.
Mitch Seraille - Soph.
Oddyst Walker - Soph.

Signed LOI:
Samazha Hart (HS)
Tylan Pope (HS)

Committed:
David Kachelries (JUCO)
Roti Ware (JUCO)
Cameron Johnson (JUCO)
Demiere Brown (JUCO)
Charlie Daniels (JUCO)
Kharee McDaniel (HS)
SFAJack_76
Jacks4460
Your list is 100%.. If we get Solomon that means Pope is a non qualifier..
Jacks4460
No I think Mitch is turning the corner.. Happy for him..He will make a big jump this year with his level of play... I have confidence in him..
purplitis72
How could they know whether he is a non qualifier at this point? There's two and a half months of school left.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.