COVID-19 info

68,010 Views | 431 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by TallTexan
TallTexan
How long do you want to ignore this user?
nacluth said:

If anyone has been following Nacogdoches numbers, you will probably notice that the numbers are significantly lower. The city has been transitioning from their testing to state testing. There is a little gap in consistency of numbers. However the state just tested 2000 people locally. Those numbers should be coming back soon.

2000 people? Wow.
SFAJack_76
  • East Carolina University announced Thursday that it is reducing the number of its intercollegiate athletic programs by four, effective immediately. The action is being taken as part of the University's overall budget restructuring efforts and is part of a detailed analysis of ECU's athletics financial position during the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic.
  • Affected programs are men's swimming and diving, women's swimming and diving, men's tennis and women's tennis.
  • In addition to the elimination of sports, several measures will be taken to reduce the financial deficit athletics faces for the current fiscal year ending June 30 and the coming years. The plan will recognize an estimated $4.9 million long-term savings and the funds that are saved will go toward reducing the current deficit and reducing the institutional investment in future years.
Crank dat Lumberjack
TallTexan said:

Idk how Nicholls can keep from cuts. They were out of money before.
Nicholls is only 1 sport over the D1 minimum, but I bet they will cut men's golf or something like that.

I would be very surprised if we did not cut a sport or two as well.
SFAJack_76
  • The University of Alabama in Huntsville canceled its ice hockey program and men's and women's tennis programs today citing the "enormous challenges" of the COVID-19 pandemic. A notice went out to the university community Friday afternoon.
  • UAH said it will honor the scholarships awarded to student-athletes in each program "for the duration of the students' academic careers." They are also released without penalty to transfer to other schools.

Ice hockey in Alabama ... what were they thinking..
TallTexan
They had an ice hockey team that awarded scholarships?
SFAJack_76
TallTexan said:

They did. Travel costs had to be huge. Look at their conference.

http://collegehockeyinc.com/conferences/wcha/standings20.php
SFA Jack Fanatic
SFAJack_76 said:

TallTexan said:

They did. Travel costs had to be huge. Look at their conference.

And I'm guessing that their 2-26 record didn't help their case any.
Pilotgirl
One of V's former roommates tested positive for COVID 19 in Nac...she works at a hotel, so not too surprising.
nacluth
Pilotgirl said:

One of V's former roommates tested positive for COVID 19 in Nac...she works at a hotel, so not too surprising.
Nac seems to be a locus here in East Texas, but our numbers have just remained steady instead of ballooning. Hopefully the state's big 2000+ test results don't come in too huge.

There's starting to be some evidence through antibody testing that the virus was here in Nacogdoches back in February at least.

Really hope her friend recovers easily.
Pilotgirl
She has mild symptoms, probably because of her youth. But man, spreading that to older people/people with respiratory issues...that's the scary part!
Pilotgirl
BTW, V's year with the Texans (well, longer than a year but they keep extending it) should be done by middle of June. She's already lined up a job with a company that will be doing contact tracing. Really interesting.
SFAJack_76
Worth a read.

https://www.sltrib.com/news/2020/05/23/your-guide-how/
TallTexan
Pilotgirl said:

BTW, V's year with the Texans (well, longer than a year but they keep extending it) should be done by middle of June. She's already lined up a job with a company that will be doing contact tracing. Really interesting.

Very cool. Glad she'll be able to atone for spending a year promoting the evil empire.
Pilotgirl
She didn't work for Jerry Jones. Honestly, major props to the Texans for not laying off anyone during this ordeal. They definitely earned by respect. She probably could stay on with them longer but this great opportunity became available and its work from home. She will look into going back into sports next year...bc I think the job market (in at least sports) will be back and running. This season is gonna be very odd, Sawmillers.
SFAJack_76
Wow ...
TallTexan
Those are fairly cheap sports I would think.

Especially the indoor track and field. Isn't that just the outdoor guys & girls usually?
TallTexan
Pilotgirl said:

She didn't work for Jerry Jones. Honestly, major props to the Texans for not laying off anyone during this ordeal. They definitely earned by respect. She probably could stay on with them longer but this great opportunity became available and its work from home. She will look into going back into sports next year...bc I think the job market (in at least sports) will be back and running. This season is gonna be very odd, Sawmillers.

Jerry is definitely not the evil empire. He's the cash rich, football poor empire.
SFAJack_76
TallTexan said:

Those are fairly cheap sports I would think.

Especially the indoor track and field. Isn't that just the outdoor guys & girls usually?
It is the same athletes. They eliminate some travel costs, but not much else. I don't see many quality athletes going to a school where they can't do both indoor and outdoor.
nacluth
It's worth noting that today 100,000 Americans have died from the coronavirus in the last three months. This officially makes it the worst epidemic in terms of death toll since the 1918 Spanish Flu that killed between 600,000-700,000 Americans over two years. It's a stunning loss of life. Government scientists said today that this number is expected to double by year's end as hopefully the virus recedes.

(Note: The Spanish Flu was pre-antibiotics/anti-virals. No one knows why, but after sweeping the globe through two spring/fall cycles it basically disappeared. Herd immunity is not suspected. It would pop up from time to time around the globe killing about 10k/year until a vaccine was developed in the 40's.)
Pilotgirl
No words. The NYT article spoke volumes.
SFAJack_76
Important news.
Pilotgirl
Can't remember if this has been shared or not:
https://www.whio.com/sports/wright-state-cuts-3-sports-part-budget-reductions-seeks-waiver-remain-division-1/MR64AT2TRFATNJAPCFAWJBZBSI/
nacluth
Nacogdoches County crossed 300 confirmed total cases today. Also received confirmation of 22 death.
PurpleOut
Staff
Cases in the Dallas area are continuing to rise. Feels like everyone we know thinks everything is fine and that it's gone away.
TallTexan
PurpleOut said:

Cases in the Dallas area are continuing to rise. Feels like everyone we know thinks everything is fine and that it's gone away.

It seems like a lot of people I know lately have started showing back up to places without masks. That seems like trouble.

I know our local nursing homes are still locked down, which is good for safety, but it only takes on asymptomatic carrier to ruin that.

We were fortunate so far, but I worry about additional breakouts of the virus here.
SFAJack_76
Highest number of hospitalizations yet. It's not over.
nacluth
Today's 2500 new cases is the single largest day gain yet. Texas is definitely in a second wave from reopening.
PurpleOut
Staff
And yet we're moving to the next phase of 75% capacity. It's amazing how many people think it's over, and even more amazing those that have kids just don't care.

But sure, those people and our Governor will continue to use the same message that they have for weeks (maybe months I guess), that the positives are only from nursing homes, meat packing plants, yada yada.

And for everyone that's saying it's only because there is more testing, yeah that's great that there's more testing. But....there are still more people testing positive. So, it's...not going away.
nacluth
Exactly 2 months ago, Trump (through models by his experts) predicted between 100k to 220k American deaths before year end. His personal prediction was that it would be much less (50-60k). For perspective about 18k Americans had died at the time of his predictions.
https://www.cnbc.com/2020/04/10/trump-says-us-will-have-substantially-under-100000-deaths-from-coronavirus-lower-than-initial-estimates.html

Today, the US has crossed the 2 million confirmed and there are 113,000+ deaths. 95,000 lost in the last 62 days since the first data driven models. The current models show us hitting the 200k mark by summer's end. 113k people is how many people live in Nacogdoches and Anderson counties combined.

On the bright side, Texas A&M says that at the height of quarantine the Texas economy was operating at 1/3 standard operating strength. It is back to almost 70% now. (Anything under 85% is considered economically concerning.)
TallTexan
113k deaths in less than 3 months is an incredibly sad statistic.

For reference, it was 3 months ago today that Rudy Gobert tested positive & the NBA came to a halt.
No-look
Of the 307 cases in Angelina county 204 is at the prison in Diboll.
SFAJack_76
No-look said:

My impression is that the 307 does not include the 204 that were just learned about yesterday. The 204 is from the geriatric unit at the correctional facility in Diboll. The 204 includes 19 employees. There are about 422 inmates in the geriatric unit. The tests were done about two weeks ago. For some reason, that is beyond me, the state does not report cases to the local leaders. Our local folks learned about it by way of a "slip of the tongue" by a state employee on a conference call.
No-look
Could be. Maybe they will update soon.
Pilotgirl
Ridiculous
TallTexan
SFAJack_76 said:

No-look said:

My impression is that the 307 does not include the 204 that were just learned about yesterday. The 204 is from the geriatric unit at the correctional facility in Diboll. The 204 includes 19 employees. There are about 422 inmates in the geriatric unit. The tests were done about two weeks ago. For some reason, that is beyond me, the state does not report cases to the local leaders. Our local folks learned about it by way of a "slip of the tongue" by a state employee on a conference call.
That's exactly what they're doing in Palestine.

They're counting them in their home county for Covid. But the prisoners are counted on the census in the county that their prison is in. It makes no sense not to count them here. Our communities are at risk from the prison, not the home county.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.