2024 SEASON

23,248 Views | 226 Replies | Last: 13 hrs ago by Jacks4460
TallTexan
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Who's got the 411 on potential OCs?
SFAJack_76
TallTexan said:

Colby Carthel.
ServiceJack88
SFAJack_76 said:

TallTexan said:

Colby Carthel.

Mic drop
TallTexan
SFAJack_76 said:

TallTexan said:

Colby Carthel.

Well tell him to create an account and give us some deets.
Jacks4460
Adam Austin
Stephen Lee
Ljacks&Longnecks
Both seem good candidates from what I am reading.
SFAXE93
Carthel would obviously gravitate toward Coach Lee, who is an Angelo State grad with stops at West Texas A&M and Abilene Christian and he is a west Texas guy.

on his coaching stops..
89-21-0 record in high school
254-66-0 record in college
TallTexan
Lee is also probably someone you could keep for multiple years even if we started to cook.

Austin would be a great way to get ahead while also taking a Tarleton asset though. But he might be a 1 year and done if a bigger program comes calling.
SFAJack_76
Kevin Bleil is the new OC at Pittsburgh State. Bill Bleil has followed his son to be the offensive line coach.
TallTexan
Seems like we're going to have a chance to revamp a lot of the offensive staff.
Jacks4460
Super happy for Kevin.. He deserves to be a play caller.. He is a great human being and we will miss his leadership off the field too.. It's good tho when your assistants go on to better themselves.. I can't think of any of coaches on the original staff that are still here.. They all went to better jobs.. We don't know where Coach Matt ends up.. If Carthel lands the OC I am thinking we will have a whole new look to offense..I am confident enough to say he will help shut up all the naysayers..
TallTexan
I wonder if Clarence McKinney, the former TSU Head Coach, could be an option for us as OC. Despite the record, looks like his offenses were pretty good. Learned from the Sumlin/Holgerson/Kingsbury tree.

I'll be honest though, one of the biggest challenges we're gonna face is pay. Looks like Storm made around 85k. UCA and WCU paid 95k and 115k respectively when I checked a few months ago.

UIW has had success going out and getting up and comers, like Conner McQueen. Wonder what they pay.

SFAXE93
I think this is all that is remaining of the original staff.

QUARTERBACKS - JARED MAY (6TH YEAR)
SPECIAL TEAMS - NIK NELSON (6TH YEAR)
DIRECTOR OF SPORTS PERFORMANCE - JOSH STONER (6TH YEAR)
BigJack85
TallTexan said:

I wonder if Clarence McKinney, the former TSU Head Coach, could be an option for us as OC. Despite the record, looks like his offenses were pretty good. Learned from the Sumlin/Holgerson/Kingsbury tree.

I'll be honest though, one of the biggest challenges we're gonna face is pay. Looks like Storm made around 85k. UCA and WCU paid 95k and 115k respectively when I checked a few months ago.

UIW has had success going out and getting up and comers, like Conner McQueen. Wonder what they pay.

With what they've done , with basketball staff, seems like we would have money to get an offensive coordinator $100k.
SFASawmillGuy
I feel like Storm might have been slightly discounted because he's been with Carthel so long. I'm sure we didn't need to pay him as much to keep him, not that we couldn't.
SFASawmillGuy
Looks like our 12 game schedule is tentatively set, but I think our game against Montana State might be changed. Ryan Ivey told me we would have 6 home and 6 away games, and we just signed with Northern Colorado for a Home-Home, so I would assume Montana State is the only game we can flex off our schedule for another home game.

I'm just hoping we don't have to replace it with a D2 game.
TallTexan
Today would be a good day to announce a new OC.

Mostly bc I have to work and am bored.
ServiceJack88
SFAJack_76
TallTexan
Nice! Can't wait to see the new offense.
BigJack85
Solid resume! Axe ' Em Jacks
SFAXE93
Solid hire, hasn't been on a losing team since 2004.

Coach Ross has great connections and relationships through the Texas High Schools, which of course is what Carthel wants.

CHRIS ROSS

2024 - STEPHEN F. AUSTIN STATE (Offensive Coordinator)
2023 - LOVEJOY HIGH (Head Coach) 12-2; 7-0 District Champions; Quarterfinals
2022 - LOVEJOY HIGH (Head Coach) 8-4; 6-1 Area
2021 - LOVEJOY HIGH (Head Coach) 12-2; 7-1 District Champions; Quarterfinals
2020 - LOVEJOY HIGH (Head Coach) 13-1; 8-0 District Champions; Quarterfinals
2019 - RED OAK HIGH (Head Coach) 11-2; 7-0 District Champions; Regionals
2018 - RED OAK HIGH (Head Coach) 9-2; 6-1 Bi-District
2017 - BOISE STATE (Dir. of Program Development) 11-3; 7-1; Conference/Bowl Champions
2016 - BOISE STATE (Dir. of Program Development) 10-3; 6-2; Bowl Game
2015 - PROSPER HIGH 6-5; 4-3 Bi-District
2014 - LEANDER ISD (Athletic Director)
2013 - LEANDER ISD (Athletic Director)
2012 - LEANDER ISD (Athletic Director)
2011 - CEDAR PARK HIGH (Head Coach) 11-3-1; 5-1 Quarterfinals
2010 - CEDAR PARK HIGH (Head Coach) 14-1; 6-0 District Champions; Quarterfinals
2009 - CEDAR PARK HIGH (Head Coach) 7-4; 6-1 District Champions; Bi-District
2008 - CEDAR PARK HIGH (Head Coach) 6-5; 4-3 Bi-District
2007 - CEDAR PARK HIGH (Head Coach) 6-4; 3-4
2006 - CEDAR PARK HIGH (Head Coach) 9-3; 5-2 Area
2005 - CEDAR PARK HIGH (Head Coach) 5-5; 3-4
2004 - WICHITA FALLS HIGH (Head Coach) 4-6; 2-3
2003 - WICHITA FALLS HIGH (Head Coach) ?
2002 - WICHITA FALLS HIGH (Head Coach) ?
2001 - WICHITA FALLS HIGH (Head Coach) ?
SFASawmillGuy
Very good hire for the Jacks! Dude has done nothing but win throughout his entire career, and will give us a huge boost in recruiting the DFW area. Glad to see we got it done so quickly.
MasterAxe
First time he throws a WR slip screen on 3rd and 4 my head my explode lol
SFAJack_76
SFAXE93
Ross said the Lumberjacks offense will play with a lot of tempo.

"We'll run the ball. We'll use a lot of different people on the field. We'll use multiple formations, multiple personnel groups. It's a player-friendly offense. I believe in players over plays."

"We'll have flexibility in what we do but we're going to throw the ball. The ball will be in the air a lot. We'll be a physical football team. We'll be able to run it but we're going to play with a lot of pace, a lot of tempo, and we're going to spin that ball."
TallTexan
SFAXE93 said:

Ross said the Lumberjacks offense will play with a lot of tempo.

"We'll run the ball. We'll use a lot of different people on the field. We'll use multiple formations, multiple personnel groups. It's a player-friendly offense. I believe in players over plays."

"We'll have flexibility in what we do but we're going to throw the ball. The ball will be in the air a lot. We'll be a physical football team. We'll be able to run it but we're going to play with a lot of pace, a lot of tempo, and we're going to spin that ball."

He didn't mention the touchdown play, we're doomed!
SFASawmillGuy
Gonna need to make sure we have depth on defense. Up tempo offenses generally mean drives will be much faster, so the defense will be on the field much more. The JC Harper teams struggled defensively after halftime because of it.

I have faith Carthel will have us ready though.
AxeEm99
I am optimistic by the new OC's statements. Hopefully he can deliver.
I have thought many times about the Wildkat offense Sam Houston ran so well for a few years that rotated lots of players in and out and confused many defenses... It would be nice to see some of that type of offense bring consistent W's on Saturday's!
SFASawmillGuy
SFAXE93

WR BLAINE GREEN 6-1; 220 Allen, Texas (Allen/Oklahoma State) *** #67 WR; #63 Texas (Rivals) (2021)
Offers from Oklahoma State, Texas, Auburn, Baylor, Colorado, Kansas, Michigan State, Minnesota, Miss. State, Nebraska, North Carolina, Ole Miss, TCU, Texas Tech, Utah, Virginia Tech, Washington, Washington State, Duke, Liberty, Texas State, Illinois State

GP:20;REC:34;YDS:518;AVG:15;TD:1

2021 Honorable Mention Big 12 Offensive Freshman of the Year (Coaches)

Talented prospect who arrived as a receiver and played both receiver and tight end as a true freshman ... Missed all of 2022 due to injury.

2022: Redshirt ... Missed the season due to injury and did not see any playing time.

2021 (Freshman): Played in 10 games as a true freshman and made at least one catch in every game he played ... An honorable mention for Big 12 Offensive Freshman of the Year ... Made his first start at TTU and started again in the Big 12 Championship game ... Scored his first career touchdown on a season-long 46-yard catch against TCU that marked the longest catch for any OSU wide receiver on the year and was second only to a 52-yard catch from running back Jaylen Warren ... His 314 receiving yards for the year were the third-most on the team, the most among OSU freshmen and the fourth-most among all Big 12 freshmen ... His 21 catches were the fifth-most on the team ... Set season highs with five catches against Oklahoma and 80 receiving yards against TCU ... Had five games with at least 40 receiving yards ... Enrolled early in the spring of 2021.

High School: Played for coach Terry Gambill at Allen … Assisted his team in capturing a perfect regular season in his senior year and a No. 11 ranking nationally by MaxPreps before the Class 6A playoffs … His team finished 2020 with a 10-1 overall record and reached the third round of the playoffs ... Totaled more than 600 receiving yards in his senior year … Helped lead the Eagles to an 11-1 record and a Texas 6A-I second-round playoff appearance as a junior … Secured 55 receptions and 1,063 yards in 2019 in addition to hauling in nine touchdown receptions … Earned first-team all-district honors and was an all-state honorable mention as a junior … A member of the 2018 Allen team that finished as MaxPreps' No. 8 team in the nation after a 14-1 season and trip to the Class 6A-I state semifinals … Also played basketball for the Eagles … Received all-district academic honors and was a member of PALs and Wings Leadership at Allen … Rated as a three-star prospect by 247Sports and Rivals and a four-star prospect by ESPN … The 247Sports composite rankings tab him the No. 68 wide receiver in the nation and the No. 64 player in the state of Texas ... ESPN ranks him as the No. 54 wide receiver in the 2021 class … Chose Oklahoma State over offers from Auburn, Baylor, Michigan State, Minnesota, Mississippi State, Texas Tech and others.

Personal: Son of Bryan and Teresa Green … Father, Bryan, played football at Minnesota where his brother, Seth, is playing as a wide receiver ... Twin brother, Bryson, plays for Wisconsin ... Zoology major.

SFAXE93

WR: MARLON CROCKETT 6-4; 211 Searcy, Arkansas (Cabot/Memphis/Arkansas) *** #15 Arkansas (2021)
Offers from Memphis, Arkansas State, Kansas, Louisiana-Monroe, UMass, Southern Miss.

Transfers to SFA

At Memphis

2022 (REDSHIRT FRESHMAN):
Appeared in one game for the Tigers against North Alabama but did not record any stats.

2021 (FRESHMAN): Redshirted during his first season at Memphis.

HIGH SCHOOL: Former three-star athlete helped lead Searcy (Ark.) HS to the 6A state title in 2019 before transferring to Cabot HS for his senior season … Played at Gregory-Porter (Texas) HS in Portland, Texas prior to moving to Arkansas … Named the 5A South Texas Newcomer of the Year in 2018.

PERSONAL: He is the son of Nathan Crockett and Tyhesha Fleming.

SFASawmillGuy
Carthel and Ross loading up on playmakers.
SFA Jack Fanatic
Two receivers with nice size. Both appear to have multiple years of eligibility left.
SFAJack_76

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.