COVID-19 info

68,009 Views | 431 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by TallTexan
TallTexan
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Tbh, it's going to be a disaster from a competition perspective.

Imagine it from an SFA perspective. Two days before an early season game, an opponents backup PG tests positive. Would we want to risk playing those guys & potentially having our guys get sick?

No way.

So it only seems natural that a positive test probably puts a 2 week hold on the program.
PurpleOut
Staff
Agree that I don't see how all of this (sports) is going to work right now with the way things are going.
sfajack05
I hate all of this is happening.

While online learning is great and has it's advantages (I've worked in distance education for 7 years now), it does suck not to have the face to face-campus life. What are the colleges going to do if a student is positive but doesn't know it and goes to the cafeteria, social event, class, etc. Are they going to quarantine all the students? Shut down the campus?

Just so many unknowns.
No-look
In Keller's interview at the Duke game he said we had been battling the flu all week. Wonder if any of that was Covid? There's no telling how many athletes were positive in all college basketball last season.
TallTexan
No-look said:

In Keller's interview at the Duke game he said we had been battling the flu all week. Wonder if any of that was Covid? There's no telling how many athletes were positive in all college basketball last season.

Too early for Covid. First US case was January I believe.
No-look
TallTexan said:

No-look said:

Too early for Covid. First US case was January I believe.
unless it was here before we thought so. But probably not
TallTexan
If it was infecting our basketball team in November, then the animal culprit responsible wasn't a bat, it was a frog, specifically the one that runs a bar & grill.
nacluth
SFAJack_76 said:

So do we think that the three positives came from the 5 tests given last week?
No-look
Any validity to this?
nacluth
Validity indicates that there has been some kind of independent judgment on the matter - which in this case, it's just some doctor saying he's had results using Budesonide. Could inhaled corticosteroids work? Sure. They are being studied to see if they will have widespread impact. You can track all medicine treatment studies here: ASHP.org.

Now, I have a nebulizer and plenty of budesonide for my kids. If you get sick, you can feel free to come borrow some and see if it makes a difference. Nebulizers aren't usually used to treat COVID because you breathe in the moist air and then back out in an aerosolized breath - which is known to spread COVID. So if you use a nebulizer while you're sick, make sure no one else is around.
Ljacks&Longnecks
Ivy League has announced no fall sports for 2020. They don't make any TV money so maybe not a surprise but I doubt that they will be alone regarding fall sports.
TallTexan
If football or basketball gets cancelled, the NCAA better count that as the punishment.
nacluth
38 new cases in Nacogdoches today. More than twice as much as our previous day's high.
SFAJack_76
SFAJack_76
This is much bigger than the Ivy League announcement. Word is the ACC and PAC 12 aren't far behind.
SFA Jack Fanatic
SFAJack_76 said:

This is much bigger than the Ivy League announcement. Word is the ACC and PAC 12 aren't far behind.

Other FBS conferences will probably follow suit, too. There goes our big SMU payday.
nacluth
Does it seem odd that basketball was left out of the statement?
SFASawmillGuy
I mean basketball is all the way in November, so optimistically they are expecting things to have improved enough by then for it to be unaffected.
SFAJack_76
SFAJack_76
SFA Jack Fanatic said:

SFAJack_76 said:

Other FBS conferences will probably follow suit, too. There goes our big SMU payday.
  • SMU is moving forward with plans to begin its fall sports season on time, though athletic director Rick Hart acknowledged the possibility those plans could change.
  • The fall season is scheduled to begin in late August and the football opener is set for Sept. 5. SMU will now conduct surveillance testing for COVID-19. While everyone is still tested on initial return to campus as part of the intake process, there will be additional portions of athletes tested to see if any spread is occurring among the student-athletes.
  • Additionally, athletes are still in "Phase I" of the return plan. "Phase II," which allows for groups of up to 50 people, had been scheduled to start nine days ago. It is still on hold.
SFAJack_76
TallTexan
SFA Jack Fanatic said:

SFAJack_76 said:

I don't know what that contract looks like, but I feel like it'd be hard for SMU to claim an act of God forced them to cancel the game if they're still playing Houston & TCU.
nacluth
Angelina had another 100 cases today after 110 two days ago. They are pushing 300 new cases this week. I haven't seen the write up yet on where all the positive tests are coming from.
SFAJack_76
From the Lufkin Daily News just now. The numbers in Angelina County vary depending on who is reporting them.

"The Angelina County & Cities Health District is reporting 60 new cases of COVID-19, bringing the total number of positive tests, including the Rufus H. Duncan Geriatric Facility prison unit, to 1,071.

Angelina County cases rose by 202 in a matter of five days.

The number of active cases including the Duncan Unit is 615 as of Friday morning. The Lufkin Daily News calculates the active cases by subtracting the listed recovered from the total positive tests.

Health district administrator Sharon Shaw has not updated the list of recovered since at least June 22. On July 8 she told The Lufkin Daily News the district has been focused on caring for the increasing number of ill and is unable to update the list at this time.

The health district is reporting 743 positive tests in Angelina County not including the Duncan Unit. They list 225 recoveries and nine deaths."
SFAJack_76
nacluth
Numbers are starting to get ridiculous both local and statewide. We eclipsed June's total number of cases in 12 days. Unfortunately deaths also hit an inflection point and are going the wrong way quick.

To be honest I have had a general concern for economy/health issues for a while, but this last week has got me specifically worried about two things: lockdown and fall school (besides people dying).

My personal interpretation of the stats (could be wrong) is that even if we substantially changed behavior today, we wouldn't see a change in numbers for a month. That means this last month before school is just going to have increasingly terrible numbers. The pressure on the governor/policy makers is about to get intense.

I don't want a lockdown (mainly because I think it needs to be 10-12 weeks minimum to have an effect). But I also don't see any way there will be spectator sports this fall (maybe not even school) if numbers stay on this trend.

What are y'all thinking? Anyone more optimistic out there that wants to share?
Ljacks&Longnecks
No optimism here......we are a week out from July 4th weekend so we are still a week or so away until many of the folks who got out and mingled over that weekend start showing up positive. I believe that will keep the numbers higher for an even longer period of time. That would take us likely well into August.

I just don't see how fall sports get played, at least not at the traditional time. Nor do I see how schools fully open up in August. We are fortunate in how few children are affected by Covid but a few kids do fall victim. Who among us really wants to see their children or grandchild take the chance of being sickened or worse by Covid?
Much more likely would be the kids would pick up the virus in an asymptomatic version and then take it home to parents and grandparents. And let's not forget teachers and all the school employees who would be at even more risk than most all of the children.

With all the hospitals filling up in several states including our own there are many more deaths coming in the next couple of months. I feel for the health care workers that are again overwhelmed by the numbers and the amount of death that they have to see and that with no family members at the bedside it falls on the nurses to provide the last kind words. This is surely going to lead to huge mental health issues among some first responders over time.

I look forward to a vaccine, more normal routine, SFA sports etc but I'm afraid we still have a long way to go.
TallTexan
I don't think we're seeing college sports this fall.

I don't think we're going to see more than 4 weeks of in person school this fall either, college or primary.

I've seen folks on Facebook going on vacation, having 20+ people birthday parties, going to amusement parks, political fundraisers and rodeos. It's going to spread even more. Our local hospital is filling up.

The mask mandate has helped a lot on wearing masks, but I've still seen a significant number of people not wearing them. And masks are our fastest route back to normal life short of a multi-month lock down.

It's just depressing because we can look around the world and see that it didn't have to be like this.
Pilotgirl
Agree with LJacks and Texan....I submitted health documentation to my risk management dept for work accommodations. We shall see. Opening schools up now would be a horrible thing. Educators are so anxious (myself included). TEA and Abbott are being ridiculous.
PurpleOut
Staff
There's so many stories coming out now about surges from childcare centers, it's scary.

I still have people on my Facebook that just don't get it, because they think children are less likely to die. Not considering how they are high carriers to spread back to their family (and vice versa), how schools and childcare centers have older teachers, cafeteria workers, bus drivers, etc that are now at higher risk. Or of course longer lasting effects of COVID.

The majority of my neighborhood has already selected to send their kids back to school in a few weeks.

All it takes is one person to not be responsible. We already know how many parents send their kids to school when they are regularly sick.

TallTexan
It's going to be a disaster.

And our local hospital is presently nearly full, without opening our biggest germ center.

My parents are teachers, they'd love to be able to safely go back to work & see their kids. They miss the in person. But they know the state doesn't give a dang about making it safe for them or the kids.
TallTexan
Pilotgirl
Pilotgirl said:

Agree with LJacks and Texan....I submitted health documentation to my risk management dept for work accommodations. We shall see. Opening schools up now would be a horrible thing. Educators are so anxious (myself included). TEA and Abbott are being ridiculous.

I was approved for remote work until September and then they will reassess risk. Glad to see some districts really do care for the health of their employees. (I have asthma and have had pneumonia, bronchitis every year for the past 3 years).
Pilotgirl
Looks like Moron Morath is gonna make some changes to TEA guidance for public schools (extend the 3 week virtual allotted by the state based on local need). I know the Houston area schools really want this option for the 1st grading period, which would give time for cases to go down.
TallTexan
Glad to hear you got approved.

I think that we could get cases down substantially by the end of the first 6/9 weeks, but we've got to start today with a plan to get there.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.