2022-2023 Ladyjack Basketball

37,979 Views | 417 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by SFA Jack Fanatic
Pilotgirl
How long do you want to ignore this user?
TallTexan said:

Any cool MTEs or overseas trips for the Ladyjacks?

SFAJack_76
Pilotgirl said:

TallTexan said:

Any cool MTEs or overseas trips for the Ladyjacks?

Not for me to share, but I understand there is one planned that is much better than Katy.
SFAJack_76
Difficult loss. Kayla is really good at what she does.
nacluth
She deserves the move up, but another one that hurts.
Pilotgirl
I don't think everyone realized exactly everything that Kayla was responsible for & allllll the hours she works. So extremely happy for her new gig...what an amazing opportunity!
SFAXE93
SFAXE93
SFAJack_76
SFAJack_76
SFAJack_76
SFAXE93
Player Info.
https://uncbears.com/sports/womens-basketball/roster/kurstyn-harden/8581
SFAXE93
This team is going to have some height

C:#00 SKYE MASON 6-4 (JR.)
F:#21 AIYANA JOHNSON 6-3 (SR.)
F:#00 HARDEN KURSTYN 6-3 (JR.)
G:#1 ZOE NELSON 6-1 (SO.)
F:#11 AVERY BRITTINGHAM 6-0 (JR.)
G:#2 TYLER MCCLIMENT-CALL 6-0 (JR.)
SFAJack_76
SFAXE93 said:

You can't coach height.
SFA Jack Fanatic
SFAJack_76 said:

SFAXE93 said:

You can't coach height.

Coach Kellogg said we now have two of the best post players in the WAC. That's high praise for an incoming transfer. And that's not even including a now-healthy AB in the discussion. Depth. Talented depth.
SFAJack_76
Pilotgirl
Been super busy & haven't checked in here in awhile...HEYYY!

I watched our game against UNC in March over the weekend & I am super pumped about this next year! Watching it in person versus TV is so different! Anyway, my biggest take away was Steph's game was way off. She wasn't much of a factor 1st qtr, sat much of 2nd, turned in ON during the 3rd, up and down during the 4th . My point is: we lead 3 of 4 qtrs with an off-game from Steph. With the returning players & new players....this team has the ability to be another magical team. #AxeEm
SFAXE93
djsfw57
SFAXE93 said:

Did I understand this correctly? 12 conference games, and only 3 at home? WTH is that all about?
SFA, Class of 1979
nacluth
No, 9 and 9. Even home and away action.
djsfw57
nacluth said:

No, 9 and 9. Even home and away action.
Thanks. I wondered why there were only 12 conference games scheduled. I should have figured it out, but my brain is on vacation.
SFA, Class of 1979
SFA88
SFAXE93 said:

I think the WAC did a good job with the schedules. I don't think it is a coincidence that the top men's and women's teams from last year (including the UTA women) play each other twice with a preference toward regional games and rivalries. On the women's side SFA, CBU, GCU, and UTA all play each other twice.

Same thing on the men's side with SFA, NMSU, ACU, and GCU. SU was good last year but they aren't asking SFA to travel to Seattle but SFA does play SHSU twice and the UTA men weren't good so they don't play all those teams twice.
BigJack85
SFA88 said:

SFAXE93 said:

I think the WAC did a good job with the schedules. I don't think it is a coincidence that the top men's and women's teams from last year (including the UTA women) play each other twice with a preference toward regional games and rivalries. On the women's side SFA, CBU, GCU, and UTA all play each other twice.

Same thing on the men's side with SFA, NMSU, ACU, and GCU. SU was good last year but they aren't asking SFA to travel to Seattle but SFA does play SHSU twice and the UTA men weren't good so they don't play all those teams twice.

I agree. Clearly they worked for balance, regional rivalries while limiting travel as much as possible
Axe 'Em Jacks - Class of 85'
SFAXE93
SFA BASKETBALL (WOMEN) 2022-2023

C:#15 SKYE MASON 6-4 (FR.)
C:#24 KURSTYN HARDEN 6-3 (JR.)
F:#21 AIYANA JOHNSON 6-3 (G/SR.)
F:#23 BRIONNA SCOTT 5-10 (JR.)
G:#20 ANGEL SCOTT 5-10 (SO.)
G:#3 AVERY VAN SICKLE 5-10 (R/FR.)
G:#4 DESTINI LOMBARD 5-9 (JR.)
G:#12 KYLA DECK 5-9 (FR.)
G:#22 ZYA NUGENT 5-7 (SR.)
G:#10 JORDAN HARRISON 5-6 (FR.)
Pilotgirl
SFAXE93 said:

SFA BASKETBALL (WOMEN) 2022-2023

C:#15 SKYE MASON 6-4 (FR.)
C:#24 KURSTYN HARDEN 6-3 (JR.)
F:#21 AIYANA JOHNSON 6-3 (G/SR.)
F:#23 BRIONNA SCOTT 5-10 (JR.)
G:#20 ANGEL SCOTT 5-10 (SO.)
G:#3 AVERY VAN SICKLE 5-10 (R/FR.)
G:#4 DESTINI LOMBARD 5-9 (JR.)
G:#12 KYLA DECK 5-9 (FR.)
G:#22 ZYA NUGENT 5-7 (SR.)
G:#10 JORDAN HARRISON 5-6 (FR.)

Looking forward to getting to know new students!
Pilotgirl
For all:

What questions would you like to ask Ladyjack Legends from the Gary Blair era? I have some ideas but throwing it out there to yall also TIA!
Pilotgirl
So awesome! The W Club podcast will have several Ladies on soon & we will get the skinny on the reunion from this weekend!
SFA Jack Fanatic
Pilotgirl said:

For all:

What questions would you like to ask Ladyjack Legends from the Gary Blair era? I have some ideas but throwing it out there to yall also TIA!

I honestly can't think of anything, Pilot, but I'd love to hear yours.
SFA88
Pilotgirl said:

So awesome! The W Club podcast will have several Ladies on soon & we will get the skinny on the reunion from this weekend!

I have never heard anyone say bad things about coach Blair. Even the long time Sundevil women basketball announcers say he is one of their favorite people in the business.
SFA88
We don't have the full schedule but we know the conference teams. How does everyone see this season going? GCU had a nice off-season and they brought in better shooters. They will be improved but still not on SFA's level IMO. The team I think could push SFA is UTA. They had a great year last year and played well in the NCAA tourney. They also have their top scorer returning.
nacluth
Yeah, we may drop a game or two in conference, it really depends how the new players gel to the system, but I don't expect anything besides top spot this year.

I wasn't crazy about how Aiyana finished the season last year, so her gameplay this season will dictate a lot. If we can establish a style with the new players that isn't as reliant on Aiyana having a solid game, then we should be good.
SFA88
Yeah, in these days of the transfer portal, that's crux of it for everybody. Each team has to quickly integrate freshman, vets, and transfers.

I guess the big men's programs have been dealing with similar issues with "one and done" for a few years but now it is also women's programs and smaller schools.
Pilotgirl
nacluth said:

Yeah, we may drop a game or two in conference, it really depends how the new players gel to the system, but I don't expect anything besides top spot this year.

I wasn't crazy about how Aiyana finished the season last year, so her gameplay this season will dictate a lot. If we can establish a style with the new players that isn't as reliant on Aiyana having a solid game, then we should be good.

I'm excited about playing two big players under the basket (which Kellogg has alluded to trying ). If we are able to do that, whew!!! Watch out!
SFAJack_76
nacluth said:

Aiyana is a great talent, and I am very pleased she chose to play one more year. There are games that she should dominate that she doesn't. Her play can be frustrating. Having depth behind her that we haven't had (Aaliyah was more a 3 than a 5) could make a huge difference.

PG is the key for me. Is Angel ready for the starting job? What reserve will be ready to provide 10-15 quality minutes per game. Freshman Jordan Harrison is going to be great, but what freshman is ready to run point on a top 50 D1 team?
Pilotgirl
SFAJack_76 said:

nacluth said:

Aiyana is a great talent, and I am very pleased she chose to play one more year. There are games that she should dominate that she doesn't. Her play can be frustrating. Having depth behind her that we haven't had (Aaliyah was more a 3 than a 5) could make a huge difference.

PG is the key for me. Is Angel ready for the starting job? What reserve will be ready to provide 10-15 quality minutes per game. Freshman Jordan Harrison is going to be great, but what freshman is ready to run point on a top 50 D1 team?
I was really pleased with Angel's freshman effort. She showed progress and was a contributor early in the season. I think she gets the PG starting role. I am also very excited to see what Jordan is able to do this year....is she our next Brii???
SFA88

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.