COVID-19 info

69,110 Views | 431 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by TallTexan
Pilotgirl
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Superintendent updated us again and it will be on down the road until we are doing face to face school again. Positivity rates in 2 zipcodes in the school district I work for are 35%. Yes, you read right THIRTY-FIVE PERCENT.
TallTexan
Pilotgirl said:

Superintendent updated us again and it will be on down the road until we are doing face to face school again. Positivity rates in 2 zipcodes in the school district I work for are 35%. Yes, you read right THIRTY-FIVE PERCENT.

35%. Holy frijoles. That is insane.
Pilotgirl
Yes...so glad I can work from home. People who say this is a hoax have no idea!
TallTexan
Pilotgirl said:

Yes...so glad I can work from home. People who say this is a hoax have no idea!

I obviously can't share stories or numbers, but it's very very real. Marla's had a crazy week back at work.

Good word of advice to all: Wear a mask, wash your hands, and stay home so that you can avoid having to see my wife to learn how to say your name & eat food again.
nacluth
Today Anderson county hit 2,000 cases, Angelina 1,000 cases, Nac at 650 total.

Texas eclipsed 15,000 confirmed cases and had a record 175 deaths in a day.
TallTexan
nacluth said:

Today Anderson county hit 2,000 cases, Angelina 1,000 cases, Nac at 650 total.

Texas eclipsed 15,000 confirmed cases and had a record 175 deaths in a day.
It's straining our local hospital. They finally had to figure out a way to test employees who were filling sick so they could clear them to come back to work if it wasn't Covid. They needed to be able to have people to fill the shifts from increased demand.
PurpleOut
Staff
Prosper ISD announced they are opening as scheduled for face to face (with online still available). Only district I've seen thus far (I think) that isn't delaying in person school.
nacluth
So far Nacogdoches isn't either. In person or online with the ability to move back and forth at 6 weeks basically.

Also 57 cases locally today, by far the biggest single day total (45 from nursing homes).
TallTexan
nacluth said:

So far Nacogdoches isn't either. In person or online with the ability to move back and forth at 6 weeks basically.

Also 57 cases locally today, by far the biggest single day total (45 from nursing homes).

45 nursing home cases? Dang that is not good.
TallTexan
PurpleOut said:

Prosper ISD announced they are opening as scheduled for face to face (with online still available). Only district I've seen thus far (I think) that isn't delaying in person school.

Think Palestine is planning to open normally, with the exception of the first 4 Fridays are school from home days to practice distance learning.
Pilotgirl
We won't start in person until at least beginning of Sept. I'm thinking it will be closer to Oct..especially if Hidalgo and health authority get on the same page.
cboothe09
We start in person on Sept. 8...I probably still have in-service on campus August 3-7...Teachers will work on campus to some capacity during online learning. Wont be 8 hour days but we will be making appearances
nacluth
I haven't shared this earlier, but my sister's father-in-law is one of the top ER docs here at Nacogdoches Memorial. Around the 20th of June, he noticed COVID symptoms and quarantined at home. After 5-6 days of being ok, he developed breathing problems and checked himself into the hospital.

Two days later, he was in ICU intubated. Two more days later, he took a turn for the worse. Fearing that he was on death's door, he was transferred to Plano where they had a heart/lung machine in case his organs failed. However, there he made a recovery. He was later transferred back to Nac to finish his hospitalized rehabilitation. Yesterday he got out after 25 days in the hospital (9 I believe in ICU). Here's the video of his release:

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=618174482059511&id=158493844206402&__tn__=%2As%2As-R
TallTexan
Glad to hear he's recovering.
SFA Jack Fanatic
SFA Alum Hunter Dozier has been placed on the IL by the Royals after testing positive for the China Virus.
Jacks4460
SFA Jack Fanatic said:

SFA Alum Hunter Dozier has been placed on the IL by the Royals after testing positive for the China Virus.
SFA Jack Fanatic I usually stay away from political bs.. but you are spot on my friend this is the China Virus.. I dont care what anyone says they could of slowed it down or prevented it from coming over here..
SFA Jack Fanatic
Jacks4460 said:

SFA Jack Fanatic said:

SFA Jack Fanatic I usually stay away from political bs.. but you are spot on my friend this is the China Virus.. I dont care what anyone says they could of slowed it down or prevented it from coming over here..

My comment was not meant to be a political one. That's just the term I have used since it arrived here... its source of origin, just as several other epidemics have been named after theirs.
Jacks4460
SFA Jack Fanatic said:

Jacks4460 said:

SFA Jack Fanatic said:

My comment was not meant to be a political one. That's just the term I have used since it arrived here... its source of origin, just as several other epidemics have been named after theirs.
I hear you but President Trump has called it that and I agree with him...
nacluth
Over 300 estimated active cases in Nacogdoches right now with 50 patients in our hospitals. Both all time highs. We have to slow this thing before students come back.
TallTexan
nacluth said:

Over 300 estimated active cases in Nacogdoches right now with 50 patients in our hospitals. Both all time highs. We have to slow this thing before students come back.

Wow those numbers are bad.
djsfw57
SFA Jack Fanatic said:

It is NOT the China Virus. That is racist as hell.
SFA, Class of 1979
SFASawmillGuy
Agreed. Mods....
SFA Jack Fanatic
Oh, good grief.... I was making a comment about an SFA major leaguer going on the IL.
TallTexan
Guys, I'm not a mod, but this virus has an official name in Covid19 or Coronavirus. Let's use those for the discussion here, as divisive language doesn't help us track what's happening in the communities around us.

You'll find no bigger critic of the CCP than me, but the fact is that anti-chinese rhetoric on Covid has lead to over 2000 incidents of hate incidents against Asian Americans, including harassment & physical attacks. Let's make sure that our language doesn't contribute in any way to rhetoric that could put our students, neighbors, or fellow Texans in danger.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/anti-asian-american-hate-incidents-up-racism/
TallTexan
Can't find official numbers that don't relate to my "source" at the hospital, but suffice it to say that Palestine needs the Covid tide to ebb some in the next week or two or else we're going to be in a bad place.

Wish I could find official utilization numbers like Nacogdoches is releasing to yall.
TallTexan
This is not good for college football.

nacluth
Texas Cases and Deaths by Month

March: 3,266 cases - 41 deaths
April: 24,821 cases - 741 deaths
May: 39,466 cases - 890 deaths
June: 95,699 cases - 752 deaths
July: 260,960 cases - 4145 deaths

Current totals (August 1st): 430,485 cases - 6837 deaths

I think the numbers speak for themselves, but July was not good.

Some general perspective:

1.) The deadliest infectious diseases in Texas for many years are influenza and pneumonia (and other associated diseases). In 2018 (most recent stats available), 3600 Texans dies from these diseases. We had more COVID-19 deaths in the month of July than the worst infectious diseases typically kill in a year.

2.) The 7th top killer of Texans is diabetes at just less than 6,000 Texan deaths per year. COVID passed its annual numbers in the past four months.

3.) Heart disease is the #1 killer of Texans period. In 2017, 45,346 Texans died from heart disease for a monthly average of 3,779 deaths per month. At the present rate of death, COVID is the #1 killer of Texans. That's of all causes of deaths - accidents or diseases.

August is not starting good. The last day of June saw the largest daily increase of local cases (in Nacogdoches) at that time with 16 cases. The last day of July saw Nacogdoches set its new record for daily cases at 59. The state's daily death average is at its highest and has been climbing all month. As we prepare for school later this month, the current trajectory of the disease does not seem (to me) as compatible with sports - and honestly maybe not in-person school.

After June's report, I was really hoping for better news for July, but I think the stats are sobering. We need things to change in August.
Ryan
Kinnaird Guitars
SFAJack_76
Thanks for gathering and sharing facts. They are sobering. At least they are for those of us that put facts above emotions and disinformation.
TallTexan
Thanks Nacluth.

I've heard reports here locally in Palestine that Covid has made it into several of our nursing homes. Early reports says mostly mild cases.

But it's a bear to keep anything from spreading in a nursing home. August is not looking great.
TallTexan
Just checked the numbers, our 7 day average of tests per day is down over 50% from late July. From 67k to 29k tests per day.

Cases are down from 9700 avg per day, to 7k avg per day, 7 day average.

Hospitalizations are thankfully down, from 10,800 to 7200.

Deaths peaked a week ago at a 306 per day, with a 7 day average of 232. Today's 7 day average is 220. We're losing lots of folks.

Alarmingly, the current 7 day avg positivity rate in Texas is 24%, up from 13% in late July. That, along with the drastically lower testing numbers does not bode well for us.
nacluth
324 deaths today statewide. There is some optimism in the recent numbers that maybe we're leveling off some. But I think there's also a sense of testing fatigue.

SFA is trying their best to stay open, and they need to financially. Let's hope for good and safe students.
TallTexan
nacluth said:

324 deaths today statewide. There is some optimism in the recent numbers that maybe we're leveling off some. But I think there's also a sense of testing fatigue.

SFA is trying their best to stay open, and they need to financially. Let's hope for good and safe students.

77% of UT Austin students are fully online. Do we have NY sense of why that number is for SFA?
SFA Jack Fanatic
TallTexan said:

nacluth said:

77% of UT Austin students are fully online. Do we have NY sense of why that number is for SFA?

I have neither a New York sense nor ANY sense of it. (Sorry, Texan. Couldn't resist taking a poke at you...)
TallTexan
Lol, it made me chuckle. I'll take a New York, Texas sense of it if you have one of those.
Jacks4460
Just saw some data base upgrade the state did has the last 2 weeks data wrong for TX.. what a cluster.. it's what they do they try to scare us and confuse us.. sheesh..

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.