New Head Coach search.

131,152 Views | 457 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by corleycl
SFAJack_76
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I am very confident that no assistants will be retained or hired because they are legacies or great guys. If Moses is the best available assistant, keep him. If not, thank him for what he has done and wish him well in his next job.

Part of the challenge at SFA is the legacy, good old boy routine. That has been positively broken with the hiring of Ivey. That needs to not be the only change.
KATatonic
I can honestly say that that is one area where Sam Houston has gotten it right. Going back to Fritz, and then Keeler, we went outside the old boy network and were successful. It doesn't mean it will always work with everybody, but when you take emotional attachment out of the decision you are likely to make a better choice. Good luck with your coaching search. I truly hope you guys find a good one. It will make the conference and the rivalry so much better.
TallTexan
KATatonic said:

I can honestly say that that is one area where Sam Houston has gotten it right. Going back to Fritz, and then Keeler, we went outside the old boy network and were successful. It doesn't mean it will always work with everybody, but when you take emotional attachment out of the decision you are likely to make a better choice. Good luck with your coaching search. I truly hope you guys find a good one. It will make the conference and the rivalry so much better.

I think that is why Ivey was hired. And he's consistently hired up and coming coaches from winning programs. I'm excited to see who we'll get.

FWIW, I do find myself wondering just how bad Tulane's season would have to be for Fritz to come available.

KATatonic
TallTexan said:

KATatonic said:

I think that is why Ivey was hired. And he's consistently hired up and coming coaches from winning programs. I'm excited to see who we'll get.

FWIW, I do find myself wondering just how bad Tulane's season would have to be for Fritz to come available.

Tulane will be Fritz's last job. He's not getting any younger. He's making a boat load of money. And, just a winning record will keep the fans and alumni happy for the most part. He has done an amazing job just to make them competitive in that conference.
drhuggybear
TallTexan said:

SFA_03 said:

TallTexan said:

Something to keep in mind, the assistants we hire are probably as important as the HC. That's one of the things that has been pointed out in Austin Peay's turnaround.

We need a staff that's as fired up and capable as whoever our new HC is.

I wonder if Jeremy Moses will be allowed to stay on. He's a great guy and the literal GOAT at SFA, but he seems so much like he's just here because of his legacy, and not his coaching ability.

It's a good question whether or not anyone will be retained. I haven't personally heard anything about whether or not he's a good coach or just a legacy.

Give the new coach a clean slate to work with. Let him pick his staff so that they can fully implement his system without having to worry about legacy staff.
Jeff
Axe'Em Jacks
SfaFan15
I'm not sure if it his name has been thrown in already, but Tommy Mainord from UNT seems like he would potentially be a fit. Knows how to run an offense, which we DESPERATELY need, and has strong Texes ties. He's coached with some great coaches and also has experience in the Southland Conference. Seems like he might be within our budget too.
TallTexan
SfaFan15 said:

I'm not sure if it his name has been thrown in already, but Tommy Mainord from UNT seems like he would potentially be a fit. Knows how to run an offense, which we DESPERATELY need, and has strong Texes ties. He's coached with some great coaches and also has experience in the Southland Conference. Seems like he might be within our budget too.

Good catch. Hadn't seen his name thrown in and with a background with Tech and currently working with Littrell, he could be an excellent fit to unlock our offense.

https://meangreensports.com/staff.aspx?staff=150
SFASawmillGuy
TallTexan said:

SfaFan15 said:

Good catch. Hadn't seen his name thrown in and with a background with Tech and currently working with Littrell, he could be an excellent fit to unlock our offense.

https://meangreensports.com/staff.aspx?staff=150

Meh. I'm still more hoping at the very least if we can't snag a head coach, we can at least snag a coordinator.
Going for a positions coach is a stretch I think.
Graham Harrell.
TallTexan
Meachem's available.

SFASawmillGuy
TallTexan said:

Meachem's available.

Nah...
TallTexan
Not a fan of Meacham?
cboothe09
Kind of a Kendall Briles fan. A year under Lane Kiffen and a year under Major Applewhite. FAU has seen their offense take a few steps back since he left. Houston has the highest scoring offense in NCAA right now. Thoughts?
BigJack85
I'd like to see us be good on both sides of the ball. Is there anyone out there that can help us develop a running game and play solid defense at all levels?
Axe 'Em Jacks - Class of 85'
TallTexan
cboothe09 said:

Kind of a Kendall Briles fan. A year under Lane Kiffen and a year under Major Applewhite. FAU has seen their offense take a few steps back since he left. Houston has the highest scoring offense in NCAA right now. Thoughts?

It's almost impossible that Briles Jr wasn't involved in the scandal at Baylor in some form or fashion. He was OC. I wouldn't touch any Baylor assistant from that era with a 10 foot pole, much less hire them.
TallTexan
BigJack85 said:

I'd like to see us be good on both sides of the ball. Is there anyone out there that can help us develop a running game and play solid defense at all levels?

You'd probably be looking at something like a power spread, similar to what Texas is running at the moment(TCU/OU games, not Maryland}. The challenge is, you need a good OLine to pull it off. A traditional air raid offense does more with less, but is designed more for shootouts.

Now that's not to say you can't pair it with a good defense, just that any defense you use it with will be on the field repeatedly, which limits their effectiveness. But if you get 4 stops a game, you might win by 21.
HitSomeBody
cboothe09 said:

Being a Baylor Alumni, I don't think any of the assistants should be coaching after what transpired at Baylor for the sake of winning. I want SFA to win, I want them to win right. It's ok to bring up Kendall because if you look at what he learned from his dad (I'm talking just X's and O's) he learned how to know what players he has and build an attack plan to play on their strengths. That is why at FAU their offense led in yardage in their division and now at Houston they are racking up yards and points. Different teams, different players, yet same offensive results. It's the non- X's and O's side of football that I do not think a program like SFA who needs to rebuild can risk taking the chance on him. Plus, I don't think he would leave the FBS ranks anyway.

Now, all that being said, I do think hiring one of them (probably his dad since Kendall is at Houston) as an independent offensive consultant to work behind the scene and not with the players would be worth it for whoever comes in as our OC. Kind of like an IT consultant SOW. Draw one up where he works for 4 to 6 weeks with the OC on the drawing board during the offseason then contract is done.
Axe'Em Jacks
Jacks4460
HitSomeBody said:

cboothe09 said:

Being a Baylor Alumni, I don't think any of the assistants should be coaching after what transpired at Baylor for the sake of winning. I want SFA to win, I want them to win right. It's ok to bring up Kendall because if you look at what he learned from his dad (I'm talking just X's and O's) he learned how to know what players he has and build an attack plan to play on their strengths. That is why at FAU their offense led in yardage in their division and now at Houston they are racking up yards and points. Different teams, different players, yet same offensive results. It's the non- X's and O's side of football that I do not think a program like SFA who needs to rebuild can risk taking the chance on him. Plus, I don't think he would leave the FBS ranks anyway.

Now, all that being said, I do think hiring one of them (probably his dad since Kendall is at Houston) as an independent offensive consultant to work behind the scene and not with the players would be worth it for whoever comes in as our OC. Kind of like an IT consultant SOW. Draw one up where he works for 4 to 6 weeks with the OC on the drawing board during the offseason then contract is done.
Briles is toxic we don't need him around our program no matter how well he knows his X's and O's... He found a gig in Italy of all places.. Ryan will do us a great job when it comes to finding a coach.
cboothe09
HitSomeBody said:

cboothe09 said:

I knew there was baggage with Kendall, and he will be a short list for some big school gigs after this year. To be fair, he was never named or implicated in the mess that his father oversaw in Waco. That said, the baggage associated with the name alone is enough to scare some people away and it is something I completely understand.
With Kendall I could work past it, but wouldn't be heartbroken if we didn't bring him in. Just an intriguing name...
Jacks4460
You are right tho Kendall is a great offensive mind..
TallTexan
cboothe09 said:

HitSomeBody said:

cboothe09 said:

I knew there was baggage with Kendall, and he will be a short list for some big school gigs after this year. To be fair, he was never named or implicated in the mess that his father oversaw in Waco. That said, the baggage associated with the name alone is enough to scare some people away and it is something I completely understand.
With Kendall I could work past it, but wouldn't be heartbroken if we didn't bring him in. Just an intriguing name...

Kendall and other parties not being named is partially by design. Baylor did everything in its power to not leave a paper trail, avoid naming anyone in particular responsible, and to hide the extents of the scandal.

This is the from the summary of the report, which FWIW, has never been heard outside of the Baylor board of regents, and was delivered orally so there wouldn't be a paper copy subject to subpoenas.

"football coaches and staff took improper steps in response to disclosures of sexual assault or dating violence that precluded the University from fulfilling its legal obligations."

Toxic situation all around, one that can stay at Houston IMO.
TallTexan
I, for one, am glad that Ivey uses Bing.

TallTexan
Thoughts on Gene Chizik?
BigJack85
Long shot........
Axe 'Em Jacks - Class of 85'
Jacks4460
TallTexan said:

Thoughts on Gene Chizik?
Already a multi millionaire with many different businesses going on (Chick fila franchises, and who knows what else). I saw a show on him a couple months ago and he was doing really well and had kids at home etc. Many things to keep him away from coaching..
TallTexan
I think his youngest kid, Callie, graduates HS this year.

But ya he's got a pretty sweet setup in life already.
drhuggybear
As much as I would like to see us pull a high profile coach out of retirement that is a pipe dream. Sure it would boost recruiting etc but these guys retired making millions. Would you go back to work for 1/10th of what you were making before for the same job, same stress, etc. None of us would.

Jeff
Axe'Em Jacks
SFASawmillGuy
drhuggybear said:

As much as I would like to see us pull a high profile coach out of retirement that is a pipe dream. Sure it would boost recruiting etc but these guys retired making millions. Would you go back to work for 1/10th of what you were making before for the same job, same stress, etc. None of us would.

For the love of the game.
TallTexan
I'd bet his last DC role was around 500k.

So for 60% of his last salary.

But he really does have a cushy life already.
CertifiedAxeman98
The new HC will have to start the 2019 season on the road in Waco.

https://sicem365.com/s/3395/baylor-to-play-seven-home-games-in-2019-football-season
TallTexan
CertifiedAxeman98 said:

The new HC will have to start the 2019 season on the road in Waco.

https://sicem365.com/s/3395/baylor-to-play-seven-home-games-in-2019-football-season
A better starting game for us than Mississippi State and we could get a decent SFA crowd there.

SMU in 2020. That one might be winnable.
AxeEm99
Just FYI: I live in Huntsville. There is a group of Alumni and fans in Huntsville diligently trying to oust Keeler at the end of this season! I think Keeler would be a great person to turn the SFA program around if we cannot land Colby Cathel!

Please also note that Cathel has recently received a contract extension to 2021. The President of A&M Commerce stated that Cathel had "transformed our institution in ways we have never experienced." I think Cathel or Keeler would do the same for SFA and either would be a great long term investment!!
SFASawmillGuy
randybass said:

Just FYI: I live in Huntsville. There is a group of Alumni and fans in Huntsville diligently trying to oust Keeler at the end of this season! I think Keeler would be a great person to turn the SFA program around if we cannot land Colby Cathel!

Please also note that Cathel has recently received a contract extension to 2021. The President of A&M Commerce stated that Cathel had "transformed our institution in ways we have never experienced." I think Cathel or Keeler would do the same for SFA and either would be a great long term investment!!

But do we really want to pick up another SLC coach who had success at a previous program?

Keeler probably has his pick of any small FBS program he wants anyway. I'm sure he'll be there after he leaves Prison Tech.
AxeEm99
SFA_03, you are probably right about Keeler. He would be a good catch though!

I think Carthel is my preferred guy. We bought out Harper's contract to hire a "winner" in Conque. I would hope Ivey and Patillo would be willing to make an investment in a real coach with a track record of proven success even if it means buying out his contract at Texas A&M Commerce to get him!!!!

The good thing is that Ivey already has a relationship with Carthel!!
SFASawmillGuy
UIW is about to beat McNeese.
TallTexan
He's had success at two FCS programs now, though I have heard the same about people wanting to ditch him at Sam. He seems to be a high level coach.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.