2019 Basketball Commits

131,325 Views | 502 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by SFA Jack Fanatic
Rev007
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Forgive me for my ignorance, but is it possible in college basketball to have a redshirt season that is non-medical? Would this player count against our allotted number of scholarships?
purplitis72
Yes. If that person was a scholarship player before the injury. TJ was on scholarship last year.
nacluth
You can get an academic redshirt if your grades are passing but not great coming out of high school. Basically it gives you a year to prove you can cut college.

All redshirts still count against scholarships
nacluth
purplitis72 said:

I do not believe that Keller would ask one of our signees to opt out. If you will look back , you will see that very few of the freshmen recruits under Keller have stayed past their first year. Kevon and Bain are two of the few.
Bain is the last player from the Underwood era. Kevon is the only player to go four years from Keller's freshman year. Sammy made it three years. Aaron 2.5. Hopefully Comeaux makes it through his third and final season.
Rev007
The math is just not adding up, and without additional information, we can only speculate on the possibilities...which are interesting.

I'd hate to see John leave because he is an outstanding person and definitely gives 100% effort. However, if he has been advised not to play, I would respect his decision. He is young and has his whole life ahead of him.

What happens if Pope is academically eligible and John and/or Mitch decide to stay on the team? Do we revoke the scholarships of two players? I don't like that idea.
Pilotgirl
And Samuli is injury related...
purplitis72
The fact is Keller does not have a very good retention rate of the freshmen that he has recruited. The fact that Bain is an Underwood holdover means that you can't give Keller credit for his retention also. Wasn't Samuli someone that signed when Underwood was here? If that was the case then you can't give Keller for him as well. If we are going to opt out of players that have already signed, that will give our recruiting rivals an opportunity to say you cannot trust SFA if you sign with them. That is not a reputation that you want to have.
Pilotgirl
Oh, so we going down THAT road again....

I'm much more interested in the recruits than throwing shade at Keller. But that is me. Nothing can be done from the past except learn from it. I like that all the guys will be here this summer...work on making the team cohesive, team bonding, etc. all the recruits look really excited to play. We missed leadership on the team too & I'm hoping Key is gonna step up.

I'm stoked about the Jucos because I think we need maturity & we missed that last yr & saw the ramifications. I am cautiously optimisitc. We all knew this was gonna be a rebuild year & I am impressed with the recruits...now let's see if they can put a good game/rotation on the court. We sorely missed depth last yr. Now, we have that...silver lining.

Definitely curious as to final roster, but we will get that eventually. Usually when someone is off team, they update the roster pretty quickly (historically..Don't know about this past yr).

Im also excited about our LadyJacks next season...so hyped up already!
purplitis72
They do not take people off the roster very quickly especially in the off season. T.J., Samuli and Hughes are still listed on the present roster. What I said was not a criticism of Keller. It was just a simple fact. His freshmen retention rate is very low. Blame that on whomever you wish. Everyone is merely speculating far as I know about who will be on our 2019-2020 roster. I've never intended for it to be a bone of contention. I'm also excited about the LadyJacks.
Pilotgirl
Yes, off season is slow but they do update quickly as we near the season & during.
purplitis72
They didn't update it last year until well into the fall semester. In fact I sent an EMAIL to Hurley asking him to please update it. We are all anxious. I'm not the most patient human being that ever lived.
SFA Jack Fanatic
I agree, Pilot. Accentuate the positive! Concentrate on the present, not the past.
purplitis72
I'm always optimistic but my optimism is a bit more guarded than it has been in the past. One thing that I think that we will all agree on is that we will not have more than thirteen players on scholarship.
wahlwesle
Nothing new, but worth the read.

https://sfajacks.com/news/2019/4/19/mens-basketball-sfa-adds-eight-for-2019-20-in-spring-signing-period.aspx?path=mbball
No-look
Thanks, hadn't seen that article.
SFAJack_76
pka01
According to the ncaa all D1 teams have 13 scholarships. One over. My circle says it's walker who's not very happy. In particular, about the excessive competition recruited at his position. It is just talk. I wouldn't put money on , but we are still 1 over. Is Sammy keeping his scholarship if he leaves the team?
purplitis72
Sammy will lose his scholarship.
Rev007
Competition is healthy, and all good teams have it...looks like we will have it in 2019-2020, at least at the guard position. I hope our " big man (men)" is (are) big enough to guard low post players. It was rough going last year when we faced Lane from Northwestern State.
pka01
Agreed. I found it strange that someone at that level would have a problem with competition. Work for it and earn it.
TallTexan
Rev007 said:

Competition is healthy, and all good teams have it...looks like we will have it in 2019-2020, at least at the guard position. I hope our " big man (men)" is (are) big enough to guard low post players. It was rough going last year when we faced Lane from Northwestern State.
Kensmil is built about the same as Lane was. He should be able to shut down most Southland players in the paint.
purplitis72
Daniels has more length and a defensive reputation to go with it. The problem last year was that we were doing too much double teaming and playing too much help defense, but I think that Keller had no choice because of our lack of front court defense, we had to give up three point shots and hope that they would miss and that we would get the rebound. Unfortunately we gave up way too many offensive rebounds because of our weak front court.
SFAJack_76
purplitis72
That is good.
No-look
Went back and looked at some YouTube videos of Solomon and Mc Daniels at Klein Forest. Cannot figure how these two went under the radar. Both are high quality players. Coaches found a couple hidden gems!
purplitis72
It's always good to have gems in your gym. Yeah I know, that was pretty corny on my part, wasn't it? Happy Easter!
No-look
Trying to find Pope's Louisiana ranking. Rivals doesn't have him in top 50.
SFAJack_76
No-look said:

Trying to find Pope's Louisiana ranking. Rivals doesn't have him in top 50.
I have had a tough time finding much at all on Pope.
CertifiedAxeman98
He is at a smaller 4A school so not as much on him but Rivals has him as a 3 star. He was also first team all district and co-most valuable player this year.

https://www.theadvocate.com/new_orleans/sports/high_schools/article_748089ec-62c4-11e9-b258-1f0c831b6453.html
SFAJack_76
CertifiedAxeman98 said:

He is at a smaller 4A school so not as much on him but Rivals has him as a 3 star. He was also first team all district and co-most valuable player this year.

https://www.theadvocate.com/new_orleans/sports/high_schools/article_748089ec-62c4-11e9-b258-1f0c831b6453.html
Thanks.
SFAJack_76

No-look
SFAJack_76 said:

Love it!
purplitis72
Good for him.
No-look
SFAJack_76 said:

Reread the article. Lots of talent and am excited about each player and what they should bring. I think the one I'm most impressed with is Kachelries. An assist machine and also a scorer. Hoping all can adapt to D1 rather quickly. With the leadership of our returnees and growth of the new guys, we should be ready for conference play. Especially with Kevon hopefully returning.
SFA Jack Fanatic
No-look said:

SFAJack_76 said:

Reread the article. Lots of talent and am excited about each player and what they should bring. I think the one I'm most impressed with is Kachelries. An assist machine and also a scorer. Hoping all can adapt to D1 rather quickly. With the leadership of our returnees and growth of the new guys, we should be ready for conference play. Especially with Kevon hopefully returning.

The guy I'm most anxious to see is Roti Ware. He's a scoring machine and should take defensive pressure off of Kevon (other teams are certainly going to focus on Kevon, at least early in the season before they realize we have some other new weapons), and also open up the interior for the big guys.

And on a side note, I'm hoping the coaches get Nate to shoot and drive to the hoop more. We know he can rebound, but he needs to get more involved on the offensive end.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.