2019 Basketball Commits

130,810 Views | 502 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by SFA Jack Fanatic
cboothe09
How long do you want to ignore this user?
All signed and accounted for.

Returning Scholarship Players:
Kevon Harris - Sr.
Nathan Bain - Sr.
John Comeaux - Sr.
Mitch Seraille - Soph.
Oddyst Walker - Soph.

Signed LOI:
Samazha Hart (HS)
Tylan Pope (HS)
David Kachelries (JUCO)
Demiere Brown (JUCO)
Kharee McDaniel (HS)
Charlie Daniels (JUCO)
Roti Ware (JUCO)
Cameron Johnson (JUCO)
Gavin Kensmil (JUCO)
nacluth
Well something has got to give.
No-look
nacluth said:

Well something has got to give.
Yep.
wahlwesle
So when/how do we find out who isn't coming back? Follow everybody on Twitter? Wait for the website roster to be updated?
purplitis72
They usually don't put that website roster out until they are all on campus. We don't get much transparency.
wahlwesle
I did some searching to see what the scholarship rules were for incoming freshman academics.

"As a new entering freshman, you'll need to provide evidence of a 2.0 grade point average in 16 core classes during high school. This will allow you to practice with the team but not play. If you don't play during your first year, you'll be in an academic redshirt category. This year will not count toward your total years of eligibility. If you want to fully qualify to practice and play during your first year, you must complete 16 core classes with a 2.3 GPA, and 10 of those courses must be finished prior to your senior year of high school. Seven of the 10 courses must be in English, math or science."

If a player doesn't maintain grades, they can lose the scholarship, but the coach can't give it to someone else until the period of the scholarship passes. I can't find any rules regarding a previously signed freshman who doesn't meet the academic requirements in high school above though. Do we get that scholarship back? I ask because of the concerns for Pope's eligibility (whether those concerns are justified or not).

PurpleOut
Staff
Yeah if Pope doesn't qualify, he's gone and his scholarship is ours to give. I think we're supposed to know in a few weeks on Pope.
purplitis72
Why is there an assumption that Pope's grades are a problem?
sfa17
We are waiting for his test scores. SAT or ACT I think.
TallTexan
SFA.

PurpleOut
Staff
CALVIN SOLOMON!
TallTexan
PurpleOut said:

CALVIN SOLOMON!

I'm pumped!
sfa17
Let's gooooo
purplitis72
Good to get Solomon but I wonder who else is out.
cboothe09
Super stoked, but yeah, we are two over the limit now. Something has to give. Either defections, failure to qualify, maybe a couple of these new signee's are walk-ons? I dunno, but this is weird now.

Anyways, I'm excited about this one. This is the big signing I think we have all been hoping for...
purplitis72
purplitis72
No-look
Excited to get Solomon for sure but hate lose anyone else....
CertifiedAxeman98
This is a great pickup. He is a great combo forward. Really impressed that he committed. I guess he wants his point guard passing to him at the next level. I am really interested in who is out now.
SFAJack_76
SFAJack_76
Curiouser and curiouser. Interesting that just yesterday, Solomon tweeted he was going to commit on April 26.
No-look
Well, if you didn't like last years team there' a new menu. Lol
TallTexan
SFAJack_76 said:

Curiouser and curiouser. Interesting that just yesterday, Solomon tweeted he was going to commit on April 26.
Who else was recruiting him? Maybe we had an anticipated slot left & their's got filled?
CertifiedAxeman98
LA Tech which is why he had a red shoe on one foot and purple on the other. LA Tech I think had a recent transfer that he would have filled I believe.
Rev007
Rev is feeling happy
SFAJack_76
No-look

Watched this game at the tourney.
purplitis72
This is just speculation on my part cbooth09 but here is what I think might have happened. I think that after offering Solomon they decided they couldn't afford to wait on his decision. So they signed Brown in an either one or the other situation. Then Solomon decided that he was going to sign with us which put us over the top with ten recruits. So someone has to go. If Pope doesn't qualify that is a minus one. If he does qualify, I think that they might influence both of our returning freshmen to take the JUCO route to get some seasoning. I don't think that either of those two returning freshmen are ready for the big time yet. I really like Oddyst. I think that he is a fine young man. But you can't hang on to players on your roster just because they are fine young men.
nacluth
Just curious. You would put sophomores with one season of development in your program away for four freshmen with no development in your program? I may sympathize with Oddyst's potential, but every freshman starts as a freshman with less than ideal skill sets. I think this is a great class, but give me experience (at least Oddyst and Mitch's) over potential any day.
purplitis72
Then tell me what you think instead of trying to question me. I clearly said that it's a possibility. I didn't say that it was a certainty. You do have to admit that we had problems with Seraille. I put a big emphasis on the "if" regarding Pope. Do you think that the coaches would be more likely to send Bain or Comeaux packing? I don't think so. Unless Comeaux is just too fragile to play, I don't see that happening. What say you?
nacluth
Sure I think that Mitch had struggles through his first year, but I also think that his potential is pretty high. I think the coaches would much prefer a developing player (especially one with Mitch's talent) with one year experience over any incoming freshman.

Now I think (just listening to rumor, no facts) that we're probably waiting to make sure Mitch decides to come back and if Pope qualifies. If no to both of those, then all new recruits stay. If one or both are for sure here next season, my guess is that incoming recruits are the ones who are asked to not take scholarships - not Oddyst, Mitch, or John. I think returning players get priority.

I could be wrong though...
Jacks4460
If Mitch doesnt come back then that means they(coaches) didnt want him on the team... MItch wants to be a Lumberjack...
Rev007
I think it's vital that we honor the scholarships of the players who committed to our school. It sets a dangerous precedent if we attempt to pull scholarships or encourage players to leave and attend junior college. I'm certainly against asking Mitch or Oddyst to go somewhere else for a year. If they did develop their skills elsewhere, why would they bother coming back to a program that didn't want them? (Rhetorical)

We need to set the commitment bar high. I'm not saying it isn't already high, but let's leave it high.
purplitis72
I do not believe that Keller would ask one of our signees to opt out. If you will look back , you will see that very few of the freshmen recruits under Keller have stayed past their first year. Kevon and Bain are two of the few.
TallTexan
Rev007 said:

I think it's vital that we honor the scholarships of the players who committed to our school. It sets a dangerous precedent if we attempt to pull scholarships or encourage players to leave and attend junior college. I'm certainly against asking Mitch or Oddyst to go somewhere else for a year. If they did develop their skills elsewhere, why would they bother coming back to a program that didn't want them? (Rhetorical)

We need to set the commitment bar high. I'm not saying it isn't already high, but let's leave it high.
I'm with you. Word gets around that if you commit to SFA you might not end up with a scholarship, we wouldn't be able to sign a HS benchwarmer in our next class.

As much as it sucks, I think that the fact that we signed two over means that we know we're going to have attrition of at least 2 more.

I suppose I should add that it's not unheard of for a current player to willingly opt out of a scholarship in order to make the team better, but it's very rare. So I'm expecting we know we're losing two.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.