COVID-19 info

69,129 Views | 431 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by TallTexan
BigJack85
How long do you want to ignore this user?
It's not something I'd want is to do (drop football) but think about the $$$$$ you could pour into basketball and baseball. We could get really really really good in basketball baseball and others with the money football uses.
SFASawmillGuy
BigJack85 said:

Football would be the one to go. I can't imagine it but would t be surprised.

Football absolutely wouldn't go. Football and basketball are actually the most safe sports I would be willing to bet.

Tennis, soccer, possibly volleyball, and baseball are the ones we should worry about.

The Soccer tennis and Volleyball honestly don't provide much in terms of national attention or revenue and Baseball is one of our newest programs without an on campus facility, so all of these would be the most justifiable to get rid of.

Football is not going anywhere. It's a status symbol for a lot of schools to field a football team, even if it's a bad one, and our second most profitable sport. Not to mention it is one of the most historical parts of the school's history and a cornerstone of the biggest rivalry in our school. I have no idea where people get the idea that the school would even consider dropping the program.
SFASawmillGuy
Ryan Ivey is a football guy. One of the reasons he was brought in was to make our football program be able to compete as well as our basketball program, and to make our basketball program compete at a higher level.

It almost feels like the school cares the least about its baseball team. It's been so long and still no plans for an on campus stadium and it doesn't seem like the same changes are made to the program to make them winners that's going on everywhere else. I see baseball getting dropped before anything else.
Jacks4460
Plus Coach C will help us win a N.C. mark my words..
SFASawmillGuy
That's the plan. He was brought in for that purpose specifically and we are certainly on the right track.
He's probably gonna end up at the FBS level before he retires but hopefully he brings our program back to the level it was in the late 80s and mid 90s.
SFA Jack Fanatic
And remember Title IX. Women's sports are safer than men's because of that and are almost untouchable, IMO.

I would hate to lose any program, but baseball is the one that probably is the biggest money loser and would have to be cut if cutting becomes necessary. Golf makes nothing, but the losses are minimal in comparison.
TallTexan
Jacks4460 said:

Honestly, if we don't get good under Carthel, that would be the time to consider cutting football.
Jacks4460
i agree.. it would need to be considered .. coach is gonna have us in the hunt real soon..like in 2 yrs..
nacluth
TallTexan said:

Jacks4460 said:

Honestly, if we don't get good under Carthel, that would be the time to consider cutting football.

I'm saving this post to bring back up in 3-6 years.
nacluth
16455 cases, 393 deaths. April 16. 72 cases, 6 deaths in Nacogdoches. 20 cases, 1 death in Angelina. Still on the upward climb.
TallTexan
nacluth said:

16455 cases, 393 deaths. April 16. 72 cases, 6 deaths in Nacogdoches. 20 cases, 1 death in Angelina. Still on the upward climb.

6 deaths in 72 cases? That number seems fairly high on the mortality rate. Yall must be getting it pretty rough.
TallTexan
nacluth said:

TallTexan said:

Jacks4460 said:

I'm saving this post to bring back up in 3-6 years.

Lol. I think he's the man for the job. But if he can't right this ship, my confidence for anyone else pulling it off will be at an all time low.
nacluth
TallTexan said:

6 deaths in 72 cases? That number seems fairly high on the mortality rate. Yall must be getting it pretty rough.
Well there's a lot going on. One of our nursing homes was a breakout in it leading to the last two deaths (both 90+ women). Possibly one of the earlier deaths as well.

The main thing is that Nacogdoches has been more serious about testing and response than other East Texas communities. The decision made early was we want high numbers of tests and more accurate numbers.

My surmise (just my opinion) is that other counties nearby have been very strict with their testing protocol to keep numbers down and to justify their county judge's decisions on restrictions. It's two different ways to deal with it. While Nacogdoches may have a more serious problem, my guess is that we are more average than these early numbers suggest.
nacluth
17371 cases, 428 deaths. April 17. 75 cases, 6 deaths in Nacogdoches. 23 cases, 1 death in Angelina.
SFA Jack Fanatic
Thanks for nothing, TDCJ!! Without notifying anyone locally here in Brazoria County (where I live), TDCJ transferred 98 inmates infected with the China virus from the Beto Unit near Palestine to two local prisons, and another 23 from the Telford Unit near Texarkana.

The Brazoria County Judge and our State Representative/House Speaker Dennis Bonnen are livid, as they should be. Bonnen fired off a letter to Governor Abbott 1) requesting that more PPE be immediately provided to our local staff and guards, which they do not have at this time, and 2) the TDCJ be required to inform local officials about any move of infected prisoners BEFORE they are relocated.

I agree. The TDCJ must not operate in secrecy while shuffling infected prisoners around the state during a health crisis situation like this. TDCJ almost doubled the number of active cases in our county overnight. Doing so increases the potential of community spread in a heavily populated area like ours where the virus was previously being contained very well.
SFAJack_76
In Angelina County ....
nacluth
So the article basically said that the Angelina Health District has tested 428 people in Angelina, Polk, and San Augustine combined where in Nacogdoches, we have tested 665. They are getting an over 10% positive rate just like we are, but Lufkin's numbers are ridiculously low and they are talking about opening up. Whether that's smart or not is not my issue, but they don't have data to make an informed issue.
TallTexan
SFA Jack Fanatic said:

I agree. The TDCJ must not operate in secrecy while shuffling infected prisoners around the state during a health crisis situation like this. TDCJ almost doubled the number of active cases in our county overnight. Doing so increases the potential of community spread in a heavily populated area like ours where the virus was previously being contained very well.
We originally heard that they were going to Huntsville. They moved 98, but left 48 prisoners with positive cases & 24 with pending tests, so I'm not sure what they hoped to accomplish at Beto by moving them.

Rumor has it that 3 of the last 5 positive cases are guards here. And I'm sure there are more who just haven't tested positive yet. TDCJ needs to get a handle on this quickly.

nacluth
18260 cases, 453 deaths. April 18. 88 cases, 6 deaths in Nacogdoches. 23 cases, 1 death in Angelina. Cleared 1% of Nacogdoches county tested (if multiple tests are discounted.)
SFAJack_76
Tough, tough times. I think our administration, faculty, and staff have done an outstanding job under the circumstances.
https://www.texastribune.org/2020/04/16/texas-universities-coronavirus/
RedRiverLa
nacluth said:

18260 cases, 453 deaths. April 18. 88 cases, 6 deaths in Nacogdoches. 23 cases, 1 death in Angelina. Cleared 1% of Nacogdoches county tested (if multiple tests are discounted.)
Louisiana 23,928 cases, 1296 deaths. Caddo Parish (Shreveport) 1,033 Cases, 39 deaths - and, they are stopping us at the TX/LA border - so craving CCs pickup!
nacluth
19458 cases, 495 deaths. April 20. 85 cases, 6 deaths in Nacogdoches. 23 cases, 1 death in Angelina. Apparently a little discrepancy between city and state numbers (state says Nac at 92). Almost 200k tests run in Texas.

Right now private labs have processed 95% of all tests. However there has been a noticeable slowdown in total testing in the past week. The positive test result percentage (around 12%) has remained steady, but we're processing less than 8,000 tests a day down from about 12k a day.
RedRiverLa
SFAJack_76 said:

Tough, tough times. I think our administration, faculty, and staff have done an outstanding job under the circumstances.
https://www.texastribune.org/2020/04/16/texas-universities-coronavirus/
I second that. My wife is the Financial Aid Director at Centenary College, so we've been watching all the colleges/university in the region and how they deal with it. SFA has really set the bar high as far as how it should be handled - really well done. Should be a case study others can use in in how to react.
nacluth
20196 cases, 517 deaths. April 21. 90 cases, 6 deaths in Nacogdoches. 27 cases, 1 death in Angelina. Happy San Jacinto Day.
SFAJack_76
nacluth said:

20196 cases, 517 deaths. April 21. 90 cases, 6 deaths in Nacogdoches. 27 cases, 1 death in Angelina. Happy San Jacinto Day.
Angelina County & Cities Health District is reporting 30 cases and no deaths. Three cases were added late yesterday, so that matches your numbers. Curious where you are getting the death.
nacluth
You're right 76. I had to go back and check. The Angelina Health District reported a death several weeks ago, but they then clarified it was for San Augustine County (which they oversee ad well as Polk Co). I never saw the clarification. 0 deaths in Angelina.
SFAJack_76
The Angelina Health District has not been very transparent, or timely with information. Certainly not as open as Nac has been.
nacluth
21069 cases, 543 deaths. April 22. 92 cases, 7 deaths in Nacogdoches. 30 cases in Angelina. Lufkin rescinds their stay home order.
TallTexan
nacluth said:

19458 cases, 495 deaths. April 20. 85 cases, 6 deaths in Nacogdoches. 23 cases, 1 death in Angelina. Apparently a little discrepancy between city and state numbers (state says Nac at 92). Almost 200k tests run in Texas.

Right now private labs have processed 95% of all tests. However there has been a noticeable slowdown in total testing in the past week. The positive test result percentage (around 12%) has remained steady, but we're processing less than 8,000 tests a day down from about 12k a day.
Lower testing numbers doesn't bode well for reopening safely.

We're up to 14 cases in Palestine, 7 or 8 are prison guards. They also have over 100 something more cases at the prison than a week ago. And that's after they shipped 90 prisoners with cases down to Brazoria.
nacluth
21944 cases, 561 deaths. April 23. 111 cases, 7 deaths in Nacogdoches. 31 cases in Angelina.

Despite what the state is talking about, cases are not slowing down on a daily rate. 19 confirmed cases for Nacogdoches in one day is the highest single day count yet.
SFA Jack Fanatic
nacluth said:

21944 cases, 561 deaths. April 23. 111 cases, 7 deaths in Nacogdoches. 31 cases in Angelina.

Despite what the state is talking about, cases are not slowing down on a daily rate. 19 confirmed cases for Nacogdoches in one day is the highest single day count yet.

May I recommend that you also include the number of those who have recovered across the state and in those two counties in order to give a better total picture of the situation?
nacluth
I don't really think the distinction between active cases and "recovered" cases is that relevant at the moment. The recovered designation is an estimate that is basically assigned to any case over 14 days old where a death didn't occur. There is no official "recovery" test.

An anecdote: I have a good friend whose brother and whole family in New York City have COVID currently. They have now experienced fever for 27 (!) days. Technically by the estimate, they have recovered, but they haven't.

Recovery is not a number I care about currently because it's an assumption based upon percentages of average viral experiences. Our numbers of confirmed cases themselves are only an observed number of found cases that don't represent the whole impact on our community. I'm not trying to hide data or make the numbers seem worse, but it's not significant to me. At some point when testing is better, time has passed, and the response is more unified, then active cases will be the preferred metric. We're just not there yet for me personally.

Here's the current recovered estimates. Texas: 8025. Nacogdoches: 20. I couldn't find where Angelina is reporting recovered estimates.
SFA Jack Fanatic
nacluth said:

Here's the current recovered estimates. Texas: 8025. Nacogdoches: 20. I couldn't find where Angelina is reporting recovered estimates.

Thank you. The local media where I live provides these numbers daily. It's good to have some positive numbers to look at rather than all negative all the time.
SFAJack_76
Not all counties are reporting "recovered" numbers.
nacluth
22806 cases, 593 deaths. April 24.

Single largest jump in cases (over 1700) in a single day in Texas.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.