New Head Coach search.

130,065 Views | 457 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by corleycl
TallTexan
How long do you want to ignore this user?
MasterAxe said:

I want this.

https://sports.yahoo.com/12-year-old-meet-countrys-unconventional-young-coach-212251713.html

Do it again Ryan Ivey!
Dang, now I want to hire Healy too.

Also this:

"He wanted the state of Tennessee on the logo so people stopped asking if the school, which is in Clarksville, Tennessee, was in the Texas capital."

It appears we're not the only one with that challenge.
SFAJack_76
MasterAxe said:

I want this.

https://sports.yahoo.com/12-year-old-meet-countrys-unconventional-young-coach-212251713.html

Do it again Ryan Ivey!
With or without Healy being a candidate for the SFA job, reading about the changes in commitment to facilities and staff under the leadership of Ryan Ivey is confirming what many of us think about what he can accomplish in Nacogdoches. For example, Austin Peay S&C staff was increased from three to eleven. With the recent addition of a men's bb S&C, the SFA staff just got to three.

I do not believe that Ivey would be at SFA if he did not fully expect to get the kind of support he got at Austin Peay. Exciting times boys and girls. Exciting times.
SFASawmillGuy
I think Ryan Ivey was brought in specifically to make football as competitive as our other sports. That's what he does. He builds football programs. I'm all in for whatever he wants to do.
TallTexan
SFA_03 said:

I think Ryan Ivey was brought in specifically to make football as competitive as our other sports. That's what he does. He builds football programs. I'm all in for whatever he wants to do.
Agreed, I think we're in good hands for fixing the football problems with Ivey, whether that's keeping Byrd or going a new direction after the season.
TallTexan
How the heck did UIW hire the Tech OC as their head coach?
TallTexan
Also, one option to consider if we made Byrd full time HC is that Bob Stitt is stashed on the Okie State staff as an offensive analyst.

Might even be an option for HC with Byrd as DC.
AxeEm99
I think the Tarleton head coach would be a great fit for us. He has had major success there and is undefeated so far this year!
BigJack85
Randy. I think Whitten is a NO GO politically. Of course he has SFA ties and is a great coach but I've heard he burned some bridges. Don't know just rumors but I've advocated him before and have been told there's bad blood. Might be our only option if Carthel gets a better offer.
Axe 'Em Jacks - Class of 85'
TallTexan
I think we'll have plenty of options,but it's important to look at Ivey's hiring style.

He's hired young up and comers from winning programs for football. Healy was a wr coach I believe.

I think the Troy OC would be a steal of a lifetime.
SFAXE93

Troy OC/OL Coach - Matt Moore (Valdosta 1994)

1999 - 2005: Hoover High (Ala.) (OC/OL Coach) 3 straight 6A State Titles 77-7 record
2006 - Troy: 8-5; New Orleans Bowl Victory
2007 - 2011: Texas Tech (OL Coach/OC 2 season) Lead the country in fewest sacks allowed 2007, 2008; Over 8 wins a season and 4 bowl games (3 victories) during this period.
2012: Middle Tenn. State (OL Coach) (2nd in the nation in fewest sacks allowed his first season)
2013 - 2014: Louisiana Tech (OL Coach/Assistant Head Coach) (2nd season Tech won the Conf. USA West Title and Bowl Game)

2015 - 2018: Troy (OL/OC Coach)
2016 10-3 (Best win-improvement in the country; Bowl Victory; First Top 25 Ranking in school history; lead the nation in fewest sacks allowed; 8 all season)
2017 Sun Belt Champions 11-2 Record; Bowl victory over #22 LSU; 12th in the nation in fewest sacks allowed; 3 straight seasons with 1,000 yard rushers; 2016 Frank Broyles Award Nominee
2018 5-1
"History has no rubbish heap." Louis Blake Duff
BigJack85
I would have one other request regarding scheduling.... if we grab a new coach let's suspend the "Body Bag" games for a season or two. Let's schedule a couple of true cup cakes. For us that means bottom feeder D2 squads like East Central Oklahoma etc. a few wins might help this team get some confidence. That's one of the things I witnessed at NRG. As soon as Foster through that pick 6 it was like the air went out of the balloon..... We go into a game with a 3-1 record,,,, even if a win or two is against some substandard competition I believe there will be BELIEF. Belief we can compete. Belief we can win.

Danny's Formula in MBB was criticized (it included many cupcakes) back then we could schedule games against top tier competition.

Over time it delivered a solid foundation. I believe that needs to be part of our return to prominence in football.
Axe 'Em Jacks - Class of 85'
TallTexan
SFAXE93 said:

I believe the last salary I saw for him was around 175-200k.
SFASawmillGuy
SFAXE93 said:

1999 - 2005: Hoover High (Ala.) (OC/OL Coach) 3 straight 6A State Titles 77-7 record
2006 - Troy: 8-5; New Orleans Bowl Victory
2007 - 2011: Texas Tech (OL Coach/OC 2 season) Lead the country in fewest sacks allowed 2007, 2008; Over 8 wins a season and 4 bowl games (3 victories) during this period.
2012: Middle Tenn. State (OL Coach) (2nd in the nation in fewest sacks allowed his first season)
2013 - 2014: Louisiana Tech (OL Coach/Assistant Head Coach) (2nd season Tech won the Conf. USA West Title and Bowl Game)

2015 - 2018: Troy (OL/OC Coach)
2016 10-3 (Best win-improvement in the country; Bowl Victory; First Top 25 Ranking in school history; lead the nation in fewest sacks allowed; 8 all season)
2017 Sun Belt Champions 11-2 Record; Bowl victory over #22 LSU; 12th in the nation in fewest sacks allowed; 3 straight seasons with 1,000 yard rushers; 2016 Frank Broyles Award Nominee
2018 5-1

The lack of head coaching experience really bothers me. Even at Hoover High he was just the OC, not the HC.

As far as the money game, I wouldn't be opposed to doing away with it for a year, but I see it's importance to an FCS program. I also do not like the idea at all of us playing D2 games at all, much less scheduling multiple ones in a season. I think scheduling other FCS programs, even cupcake FCS teams, would be much more valuable to us going into NRG with confidence.
drhuggybear
I put some of this in the SHSU game thread but thought I should add it here as it applies to the head coaching position.

No way he should get the job after this weekend. I have been to a couple games but haven't really watched Byrd on the sidelines all that much. But at NRG, I kept finding myself looking at him for his reactions when things went well and when things didn't go as planned. He seems to be even keeled but what shocked me the most is what he did when the offense was on the field. More often than not, when the offense was on the field he would just wander up and down the sidelines. He didn't seem to be engaged at all. I know he is a defensive guy and the offensive coordinator is calling all of the plays but it just looked like he was elsewhere mentally. I should have taken a picture but blanked. At one point, SFA has the ball and is on the Sam end of the field - about the 40. The team is all on that end of the field. I look over and Byrd is off by himself around the SFA 35-40 with his back to the offense. There were a couple players at that end but he wasn't talking to them or coaching them. He was just pacing back and forth. It stood out to me because it was just so ... odd. To be so removed from everything.

It was just very odd. I had hopes. He sounded like he had the right attitude at the beginning of the season but ...
Jeff
Axe'Em Jacks
Jacks4460
I sure hope Ryan looks at Kevin Atkinson the HC at Flower Mound Marcus. Excellent leader,SFA grad and Letterman, very well respected in the THSCA, under 50 yrs old, energy, Christian, knows how to win. He will be able to motivate these young men that is for sure.. He will lock down East Texas recruiting just like Traylor would..He is an Offensive mind and has been an HC in the DFW metroplex for 20 years.
SFAJack_76
I don't know who will be on the list, but Everett Withers sure won't be. 5-24 record at Texas State. It could be worse.

TallTexan
Tx State interviewed Traylor and didn't hire him. They should have called Keeler.
TallTexan
Interesting article on top FCS teams and where they got their most recent coaches. Chattanooga went the D3 route.

https://www.ncaa.com/news/football/article/2017-07-18/fcs-football-most-notable-coaching-hires-offseason
TallTexan
Great article with insight into Ivey's hiring process.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/why-the-best-young-coach-in-college-football-may-be-this-man-and-not-scott-frost/
djsfw57
I'm just wondering what his being Christian has to do with his coaching abilities. Not trying to be combative, just wondering how that fits in.
Jacks4460
djsfw57 said:

I'm just wondering what his being Christian has to do with his coaching abilities. Not trying to be combative, just wondering how that fits in.
Its big to me and I am sure it is big to some families who allow their kid to come play for a coach that is a Christian rather than one that isn't..Being a coach is more than X's and O's... Gotta have the players wanting to run through a wall and believe in your processes and I would feel if a coach is open about being a Christian than that would help..

drhuggybear
djsfw57 said:

I think it's more a morality thing than anything. Parents want to know that when they give their kids to a coach that they are going to be in an environment that teaches morals as well as X's and O's. Because let's be honest, the chances of any child playing football past college is very slim. So when they are done are they a well rounded member of society or do they look at people as steps on a ladder.

I know this is an extreme example - would you rather have a Briles or a Byrd teaching your son morals. When kids leave for school they are on their own for the first time. They are going to be making decisions for themselves for the first time. Do you want someone covering up bad decisions or holding them accountable for their choices.
Jeff
Axe'Em Jacks
Jacks4460
drhuggybear said:

djsfw57 said:

I think it's more a morality thing than anything. Parents want to know that when they give their kids to a coach that they are going to be in an environment that teaches morals as well as X's and O's. Because let's be honest, the chances of any child playing football past college is very slim. So when they are done are they a well rounded member of society or do they look at people as steps on a ladder.

I know this is an extreme example - would you rather have a Briles or a Byrd teaching your son morals. When kids leave for school they are on their own for the first time. They are going to be making decisions for themselves for the first time. Do you want someone covering up bad decisions or holding them accountable for their choices.
Good explanation drhuggybear...Thats what I was trying to say...
AxeEm99
SFAJack_76, I seriously cannot wait until SH goes FBS! Reality Check! I also read about Colby Carthel. He already has a relationship with Ivey, and that's a great thing! He can walk right in and assume the position in January and start recruiting... I do think it will not be long before larger FBS schools come knocking on the door if he wins at SFA, like they did with Underwood in Basketball, and Fritz at Sam Houston!
SFAJack_76
randybass said:

SFAJack_76, I seriously cannot wait until SH goes FBS! Reality Check!
Yep. See Texas State.
Pilotgirl
drhuggybear said:

djsfw57 said:

One does not have to be a Christian to have high morals/character or instill that in others. Being Christian doesn't guarentee the other, either. It's important to realiza that not all students may be Christian either. There are many religions/beliefs and it is respectful to acknowledge that fact , especially coming from someone in authority, such as a Coach. They aren't there to preach; but values and moral character...sportsmanship? HECK YES.
Jacks4460
Not getting into any religious debate on subject... Believe what you want all I can say is that I would feel more comfortable sending my son/daughter to a school where the coach was a Christian...
SFASawmillGuy
SHSU has less of a chance of going to the FBS than we do. First of all, all of our other sports are much more valuable than theirs, and secondly, even without us having success in football our team does so much better attendance wise. Some of the teams that make the jump and get invites get invited because of the fit. And SHSU doesn't fit in one of those conferences.
Pilotgirl
I'm not here to debate it either. Just stating facts. There are a wide variety. Also, facts: at public institutions (public schools, public universities) religious beliefs cannot be imposed on students. At a private, faith-based university (think Baylor, ACU, etc) that is part of the University program. At public, that (along with gender, disability, culture, etc) cannot be used against you during hiring process i.e. discrimination

Again, no argument or offense taken just that there are legal ramifications and federal guidelines to adhere to as well. That goes for ANY job at a public institution.
djsfw57
I don't want anyone with poor morals to be involved. But one can have outstanding moral values and not be a Christian. My brother is a rabbi and has impeccable morals. It's not limited to Christians. Just my take.
TallTexan
Something to keep in mind, the assistants we hire are probably as important as the HC. That's one of the things that has been pointed out in Austin Peay's turnaround.

We need a staff that's as fired up and capable as whoever our new HC is.
SFASawmillGuy
TallTexan said:

Something to keep in mind, the assistants we hire are probably as important as the HC. That's one of the things that has been pointed out in Austin Peay's turnaround.

I wonder if Jeremy Moses will be allowed to stay on. He's a great guy and the literal GOAT at SFA, but he seems so much like he's just here because of his legacy, and not his coaching ability.
drhuggybear
djsfw57 said:

I don't want anyone with poor morals to be involved. But one can have outstanding moral values and not be a Christian. My brother is a rabbi and has impeccable morals. It's not limited to Christians. Just my take.
I wasn't trying to say that Christians are the only ones with morals. I was replying to
djsfw57 said:

That said, I agree, morality isn't limited to Christianity. It's just a baseline that most people understand.
Jeff
Axe'Em Jacks
TallTexan
SFA_03 said:

TallTexan said:

I wonder if Jeremy Moses will be allowed to stay on. He's a great guy and the literal GOAT at SFA, but he seems so much like he's just here because of his legacy, and not his coaching ability.

It's a good question whether or not anyone will be retained. I haven't personally heard anything about whether or not he's a good coach or just a legacy.
Pilotgirl
drhuggybear said:

djsfw57 said:

I wasn't trying to say that Christians are the only ones with morals. I was replying to
djsfw57 said:

That said, I agree, morality isn't limited to Christianity. It's just a baseline that most people understand.

I gotcha. And onward....go Lumberjacks!

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.