2024 SEASON

36,309 Views | 348 Replies | Last: 3 days ago by Ljacks&Longnecks
SFAXE93
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Wow, they were originally located in Gunspoint... I mean Greenspoint.

"History has no rubbish heap." Louis Blake Duff
BigJack85
SFAXE93 said:

Wow, they were originally located in Gunspoint... I mean Greenspoint.

My old stomping grounds….. literally. Used to go there until 1982 as it was the closest mall, until Willowbrook was built.
SFAXE93
I lived there from 1995-2005.

The police department was in the Greenspoint Mall.

My first trip to the mall there I witnessed a cop throwing a guy up against the wall putting the cuffs on him.

Nobody, would mess with my old rusty Ford Ranger pickup.

I'd come out in the morning at the apartment complex I lived at on Ella Blvd. and cars would be up on blocks, tires gone and there would be my truck in the middle of it all, untouched. lol

I'd go to Deerbrook Mall down the road in Humble.
SCH890
It appears our special game is against ACU on Nov 23rd at home. Then we play at ACU on September 13 2025..

In before that just becomes a normal conference game next year lol.
TallTexan
SCH890 said:

It appears our special game is against ACU on Nov 23rd at home. Then we play at ACU on September 13 2025..

I'll take it. I like playing ACU.
SCH890
TallTexan said:

SCH890 said:

I'll take it. I like playing ACU.
Same. Gotta keep the rivalry going. We need to find something to call it.
BigJack85
SCH890 said:

Probably right.

One analyst I follow called the current WAC a "prisoner's dilemma"'. Each member of the WAC is relying on everyone else to resist temptation to leave. CBU to Big West. UVU to Summit. Etc. Etc. All it takes is one move. Then poof.
SCH890
BigJack85 said:

SCH890 said:

Probably right.

One analyst I follow called the current WAC a "prisoner's dilemma"'. Each member of the WAC is relying on everyone else to resist temptation to leave. CBU to Big West. UVU to Summit. Etc. Etc. All it takes is one move. Then poof.
Honestly I think we will see everything more clearly after this year. Since that's when SU and GCU leave. I think that'll be the last of the WAC.
SFAXE93
Good, I like beating ACU.
Ljacks&Longnecks
That would be a good home game pickup. I like the rivalry feel that seems to be growing vs ACU. Would like to see it continue. Those MBB games vs ACU have been intense and fun (when we come out on top).
ACU seems to have a good commitment to their athletic side of the University and I can admire that aspect of our rivalry.

PLUS, If the 4 team MBB MTE is still on for Nov 21-23, I can drive up for a lot of SFA action that long weekend.
SFASawmillGuy
I like it but my only concern about it is the possibility that we could potentially have the playoffs on lock by that point if we win the conference, and would probably want to rest our starters for the matchup.

Don't get me wrong, if we're in that situation I will be more than ecstatic and happy for us to not have to worry about winning that game, but I just don't want to see us lose at home or lose any players before the postseason for a game that won't mean anything.
Ljacks&Longnecks
Well Sawmill that is a good point.
Even as one of the bigger SFA football fans on the board, I have to say based on recent past seasons, I say plenty of work to do to.make that (post season) happen. If we are resting our starters on the 23rd, I'll be most pleased.
BigJack85
Ljacks&Longnecks said:

Well Sawmill that is a good point.
Even as one of the bigger SFA football fans on the board, I have to say based on recent past seasons, I say plenty of work to do to.make that (post season) happen. If we are resting our starters on the 23rd, I'll be most pleased.

I can see 6 wins. Maybe 7. What's your take L&L?
Ljacks&Longnecks
Nichols. UIW and perhaps Lamar are the 3 toughest SLC games. I believe we can win the other conference games but that is based only on last year records and returners of the 3 mentioned.
We won't beat UNT, so I have us at 7-4 or 8-3. That doesn't of course include the recent ACU added game.
We always seem to have a clunker--although last year we had several.
If the new offense clicks---we have good running backs---we need receivers to step up, perhaps 1 or 2 of the newcomers/transfers. There are a lot of new OL guys and that has been an excuse in the past.
It's hard to expect miracle turnarounds but if the offense presents itself as advertised, if the OL develops into a strength, then 8-4 is surely within reach.
Coming off last year 8-4 would be quite an achievement. Have to believe that the pressure will be on Carthel to produce. With new leadership in place, if we falter to another 3-8 type season then I think we would see change.

Playoffs?? Who knows. 8-4 or better with playoffs would be a Home Run. 8-4 without playoffs would still stand as a quality season in my book. Those that don't like Carthel would still complain.

So, I'm calling 8-4.

LOL, did I say 8-4 enough
SFA Jack Fanatic
Correct me if I'm wrong, but did you say 8-4?
TallTexan
I have used advanced science & mathematics to project our 2024 results. See below.

NAU- W
UNT - W
McNeese- W
UNC- W
NSU- W
Lamar- W
SLU- W
HCU-W
Nicholls- Two Ws, since they have 2 Ls.
Commerce- W
UIW- W
ACU- W

13-0. Go Jacks!
Ljacks&Longnecks
Well, that takes the pressure off me with my 8-4.
SFAXE93
TallTexan
Ljacks&Longnecks said:

Well, that takes the pressure off me with my 8-4.

SFAXE93
OL: DANIEL KEYS to Louisiana Tech
BigJack85
9-3 is the stretch goal.
SFAXE93
SFAXE93
SFAXE93
SFA had to pay Montana State $150,000 for the cancelled game.

https://www.bozemandailychronicle.com/sports/bobcats/football/montana-state-stephen-f-austin-mercyhurst/article_8c7c36f4-eaa5-55b6-9906-b64cd56ec02b.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=bozchronsports
SFASawmillGuy
SFAXE93 said:

SFA had to pay Montana State $150,000 for the cancelled game.

https://www.bozemandailychronicle.com/sports/bobcats/football/montana-state-stephen-f-austin-mercyhurst/article_8c7c36f4-eaa5-55b6-9906-b64cd56ec02b.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=bozchronsports

Still hate the decision, but it was obviously for conference scheduling reasons. Still wish we could've axed the NAU game and opened up against MSU.
Ljacks&Longnecks
Good. Had a contract. Still a bad look to cancel so close to the start of the season.
Honor the deal, then would have had a high quality home game the next season.
Don't care if it came from McBroom or Weaver or the UT system. Another bad example of how commitments mean nothing anymore. And yes I would gladly tell them in person if anyone asks.

But that's over and done and I'm ready to see what Jacks football brings to the table this year.
SFASawmillGuy
The worst part of the cancellation isn't even the bad look, even though it is a bad look, it's that on our schedule I see that as the only either signature win or quality loss we could have outside of upsetting UNT.

Yes, I probably am not giving UIW or Nicholls enough credit, but as far as pure quality games the committee will look at for an at large bid, I don't think there's a single other game on our schedule that really stands out. Any losses will be seen as either just a loss or a bad loss in the grand scheme of things, and unless we absolutely dominate everyone we might need help outside of winning the conference.
SFAJack_76
Ljacks&Longnecks said:

Good. Had a contract. Still a bad look to cancel so close to the start of the season.
Don't care if it came from McBroom or Weaver or the UT system. Another bad example of how commitments mean nothing anymore. And yes I would gladly tell them in person if anyone asks.

But that's over and done and I'm ready to see what Jacks football brings to the table this year.
Why was it cancelled?
SFASawmillGuy
SFAJack_76 said:

Ljacks&Longnecks said:

Why was it cancelled?

I have to assume it was because of the conference change. McNeese State will be our conference opener on Sept 14 which was the original date of the Montana State. Looking at MSU's schedule there's no way the game could've been rescheduled without them cancelling their FBS game against New Mexico or their game against Utah Tech.

Unfortunately the SLC put us in a bad position by scheduling us a conference game that week. SFA actually had zero to do with the cancellation but we are the ones being punished for it.
SFA Jack Fanatic
SFAXE93 said:

But on a lighter note, I like the helmets!
SFAXE93
SFA (leading receiver) Junior Kylon Harris talks about returning to the SLC and being closer to his home state of Louisiana.

Ljacks&Longnecks
Don't know 76. Not an insider so will never be given a reason. I imagine like Sawmill Guy said, due to having to setup an SLC schedule. That said, the SLC move seems to have been a done deal for months before the official announcement. Could have backed out of the contract much sooner and given MSU a better chance to fill our spot with a quality opponent instead of having to scramble for anybody.
If situation was reversed, then there would be comments directed against MSU on this board for the late backing out and leaving a hole in the schedule.
If it was due to the SLC scheduling, then I suppose we had no choice--but should have broken contract months earlier when SLC move was planned.
If it is about the budget, then SFA has more problems than moving to the SLC will solve.
Powers that be could have issued a statement on the matter, but that seldom happens. Heck 99%+ of SFA community probably didn't know Montana St was on the schedule or was booted off.
SFAJack_76
I can say with absolute certainty that moving to the SLC was not a topic of any discussion until after Ivey left.

I was just curious since you were adamant about telling them in person that it was a bad decision. Thought maybe you knew the facts.
Ljacks&Longnecks
Not at all adamant about telling them in person. That was directed at you since you got rather indignant once when I pointed out a WBB attendance figure as overinflated and your response was "how dare I" and then challenged me to tell Ivey to his face that I thought the figure was bogus.
I'm sure with your standing among Jack nation that you know why we canceled.
Facts or not, It was/is a bad look to back out of a contract on short notice. I suspect as a businessman you would not have stood for someone backing out of an agreement with your business and leaving you in a spot.

If SFA leadership was forthcoming on moves that they make then we could all be informed. Only the insiders and the connected get the real story. Rest of us are left to make of it what we will.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.