COVID-19 info

68,057 Views | 431 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by TallTexan
TallTexan
How long do you want to ignore this user?
nacluth said:

Nacogdoches just cracked 200 cases. Took two weeks to go from 100 to 200 compared to a month for the first 100 (not unexpected). Angelina has gone from 55 to 93 in the last four days. (Edit: make that a clean 100 for Angelina)

I'm glad to have my first full week of work in a long time, and from my perspective, traffic and business in Nacogdoches has picked up considerably. Not back to normal but significantly different than under quarantine. Hope everyone is still staying safe.

Whats on the guitar schedule? Still waiting for conferences and festivals to resume?
nacluth
Zilch. All festivals canceled through July. I still have the Woodstock Guitar Festival on my calendar for the end of October, but who knows how New York is going to look by then?

Orders and sales thankfully holding steady for now, so business hasn't felt it much. Long term is unclear.
TallTexan
That's good to hear on the orders. Yall make some awesome looking guitars.

Speaking of festivals, Nac still planning to have Blueberry festival?
TallTexan
This is no bueno for schools our size.

PurpleOut
Staff
TallTexan said:

Surprised we haven't seen more like this to be honest.
SFAJack_76
SFAJack_76
nacluth
TallTexan said:

Nope. It's gone.
cboothe09
Don't have to worry about that if you don't have athletic fees
SFASawmillGuy
2021 is gonna be crazy with all these festivals and events trying to go all out since they missed a year.
SFAJack_76
Good read.

https://www.newyorker.com/science/medical-dispatch/amid-the-coronavirus-crisis-a-regimen-for-reentry
TallTexan
PurpleOut said:

TallTexan said:

Surprised we haven't seen more like this to be honest.
Think we're just getting started.
TallTexan
nacluth said:

TallTexan said:

Nope. It's gone.
Figured it was. I was gonna skip this year even if it was going to be held.

I'm curious what they're planning with the Dogwood festival here. I haven't heard anything about it since the first week after they "postponed it".
SFAJack_76
Chicago State May be next. That whole athletic department was already a mess though. They don't belong in the WAC.
TallTexan
I wonder what'll be the first football team to get the axe considering that they're the biggest expense in most athletic departments.
SFASawmillGuy
Also generally the highest revenue sports out of all the sports for most universities. And most athletic departments use football as a MASSIVE status symbol for how big their department is. For most schools cutting football means there was no other option to save their entire athletic department.

If I had to guess it would have to be a truly abysmal program though that's really never competitive.(no we do not fall into this category). Probably a D2 or D3 program to be honest, but couldn't see this forcing out any D1 program, FCS or FBS, unless they were already considering cutting their program.

PurpleOut
Staff
I've been curious how the Louisiana schools are handling this, especially Nicholls State who we know had a ton of money issues in the past.

Found this article from just 5 moths ago around overall school funding. Nothing around athletics really, but their student fees now make up a ton of their funding. https://www.houmatoday.com/news/20191215/decade-later-nicholls-students-faculty-still-bearing-weight-of-state-cuts

In a different article around UL, it says Nichollls AD funding is made of 30% student fees, the most in the state.
Pilotgirl
"Lamar University restructuring, job cuts to reduce operating costs" https://kfdm.com/amp/news/local/lamar-university-restructuring-job-cuts-to-reduce-operating-costs
TallTexan
Idk how Nicholls can keep from cuts. They were out of money before.
TallTexan
Does our football team or other FCS teams actually make money though?
SFASawmillGuy
To be honest college athletics in general dont make money outside of the UT, A&M, Alabama, and other huge name brands. It's more about trying to break even, which most football programs in the FCS manage to do or to get close to. Football is also a big recruiting tool for prospective students as some students do place value on a school based on if they have a football team or not.
Basketball also rarely makes money, with this year against duke being a huge oddity. I'm sure if football was able to take down LSU or something we'd see similar attention and praise.
The biggest thing is would cutting a specific sport help or hinder the school, and really for SFA cutting any specific sport would not help anything.
TallTexan
I'd like to see us avoid cutting sports.

Didn't know most football teams got pretty close to breaking even though. Figured they were all much in the red at our level.
SFASawmillGuy
Well like a light red. Lol
SFAJack_76
Central Michigan announced today they were dropping men's track and field effective immediately.
SFASawmillGuy
That one is confusing because that seems like it's by far the cheapest sport to field. You have to buy uniforms. That's basically it.
SFAJack_76
SFA_03 said:

That one is confusing because that seems like it's by far the cheapest sport to field. You have to buy uniforms. That's basically it.

It is more than that, but your point is well taken. Their release says it would impact 36 student-athletes. Men's T&F is only allowed 12.6 scholarships. The equivalent of 23.4 paying tuitions goes away. Plus the other positives of having the program. I don't understand their math.
cboothe09
Gotta remember things like travel. Being up north, I imagine there a lot of travel south towards the beginning of the season.
TallTexan
Ya the ones were they cut paying students is an interesting use of logic.

I'd bet most track teams break close to even given the number of paying students.
SFAJack_76
Hope they succeed.
TallTexan
Let this be a lesson, fundraise for the team before they get cut.
SFAJack_76
TallTexan said:

Yep. Football at UAB was a similar story. Cut football. Raised $27 million in six months. Reinstated football.
SFAJack_76
TallTexan said:

Idk how Nicholls can keep from cuts. They were out of money before.
Well ....
TallTexan
I bet their chemistry dept was lit.
TallTexan
SFAJack_76 said:

TallTexan said:

Yep. Football at UAB was a similar story. Cut football. Raised $27 million in six months. Reinstated football.

Say, what do you think we could raise with a year off?
nacluth
If anyone has been following Nacogdoches numbers, you will probably notice that the numbers are significantly lower. The city has been transitioning from their testing to state testing. There is a little gap in consistency of numbers. However the state just tested 2000 people locally. Those numbers should be coming back soon.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.