New Head Coach search.

132,664 Views | 457 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by corleycl
jacknation23
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Breaking: Sources tell #HawgSports that Arkansas assistant Jeff Traylor has withdrawn his name from the #SFA job opening and will return to the Hogs.
TallTexan
SFAJack_76 said:

Carthel has some baggage. Will our administration want that considering our last football hire had baggage, although of a different type?
I see Carthel's NCAA situation as two rights and one wrong, although he likely gets the one game suspension either way.

In a nutshell, what he provided $300 bucks to a student athlete for emergency childcare expenses and didn't get paid back. In another, he helped pay $400 for a student athlete's rent and the student later paid him back. In essence, he did the right thing, although by NCAA rules, sometimes the right thing is the wrong thing.

My biggest qualm is that when asked about it by NCAA investigators, he provided false or misleading information. Then again, they don't provide any specifics on how he mislead them. So yes, he should have admitted to taking care of his players when they needed it.

So, I'd basically just make sure he's upfront about not breaking the letter of the law anymore, and I'd have no issues hiring him.
TallTexan
MasterAxe said:

Jacks4460 said:

I have also followed Traylor on social media these last 3-4 years and last year during early signing period he was all over the twitter world building excitement for the upcoming early signing period and now this year nothing on his social media in regards to "hog hunting in bEASTtx" and other things he would say... I think he is our coach..
Bubble Burst...HawgSports just reported that Traylor has withdrawn from SFA consideration, will return to Arkansas. Bummer.
What kind of nonsense is this?

I hope that means we told him we were going in a different direction and he withdrew his name and not that we wanted to hire him and he turned us down.
jacknation23
TallTexan said:

MasterAxe said:

Jacks4460 said:

I have also followed Traylor on social media these last 3-4 years and last year during early signing period he was all over the twitter world building excitement for the upcoming early signing period and now this year nothing on his social media in regards to "hog hunting in bEASTtx" and other things he would say... I think he is our coach..
Bubble Burst...HawgSports just reported that Traylor has withdrawn from SFA consideration, will return to Arkansas. Bummer.

I hope that means we told him we were going in a different direction and he withdrew his name and not that we wanted to hire him and he turned us down.
I think they took too long in making a decision.
TallTexan
TallTexan
jacknation23 said:

TallTexan said:

MasterAxe said:

Jacks4460 said:

Maybe, but Ivey's had this hiring process planned for a while. Maybe they couldn't meet on money or something else, but just making a hiring decision, on a Friday before the process is planned to be wrapped up, doesn't seem like it'd be the real reason.
Jacks4460
TallTexan said:

Wow maybe if I come up with some other theory on who our coach is gonna be we can start eliminating them one by one... I really thought it was him... I was also told it was coming soon and we would probably find out about it on twitter or social media...
jacknation23
TallTexan said:

jacknation23 said:

TallTexan said:

MasterAxe said:

Jacks4460 said:

Maybe, but Ivey's had this hiring process planned for a while. Maybe they couldn't meet on money or something else, but just making a hiring decision, on a Friday before the process is planned to be wrapped up, doesn't seem like it'd be the real reason.
My thought process is, they had 4 months to put feelers out and figure out who they wanted. I understand those places were still playing and you have to wait on them to be done playing. Maybe we were all wanting Traylor so bad and he was the second choice. Who knows and its all speculation right now. I hope we hire someone that can win and recruit this area.
TallTexan
Jacks4460 said:

TallTexan said:

Wow maybe if I come up with some other theory on who our coach is gonna be we can start eliminating them one by one... I really thought it was him... I was also told it was coming soon and we would probably find out about it on twitter or social media...

So how does this superpower of yours work? Is it whoever you mention, we find something out about them? Or is it whoever you mention, we find out it's not them.

Because we need to know.
Jacks4460
whatever I mention we find out its not them...
TallTexan
jacknation23 said:

Maybe we were all wanting Traylor so bad and he was the second choice. Who knows and its all speculation right now. I hope we hire someone that can win and recruit this area.
That's kind of what I'm thinking. It's all speculation, but it would seem odd if Traylor was your first choice, and was interested, for him to suddenly jump out of the race without a big reason.

It sucks, because I was hoping he'd hire Traylor at this time last season, but I still think we're going to hire the right coach for SFA. Was really hoping it was Traylor though.
TallTexan
Jacks4460 said:

whatever I mention we find out its not them...
Gotcha. So now we've got to determine, very discreetly, who we want, and then have you mention everyone else.
Jacks4460
when I started thinking Traylor I was wondering who would step up and put extra $$$ in the hat...
jacknation23
Well it will in my opinion be Carthel, I believe Ivey wanted him from the get go. I also believe he hired him at Commerce so it will be a good fit.
TallTexan
I'm in a gambling mood, so I say we fly to Vegas and bet the entire endowment on Scotty Walden.
TallTexan
Jacks4460 said:

when I started thinking Traylor I was wondering who would step up and put extra $$$ in the hat...
I'm not sure what our athletic budget looks like, but an extra 100-150k for Traylor seems pretty low in the grand scheme of things. Like a minor marginal cost of getting a coach who brings amazing recruiting advantages with him.
jacknation23
Now we can save the money and give to basketball and the new upgrades there.
Jacks4460
TallTexan said:

Jacks4460 said:

I'm not sure what our athletic budget looks like, but an extra 100-150k for Traylor seems pretty low in the grand scheme of things. Like a minor marginal cost of getting a coach who brings amazing recruiting advantages with him.
Dude I am with you 100%...
Jacks4460
just checked flight tracker and nothing new... Scotty Walden was in East Texas yesterday recruiting... How about he becomes our new coach??
cboothe09
I think that is scaring off candidates...
TallTexan
cboothe09 said:

I think that is scaring off candidates...
I'd have to think Ivey has a solid plan for building a winning football program. If we're struggling to hire a coach like Traylor because of an extra $100k, then we're missing the forest for the trees. 100k is a drop in the bucket when we already spend 2.5 million(guesstimate) on football.

And so far as we know, only one candidate who interviewed has changed his mind.
TallTexan
Jacks4460 said:

just checked flight tracker and nothing new... Scotty Walden was in East Texas yesterday recruiting... How about he becomes our new coach??
I'd be all for this. We could likely get him for a song too for the first two or three years, he makes around 80k at Southern Miss.
cboothe09
I don't think the pay is as much the issue as the attention to basketball is. While I'm all for pumping money into that program, because it is currently the lifeblood of the athletic department, we need to be willing to spend elsewhere if necessary. I think a lot of coaches are afraid their budgets will be cut to build the basketball coffers.

None of this would be an issue if we could get an Athletic Fee passed...
SFAJack_76
People that think $100-150k a year plus bonus, from a seriously underfunded athletic budget, is not a big deal make me chuckle.
TallTexan
cboothe09 said:

I don't think the pay is as much the issue as the attention to basketball is. While I'm all for pumping money into that program, because it is currently the lifeblood of the athletic department, we need to be willing to spend elsewhere if necessary. I think a lot of coaches are afraid their budgets will be cut to build the basketball coffers.

None of this would be an issue if we could get an Athletic Fee passed...
I can see that, too an extent. However, I think Ivey's likely pitching a good vision of SFA. Being nationally relevant in one sport is more than most FCS school's can say.

And I'll be honest, we should be pouring money into being a basketball contender. Even if we hired Traylor or Nick Saban, there's definitely a ceiling for FCS visibility and success. With basketball, there's not a ceiling to being nationally relevant.

However, if I had to put money on it, I'd wager that either Traylor wasn't target number one, or that Arkansas offered a raise that was too hard to say no to. It's one thing to take a 50k paycut, it's another to take a 200k paycut. If he was target number 1, I'd bet that Ivey knew the buy in to get into the game from research he did during the season.

All that said, I still think we get an excellent coach.

TallTexan
SFAJack_76 said:

People that think $100-150k a year plus bonus, from a seriously underfunded athletic budget, is not a big deal make me chuckle.
Not saying it's no big deal, I'm saying it's just a small marginal cost of producing a winning football team. If you're already spending 2.5 million on a bad football team. Spending 2.6 million for a good one should be a no brainer.

I know we're fiscally constrained, but if we're that constrained as to not be able to hire the coach we think makes us a winner, we need to have a good long talk about the viability of the football program.
TallTexan
Like, the difference between the status quo, and a winning coach is literally a 1% budget increase in the AD department, which would likely be offset in ticket sales & donations year 1.
Jacks4460
SFAJack_76 said:

76 I don't have the type of coin to pitch in the extra 100-150K but I bet there are 3 or 4 alumni that could afford to put the extra 25-45K each into the Ath Dept (Football Team) so that we could get a coach that will put us on the level with NDSU or someone like that...
Jacks4460
Jacks4460 said:

SFAJack_76 said:

76 I don't have the type of coin to pitch in the extra 100-150K but I bet there are 3 or 4 alumni that could afford to put the extra 25-45K each into the Ath Dept (Football Team) so that we could get a coach that will put us on the level with NDSU or someone like that...
I would of done it had it not been for being divorced for the 2nd time.. its like your little nest egg gets cut in half and then that half gets cut in half when #2 happens.... sheesh only leaves a 1/4... I still believe Ryan will hire the right man... If 100-150K was keeping him from 100% committing to Traylor then that would really suck but who knows the real story maybe Traylor was just playing SFA up so that he could get a raise and had no intentions on leaving..
TallTexan
Jacks4460 said:

i would of done it had it not been for being divorced for the 2nd time.. its like your little nest egg gets cut in half and then that half gets cut in half when #2 happens.... sheesh only leaves a 1/4...
So what you're saying is that we should ask your first two wives to become varsity club members?
Jacks4460
TallTexan said:

Jacks4460 said:

i would of done it had it not been for being divorced for the 2nd time.. its like your little nest egg gets cut in half and then that half gets cut in half when #2 happens.... sheesh only leaves a 1/4...
So what you're saying is that we should ask your first two wives to become varsity club members?
yes sir #1 is an SFA alum she might do it...
RedRiverLa
SFAJack_76 said:

I was referring to the guy from Baton Rouge that played at Nicholls.
Yes, I meant he left Louisiana years ago, and no one in the state, outside of Nicholls and a few in the SLC could tell you who he is.
Lumberjack Battalion
Lumberjacks make great US Army Special Ops Officers - AxeEm!
RedRiverLa
SFAXE93 said:

RedRiverLa said:

TallTexan said:

sfajack05 said:

TallTexan said:

We don't believe in punting or field goals.

Saving that for when we all interview.

Please be sure to mention in the interveiw that, as a Sawmiller, I called both offensive and defensive plays for SFA when we won the 2016 National FBS Championship vs. LSU on XBOX 360 NCAA College Football '12.
I was at that game!
I thought I saw you! Weren't you the guy that made all the crowd stand up and cheer in the exact same up and down motion. I hope you weren't that guy running in place up against the back wall. No, nevermind, that was Les Miles.
Lumberjack Battalion
Lumberjacks make great US Army Special Ops Officers - AxeEm!
jacknation23
Jacks4460 said:

Jacks4460 said:

SFAJack_76 said:

I would of done it had it not been for being divorced for the 2nd time.. its like your little nest egg gets cut in half and then that half gets cut in half when #2 happens.... sheesh only leaves a 1/4... I still believe Ryan will hire the right man... If 100-150K was keeping him from 100% committing to Traylor then that would really suck but who knows the real story maybe Traylor was just playing SFA up so that he could get a raise and had no intentions on leaving..
I do not think this is the case. I think he really wanted to come back to Texas and run his own program. I mean the guy is EAST TEXAS. I believe he may have asked for facility upgrades and things we may not have been able to do. Or maybe he pulled out because he was going to finish #2 to Carthel.
SFA Jack Fanatic
TallTexan said:

Jacks4460 said:

Now, that's just plain funny right there!!!!! The Texan is definitely a deep thinker!

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.