New Head Coach search.

131,630 Views | 457 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by corleycl
BigJack85
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Offensive Line needs to be completely retooled. I don't think Josh Covey will stay. Blumrick may be a good stopgap till new coach gets his full scheme implemented. We probably have the talent that with a little continuity could go 5-6 or best case 6-5. I'm intrigued by the possibilities.
Axe 'Em Jacks - Class of 85'
SFAJack_76
BigJack85 said:

Offensive Line needs to be completely retooled. I don't think Josh Covey will stay. Blumrick may be a good stopgap till new coach gets his full scheme implemented. We probably have the talent that with a little continuity could go 5-6 or best case 6-5. I'm intrigued by the possibilities.
Exactly this. Seniors that were not good as juniors are not likely to become good because they are a year older.
SFAXE93
With proper motivation and coaching they will.
SFAXE93
When football season is over and you wonder who your new head coach will be.

nacluth
No those are just pictures of my normal day...
AxeEm99
Well, if we are waiting on an announcement on Carthel coming to Nac, it will be another week. His team just beat Minnesota Duluth in the first round! I am hoping Carthel is our guy!!!
Tarleton just pummeled Azusa Pacific... A potential Todd Whitten announcement will be delayed as well.
SFAXE93
Somebody is going to be done next week.

The loser gets the SFA job

REGINAL SEMIFINALS GAME (NOV. 24 (SAT.) @Tarleton State

#3 TEXAS A&M - COMMERCE (10-2) vs. #2 TARLETON STATE (11-0)

Both coaches lose a ton of seniors after this season, especially Tarleton State (30 seniors)
Ljacks&Longnecks
Hey, that's exactly how I looked like after 8 of 10 football games this season!!
BigJack85
I am a total outlier but I'd really like Whitten. He had a bad deal at Sammie so he'll be really motivated to beat them. He knows how to run an offense. He can hire a good DC (Byrd).
Axe 'Em Jacks - Class of 85'
SFAXE93
5X Conference Coach of the Year

Salary: $122,400

1996 Tarleton State 5-5 (6th)
2000 Tarleton State 6-5 (3rd South)
2001 Tarleton State 10-3 (1st South) Quarterfinals
2002 Tarleton State 9-2 (1st North)
2003 Tarleton State 8-4 (1st North) First Round
2004 Tarleton State 7-4 (3rd North)

2005 Sam Houston State 3-7 (5th)
2006 Sam Houston State 6-5 (2nd)
2007 Sam Houston State 7-4 (2nd)
2008 Sam Houston State 4-6 (6th)
2009 Sam Houston State 5-6 (5th)

2016 Tarleton State 5-6 (5th)
2017 Tarleton State 6-6 (4th) Corsicana Bowl
2018 Tarleton State 11-0 (1st) Playoffs

TallTexan
BigJack85 said:

I am a total outlier but I'd really like Whitten. He had a bad deal at Sammie so he'll be really motivated to beat them. He knows how to run an offense. He can hire a good DC (Byrd).

I wouldn't mind it. But I'd like some other names more.

Question, Whitten runs the triple option right?

Doesn't Fritz run it at Tulane? If yes, did he run it at Sam?
TallTexan
5 coaches I think we should hire and why, ranked

1A. Jeff Traylor: An Alum. A native east Texan to boot, Traylor is a top notch recruiter who could put SFA on par with any FCS team in the country talent wise. His HS teams also played a fun, high scoring style of offense. Traylor can take us back to the playoffs and set us up nicely in the talent department, even if his tenure might be short.

UT boards did an excellent writeup on Traylor here:
http://insidetexas.com/inside-the-gameplan-what-traylor-brings-to-ut/

1B. Curtis Luper: SFA Alum, Army vet. Luper could be the man for the job. A renowned recruiter(he discovered Cam Newton chilling at Blinn for Auburn), he's the guy SFA should have hired last time around. I'm not 100% sure his offensive style, but a former air traffic controller running an air raid offense seems fitting. He's the Co-OC and Running backs coach at TCU, a program that knows how to do more with less and seems to play the underdog role perfectly.

SFA would be lucky to land him.

Great writeup on Luper:
https://www.star-telegram.com/sports/college/big-12/texas-christian-university/article217151630.html

2.Will Hall: I'll admit, this is my wildcard pick. He hasn't coached in Texas, which I think is pretty important. But he has coached in Louisiana and Arkansas, so he's slightly familiar with our neck of the woods. He's a known program builder, taking a West Alabama team that went 26-30 prior to his tenure to a 25-11 record in his 3 years there. He then took over West Georgia, a team that went 19-42 in the previous 6 seasons and took them to two straight 12 win seasons. Currently assistant Head Coach and TE coach at Memphis. I think he'd be an excellent fit to help rebuild the program.

No Awesome writeups, so wikipedia will have to do:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Will_Hall_(American_football)

3. Colby Carthel: Ahh, now onto the inevitable, perhaps even the favorite according to some. Carthel is the coach that's meant to check all the boxes. Familiarity with the current AD: Check. WInner(D2 Champion: Check), familiar with East Texas/Texas: Double Check. Young and exciting: Check. It's like the football gods put an excellent head coach right in our backyard and dared us not to hire him.

He's 57-17 at Commerce currently and his 5th season isn't even finished yet. A DC by nature, he'd be a great pairing with an explosive offense because defense would still be an important part of the gameplan, unlike some offensive coaches: looking at you Mike Leach. Overall, a solid, quality hire. And likely the right one.

I'm not even going to link to an article, but checkout this excerpt from Wikipedia. The dude made lemonade and Commerce didn't even let him start with lemons.

Quote:

In 2013, Carthel left West Texas A&M and was hired as the 19th head football coach at Texas A&M University-Commerce.[url=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colby_Carthel#cite_note-6][6][/url]The program was coming off of two back-to-back 19 seasons, the worst two year stretch in school history. Carthel quickly established a new culture in Commerce that saw 50 of the 85 players leave the program.
4. Matt Moore: Last on this list, but this darkhorse candidate is one of my favorites. Matt is currently the OC and offensive line coach at Troy, one of the hottest teams in the country. They're 34-15 over the past 4 seasons with wins over LSU & Nebraska.

So why do I think he's a great fit. He's a Mike Leach coaching tree disciple. He's coached in Texas and Louisiana. He's worked for successful programs, having been at Tech during their heyday(the infamous Crabtree catch season) and now at Troy. And he's an Oline coach. We desperately need a new Oline and there aint no way that a man who's fed his family by coaching in the trenches is going to let our Oline continue to be a weakspot. Check out these stats:

Quote:

Troy's offensive line has been a juggernaut during Moore's second stint with the Trojans. Troy led the country with just eight sacks allowed during the 2016 season after ranking 38th in his first season. The Trojans finished the 2017 campaign ranked sixth in offensive line efficiency and 12th in fewest sacks allowed; Troy ranked 111th nationally in sacks allowed in the year prior to his arrival.
That's in addition to 2 1000 yard backs in two of the first 3 season. Check out this article on their Oline and some of Moore's coaching philosophy:
https://www.dothaneagle.com/sports/troy/offensive-line-has-been-consistent-for-troy-trojans/article_2b54f6fc-e3aa-11e8-aa54-2bb4b1e93837.html

Bonus Coach: Graham Harrell. The Wunderkid. Harrell isn't just a Leach disciple, he's also likely the most successful college QB Leach's system has ever produced. And now he's coaching at UNT, which has seen a remarkable rise under the current coaching staff, with him serving at OC. Just 33, he'd be a homerun hire for SFA and likely the first in a line of head-coaching gigs.

But the reason I didn't include him in the top 5? He seems the most unlikely. While 3 losses have reduced his shine a bit, Seth Littrell, Harrell's boss, is still likely headed for a big promotion to a P5 role after the season (if enough of them open). And I'd bet that Harrell is either his likely successor at UNT or his OC at that new role. If Littrell is content to stay in Denton for another season, we might be able to lure Harrell away.
RedRiverLa
SFAXE93 said:

When football season is over and you wonder who your new head coach will be.

How did someone get pictures of me trying to still figure out what I saw after the Southwestern Assemblies of God b-ball game.
Lumberjack Battalion
Lumberjacks make great US Army Special Ops Officers - AxeEm!
SFAJack_76
Good work Tall Texan.
TallTexan
SFAJack_76 said:

Good work Tall Texan.
Thanks, I appreciate it.
SFA Jack Fanatic
TallTexan said:

Excellent work Texan. I also really, really like your last-minute pick over on the Premium Forum.
TallTexan
edstile said:

TallTexan said:

Excellent work Texan. I also really, really like your last-minute pick over on the Premium Forum.
Thanks Ed. Woke up this morning and couldn't stop thinking about it so decided to write it out.

I love the strategy behind college coaching hires(and also college presidents), so it's been fun trying to picture what the different scenarios are that might play out.
Jacks4460
Awsome work Texan!!
SFAXE93
I want to see this next season in purple

SFAJack_76
TallTexan said:

1A. Jeff Traylor: Arkansas' season ends Friday, November 23. No bowl game.

1B. Curtis Luper: TCU's season ends Saturday, November 24. They need a win against OSU to be bowl eligible. The game is in Fort Worth. The Frogs are down to their third string QB.

2.Will Hall: Memphis' regular season ends Friday, November 23. A win at home over Houston puts them in the December 1, conference championship. They are bowl eligible.

3. Colby Carthel: A&M-Commerce could be playing as late as December 15, although Tarleton has to be favored to end their season this Saturday.

4. Matt Moore: Troy has their final game Saturday, November 24, against Appalachian State. If they win, they play in the Sunbelt Conference championship game on December 1. Not sure of the official line, but I think the home team App. State would be slightly favored. At 9-2, Troy is bowl eligible.

Bonus Coach: Graham Harrell. UNT has their final game at UTSA on Saturday, November 24. Bowl eligible. Out of the running for the CUSA championship game on December 1.

With the comment from Ivey that he wanted to have the new coach by the first week of December, I decided to add a little timeline information to TallTexans' good work. Since I don't think a bowl game keeps any assistant from leaving for a HC job, all except Carthel would be definitely be available not later than December 2. Traylor, and maybe Carthel and/or Moore and/or Hall, would be available by November 25.

Of course, it could be someone not on this list.

FWIW
TallTexan
The Dec 1st date makes me think he already has someone in mind, and we could even speculate that it's someone who for sure will be available.

It's not totally out of the ordinary to hire someone who's in a bowl, even if they coach in the bowl game.

It is unusual for a head coach who's still in their respective playoffs to be announced as coach.
SFASawmillGuy
Gene Chizik. First order of business will be to offer his son a full ride. Lead SFA to a national title upset next season against the Bison of North Dakota state. SFA carries that momentum into all sports and wins the SLC in every single sport, including a final four appearance in basketball lead by the comeback player of the year TJ Holyfield.

SFA impresses so much the Big 12 comes calling, as well as an anonymous doner who donates enough money for SFA to build a new 35,000 seat football stadium for the new conference, which gets sold out every game.

SFA builds a rivalry with UT and Sam Houston State, amidst a series of violations that are found out to have occurred over the past 8 years, is given the college football death penalty and drops into obscurity in the FCS while UIW takes over as the top SLC team.

Or you know, maybe not. I'm not a fortune teller.
sfajack05
I would absolutely love to have Coach Traylor come to SFA but not sure if SFA can afford him.

Plus with Texas State firing their coach they will probably be going after Traylor and could offer him more money.
TallTexan
SFA_03 said:

Gene Chizik. First order of business will be to offer his son a full ride. Lead SFA to a national title upset next season against the Bison of North Dakota state. SFA carries that momentum into all sports and wins the SLC in every single sport, including a final four appearance in basketball lead by the comeback player of the year TJ Holyfield.

SFA impresses so much the Big 12 comes calling, as well as an anonymous doner who donates enough money for SFA to build a new 35,000 seat football stadium for the new conference, which gets sold out every game.

SFA builds a rivalry with UT and Sam Houston State, amidst a series of violations that are found out to have occurred over the past 8 years, is given the college football death penalty and drops into obscurity in the FCS while UIW takes over as the top SLC team.

Or you know, maybe not. I'm not a fortune teller.
I'll sign up for this reality.
TallTexan
sfajack05 said:

I would absolutely love to have Coach Traylor come to SFA but not sure if SFA can afford him.

Plus with Texas State firing their coach they will probably be going after Traylor and could offer him more money.
They should have hired Traylor when they interviewed last time. What does their coach make?

And anyways, Keeler's the man for that job.
SFAJack_76
Withers was making $700k.

https://www.star-telegram.com/sports/college/big-12/texas-christian-university/article219432140.html
TallTexan
SFAJack_76 said:

Withers was making $700k.

https://www.star-telegram.com/sports/college/big-12/texas-christian-university/article219432140.html

Wow.

I could run a losing program for half that.
nacluth
I grew up closely studying the Danny White era Cowboys. I could run that program for a cool $100K. Just saying Ivey. Save some money.
cboothe09
Either Whitten or Carthel will be available this weekend. Tarleton State faces A&M-Commerce...
SFASawmillGuy
cboothe09 said:

Either Whitten or Carthel will be available this weekend. Tarleton State faces A&M-Commerce...

That might actually be a game worth watching.
cboothe09
Should be a very good game. Tarleton has been the better team this season and has home field advantage here. I dont see the Lions going back-to-back...
SFASawmillGuy
I wonder if we would've beat Tarleton not just because we had a bad year. This Tarleton could've beaten a good FCS team and that FCS team could've still had a good season.
TallTexan
nacluth said:

I grew up closely studying the Danny White era Cowboys. I could run that program for a cool $100K. Just saying Ivey. Save some money.
That's very kind of you to take a paycut from the guitar making business to help the university out.

I only have one question. Do you know the touchdown play?
TallTexan
SFA_03 said:

I wonder if we would've beat Tarleton not just because we had a bad year. This Tarleton could've beaten a good FCS team and that FCS team could've still had a good season.
I'm honestly kind of glad we didn't have to find out.
SFAJack_76
TallTexan said:

sfajack05 said:

They should have hired Traylor when they interviewed last time. What does their coach make?

And anyways, Keeler's the man for that job.
Some of the names being floated for the Texas State job include Carthel, Harrell, Keller, and UIW coach Eric Morris.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.