2019 Basketball Commits

131,102 Views | 502 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by SFA Jack Fanatic
SFA Jack Fanatic
How long do you want to ignore this user?
No-look said:

Can't wait to see him and Mitch blocking shots!

Uh... mmm ......
purplitis72
A lot of hard work on the recruiting trail by our coaching staff. Now Jack Fanatic is got me wondering if it's Mitch that's not returning. Uh--mm
CertifiedAxeman98
I really want to see who actually signs tomorrow. And really interested in seeing who is back next year. More change next year than I expected. While I think we got some good players. Bringing in potentially 6 JUCO and 3 freshmen and a few returning players will be tough next year. This is becoming a complete rebuild. Not ideal at all. If someone like Mitch was going to transfer he would have entered the portal already so he could start fielding offers and going on visits (IMO) before positions get field if we wants a D1 transfer. I assume we either didn't renew someone or one of the verbals didn't work out. I would guess a verbal didn't work out for some reason.
CertifiedAxeman98
SFA Jack Fanatic said:

No-look said:

Can't wait to see him and Mitch blocking shots!

Uh... mmm ......

So just saw this also noticed that Mitch's background on twitter profile is solid blue now so maybe I'm way off. That's what happens living in Katy.
SFA Jack Fanatic
KJ McDaniel is ranked as the #4 player in the Greater Houston Area by RCSSports.com. They ranked the top 120 players in the area. We're getting a gem, guys.

http://rcssports.com/index.php/rankings/class-of-2019?limitstart=0
CertifiedAxeman98
SFA Jack Fanatic said:

KJ McDaniel is ranked as the #4 player in the Greater Houston Area by RCSSports.com. They ranked the top 120 players in the area. We're getting a gem, guys.

http://rcssports.com/index.php/rankings/class-of-2019?limitstart=0
Great pickup. I am picturing McDaniel to Hart for the score.
No-look
Saw where Solomon is going to announce his commitment the 26th.
wahlwesle

Hmmm...did I miss something? Is this new?

Edit: never mind. I guess my notifications didn't refresh properly and I posted this without reviewing the new posts.
djsfw57
TallTexan said:

That's the kind of post play that we missed last year. Dude can play down low.

So we're starting basketball season next week right?
Damn sure can play down low. The first thing I thought when I saw him was how he comes alive under the basket. This is great!!
Jacks4460
SFA Jack Fanatic said:

No-look said:

Jacks4460 said:

Your list is 100%.. If we get Solomon that means Pope is a non qualifier..
. When is the deadline for qualifying?

Here's my take... There's no deadline per say, but signing day is TOMORROW and the coaching staff will have to decide whether to take a chance and wait for him to qualify (and maybe not qualify at all and go JUCO) or pull the offer from him and give it to someone else they want right now before that person is plucked off by another school, or hold it to offer to someone that comes along later. It's crunch time!
Yes sir correct again!!!
No-look
djsfw57 said:

TallTexan said:

RaThat's the kind of post play that we missed last year. Dude can play down low.

So we're starting basketball season next week right?
Damn sure can play down low. The first thing I thought when I saw him was how he comes alive under the basket. This is great!!
And he can shoot with either hand. He reminds me of Zion down low.. surely I didn't just say that....
Jacks4460
purplitis72 said:

A lot of hard work on the recruiting trail by our coaching staff. Now Jack Fanatic is got me wondering if it's Mitch that's not returning. Uh--mm
SFA Jack Fanatic
Jacks4460 said:

BigJack85
wahlwesle said:

Hmmm...did I miss something? Is this new?

Edit: never mind. I guess my notifications didn't refresh properly and I posted this without reviewing the new posts.

Guessing Seraille is gone.
Axe 'Em Jacks - Class of 85'
No-look
Has Kacherlries signed yet?
SFA Jack Fanatic
In a story about HS recruiting in today's Houston Chronicle, Klein Forest High School's coach Cary Black said this about KJ McDaniel signing with SFA: "I think it'll be a really good fit. The tools that he brings I think they need. I think he can step in there and play. I think it'll be a good deal".

In that article, Coach Black also said that he'd like to see Calvin Solomon go to SFA with McDaniel, too, but that may not be possible now that (I think) all 13 of our available scholarships have been called for.
nacluth
Stealing cboothe09's post freely:

Returning Scholarship Players:
Kevon Harris - Sr.
Nathan Bain - Sr.
John Comeaux - Sr.
Mitch Seraille - Soph.
Oddyst Walker - Soph.

Signed LOI:
Samazha Hart (HS)
Tylan Pope (HS)

Committed:
David Kachelries (JUCO)
Roti Ware (JUCO)
Cameron Johnson (JUCO)
Demiere Brown (JUCO)
Charlie Daniels (JUCO)
Gavin Kensmil (JUCO)
Kharee McDaniel (HS)

Now over the limit on scholarships with 8 guards and 6 forwards. At least three of those guards are combo guards/small forwards. A pretty stacked team on paper for the next year. Will be interesting to see how this plays out.
SFAJack_76
No-look said:

Has Kacherlries signed yet?
Rev007
Getting excited and crossing fingers today. When you compare our recruits to the players we had last year, it looks like an immediate upgrade in talent. I'm hoping out coaches can develop the incoming freshmen quickly. I really like the idea of having 3-4 freshmen recruits each year. Hopefully, we can establish a team first culture and our remaining seniors can provide the requisite leadership traits necessary to form a cohesive unit as opposed to the divisiveness we had on last year's team.

Guys and gals, we need to give our coaching staff accolades for reforming this team so quickly.
purplitis72
I will give them accolades when they turn these recruits and returnees into a cohesive well coached team. I'm pulling for our coaching staff to do get it done. It's going to take a lot of hard work.
Rev007
True, but I have faith in our coaching staff. Besides, they are all coaching for their jobs this year. No room for complacency and no excuses permitted in 2019-2020.

Go Jacks!
cboothe09
Just going to keep updating this throughout the day...

Returning Scholarship Players:
Kevon Harris - Sr.
Nathan Bain - Sr.
John Comeaux - Sr.
Mitch Seraille - Soph.
Oddyst Walker - Soph.

Signed LOI:
Samazha Hart (HS)
Tylan Pope (HS)
David Kachelries (JUCO)
Demiere Brown (JUCO)
Kharee McDaniel (HS)
Charlie Daniels (JUCO)
Roti Ware (JUCO)
Cameron Johnson (JUCO)

Committed:
Gavin Kensmil (JUCO)
SFA Jack Fanatic
Rev007 said:

Guys and gals, we need to give our coaching staff accolades for reforming this team so quickly.

I totally agree! There was a lot going on behind the scenes to address immediate needs and weave this excellent recruiting class together. Most of the guys we're getting had never even been mentioned previously here on the Sawmill. Thank goodness the coaches know more about the basketball universe than we couch potatoes do.

Some are already saying they wished we had recruited more potential four-year players rather than JUCO's. Really? Would any of us really have been happy suffering through two more years like the last one, waiting for guys to develop enough to get us back to the top of the league? I think not!

Good job, Coach Keller and staff!
Pilotgirl
I agree. We need some mature players that can help lead the younger ones.
TallTexan
With Kensmil & Kachelries, that's two players who started out at the D1 Level. Really looking forward to seeing this team hit the court.

purplitis72
VERY ANXIOUS! Anxious for our return to glory.
No-look
TallTexan said:

With Kensmil & Kachelries, that's two players who started out at the D1 Level. Really looking forward to seeing this team hit the court.

Yep. Really had my fingers crossed with Kachelries. Absolute steal. Kensmil also!

SFA Jack Fanatic
TallTexan said:

In all honesty, Kensmil was less than stellar at Iona. He averaged five minutes per game and only 1 ppg and 1 rpg. Hopefully, he developed his game a lot and came into his own in his one year in JUCO. On cherry-picked videos at least, he seemed to.

(He did play two minutes against Duke his freshman year. That's something, right??)
purplitis72
We will see who pans out and who doesn't. We can only hope but this group does look good overall on paper.
SFAJack_76
TallTexan
SFA Jack Fanatic said:

TallTexan said:

In all honesty, Kensmil was less than stellar at Iona. He averaged five minutes per game and only 1 ppg and 1 rpg. Hopefully, he developed his game a lot and came into his own in his one year in JUCO. On cherry-picked videos at least, he seemed to.

(He did play two minutes against Duke his freshman year. That's something, right??)
I don't expect Freshman to contribute much their first year, but it helps validate the recruits coming out of JUCO. D1 signee to JUCO to D1 signee.
No-look
Who has signed as of now?
CertifiedAxeman98
SFA Jack Fanatic said:

TallTexan said:

I am tempering my view on next year. 6 JUCO regardless of how well they did at JUCO they are still playing other JUCO not D1. I think we have some of the better JUCOs out there and have some great Freshman coming in but the massive turnover is not ideal. I still expect the team to struggle to start the season. Also, you can't and won't play all 13. Time will be the tell on what our talent level actually is next year.

McDaniel was a steal and we needed current and future PGs. Last year putting Bogues at point was not the best use of his talents. If we can improve our Guard play and D then we should be better than last year but we must develop Hart and McDaniel for the future and bring in others next year to add to them. Kevon has only 1 year left and I see why you would want JUCOs in now to help you make a run in his last year but they will be gone in 2 years so we need the pipeline of Freshman to sustain things for the long haul.
TallTexan
If I'm comparing the team we had to end last season to the team that'll be here next year, I think we've improved depth & athleticism at every area except shooting guard. It remains to be seen whether or not we can replace Bogues production.

Side Note: We probably shouldn't strive to replace all of Bogues production with one guy.

I think this is a roster that has the potential to be very good by conference play.
purplitis72
I agree that Juco is no where close to the level of NCAAM D1. Especially when it comes to defense. I'm still looking forward to seeing this group on the court. It's going to take a lot of hard work.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.