New Head Coach search.

130,084 Views | 457 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by corleycl
sfajack05
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Parents would move into the Gilmer district just to have their kids play for Traylor when he was there.

I think he would be a great hire but might be blinded just because I knew him when he was at Gilmer and always helped me out when I needed something for my previous job.

cboothe09
Not blinded. I think he would be an excellent hire and is the best candidate for the job. None other of the mentioned candidates would bring as much excitement to the program as Traylor.

When it comes to Traylor and this job, it is a matter of his career path and what he is wanting and on what timescale...
AxeEm99
TallTexan, I am hoping for a quick announcement as well, however, on the Indeed job site, the application was posted on 11/27/2018. Is that to meet a formal requirement, or because none of our desired candidates wanted the job???
Jacks4460
I am sure Ryan has his reasons but that makes me wonder why it is on indeed...
nacluth
Typically by state law, all public positions must be posted. Even if there was one specific person in mind, jobs that are under a civil authority have to have a public posting before filling. There are usually very few constraints about how many applicants they must accept or consider. It can be filled immediately unless there is another requirement for the position that has to fill a quota (like equal employment obligations).
Ryan
Kinnaird Guitars
SFA2000
arrival from East Texas,,,Walden???

https://flightaware.com/live/airport/KOCH
TallTexan
Jacks4460 said:

I am sure Ryan has his reasons but that makes me wonder why it is on indeed...
Yep, like Nacluth said, it's usually state law that it has to be publicly posted.

FWIW, I've never heard of a single college coach being hired by applying on a job board.
MasterAxe
How do you post a picture?
nacluth
To post a picture, it needs to be hosted on a third party image hosting site. I use postimages.org. You do not need an account, but if you make one you can save your pictures there.
1.) Anyway upload your picture there.
2.) After uploading, it will give you several options of links to share. Copy the Direct Link.
3.) On Sawmill desktop site, reply and click the picture icon and fill in the supplied box with your link.
4.) On Sawmill mobile you need to include the forum code: [img] paste direct link here [/img]

Hope that's simple enough.
SFAJack_76
SFA2000 said:

arrival from East Texas,,,Walden???

https://flightaware.com/live/airport/KOCH

Except he is in his second season coaching at Southern Miss in Hattiesburg, MS.
TallTexan
None of our guys got hired for the TxState Job.

SFAJack_76
Kendal Briles leveraged the Texas State interest for a raise and a contract extension at UH.
TallTexan
SFAJack_76 said:

Kendal Briles leveraged the Texas State interest for a raise and a contract extension at UH.
I honestly thought he'd be the hire. Honestly, was surprised they could even pull someone on the level of Spav or Briles. Thought for sure someone like Keeler would be their best bet.
SFASawmillGuy
http://www.wholehogsports.com/news/2018/nov/27/report-jeff-traylor-candidate-sfa-coaching-positio/

I didn't realize he went 175-26 in 201 games as a head coach. Dude is a champion. Imagine if he can turn SFA into that kind of giant.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.saturdaydownsouth.com/arkansas-football/report-arkansas-assistant-in-the-mix-for-open-coaching-job-at-stephen-f-austin/amp/
TallTexan
I'd love to see what Traylor or Walden could do on offense. Tamrick deserves atleast one season in a high quality offense.
SFASawmillGuy
TallTexan said:

I'd love to see what Traylor or Walden could do on offense. Tamrick deserves atleast one season in a high quality offense.

Honestly if the guys buy in immediately to Traylor, we could be the surprise team next season. I'd hate to say, the UIW of next year.
TallTexan
Seriously, take a gander at some of these results.

Just eye popping scores.
SFASawmillGuy
What offense does he run?
TallTexan
SFA_03 said:

I've never watched it in person, but it's spread to run.

This article covers it in great detail:
http://insidetexas.com/inside-the-gameplan-what-traylor-brings-to-ut/

When looking at the Gilmer stats from Traylor's time. They were averaging about 8 yards per carry, with nearly a 50/50 mix for Run/Pass total yardage.
SFASawmillGuy
TallTexan said:

SFA_03 said:

I've never watched it in person, but it's spread to run.

This article covers it in great detail:
http://insidetexas.com/inside-the-gameplan-what-traylor-brings-to-ut/

When looking at the Gilmer stats from Traylor's time. They were averaging about 8 yards per carry, with nearly a 50/50 mix for Run/Pass total yardage.

"Quarterback McLane Carter was a worthy high school starter but the kid was hardly a D-1 talent and yet threw for 3969 yards with 47 touchdowns and two interceptions. How? Because Traylor manufactured easy ways for him to throw the ball to targets that included Kris Boyd and Blake Lynch."

Jake Blumrick for Walter Payton?

I like hearing this. It makes it to where you're not screwed if something happens to your superstar QB, you can still survive with a backup.
TallTexan
Also important to note that Traylor is likely familiar with Covey's skillset from his time at Texas.
SFASawmillGuy
TallTexan said:

Also important to note that Traylor is likely familiar with Covey's skillset from his time at Texas.

True. He likes the wildcat so if Covey isn't the starter next year he'll definitely have a bigger role in the offense.
SFAJack_76
Coaching salaries have gotten ridiculous. My opinion.

Jeff Brohm: Quite a while back we reported that Purdue was going aggressive to keep Brohm. Tonight, Pat Forde is reporting that Purdue is "believed to have sweetened Brohm's current $4 million per-year deal to as much as $6 million annually, while offering incentives to stay." Forde added that Louisville's offer was walked up to $5 million per year.
Ljacks&Longnecks
Completely agree 76. This amount of $$$ for college coaches is absurd. Maybe that's one reason we are seeing stories about college football attendance being down. Could be that the next generation will see better uses for $$$.
SFASawmillGuy
SFAJack_76
Mickey Joseph

http://www.lsusports.net/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=5200&ATCLID=211460894
RedRiverLa
Kind of disappointed in the process. In 2014 I was chosen as an honorary defensive coach in the Spring game and they let me call three plays which were highly successful I might add. In fact, so successful I don't think they've done that honorary coach promotion since. Since then, I've been calling all the correct plays from row 44, seat 28, yet not once has Ivey contacted me. I beginning to believe there's a Louisiana bias involved.
Lumberjack Battalion
Lumberjacks make great US Army Special Ops Officers - AxeEm!
TallTexan
SFAJack_76 said:

Mickey Joseph

http://www.lsusports.net/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=5200&ATCLID=211460894
Kind of reminds me of Keller and Underwood's backgrounds. Some lower division HC experience, career assistant at all the schools you'd want to see for a coach, NFL internship, etc.

I know we've all been thinking about someone with Texas ties, but if we paired a strong Texas staff with a Louisiana head coach, or vice versa, we could really bring some good athletes to Nac.
SFAJack_76
I don't disagree, however our last HC from Louisiana did not work out so good.
cboothe09
Hearing the Southern Miss DC is interviewing too...
cboothe09
Stephen F. Austin (FCS TX): Arkansas running backs coach Jeff Traylor is interviewing this week for the head job tweets Adam Rittenberg. Tuesday we wrote about Traylor and other candidates for the job. Rittenberg adds that Mississippi State defensive analyst Van Malone (former SMU DC) has interviewed for the job as well.
TallTexan
cboothe09 said:

Stephen F. Austin (FCS TX): Arkansas running backs coach Jeff Traylor is interviewing this week for the head job tweets Adam Rittenberg. Tuesday we wrote about Traylor and other candidates for the job. Rittenberg adds that Mississippi State defensive analyst Van Malone (former SMU DC) has interviewed for the job as well.
Man, we're attracting a lot more attention for this role than I would have guessed.
SFAJack_76
Without hearing names, I had heard that we have several really good candidates. The interest just has to be due to the positives coming out of SFA post Ivey hiring. It certainly is not due to our football history.
SFAJack_76
Van Malone

https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/mississippi-state-football/report-joe-moorhead-adds-former-cfb-defensive-coordinator-to-staff/

http://footballscoop.com/news/handle-fired-according-coach-just-got-fired/
RedRiverLa
SFAJack_76 said:

I don't disagree, however our last HC from Louisiana did not work out so good.

Good point, although he left years ago so we don't really claim him.
Lumberjack Battalion
Lumberjacks make great US Army Special Ops Officers - AxeEm!

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.