COVID-19 info

69,181 Views | 431 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by TallTexan
nacluth
How long do you want to ignore this user?
23773 cases, 623 deaths. April 25. 122 cases, 7 deaths in Nacogdoches. 36 cases in Angelina. Angelina's cases have doubled in about a week with new testing.
nacluth
24631 cases, 648 deaths. April 26. 123 cases, 7 deaths in Nacogdoches. 36 cases in Angelina.
PurpleOut
Staff
Abbott is allowing the stay at home order to expire on Thursday.

Oh boy.
nacluth
Everything to 25% capacity. Going to be interesting to see how restaurants and movie theaters handle that.
PurpleOut
Staff
nacluth said:

Everything to 25% capacity. Going to be interesting to see how restaurants and movie theaters handle that.
Or how/if anyone enforces it.
SFAJack_76
nacluth said:

Gyms, bars, barbers, salons, still closed. No sports with more than four people.
SFASawmillGuy
It can't be profitable. Movie theaters actually make next to nothing for ticket sales so that won't hurt them, but they make their money it's concessions. If groups aren't going to the movies together they're less likely to sell a lot of group concessions.
nacluth
25297 cases, 663 deaths. April 27. 137 cases, 7 deaths in Nacogdoches. 36 cases in Angelina. Governor announced stay home orders end on Friday.

52 cases (61%) increase in last week.
No-look
Angelina up to 46 cases. As of a couple days ago only one was hospitalized.
nacluth
And less than 400 tests done in Angelina. Nacogdoches has over 900. Both counties are still running over 10% positive on their tests just like the whole state.

Right now hospital occupancy and medical supplies are very good for East Texas. Our system is not being overwhelmed. The only concerning thing is general mortality rate. No one is really fretting over the 7 deaths in Nacogdoches now. The question is will we see a bump in a couple of weeks from opening back up. The question is always going to be how many COVID related deaths is acceptable. My guess is 20 in the next few months is. Somewhere around 50 isn't.
TallTexan
Deaths and economic upheavel.

My state rep was pretty OK with 4500 projected deaths statewide, thats 10 projected in Anderson County alone.

So far we've been fortunate. Granted, no one knows how many tests have been run, though the 250 guards who were voluntarily tested probably bumped our numbers up a bit.

Presently, we likely have 1000 new people on unemployment since this started.

Which sucks. But with the enhanced Unemployment, many of that 1000 are probably close to breaking even.

But if Sanderson or Walmart distribution was forced to close, because of an expanded outbreak, we'd likely double or triple that number in a single day..

I don't like the stakes we're gambling with over here. It's highly concerning on all fronts.
TallTexan
nacluth said:

Prior to this, our fast food places and theaters rarely got everything clean between customers.

And to a sanitized level? No way, not even at 25%.
Ljacks&Longnecks
Austin/Travis County now at 1539 with 42 deaths, lots of recoveries But the graph shows the increase still very much ongoing, don't believe anywhere near the plateau. Went to grocery store and 7/11 today, most folks masked but several not....mostly males probably 20s-40s....you know "tough guys".

My daughter, a nurse practitioner, hasn't seen her 6 yr old twins in person (nor have I) since March 15th. They are in Rockport with the other grandparents (both SFA grads) so that's okay but an emotional issue for daughter and son in law, I'm sure.
nacluth
26171 cases, 690 deaths. April 28. 138 cases, 8 deaths in Nacogdoches. 46 cases in Angelina.
nacluth
27054 cases, 732 deaths. April 29. 148 cases, 8 deaths in Nacogdoches. 49 cases in Angelina. Nine new cases in local nursing homes today.
nacluth
28087 cases, 782 deaths. April 30. 158 cases, 8 deaths in Nacogdoches. 53 cases in Angelina.

First back to back days with double digit cases in Nacogdoches being confirmed. Second 50 death day for state. Businesses open to 25% capacity tomorrow.
CertifiedAxeman98
Anyone making/selling SFA masks? Would like to have one but I don't have any ING I could use to make one myself.
nacluth
Good idea. Let me check into it.
SFA Jack Fanatic
nacluth said:

28087 cases, 782 deaths. April 30. 158 cases, 8 deaths in Nacogdoches. 53 cases in Angelina.

First back to back days with double digit cases in Nacogdoches being confirmed. Second 50 death day for state. Businesses open to 25% capacity tomorrow.

Just thinking out loud... 782 deaths in a Texas population of about 30,000,000 is what percentage? How do those 782 China virus deaths compare to the number of deaths in Texas from smoking, auto accidents, home accidents, drugs, murder, influenza, etc. in the same period (i.e., things that people consider 'normal' deaths)? Serious questions while attempting to put things into a proper perspective.
PurpleOut
Staff
CertifiedAxeman98 said:

Anyone making/selling SFA masks? Would like to have one but I don't have any ING I could use to make one myself.
Not SFA, but I know the guys at Texas Humor and they have some Texas themed masks.
nacluth
Currently for the state of Texas based on mortality rate, COVID is tied for diabetes currently in its death rate.

Now there are some concessions to be made since we're two months out from the first listed death. First, statistically the death rate is still climbing for COVID, so it could move up the list. It will probably slow at some point in the year. All the other causes of deaths are based on yearly stats - not two months. There is no way to know where this virus' mortality rate will end up. For perspective, the top 7 diseases combined on the list kill about 6200 Texans over the same period.

1.) CORONARY HEART DISEASE
2.) STROKE
3.) LUNG DISEASE
4.) ALZHEIMER
5.) LUNG CANCERS
6.) HYPERTENSION
7.) DIABETES / CORONAVIRUS

Right now, COVID is about twice as deadly to Texans than fatal car wrecks.

Again, I think your point is very valid questioning the response Texas/US is taking toward this issue. It's a tough issue for anyone to comprehend and make policy for. Texas currently has one of the lowest rates of mortality for COVID of anywhere with more than 10000 cases. We can be grateful for that. Hopefully it will mean a quicker return to normal for us.
Ljacks&Longnecks
Over 63,000 Americans have died in the last 2-3 months from this new virus...I think that is plenty of perspective right there. Plenty of political boards you can go to elsewhere to minimize the untimely deaths of all those people.
nacluth
Just a quick note of my death rate stats. I used 782 deaths over 2 months for perspective. Actually, 740 of those deaths were in the month of April alone. That monthly rate would move COVID up to 2/3 on the list. In every other state above 20k cases, it is the number one killer in the state currently.
SFA Jack Fanatic
Ljacks&Longnecks said:

Over 63,000 Americans have died in the last 2-3 months from this new virus...I think that is plenty of perspective right there. Plenty of political boards you can go to elsewhere to minimize the untimely deaths of all those people.

This is a discussion thread related to the virus, no? All comments are welcomed, no? My comment was not political in the least bit. Sorry that you took it that way. Nacluth's response was even-headed and nonpolitical, as was my original comment.
nacluth
29227 cases, 816 deaths. May 1. 169 cases, 8 deaths in Nacogdoches. 55 cases in Angelina. 7 of the 11 new Nacogdoches cases today were from nursing homes.

I'm not going to keep up the daily tally through May. I'll give updates from time to time and to point out any change in trends I see.

April 1 - May 1. 26,230 cases, 758 deaths statewide.
Nacogdoches: 165 cases, 8 deaths.
Angelina: 50 cases.

We've had double digit cases confirmed for three days straight in Nac, but let's all hope May sees a slow down.

RichieVan
I'm in New Jersey. As of May 2, 123,717 cases and 7,742 deaths. 47% of those deaths took place in long term care facilities.

My county has a population of 450,000. We have 2,879 cases and 146 deaths.
PurpleOut
Staff
This morning the news here in Dallas said that cases are reaching new highs every day, and testing is only slightly increasing. Hospital bed capacity is also growing. But yeah everyone can go out for Cinco De Mayo now!!!
TallTexan
Palestine's Prison Covid cases made it in the Marshall project.

Yours truly had a quote in it.

https://www.themarshallproject.org/2020/05/04/prisons-are-coronavirus-hotspots-this-town-s-got-five-of-them
nacluth
Wow. That's rough.
TallTexan
Ya it's pretty ridiculous. I think they're up to a few hundred cases out there.

They tested around 250 guards with voluntary testing the other day and 18 had it. All 18 were asymptomatic.

But crazy to ponder how many of the remaining 2k employees may have it at this point.
nacluth
Someone I know well just told me that today they found out that five coworkers have been hiding symptoms to keep working.
nacluth
15 cases, 3 deaths in Nacogdoches, 24 new cases in Angelina yesterday. Both daily records. Testing center in Nacogdoches probably closing this week.
nacluth
Nacogdoches just cracked 200 cases. Took two weeks to go from 100 to 200 compared to a month for the first 100 (not unexpected). Angelina has gone from 55 to 93 in the last four days. (Edit: make that a clean 100 for Angelina)

I'm glad to have my first full week of work in a long time, and from my perspective, traffic and business in Nacogdoches has picked up considerably. Not back to normal but significantly different than under quarantine. Hope everyone is still staying safe.
SFAJack_76
Brutal times for college athletics.
SFAJack_76

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.