New Head Coach search.

130,982 Views | 457 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by corleycl
Ljacks&Longnecks
How long do you want to ignore this user?
We definitely need to avoid the lateral SLC hire....didn't work with Santiago and sure didn't work with Conque.
TallTexan
Ljacks&Longnecks said:

We definitely need to avoid the lateral SLC hire....didn't work with Santiago and sure didn't work with Conque.

Doesn't really seem to be Ivey's style.
TallTexan
There seems to be a better than average chance that Tulane boots Fritz. He'd be a grandslam hire for us IMO.

5-7 looks like their best possible record in Year 3. They're 2-5 at the moment.
SFASawmillGuy
Which is why his next stop likely won't be in the FCS.
TallTexan
SFA_03 said:

Which is why his next stop likely won't be in the FCS.

Maybe,but not a lot of teams are clamoring to hire 5 win coaches. We just happen to know what he's capable of for building programs.

And for the record, I think given 5 years, he could turn Tulane around. But with Les Miles still out there, Tulane would be dumb to not go after him.
TallTexan
What about one of the UAB coordinators? Those guys literally know how to rebuild a program.
TallTexan
Reading about our basketball program's culture/brand got me to thinking, what should our football team's culture/brand be?

Should it be explosive offense like Texas Tech?
Suffocating Defense like Bama & SFA Basketball?
Ball Control Offenses like KState?
Something else entirely?

Thoughts?
HitSomeBody
TallTexan said:

Reading about our basketball program's culture/brand got me to thinking, what should our football team's culture/brand be?

Something else entirely?

Thoughts?
I think the offense should be explosive. Look at most of the Texas High Schools that are blowing through their districts putting up 55 to 65 points. They all run a fast pace offensive. These kids are coming to college from a basic knowledge of fast pace explosive offense. Once they get to campus the coaches can build on it.

As long as the defense is good enough to make 3 to 4 stops in a game having an explosive offense putting points on the board would win games.
Axe'Em Jacks
PurpleOut
Staff
Remember when we'd score 50 points and still lose? And then Harper would say, "if we only scored one more TD we would have won." Or, maybe don't give up 60.

I'd definitely take a more uptempo and high paced offense. More similar to Oklahoma than anyone.
SFASawmillGuy
SFA 2009-2013 was that explosive Texas Tech style attack, but it was HIGHLY unorganized. Even to Jeremy Moses' self admission, there was no organization to the playbook. He was given the freedom to choose his targets pre snap and, while he was good at it, Brady Attaway probably shouldn't have had near the control.

The stable of the air raid offense is that the QB makes as few decisions as possible, and mostly relies on the QB releasing the ball fast to set up deeper passes. That's what Sam does and that's what Tech has done since Leach.

SFA could do the air raid again and be successful, but they need it to be organized like those other programs do.
SFASawmillGuy
We'd also turnover the ball a lot. Like I said, the QB should not make a lot of decisions in an air raid.
TallTexan
HitSomeBody said:

TallTexan said:

Something else entirely?

Thoughts?
I think the offense should be explosive. Look at most of the Texas High Schools that are blowing through their districts putting up 55 to 65 points. They all run a fast pace offensive. These kids are coming to college from a basic knowledge of fast pace explosive offense. Once they get to campus the coaches can build on it.

As long as the defense is good enough to make 3 to 4 stops in a game having an explosive offense putting points on the board would win games.
Agreed. I think that an explosive, air raid/spread style offense gives you a distinct advantage in Texas. First, lots of HS kids know the system already. And by design, Air Raid/Spread is designed to do more with less.

I think it'd be a particularly good fit for SFA.
TallTexan
PurpleOut said:

Remember when we'd score 50 points and still lose? And then Harper would say, "if we only scored one more TD we would have won." Or, maybe don't give up 60.

I'd definitely take a more uptempo and high paced offense. More similar to Oklahoma than anyone.
I like the power spread that Texas is running(when they're actually running it, which seems like it's every other week), but Lincoln Riley's style works quite well too.

I think on the defensive side of the ball, an above average defense is important(see OU vs Texas). But to me, that's more of a product of having disciplined players who take pride in never taking a play off. If we do that, we can get enough stops a game to win.

Graham Harrell would be a notably good fit for a high power uptempo offense, but that largely depends on whether or not he's open to our call.
Sfas 1993
I think someone to look into is Kerwin Bell at D2 Valdosta State! Former Sec / Nfl Quarterback who has built programs and won every where he has been! Right now his team is 8 and 0 and leading the entire country in offense with 53.4 points per game! His Offense is very explosive and his son calls the plays at 25 years old! ! He took a Jacksonville University job from no winning seasons to winning the conference championship and beating full scholarship fcs teams! He was also was a finalist for the Lamar job 2 years ago!
BigJack85
I like the Kerwin Bell idea but... someone that can recruit East Texas and SE Texas well is the prime quality I want in a head coach. Along with the ability to build a flexible offensive identity. Not tied to passing 80% of the time. If we can be moderately competent at running (160-180 yds per game) while continuing to pass the ball like we do today we should be in the top 3rd of SLC offenses. We don't ha e to be number one in offense if we play decent defense and control the ball. Hopefully we can find that mix.
Axe 'Em Jacks - Class of 85'
SFA Jack Fanatic
Sfas 1993 said:

I think someone to look into is Kerwin Bell at D2 Valdosta State! Former Sec / Nfl Quarterback who has built programs and won every where he has been! Right now his team is 8 and 0 and leading the entire country in offense with 53.4 points per game! His Offense is very explosive and his son calls the plays at 25 years old! ! He took a Jacksonville University job from no winning seasons to winning the conference championship and beating full scholarship fcs teams! He was also was a finalist for the Lamar job 2 years ago!
Good post. And welcome to the Sawmill!
Sfas 1993
BigJack85 said:

I like the Kerwin Bell idea but... someone that can recruit East Texas and SE Texas well is the prime quality I want in a head coach. Along with the ability to build a flexible offensive identity. Not tied to passing 80% of the time. If we can be moderately competent at running (160-180 yds per game) while continuing to pass the ball like we do today we should be in the top 3rd of SLC offenses. We don't ha e to be number one in offense if we play decent defense and control the ball. Hopefully we can find that mix.
no doubt! I think balance is Huge for a winning offense. Kerwin Bell's team right now is averaging 290 passing and 238 rushing which is unbelievably balanced! Plus he's been the type of guy who loves the challenge of building winning programs!
TallTexan
Kerwin Bell is the type of coach we need. Winner, experience in strong programs. His predecessor, David Dean would also be in a similar vein. Fwiw, Will Hall, currently at Memphis, would be an excellent hire and built West Georgia and West Alabama into winners.

I agree with BigJack, I'd probably lean towards someone with familiarity to Texas too.

TallTexan
I believe Bell runs a pro-style offense, which is surprising to see that style of O put up so many points.

I'm just so curious as to where Ivey is leaning. Up and coming coordinator? Experienced HC? Budget option(Fwiw, Nicholls coach's first salary was 130k base)? Or big salary for a P5 assistant?

I just want a hint lol.
Sfas 1993
TallTexan said:

Kerwin Bell is the type of coach we need. Winner, experience in strong programs. His predecessor, David Dean would also be in a similar vein. Fwiw, Will Hall, currently at Memphis, would be an excellent hire and built West Georgia and West Alabama into winners.

I agree with BigJack, I'd probably lean towards someone with familiarity to Texas too.

All good coaches, I think the way Bell builds the programs and recruits is big time. They are saying this is the fastest d2/Valdosta State team they have ever seen! Bell has only been coaching for 11 years in college! Was a player/coach coordinator in the CFL. Then took a high school job after retiring from playing and built a state championship in 4 years. Supposedly him and Chizik are college buddies!

Sfas 1993
TallTexan said:

I believe Bell runs a pro-style offense, which is surprising to see that style of O put up so many points.

I'm just so curious as to where Ivey is leaning. Up and coming coordinator? Experienced HC? Budget option(Fwiw, Nicholls coach's first salary was 130k base)? Or big salary for a P5 assistant?

I just want a hint lol.

You are correct. Bell offense is a pro style system that he created. But it is a no huddle offense with a lot of spread / run and screen game concepts to attack matchups! Probably the reason they are so balanced!
TallTexan
I know it's basketball season officially, so our long football nightmare is on the back burner for the time being, but has anyone mentioned Vance Bedford as a candidate?

He'd bring some recognition to the program, is a great coach, and is a hilarious interview as well. Thoughts?
Bighamp
Terrible game last week. We couldn't run the ball and the play calling was like watching paint dry. We don't throw to the WR' s at all. Ever heard of a tight end??

Oh yea we had a bye last week--- never mind!!
TallTexan
Bighamp said:

Terrible game last week. We couldn't run the ball and the play calling was like watching paint dry. We don't throw to the WR' s at all. Ever heard of a tight end??

Oh yea we had a bye last week--- never mind!!

Didn't lose, so I'll take it.
Bighamp
Good Point!
axeem18
As we are all destined to get a new football coach, I believe Byrd is our guy. The number one thing all of us know/need to know is that the football culture at SFA has been in ruins ever since Conque stepped on campus. Abysmal to say the least.
Yes, they went to the playoffs in his first year here but on an 8-5 record and with players who were already established within the program. Ever since then what does SFA have to show for it? Byrd came in as a defensive coordinator and although our defense may not look all that great on Saturdays we have to acknowledge that it has improved prior to years before + how do we expect our defense to perform at an exceptional level when they are on the field 75% of the time??
Back to the culture, working closely with the team I noticed upon Conques departure how much our players actively bought into Byrd's coaching style. Even though Byrd probably didn't think there was a chance for us to win a lot of games we simply were given a gash of hope! He's an excellent recruiter, bringing in Kirkland Joseph, Quin Jones, Tavo Hendrix who are all transfers.
I'm closing, I just really want to know how do y'all expect someone to change a culture around in a short 4 months?? It simply cannot happen, so therefore I believe we need to get behind this man and support him.

To finish off: Clint Conque should have never been hired at SFA
cboothe09
This is actually something I have been back and forth on the past couple of months. Everything I hear on here, the culture is changing and the players really seem to like playing for Byrd. If he can develop guys in the trenches on both sides, we have the guys that can make this team pretty successful. That is the difference between us and everyone else right now.

On the other hand, the absolute egg we laid at NRG still burns in my mind. They are not that much better than us, but the scoreboard said differently.

I'm really torn on this one. I like the guy and feel he could be successful, but if we could actually get a guy like Traylor, then I have to consider the possibility of "What if..."
Jacks4460
axeem18 said:

As we are all destined to get a new football coach, I believe Byrd is our guy. The number one thing all of us know/need to know is that the football culture at SFA has been in ruins ever since Conque stepped on campus. Abysmal to say the least.
Yes, they went to the playoffs in his first year here but on an 8-5 record and with players who were already established within the program. Ever since then what does SFA have to show for it? Byrd came in as a defensive coordinator and although our defense may not look all that great on Saturdays we have to acknowledge that it has improved prior to years before + how do we expect our defense to perform at an exceptional level when they are on the field 75% of the time??
Back to the culture, working closely with the team I noticed upon Conques departure how much our players actively bought into Byrd's coaching style. Even though Byrd probably didn't think there was a chance for us to win a lot of games we simply were given a gash of hope! He's an excellent recruiter, bringing in Kirkland Joseph, Quin Jones, Tavo Hendrix who are all transfers.
I'm closing, I just really want to know how do y'all expect someone to change a culture around in a short 4 months?? It simply cannot happen, so therefore I believe we need to get behind this man and support him.

To finish off: Clint Conque should have never been hired at SFA

Morris did it at Incarnet Ward... Look I love Coach Byrds coaching style.. In your face and you will always know where he stands on something.. As a former player that is something that attracts you to a coach and want to play your a$$ off for him.. I just don't think he is our HC... DC yes indeed he could be.. He would have those boys flying around there if thats all he had to do was defense. All the other things an HC does that distracts his attention from football needs a certain type of person now a days.. I think all our coaches have done a good job considering what happened to their leader in July..

I have been away from the program since 93 and when I inquired about how to get a kid looked at that is from a town only 85 miles from Nacogdoches and was told "Coach Crowton looks at the highlights first and then if HE feels they fit into the system then he will assign them to a position coach". When I heard that I knew something was thrown way off.. how can a HC put all his trust in evaluating a talent into the hands of an OC that was up in age and ready to retire... come on... I get fired up just thinking about it.. They have failed to recruit their own back yard for years now and it has really hurt.. I know a lot of THSC and they all say up UNTIL THIS YEAR was that SFA "we never see them" "HAHAHA those guys are lazy"... Football is year round you gotta be working your a$$ off all the time.. Look at our assistant BB coaches those guys are BEASTS on the recruiting trail.. I believe in Ryan and his decision making and even more important is supporters way way way larger than myself believe in his vision likewise and are coming back to help support the program with monetary donations...
nacluth
Statistically our defense is worse this year than last year.
Jacks4460
nacluth said:

Statistically our defense is worse this year than last year.
If Byrd could spend his time being a DC instead of an HC I am sure it would be a lot better..
BigJack85
My guess at our target list.

1. Traylor (unattainable) $$$
2. Colby Carthel
3. Hunter Hughes
4. Todd Whitten
5. Jeff Byrd
Axe 'Em Jacks - Class of 85'
SFAXE93
Speaking of back yard.

#10 Kilgore College 9-2, just destroyed NEO 62-19 in the SWJCFC Championship.

Play in Bowl Game Dec. 1
Jacks4460
SFAXE93 said:

Speaking of back yard.

Play in Bowl Game Dec. 1
I don't know who there coach is but I bet they have 2-3 ballers we could use next year in football..
TallTexan
Jacks4460 said:

SFAXE93 said:

Speaking of back yard.

Play in Bowl Game Dec. 1
I don't know who there coach is but I bet they have 2-3 ballers we could use next year in football..

10 year guy. Noticed that a lot on lower levels(D2/D3/NAIA),they have incredible longevity from many of the top programs.
SFAXE93
Right, not talking about the coach there, but recruiting players from there

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.