COVID-19 info

68,012 Views | 431 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by TallTexan
djsfw57
How long do you want to ignore this user?
My cousin's son works at a hospital. She texted me tonight to tell me that her son had just come from a hospital staff meeting where they were given the following information:

COVID-19 is spreading quickly by way of gas pumps. You should wear gloves or wrap the handles with paper towels or plastic bags before pumping your gas.

I realize that sounds otherworldly, but I don't believe we can be too cautious at this point. Too much sickness spreading too quickly. Regardless of your take on this, please be safe and careful.
SFAJack_76
PurpleOut
Staff
Dallas County is going to full lock down starting tonight. Well not "full" I guess but pretty close. I expect this will start in other highly populated counties pretty quickly.

How is everyone here doing? Maybe we should start a different COVID thread for positive stuff, things you're doing, memes, etc?
nacluth
Being a two man trade shop, my job is cyclical. I have constant work but guitar shows/big events focus our building over the course of the year. For this past year, we've been planning on two big shows and adding a build-your-own-guitar class to our shop. All this was going to happen between March 18 to April 7. It all got blown up.

Add to that the disappointment of missing Katy, losing about $800 in travel costs, and not getting some long awaited vacation, it's all hit me pretty hard. The day to day is not too tedious, but like many of you I'm sure whose jobs really cannot take a month off from work (or realistically longer from people buying your product) is tough. I make 10-14 guitars a year. I do have work lined up for a couple of months, but an event like this almost broke the guitar market in 2008. I'm not sure my little company will make it if this continues for long term.

To be honest, I've been working hard for a break, and this just means there isn't one now. I'll keep on plugging away, and maybe things will start to work themselves out. Still no Nacogdoches cases, everyone in my family is still well. Hope everyone is keeping safe.
BigJack85
Things are solid in the northern suburbs of Houston. My business (data networking components) is facing a challenge. When the economy grinds to a halt, like it has, our business suffers. That is a bummer.
SFA Jack Fanatic
nacluth said:

Still no Nacogdoches cases,

I saw a story somewhere that said that a Nac physician has tested positive. May have been Nacogdoches County and not the city.
SFAJack_76
SFA Jack Fanatic said:

nacluth said:

I saw a story somewhere that said that a Nac physician has tested positive. May have been Nacogdoches County and not the city.
There are no reported cases in Nacogdoches County. Yet.
djsfw57
I was told a mask and gloves were sufficient for going to the grocery store. That clearly was a lie. Everyone else was wearing clothes. Duped again!

PS I know COVID-19 is not something to be taken lightly. Trust me, I don't. But I do think we still need to find laughter!
nacluth
SFA Jack Fanatic said:

nacluth said:

Unfortunately it was a local physician claiming she had it with no conclusive test. She has caused a lot of panic. Many are divided on whether her scare tactics are a positive thing.

Hospitals have reported that with their testing so far, no positive tests in Angelina or Nacogdoches Counties. Of course this will likely not be the case for long.
TallTexan
nacluth said:

SFA Jack Fanatic said:

nacluth said:

Unfortunately it was a local physician claiming she had it with no conclusive test. She has caused a lot of panic. Many are divided on whether her scare tactics are a positive thing.

Hospitals have reported that with their testing so far, no positive tests in Angelina or Nacogdoches Counties. Of course this will likely not be the case for long.
Same with Anderson County(Palestine). That said, nobody knows how many tests we've done, so you can't really say we don't have it if we've only tested a handful of folks.

Last I heard, Smith County was up to 10.
TallTexan
nacluth said:

Being a two man trade shop, my job is cyclical. I have constant work but guitar shows/big events focus our building over the course of the year. For this past year, we've been planning on two big shows and adding a build-your-own-guitar class to our shop. All this was going to happen between March 18 to April 7. It all got blown up.

Add to that the disappointment of missing Katy, losing about $800 in travel costs, and not getting some long awaited vacation, it's all hit me pretty hard. The day to day is not too tedious, but like many of you I'm sure whose jobs really cannot take a month off from work (or realistically longer from people buying your product) is tough. I make 10-14 guitars a year. I do have work lined up for a couple of months, but an event like this almost broke the guitar market in 2008. I'm not sure my little company will make it if this continues for long term.

To be honest, I've been working hard for a break, and this just means there isn't one now. I'll keep on plugging away, and maybe things will start to work themselves out. Still no Nacogdoches cases, everyone in my family is still well. Hope everyone is keeping safe.
Do you guys sell many online? Or have an email list of contacts?

If you send me over a few photos of your guys recent work, I'd be happy to share on my twitter. (Same offer goes for any small businesses on here that are struggling).
nacluth
Officially 410, 9 deaths for Texas March 24. Still no Nac/Angelina cases.

Thanks Tex. We do primarily sell online. I may take you up on your offer. Going to get to have a sit down with the boss for the first time in a week today.
cboothe09
My little neck of the burbs is pretty good too. Just braved Kroger (The line for HEB was ridiculous) to get some essentials because of the shelter in place order that just came down.

I'm in education so life pushes forward this week. My district already offers one-to-one technology, so going online isn't a big change for us. Actually makes life a little easier in my opinion. Less classroom management, and just post videos of lectures and hold a zoom meeting or two with students that have questions.
BigJack85
What "Burb"? I'm in Gleannloch if you know that area?
cboothe09
Not far at all from you. I'm in Kingwood
No-look
Ryan builds some fantastic guitars for celebrities and known musicians. Works of art.
nacluth
715 cases, 11 deaths for March 25th. About a 75% jump in confirmed cases in one day. Still none here in Nac/Lufkin/Palestine.
nacluth
Nevermind. First confirmed case in Nac.
nacluth
For those of you in Nacogdoches that may need this info. Call center and mobile testing site set up. You must call the center and be verified to get a test.

nacluth
1396 cases, 16 deaths. One confirmed in Nac/one in Lufkin. March 26. Almost doubled in 36 hours.

Sorry for this thread. I've started using it as a tracking spot for some perspective. Please feel free to post what you've been up to or anything else helpful as well.
TallTexan
nacluth said:

1396 cases, 16 deaths. One confirmed in Nac/one in Lufkin. March 26. Almost doubled in 36 hours.

Sorry for this thread. I've started using it as a tracking spot for some perspective. Please feel free to post what you've been up to or anything else helpful as well.

I think we're gonna see number explode across East Texas in the next week. Not enough testing going on, but when it ramps up, we'll start to see higher numbers.
SFAJack_76
nacluth
1659 cases, 23 deaths. March 27. These numbers do not reflect the post above. Official numbers still have one here, one in Lufkin.
TallTexan
Smith County(Tyler) is up to 27 cases.
nacluth
2052 cases, 27 deaths. March 28. One in Nac, one in Angelina. The ones reported by the tweet yesterday were rumor not official. Angelina is at 1 despite having two yesterday. I believe that person is being accounted for by another county.
SFAJack_76
nacluth
Second case confirmed in Nac. We're still open while many nearby communities are shutting down.
SFAJack_76
nacluth
2552 cases, 34 deaths, March 29. Two cases in Nac, 3 in Angelina. Nacogdoches County under stay home orders and essential business only starting tomorrow at noon tomorrow. Potential fines up to $10K and 180 days in jail.
SFA Jack Fanatic
Governor Abbott has signed an Executive Order which bans travel coming into Texas from Louisiana. Exempt are commerce, military, and medical vehicles. All others will be stopped by the DPS and required to quarantine for 14 days.

Louisiana is a major hotbed of the virus, much of it originating in New Orleans. From Mardi Gras crowds, perhaps??

Also, the City of Galveston has shut down its beaches until April 5, which will most certainly be extended. Surfside Beach (down the coast a bit from Galveston) closed its beaches last night. There were over 600 people, mostly partiers from Houston, on Surfside's beaches yesterday before it was closed. Stupid people.
SFA Jack Fanatic
President Trump just extended the social distancing guidelines until the end of April.
SFAJack_76
For those old enough to remember Pogo, "We have met the enemy and he is us."
nacluth
PurpleOut
Staff
The stay at home orders are doing almost nothing. I went to get groceries on Saturday, and you couldn't tell anything was happening just by the amount of people driving around. Walmart was full, and all of the Home Depot/Lowes type stores are PACKED. I'm in Collin County.
nacluth
2877 cases, 38 deaths. March 30. Nac with 2, Angelina 3. Got sent home from work today with all non-essential businesses closing. Wife works in government so there's still someone working, but it sucks not being able to earn a paycheck.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.