New Head Coach search.

131,584 Views | 457 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by corleycl
Jacks4460
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Texan is way deep
Interesting
Been reading this forum for a long time and finally have something to post. My son told me he saw where Traylor was asking for 400K (?) but he was also asking for a commitment to the program, I believe he saw the posts about it on Orangebloods ( not a subscriber so can't confirm it ). As we all know there are HS recruits being brought in that probably have better and newer facilities in HS then what they are seeing here. In getting players here in this day and time it's not all about the coaches, they want the "wow" factor in the facilities as well. Just my opinion.
AxeEm99
Does anyone know what the buyout is for Carthel's contract at A&M Commerce? Can we afford it and will the admin pay it?
TallTexan
jacknation23 said:

Jacks4460 said:

Jacks4460 said:

SFAJack_76 said:

People that think $100-150k a year plus bonus, from a seriously underfunded athletic budget, is not a big deal make me chuckle.
76 I don't have the type of coin to pitch in the extra 100-150K but I bet there are 3 or 4 alumni that could afford to put the extra 25-45K each into the Ath Dept (Football Team) so that we could get a coach that will put us on the level with NDSU or someone like that...
I would of done it had it not been for being divorced for the 2nd time.. its like your little nest egg gets cut in half and then that half gets cut in half when #2 happens.... sheesh only leaves a 1/4... I still believe Ryan will hire the right man... If 100-150K was keeping him from 100% committing to Traylor then that would really suck but who knows the real story maybe Traylor was just playing SFA up so that he could get a raise and had no intentions on leaving..
I do not think this is the case. I think he really wanted to come back to Texas and run his own program. I mean the guy is EAST TEXAS. I believe he may have asked for facility upgrades and things we may not have been able to do. Or maybe he pulled out because he was going to finish #2 to Carthel.
I could see this being the case. Especially if you ask for facility upgrades and Ivey tells you 5-7 years but you plan to be coaching SMU/Houston by then.

Who knows, we will see what happens.
SFAJack_76
Jacks4460 said:

SFAJack_76 said:

People that think $100-150k a year plus bonus, from a seriously underfunded athletic budget, is not a big deal make me chuckle.
76 I don't have the type of coin to pitch in the extra 100-150K but I bet there are 3 or 4 alumni that could afford to put the extra 25-45K each into the Ath Dept (Football Team) so that we could get a coach that will put us on the level with NDSU or someone like that...
Every year. Not just a one year deal. Don't lose sight of that. Speaking of NDSU, their coach got a contract in 2016 that paid $300,000, with 4% increase each year plus various bonuses. He recently got a contract extension with no change in the base. Just enhancements to bonus and appearance fees.

The $375-400k rumored to get Traylor would, I think, put him in the top 5% of FCS coaches. I am confident we can get a quality coach for much less and put the difference to the needed S&C, nutrition, etc. needs for the student-athletes.

SFAJack_76
randybass said:

Does anyone know what the buyout is for Carthel's contract at A&M Commerce? Can we afford it and will the admin pay it?
I believe he makes $150k. Early this year, his contract was extended through 2021. If there is any buyout, I doubt it is very much. I would suspect buyouts at the D2 level are rare.
BigJack85
My two cents..... first let's start with the list FCS programs that make money, "reportedly"

1. North Dakota State
2. Montana
3. Montana St. (maybe)
4. James Madison

FCS football is about ego (we're almost big-time but not quite) we get that once a year shot at one of the big boys , see Mississippi St. Beyond the annual brush with the real players in college football the rest of this is for "show". Most of these teams (80%) play before crowds of 9,000 or less. They are little more than an opportunity to showcase your band or revel in some great memories from your undergraduate days..... my point is this whole facade needs to be shrunken. Beyond the 2 or 3 name brand programs in state none , I repeat none make money.

Let's come to grips with this and reduce the number of scholarships dedicated to FCS football and recognize that the whole enterprise is not beneficial at the scale it is competed at. We would be just fine with highly competitive basketball, baseball and soccer programs that had the facilities and funding to compete at a truly national level. Not the 2 off run our basketball program has brought to us. REAL competitiveness like what you see in the Missouri Valley. Occasionally making it to the final 4 even etc. A program like I describe.... focused on cheaper and less "mass" intensive sports. By "mass" intensive I mean the large amount of $$$'s and young athletes to compete. Football is exactly that sport and why it is so hard to compete successfully. We would be better off focusing on smaller sports like basketball or baseball that it is more likely you will catch "lightning in a bottle" than football that requires so many elements to line up perfectly (coaching, facilities, recruiting and patient donor class)

Axe 'Em Jacks - Class of 85'
TallTexan
SFAJack_76 said:

Jacks4460 said:

SFAJack_76 said:

Every year. Not just a one year deal. Don't lose sight of that. Speaking of NDSU, their coach got a contract in 2016 that paid $300,000, with 4% increase each year plus various bonuses. He recently got a contract extension with no change in the base. Just enhancements to bonus and appearance fees.

The $375-400k rumored to get Traylor would, I think, put him in the top 5% of FCS coaches. I am confident we can get a quality coach for much less and put the difference to the needed S&C, nutrition, etc. needs for the student-athletes.

It is yearly, but it's still not huge in the grand scheme of things. If you're going to field a football team, & it only cost 100k more per year to field a high level team that could bring 15k in per week? That's a good investment.

But if you want an absolute steal at HC, Scott Walden currently makes 80k per year.

You could give him double his current salary and still come in below most schools. FWIW, I believe I heard from one of the ACU posters on here that they're paying Dorrell around 280k.
TallTexan
BigJack85 said:

My two cents..... first let's start with the list FCS programs that make money, "reportedly"

1. North Dakota State
2. Montana
3. Montana St. (maybe)
4. James Madison

FCS football is about ego (we're almost big-time but not quite) we get that once a year shot at one of the big boys , see Mississippi St. Beyond the annual brush with the real players in college football the rest of this is for "show". Most of these teams (80%) play before crowds of 9,000 or less. They are little more than an opportunity to showcase your band or revel in some great memories from your undergraduate days..... my point is this whole facade needs to be shrunken. Beyond the 2 or 3 name brand programs in state none , I repeat none make money.

Let's come to grips with this and reduce the number of scholarships dedicated to FCS football and recognize that the whole enterprise is not beneficial at the scale it is competed at. We would be just fine with highly competitive basketball, baseball and soccer programs that had the facilities and funding to compete at a truly national level. Not the 2 off run our basketball program has brought to us. REAL competitiveness like what you see in the Missouri Valley. Occasionally making it to the final 4 even etc. A program like I describe.... focused on cheaper and less "mass" intensive sports. By "mass" intensive I mean the large amount of $$$'s and young athletes to compete. Football is exactly that sport and why it is so hard to compete successfully. We would be better off focusing on smaller sports like basketball or baseball that it is more likely you will catch "lightning in a bottle" than football that requires so many elements to line up perfectly (coaching, facilities, recruiting and patient donor class)

I'll just say I definitely don't disagree on this, but at this point in the process we're definitely stuck with football, so might as well try to win the next several years.
Jacks4460
SFAJack_76 said:

Jacks4460 said:

SFAJack_76 said:

I am with you 76... plus paying him more than Keller when the basketball program is the revenue generator and national exposure of our University...
TallTexan
Looks to be Carthel.

TallTexan
I'm freaking stoked!
BigJack85
Kind of what was expected..... I'm guessing that him in around $200,000 + incentives. He could be just what we need.
TallTexan
Interested to see how he builds out his staff. I'm thinking his OC/DC might get the commerce job.

Wonder if there's room for Walden as our OC?
cboothe09
It is a vertical move and a pay raise. Just have to make sure his philosophy and Carthel's philosophy match up...
AxeEm99
Tall Texan: I'M STOKED TOO!!
SFAJack_76
I think it is a good hire. Time, and results, will tell. How the staff is built will be critical.
SFAXE93

Before he was hired
TEXAS A&M - COMMERCE 2012 (1-9); 2011 (1-9); 2010 (3-8)

After he was hired
2013: 7-5; 2-4; 5th
2014: 9-3; 6-1; 1st Place LONE STAR CHAMPIONS #24 Ranking
2015: 8-4; 6-0; 1st Place LONE STAR CHAMPIONS; PLAYOFFS #22 Ranking
2016: 11-2; 8-1; 1st Place LONE STAR CHAMPIONS; PLAYOFFS #9 Ranking
2017: 14-1; 7-1; 2nd Place NATIONAL CHAMPIONS; PLAYOFFS #1 Ranking
2018: 10-3; 7-1; 2nd Place PLAYOFFS #15 Ranking

58-18; 35-8
SFA Jack Fanatic
I'd be doubly stoked if we could also get Walden. But I'm thinking the odds of that double whammy are not good.
TallTexan
edstile said:

I'd be doubly stoked if we could also get Walden. But I'm thinking the odds of that double whammy are not good.

Carthel's a defensive coach. And that'd be around a 15k raise for Walden.

One of the things I like about Defensive Head coaches who run an explosive offense is that they take it personally with the identity of the defense.

They might score 60 to win, but they'll be chewing out their D for not being better. I like him as a fit for SFA.
SFAJack_76
It's a logical career step for Walden. Nice raise. Gets him home to Texas, and out of Mississippi.
TallTexan
SFAXE93 said:

Before he was hired

After he was hired
2013: 7-5; 2-4; 5th
2014: 9-3; 6-1; 1st Place LONE STAR CHAMPIONS #24 Ranking
2015: 8-4; 6-0; 1st Place LONE STAR CHAMPIONS; PLAYOFFS #22 Ranking
2016: 11-2; 8-1; 1st Place LONE STAR CHAMPIONS; PLAYOFFS #9 Ranking
2017: 14-1; 7-1; 2nd Place NATIONAL CHAMPIONS; PLAYOFFS #1 Ranking
2018: 10-3; 7-1; 2nd Place PLAYOFFS #15 Ranking

58-18; 35-8

So if I'm reading this right, with our 2 wins we're twice as good as the Commerce team he took over, so Natty next year right?
SFAJack_76
This young woman comes with the package. A little help with volleyball perhaps?

https://lionathletics.com/coaches.aspx?rc=344
TallTexan
I think this qualifies as Texas as hell.

TallTexan
SFAJack_76 said:

Interesting. I wonder if that came up during the interview?
SFAJack_76
TallTexan said:

SFAJack_76 said:

Interesting. I wonder if that came up during the interview?
Adler Augustin just finished his fourth year as assistant. I think he has played an important role in the Ladyjack success and will probably get a head coach opportunity at some point.
BigJack85
I think there is a chance that we will actually have a competent defense at some point.
SFAJack_76
BigJack85 said:

I think there is a chance that we will actually have a competent defense at some point.
Defense this year was fifth in the SLC. Offense was tenth.
SFA Jack Fanatic
TallTexan said:

SFAXE93 said:

Before he was hired

58-18; 35-8

So if I'm reading this right, with our 2 wins we're twice as good as the Commerce team he took over, so Natty next year right?
Uh, something about "Cart before the horse" comes to mind.... (and WAY before the horse...)
SFA Jack Fanatic
SFAJack_76 said:

It's a logical career step for Walden. Nice raise. Gets him home to Texas, and out of Mississippi.
Do you (or anyone else), think Ivey/Carthel might really be considering Walden for OC or is it just pure speculation on our part? Serious question.
SFAJack_76
edstile said:

SFAJack_76 said:

Do you (or anyone else), think Ivey/Carthel might really be considering Walden for OC or is it just pure speculation on our part? Serious question.
Pure speculation on my part.
Jacks4460
Carthel will do is well.. Big ole country boy... Kids will love him..
SFAJack_76
KTRE reporting that a source in the SFA athletic department has confirmed that Carthel is the guy with a formal announcement tomorrow.

Ivey seemed to be in a very good humor at the Ladyjack game.
BigJack85
If we could dig out 4 or 5 wins next year that would be a success.
TallTexan
SFAJack_76 said:

KTRE reporting that a source in the SFA athletic department has confirmed that Carthel is the guy with a formal announcement tomorrow.

Ivey seemed to be in a very good humor at the Ladyjack game.

I retweeted a few things about it and Ivey liked them. Definitely happening.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.