2024 SEASON

20,108 Views | 204 Replies | Last: 9 hrs ago by SFAXE93
SFAXE93
How long do you want to ignore this user?

Again, at Conway, that's 4 out of the last 5 games in Conway. We do a home and home with everyone else but UCA.

Finally get to play North Alabama.

We get the newest UAC member West Georgia and a trip to Carrollton, Georgia.

4 out of 5 stretch on the road.

2024 United Athletic Conference (UAC) Football Conference Schedule (game times TBA)

Saturday, Sept. 14
Austin Peay at Central Arkansas
West Georgia at EKU

Saturday, Sept. 21
Tarleton State at West Georgia

Saturday, Sept. 28
Abilene Christian at Utah Tech
Southern Utah at Austin Peay
EKU at Stephen F. Austin
West Georgia at North Alabama

Saturday, Oct. 5
Stephen F. Austin at Abilene Christian
North Alabama at Utah Tech
Tarleton State at Southern Utah
Austin Peay at West Georgia

Saturday, Oct. 12
Abilene Christian at North Alabama
Stephen F. Austin at Central Arkansas
West Georgia at Southern Utah
Utah Tech at Tarleton State

Saturday, Oct. 19
Central Arkansas at Abilene Christian
EKU at Austin Peay

Saturday, Oct. 26
Tarleton State at Austin Peay
North Alabama at Central Arkansas
Southern Utah at EKU
Utah Tech at Stephen F. Austin

Saturday, Nov. 2
Southern Utah at Abilene Christian
Austin Peay at North Alabama
Central Arkansas at Utah Tech
EKU at Tarleton State
Stephen F. Austin at West Georgia

Saturday, Nov. 9
Abilene Christian at Austin Peay
Central Arkansas at Tarleton State
North Alabama at EKU
Stephen F. Austin at Southern Utah
Utah Tech at West Georgia

Saturday, Nov. 16
EKU at Abilene Christian
Austin Peay at Utah Tech
West Georgia at Central Arkansas
Southern Utah at North Alabama
Tarleton State at Stephen F. Austin

Saturday, Nov. 23
Abilene Christian at Tarleton State
Central Arkansas at EKU
North Alabama at Stephen F. Austin
Utah Tech at Southern Utah

Saturday, Nov. 30 - FCS Playoffs (First Round)
SFASawmillGuy
*takes a shot of Stone Fort and chases it with purple lights*

Undefeated perfect season followed by the battle of the Jacks in the national championship as we take on SDSU in the Natty and win 2005 Texas Longhorn Style as Brian Maurer takes it in on 4th down and 5 with the ballgame on the line.

Seriously though, this offseason is going to be the defining moment for this era of SFA football. The talent is there. Only question will be rebuilding the offensive line. It'll be very interesting to see the offseason adjustments that are push us back over the top.
65tosspowertrap
do you have to have a premium membership to drop in a photo?
"Just keep matriculatin' the ball down the field boys!" — Hank Stram

https://youtu.be/MnPr1R_QlTM
nacluth
No you don't. But the picture has to be hosted from another site like postimage.org. Post the link and it will show it.
65tosspowertrap

Does this one show up? I have trouble with these danged interwebs sometimes
"Just keep matriculatin' the ball down the field boys!" — Hank Stram

https://youtu.be/MnPr1R_QlTM
nacluth
Got it.
SFASawmillGuy
On to the 2024 season. Lots of things to look at, lots of potential things that could happen in the coming weeks. Will we see staff changes? Everything is up for speculation at this point.

I think a full offseason as the undisputed QB1 will do wonders for Brian Maurer. He didn't have to compete a ton with Preston Weeks in the spring because Weeks was injured most of it but he still had that idea of looking over his shoulder. That's gone unless freshman Gavin Rutherford, who was highly touted coming out of Katy Cinco Ranch, is going to get a chance to compete. But I assume Brian Maurer is undisputed QB1, which will be good for his development going into his senior year.

New offensive line will be huge. We lose a ton of experience there but with the large number of injuries we had this year a lot of younger guys got a lot of meaningful snaps. That could prove huge for these guys moving forward.

The receiving corps, especially on the younger side, showed tremendous growth throughout the year. Harris is going to be the new WR1 for the Jacks and as a junior next year he will be the foundation for the next QB1 in 2025 to have immediate success.

The defense is full of young talent. We saw a lot of breakdowns late in the year, but in the first half of the season even the young guys looked elite. If we retain the defensive staff this defense will only get better having had a full year to grow in the new system.

We lose Quick, but keep Campos. Hopefully our kickoff game can improve. It would be easy to argue our kick coverage was the worst aspect of our team this year. But Campos should still remain a huge threat in our offense and can be a great mentor for the next SFA kicker to be good as well.

I believe in Carthel to right the ship. He's a great coach and more importantly he's great for the kids. He builds them up as people, not just players.
SFA Jack Fanatic
Thanks, SawmillGuy. I love your positive attitude. Fingers crossed that much of what you foresee comes true. I, too, have confidence in Carthel.

BTW, I hope Rutherford gets some meaningful snaps in the Spring and next Fall. He's a good one. (Assuming he doesn't transfer first.)
SFASawmillGuy
SFA Jack Fanatic said:

Thanks, SawmillGuy. I love your positive attitude. Fingers crossed that much of what you foresee comes true. I, too, have confidence in Carthel.

BTW, I hope Rutherford gets some meaningful snaps in the Spring and next Fall. He's a good one. (Assuming he doesn't transfer first.)

I've worked closely with SFA Athletics for some time and have a little insight onto what's going on. Just a little. This season had a ton of struggles a lot of people didn't know and probably won't know, but the team is good and the talent is good enough to rebound from this.

As far as Rutherford I'm sure Maurer will be the for sure starter. He's not a leader on the team, the team sees him as THE leader, which is invaluable. He had a lot more struggles this year than he or anyone wanted, but the talent is there. I hope a full spring will really help him get his accuracy consistency down, especially under pressure. Kind of has a Rick Vaughn from Major League arm. Sometimes it's a wild throw, but he probably had the strongest arm in the FCS. Just needs to work on setting his feet and stepping into his throws more. When he does he's as accurate as anyone.

I have no doubt the plan for Rutherford is to be the QB of the future for SFA and with Maurer being such a high motor scrambler who takes a lot of big hits, it wouldn't be outside the realm of possibilities to see him get a lot of looks with the 1s not as a starter, but in case he's needed next season.
SFASawmillGuy
SFAXE93
It's just amazing how the season started with such promise, with a solid showing at Troy against a 9-2 team that will be playing for a conference championship, then back to back games of domination against Alcorn State and Northwestern State, then on the verge of cracking the Top 25, up 20-7 on the UAC Champion Austin Peay late in the 3rd quarter, in front a 10K crowd at Homer Bryce, and you're starting to think the SFA defense is just going to dominate this conference and SFA is on its way up, for it only to go south so fast, into a free fall, where the Jacks just could not get it back on track.

Oh well onto 2024.

I bet the staff hits the portal strong for OL, LB, ST, and maybe even QB, it will all depend on who returns as there are aways players gone you though would return.

It will also be interesting to see if there is another big staff turnover.

There were only 7 football programs in the nation this season that kept their entire coaching staffs in intact.

We will Axe'on!
BigJack85
SFASawmillGuy said:

SFA Jack Fanatic said:

I've worked closely with SFA Athletics for some time and have a little insight onto what's going on. Just a little. This season had a ton of struggles a lot of people didn't know and probably won't know, but the team is good and the talent is good enough to rebound from this.

As far as Rutherford I'm sure Maurer will be the for sure starter. He's not a leader on the team, the team sees him as THE leader, which is invaluable. He had a lot more struggles this year than he or anyone wanted, but the talent is there. I hope a full spring will really help him get his accuracy consistency down, especially under pressure. Kind of has a Rick Vaughn from Major League arm. Sometimes it's a wild throw, but he probably had the strongest arm in the FCS. Just needs to work on setting his feet and stepping into his throws more. When he does he's as accurate as anyone.

I have no doubt the plan for Rutherford is to be the QB of the future for SFA and with Maurer being such a high motor scrambler who takes a lot of big hits, it wouldn't be outside the realm of possibilities to see him get a lot of looks with the 1s not as a starter, but in case he's needed next season.

Great info SawmillGuy. We need some optimism these days. We've taken some real "hits" this season. Onward thru the Fog

Axe 'Em Jacks -

TallTexan
I do think SFA needs to go get another QB in the transfer market.

Rutherford or Maurer may end up being THE guy, but we feel pretty thin on quality depth. Especially with the way Maurer plays.
TallTexan
Also think we need to tinker with the offensive staff some.

We can put up numbers but we also seem super predictable and have struggled putting games away for years.

I don't know if that's a full fledged new OC, moving folks around, or adding to the brain trust with some good up and comers.
TallTexan
Wanted to pull these stats before they added the playoff games. Will try to grab defensive stats in the morning.

SFA Offense

Total Offense Rank: 23rd 405 Yards Per Game
Scoring Offense Rank: 37th 29.3 Points Per Game
Yards per play rank: 47th 5.41 Yards per play
RZ Offense Rank: 68th .795 Red Zone Percentage
3rd Down Rank: 74th .363 Conversion Percentage
4th Down Rank: 33rd .581 Conversion Percentage, Tied for most attempts with 43
Completion % Rank: 83rd .564 Completion Percentage, 2nd most pass attempts
Passing Offense: 17th 264 Yards Per Game
Rushing Offense: 67th 141.8 Yards Per Game
Passing Efficiency: 88th 120 Passing Efficiency
Turnovers Lost: 103rd 22 Turnovers Lost

Just at a cursory glance, this offense puts up a lot of yards, but it struggles to finish once we get to the red zone. Also struggle mightily on 3rd down. And those turnovers are a killer.

We also run a lot of plays, we were top 5 on the year for number of plays ran.
TallTexan
Total Defense Rank: 88th 396 yard per game
Scoring Defense Rank: 98th 31.73 Points Per Game
Yards per play rank: 87th 6.1 Yards per play
RZ Defense Rank: 66th .814 Red Zone Percentage
3rd Down Rank: 69th .39 Conversion Percentage
4th Down Rank: 27th .444 Conversion Percentage
Completion % Rank: 83rd .564 Completion Percentage, 2nd most pass attempts
Passing Defense: 35th 192.5 Yards Per Game
Rushing Defense: 110th 203.6 Yards Per Game
Passing Efficiency: 88th 141 Passing Efficiency
Turnovers Gained: 37th 18 turnovers gained
Team Sacks Rank: 88th 1.55 per game

A quick glance: Defense performed worse than I thought statistically. Appears most of that is related to not being able to stop the run.Ranking 88th in sacks also hurts. It looks like we're just not able to get and maintain pressure.

With our recruiting levels at the Dline position, feels like we should be better in both aspects.

Two potential silver linings here. One, defenses tend to get better with multiple years under the same coordinator. You switch offenses and a dude runs the wrong route, there's still a DB following him. You switch defenses and a dude gets the coverage wrong, that's a wide open TD. Two, Powers & the other SFA/LA Tech coaches are available if we have any open positions to backfill.

Our friends over at Peay had a similar total defensive rank, but faired better in the points allowed per game department, with 24 ppg. If SFA had that kind of improvement on points allowed, we're probably atleast 6-5.So we might not be as far off as this bad of a season suggests.
TallTexan
One more offensive stat. We're tied for 24th on fumbles lost, but 88th on interceptions thrown. A lot of our stats point to improved consistent QB play being key to turning this around, but that one stood out.
SFASawmillGuy
Our offense wasn't bad, just couldn't finish, meaning we could never maintain momentum. Part of that was the offensive playcalling. Part of that was going for it on 4th in a lot of field goal situations.

I stand by my statement that our defense was actually pretty good, but if you can't maintain momentum or keep scoring the defense will inevitably break out of fatigue. Remember the JC Harper defenses that were the worst in the FCS, then suddenly a top 25 defense in the first year with Clint Conque? That wasn't Conque's recruiting. It was a consistent offense. Harper's defenses could usually keep the game close in the first half but by the second half teams had run so many plays on us or had so many turnovers our defense would be absolutely gassed by the third quarter and we would allow a ton of yards and points.

At this point our best defense will be a good offense, and a good offense is more than yards. I think Maurer has the potential to be great, and he has a TON of offensive weapons with great receivers and great RBs. But we just need a game plan to put it together and consistently put together good drives.

Again, I love Carthel as our coach and want him to be our guy. Storm has not done a great job leading the offense though. He has a great playbook actually. Lots of creative plays and a really good downfield passing scheme, but he has a hard time of knowing when to use his schemes in a game it seems.

For the example, Maurer was noticeably better as a passer in straight drop back plays instead of RPOs, but we really didn't use them that often. Our rushing attack was usually telegraphed based on the down too and we rarely used counters or trap plays, which worked when we used them.

I would like to see either Storm sit down and really analyze the strengths of our offense or find an OC who will. But a draw on 1st down and a dive out of the shotgun on 3rd and long when we're driving is not it. Especially when it looks like Maurer was in a rhythm.
TallTexan
Ya I think my biggest gripe with Storm is it does seem to have a lot of predictability to his playcalling.

I'm not convinced the only solution we have is to throw him out, getting a run game coordinator or passing game coordinator to add to the braintrust might be enough.

But it may be time for a clean break.
TallTexan
Not to read too much into this, but was reading through SFA coaching staff backgrounds and while Storm is presently on the website, his bio page is empty.

At first I thought they might have been doing post season updates, but everyone else's bio is available.

Could just be an update in progress though.
SFAXE93
Coach Trice's picture is gone and info on his bio on the roster
TallTexan
SFAXE93 said:

Coach Trice's picture is gone and info on his bio on the roster

Good opportunity to snag one of our former LA Tech dudes.
TallTexan
Haven't heard any news on changes yet. Maybe waiting til after signing day?
TallTexan
Trice and Storm still doing a lot of SFA posting, so I'm guessing the website is just in the process of being updated.
SFASawmillGuy

Storm still visiting recruits, looks like he may be back.
TallTexan
We always have some attrition every season. I could see Carthel/Ivey saying "ok, maybe we add a position coach from the HS ranks who has called plays to supplement what we have".

I don't think Storm is a bad OC. I just don't think he's presently great.
SFAJack_76
SFASawmillGuy
SFAJack_76 said:

Well. There it is.
TallTexan
I'd be shocked if this isn't the current favorite.

https://utpbfalcons.com/sports/football/roster/coaches/ryan-lusby/690

UTPB has a top 5 offense in D2, and he worked with Carthel as WR coach to start his career.
SFASawmillGuy
TallTexan said:

I'd be shocked if this isn't the current favorite.

https://utpbfalcons.com/sports/football/roster/coaches/ryan-lusby/690

UTPB has a top 5 offense in D2, and he worked with Carthel as WR coach to start his career.

Would make sense. The offense schematically is also similar to Storm's so the learning curve wouldn't be too great like it was for our defense. Would be more in line to hit the ground running.

Some quick stats of the offense under coach Lusby.

-42 points per game.
-226 rushing yards per game
-249 passing yards per game
-31:47 avg time of possession.
-huge one is 49% on third down, 77% on 4th.
-Utilizes the QB heavily in the running game, QB had 30 passing touchdowns and 8 rushing touchdowns averaging almost 60 yards a game. Would work really well with Maurer.
Buckytaylor
Don't see Lusby. Just not ready. Utpb head man calls the offense just like he did at East central Oklahoma. My opinion only
TallTexan
Ah gotcha. I thought Lusby was calling it.
BigJack85
Northern Colorado added to the schedule.
TallTexan
No signing day posts on here?
SFASawmillGuy
Really good class. Some players who will make an immediate impact on both sides of the ball.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.