2019 Basketball Commits

131,300 Views | 502 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by SFA Jack Fanatic
purplitis72
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Does anyone have any news regarding Pope's eligibility?
SFA Jack Fanatic
247 Sports has released their final HS recruit ratings for 2019. Sama'Zha Hart is rated #21 overall in Texas, #365 overall nationally, and #78 player at his SF position nationally.
purplitis72
What about Pope, Solomon and the rest of our freshmen?
No-look
SFA Jack Fanatic said:

247 Sports has released their final HS recruit ratings for 2019. Sama'Zha Hart is rated #21 overall in Texas, #365 overall nationally, and #78 player at his SF position nationally.
Good resume. Saw where Pope is rated # 4 in La. Hope for the Pope. Lol
purplitis72
https://www.prephoops.com/2018/06/louisiana-class-of-2019-rankings-update/
SFA Jack Fanatic
purplitis72 said:

https://www.prephoops.com/2018/06/louisiana-class-of-2019-rankings-update/

That was 11 months ago.
purplitis72
Believe it or not, I can read. The fact that it was twelve months ago is precisely why I posted it. What I would like is for No-look to post a link for the information that he implied was an update because I cannot find that update. Can you?
SFA Jack Fanatic
purplitis72 said:

Believe it or not, I can read.

I simply made an innocent comment and you responded with an uncalled for snarky response.

Can't take your attitude anymore. I've tried to for the last couple of weeks. I'll be ignoring you for a while and will check back later to see if your attitude toward other users changes to be more positive and accepting of their comments and opinions.
purplitis72
OK. My snarkiness was not directed toward you. It was directed to my own self. Sorry that you misunderstood.But while you are ignoring me would you please ask No-look to post a link verifying his comments.
SFA Jack Fanatic
Tylan Pope just said on Twitter that he won't be attending SFA. No explanation given. Not surprised by this occurrence.
corleycl
Are we good on scholarships now or are we still expecting someone else to leave to have enough for all the new recruits and transfers?
No-look
SFA Jack Fanatic said:

Tylan Pope just said on Twitter that he won't be attending SFA. No explanation given. Not surprised by this occurrence.
. Me either. But was hoping that everything had worked out.
No-look
corleycl said:

Are we good on scholarships now or are we still expecting someone else to leave to have enough for all the new recruits and transfers?
as of now we are good. Hope everything is solid now.
SFAJack_76
He signed an LOI, so SFA would have to give him a release, which I suspect we would. If someone does not qualify for admission, does that make the LOI void? Pointedly, he does not say he asked for a release.

purplitis72
Are we sure that our roster is set? Jourdan Smith is still unsigned and available. Are we sure Comeaux will play?
No-look
Maybe by the end of the month things should clear up.
purplitis72
Hopefully they will update the roster soon after the second semester ends. If not then that might be a hint that things aren't settled yet.
nacluth
They didn't put a full updated roster out until the end of summer last year even when there wasn't really any question marks. Now it was Ivey's first summer there, so it's possible Sports Information is more on top of their game this year.
purplitis72
I hope that he will be transparent. I realize that there are privacy rules but-------
SFAJack_76
Wasn't a qualification issue if he can get into Tulane.
TallTexan
Dang. Good for him though.
SFA Jack Fanatic
This opens all kinds of questions in my mind.
cboothe09
Says to me we valued some of the late recruits over him
PurpleOut
Staff
Could be several things. We've heard several times that the staff isn't going to wait on kids any more. He could easily rectify any academic issues before the fall, but that doesn't mean we'll sit around to wait and see.
TallTexan
PurpleOut said:

Could be several things. We've heard several times that the staff isn't going to wait on kids any more. He could easily rectify any academic issues before the fall, but that doesn't mean we'll sit around to wait and see.
Good point.
CertifiedAxeman98
PurpleOut said:

Personally for a guy like Pope you wait and see. You can't play all 13 guys and some of the JUCO guys they are bringing in will sit the bench. You can get a bench warmer over the summer if you can't get Pope on campus.
SFA Jack Fanatic
CertifiedAxeman98 said:

You can get a bench warmer over the summer if you can't get Pope on campus.

LOL! (I'm laughing with you, not at you...)
PurpleOut
Staff
CertifiedAxeman98 said:

PurpleOut said:

Personally for a guy like Pope you wait and see. You can't play all 13 guys and some of the JUCO guys they are bringing in will sit the bench. You can get a bench warmer over the summer if you can't get Pope on campus.
I don't disagree, we were all really excited about Pope. But there's no way to know how he would pan out, either way.

If he stays on and doesn't qualify by the fall, there's no guarantee we can get anyone at a decent quality to fill the spot. And then everyone here will be upset that we again took a risk on a high profile recruit (that we haven't really seen play) that didn't pan out. We don't and probably won't know the full story, but this, in my opinion, is the lesser of the risks knowing that we have a JUCO kid that we like and is ready.
CertifiedAxeman98
SFA Jack Fanatic said:

CertifiedAxeman98 said:

You can get a bench warmer over the summer if you can't get Pope on campus.

LOL! (I'm laughing with you, not at you...)
Tulane has taken the approach that a chance on Pope is worth more than a guaranteed bench warmer. They can always get a bench warmer if Pope doesn't show up. Tulane was at the bottom or their conference last year so they need to do whatever it takes to get off the bottom with a new coach they are looking to make a come back and recruiting is the best way to get off the bottom.

I hope that SFA turns it around next year but as I see the churn in players and recruits I'm not sure it will happen.
TallTexan
Tulane's coach has 4 years to see if this will pan out. Our coaching staff simply doesn't and played this game in their 1st & 2nd seasons to see if taking kids who might not end up on campus for 4 years would pan out.

Spoiler alert: It didn't.

We're just in two very different positions as programs.

I'm not particularly concerned about recruiting churn, when Pope decommitted is sounded like no love lost for either party.
Pilotgirl
Yes, he was very respectful about it...I think it was more on his part & being close to home, etc. From his tweet, there was a positive vibe implied. And hey, players can transfer now with almost no issues if he wants to look at that in the future.
SFAJack_76
Cameron Johnson not satisfied with where he is rated. I like the attitude.
SFA Jack Fanatic
SFAJack_76 said:

Cameron Johnson not satisfied with where he is rated. I like the attitude.

One of the coaches at TJC said SFA got a steal with this guy.
No-look
Really excited about next year! A load of talent and seems to be solid players on and off the court. Hoping the chemistry is there!
SFAJack_76

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.