New Head Coach search.

131,640 Views | 457 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by corleycl
TallTexan
How long do you want to ignore this user?
https://southernmiss.com/coaches.aspx?rc=293&path=football

Tim Billings is an interesting option mentioned above. Texas HS roots and college coaching experience on a very good Marshall team. His HC experience at the college level was less than superb at Southeast Mizzou.
TallTexan
Van Malone checks the NDSU box.

Ivey is casting a wide net and getting some highly experienced coaches in to talk with.

I'm not sure who we'll hire as HC, but it's definitely looking like we've hired the right AD.
SFAJack_76
I was referring to the guy from Baton Rouge that played at Nicholls.
sfajack05
SFA_03 said:

TallTexan said:

SFA_03 said:

What offense does he run?
I've never watched it in person, but it's spread to run.

This article covers it in great detail:
http://insidetexas.com/inside-the-gameplan-what-traylor-brings-to-ut/

When looking at the Gilmer stats from Traylor's time. They were averaging about 8 yards per carry, with nearly a 50/50 mix for Run/Pass total yardage.

"Quarterback McLane Carter was a worthy high school starter but the kid was hardly a D-1 talent and yet threw for 3969 yards with 47 touchdowns and two interceptions. How? Because Traylor manufactured easy ways for him to throw the ball to targets that included Kris Boyd and Blake Lynch."

Jake Blumrick for Walter Payton?

I like hearing this. It makes it to where you're not screwed if something happens to your superstar QB, you can still survive with a backup.
I got see a bunch of their games up close.

You had to defend against both the pass and run (not many teams had success).

Was at one game, it was Gus Johnson's jr. or sr. year (there was a SFA scout there), and they scored four times in less than four minutes of game time. Three passing and a long Johnson run.

People always praise Traylor for his offense but he also had some hard hitting, stout defenses.
TallTexan
Thanks for the in-person perspective 05. A high powered offense could win the SLC. It'll take a tough nosed defense to advance in the playoffs though.
TallTexan
I've heard a dark horse contender for the role has entered late in the process. Saw the cover letter myself.

Quote:

To the honorable Mr Ivey,

It is our distinct pleasure, as the SFA Sawmill Consortium, to apply for the open position of head coach of our beloved football team.

We have years of applicable experience, a can do attitude, and quiet a bit of brain power between our 73 members, give or take.

We will be happy to take our place on the sidelines on Saturdays next fall, where we'll operate the world's first democratically selected play calls.

We look forward to the opportunity to interview and hope you'll choose us on this ground breaking journey to an FCS championship.

Cheers,
The SFA Sawmill Consortium
sfajack05
TallTexan said:

I've heard a dark horse contender for the role has entered late in the process. Saw the cover letter myself.

Quote:

To the honorable Mr Ivey,

It is our distinct pleasure, as the SFA Sawmill Consortium, to apply for the open position of head coach of our beloved football team.

We have years of applicable experience, a can do attitude, and quiet a bit of brain power between our 73 members, give or take.

We will be happy to take our place on the sidelines on Saturdays next fall, where we'll operate the world's first democratically selected play calls.

We look forward to the opportunity to interview and hope you'll choose us on this ground breaking journey to an FCS championship.

Cheers,
The SFA Sawmill Consortium

We don't believe in punting or field goals.
TallTexan
sfajack05 said:

TallTexan said:

Saving that for when we all interview.
RedRiverLa
TallTexan said:

sfajack05 said:

TallTexan said:

Please be sure to mention in the interveiw that, as a Sawmiller, I called both offensive and defensive plays for SFA when we won the 2016 National FBS Championship vs. LSU on XBOX 360 NCAA College Football '12.
Lumberjack Battalion
Lumberjacks make great US Army Special Ops Officers - AxeEm!
SFAXE93
RedRiverLa said:

TallTexan said:

sfajack05 said:

TallTexan said:

Please be sure to mention in the interveiw that, as a Sawmiller, I called both offensive and defensive plays for SFA when we won the 2016 National FBS Championship vs. LSU on XBOX 360 NCAA College Football '12.
I was at that game!
HitSomeBody

I remember that game. What a game it was. You got my vote.
Axe'Em Jacks
TallTexan
RedRiverLa said:

TallTexan said:

sfajack05 said:

TallTexan said:

You can mention it yourself, we're all hopping on a conference call for the interview.

We'll be sending a good looking actor to the meeting in person so that Ivey gets a great image of us.

(Nacluth, for the 11th time, we're hiring somebody, being shirtless in the Guys of Guitar annual calendar doesn't make you a model).
SFA Jack Fanatic
Man, The Sawmill comedians are all on stage today and on top of their games!
nacluth
TallTexan said:

(Nacluth, for the 11th time, we're hiring somebody, being shirtless in the Guys of Guitar annual calendar doesn't make you a model).
That hurts. What if I'm wearing the purple fire jacket and at the right time rip it off Marky Mark and the Funky Bunch style?
TallTexan
nacluth said:

TallTexan said:

That hurts. What if I'm wearing the purple fire jacket and at the right time rip it off Marky Mark and the Funky Bunch style?
I think Ryan Ivey will call his agent and start reapplying for jobs.

But maybe Ed can make some calls & hook you up with an entertainer gig on one of the cruise lines.
TallTexan
So.... this should be wrapping up soon right?
Jacks4460
TallTexan said:

Today
TallTexan
Jacks4460 said:

TallTexan said:

Today
Best news I've heard all day.
TallTexan
Flights in from Grenville, MS and Nashville yesterday. Which to my knowledge, are not near any of our candidates lol.
TallTexan
So this is kind of complicated, but semi-pertinent to our search.

Charlotte fired their head coach. Made an offer to JMU's head coach, who's still in the playoffs and it was assumed he'd accept.

Hearing that Charlotte was after JMU's head coach, East Carolina fired their head coach to jump into the race for him. This has made Charlotte offer contingency offers for their position, one of which is speculated to be Will Healy.

ECU is a 1.1 million job, Charlotte is 650k. So all this to say even though we've been hearing different names for SFA, Healy is likely a non option in our search.
Jacks4460
TallTexan said:

Jacks4460 said:

TallTexan said:

Today
I hope... LOL... Thats what I was told a few days ago but you know how coaching changes happen this time of year...
TallTexan
Jacks4460 said:

TallTexan said:

Jacks4460 said:

TallTexan said:

Today
I hope... LOL... Thats what I was told a few days ago but you know how coaching changes happen this time of year...
Yep, so many factors at play. But so far, a lot of our candidates remain available.
Jacks4460
TallTexan said:

Jacks4460 said:

TallTexan said:

Jacks4460 said:

TallTexan said:

Today
Yep, so many factors at play. But so far, a lot of our candidates remain available.
See a plane coming in from Memphis @ 2:00pm... Ryan has some Memphis ties... thats where he played football...
TallTexan
Jacks4460 said:

TallTexan said:

Jacks4460 said:

TallTexan said:

Jacks4460 said:

TallTexan said:

Today
See a plane coming in from Memphis @ 2:00pm... Ryan has some Memphis ties... thats where he played football...
Well it's not Texas as hell, but Will Hall coaches at Memphis. Supposed to be a great program builder.

Also, I seem to remember a few notable people who went from Tennessee to Texas with great success.
Jacks4460
sorry that was a departure not arrival... nothing new coming in or leaving...just checked flight tracker..
cboothe09
I wanna say Traylor was in east Texas recruiting already for Arkansas, so may night see a flight for him...
TallTexan
cboothe09 said:

I wanna say Traylor was in east Texas recruiting already for Arkansas, so may night see a flight for him...
Ok, we need someone to get a visual on Traylor, stat. Operation Overlord is in effect, I repeat, operation Overlord is in effect.
SFAJack_76
cboothe09 said:

He has been recruiting in east Texas.
Jacks4460
SFAJack_76 said:

cboothe09 said:

He has been recruiting in east Texas.
Yes he has been in East Texas... and has not shouted out to any kids via social media.. Only happy to see coaches in East Texas... Which means he is putting his staff together... I don't know just sayin..
Jacks4460
thus "Texas Hell"... I bet Barbay stays onboard if Jeff is named our coach... Much respect for the families of both..
TallTexan
Jacks4460 said:

thus "Texas Hell"... I bet Barbay stays onboard if Jeff is named our coach... Much respect for the families of both..
For the names I've heard mentioned, I think my ranking would be Traylor, Walden, Carthel, in that order.

Carthel is the safe hire in my opinion. With Traylor and Walden, Ivey is stepping up to the plate and swinging for the fences. Those two are super exciting hires IMO.
TallTexan
That's nothing against Carthel, he's obviously an excellent coach and candidate. I just think Traylor and Walden both let Ivey hire an excellent coach who can also excite the donors & fanbase for selling Ivey's larger vision.
SFAJack_76
Carthel has some baggage. Will our administration want that considering our last football hire had baggage, although of a different type?
Jacks4460
I have also followed Traylor on social media these last 3-4 years and last year during early signing period he was all over the twitter world building excitement for the upcoming early signing period and now this year nothing on his social media in regards to "hog hunting in bEASTtx" and other things he would say... I think he is our coach..
MasterAxe
Jacks4460 said:

I have also followed Traylor on social media these last 3-4 years and last year during early signing period he was all over the twitter world building excitement for the upcoming early signing period and now this year nothing on his social media in regards to "hog hunting in bEASTtx" and other things he would say... I think he is our coach..
Bubble Burst...HawgSports just reported that Traylor has withdrawn from SFA consideration, will return to Arkansas. Bummer.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.