New Head Coach search.

132,751 Views | 457 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by corleycl
TallTexan
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I'd pay good money for any hint of what direction Ivey is heading on this search.
BigJack85
I think we are going to be surprised....
Axe 'Em Jacks - Class of 85'
TallTexan
BigJack85 said:

Ooh, a surprise, we're getting Nick Saban aren't we?
SFASawmillGuy
TallTexan said:

BigJack85 said:

I hear Bill Bellichick is getting tired of the nfl, wants to head down somewhere and coach college football. Preferably a place where he can wear all the purple he wants.
TallTexan
SFA_03 said:

TallTexan said:

BigJack85 said:

I hear Bill Bellichick is getting tired of the nfl, wants to head down somewhere and coach college football. Preferably a place where he can wear all the purple he wants.
Well I suppose we could give him a shot, but can he really handle the FCS level with the 25 team playoffs?
Jacks4460
I talked to Ryan for 15 min or so on Tuesday and he didn't mention any names to me but I did get this from him...

I asked what was the biggest thing you were looking for when choosing our next coach? His response was"to find a coach that can communicate with the young student athletes we have now a days". Finding someone that can motivate the kids in the classroom and on the field... I came away from the conversation thinking it might be the coach from Austin Peay.. Just my gut feeling...
TallTexan
Jacks4460 said:

I talked to Ryan for 15 min or so on Tuesday and he didn't mention any names to me but I did get this from him...

I asked what was the biggest thing you were looking for when choosing our next coach? His response was"to find a coach that can communicate with the young student athletes we have now a days". Finding someone that can motivate the kids in the classroom and on the field... I came away from the conversation thinking it might be the coach from Austin Peay.. Just my gut feeling...
He'd definitely fit that mold.

I'm just excited to see this wrap up to be honest.

And I hope we put a lot of our production expertise into selling whomever we hire as "the answer." Hype video, the whole nine yards.

Our students, fan base, and donors need to be encouraged.
TallTexan
Also, FWIW, the bearkats in my family want us to hire Keeler.
SFA2000
new braunfels ? maybe someone at Texas State?
TallTexan
SFA2000 said:

new braunfels ? maybe someone at Texas State?
Oh goodness i hope not. Hopefully that's a business trip lol.

Interestingly enough, a maker of Tonneau pickup covers landed in Nac the other day. I wonder if they're looking for a new manufacturing location.
SFAJack_76
Texas State has serious issues that go beyond the fired HC. Nobody on that staff piques my interest.

Healy is a good one. My concern is that he had zero Texas ties.

Arkansas is getting crushed by Missouri, so Traylor's season will be over in about an hour.

Memphis beat UH qualifying for the AAC championship game, so Hall would most likely be busy for another week.
Jacks4460
SFAJack_76 said:

Texas State has serious issues that go beyond the fired HC. Nobody on that staff piques my interest.

Healy is a good one. My concern is that he had zero Texas ties.

Arkansas is getting crushed by Missouri, so Traylor's season will be over in about an hour.

Memphis beat UH qualifying for the AAC championship game, so Hall would most likely be busy for another week.
I am with you 76 on the Texas ties... If he hired me to be a part of his team I would establish those ties for him and build relationships with the THSCA.. Just like Bob Shipley does at UT... I told Ryan that also..
SFAJack_76
I will put in a good word for you with Ivey next time I see him.
Jacks4460
Thanks 76.. I have no doubt in my ability to help us build a winning football program.. It's all about creating relationships and being true to your word...I would be a very valuable asset to our team..I have already made $$$ in the business world and now I wanna help young kids get a degree and succeed in life along the way win some rings while doing it..
Jacks4460
Allright we will see if it's Carthel.. I saw they lost to Tarleton today..
SFAJack_76
I may have missed him, but I did not see Ivey at the Ladyjack game today. He has not missed very many athletic events.

It sounds like Kliff Kingsbury is about to be available. That opening will start some dominoes falling.
Jacks4460
SFAJack_76 said:

I may have missed him, but I did not see Ivey at the Ladyjack game today. He has not missed very many athletic events.

It sounds like Kliff Kingsbury is about to be available. That opening will start some dominoes falling.

I bet he was I Ft Worth waiting to talk to Carthel more about the job..
AxeEm99
I'm ready for Carthel!!! Hopefully we will no soon!
BigJack85
I imagine it will be late next week. Carthel looks like a good coach. We'll see....
Axe 'Em Jacks - Class of 85'
1986jack
One name linked to Ivey and to Texas as a head coach is Josh Eargle. Former East Texas Baptist head coach was named Coach of the Year after turning around ETBU in three years. He was in the mix at Austin Peay and ended up joining the staff as the o line coach. This year he took over play calling duties. He's coached every level and has those valuable Texas ties. He also played at Memphis with Ivey.
Jacks4460
1986jack said:

One name linked to Ivey and to Texas as a head coach is Josh Eargle. Former East Texas Baptist head coach was named Coach of the Year after turning around ETBU in three years. He was in the mix at Austin Peay and ended up joining the staff as the o line coach. This year he took over play calling duties. He's coached every level and has those valuable Texas ties. He also played at Memphis with Ivey.

Great info 1986...
SFAJack_76
Interesting resume'

Eargle's Resume
College: Memphis, 2001 (public relations)
Coaching

• 2003-04 Southern Miss (graduate assistant)
  • 2005 Ouachita Baptist (offensive line coach/recruiting coordinator)
  • 2006 Southern Miss (assistant offensive line coach)
  • 2007-08 Nicholls State (offensive line coach)
  • 2009 Louisiana State (assistant offensive line coach)
  • 2010 Arkansas-Monticello (offensive coordinator)
  • 2011 Hallsville (Texas) High School
  • 2012 Southeastern Oklahoma State (defensive coordinator)
  • 2013-15 East Texas Baptist (head coach)
cboothe09
ETBU people love what he did for the school and how he turned around the program. Unfortunately they said defense was optional at best under his tenure...
cboothe09
MasterAxe
Wild thought:

Why not someone from the power FCS programs, like Montana, North Dakota State, South Dakota State, James Madison etc...

I know we talk about "Texas roots," but if we really want to change the culture, why not look at these OC/DC folks from proven winning cultures.

I'm 100% on board if you tell me the OC from North Dakota State is our guy.

These top tier FCS programs have to have guys willing and able to take a program of their own.
CertifiedAxeman98
TAM-commerce lost this weekend so Carthel is available now. I have seen a lot of interesting names on this forum. Hope Ivey makes a good hire. Bad hires are typically a 3 year set back at minimum.
TallTexan
MasterAxe said:

Wild thought:

Why not someone from the power FCS programs, like Montana, North Dakota State, South Dakota State, James Madison etc...

I know we talk about "Texas roots," but if we really want to change the culture, why not look at these OC/DC folks from proven winning cultures.

These top tier FCS programs have to have guys willing and able to take a program of their own.
I'm not opposed and Ivey's MO seems to be hiring up and comers from winning organizations. Plus, you could hire Texas connected coordinators to bring home the state.
TallTexan
Here's how I see it at this point. Ivey has to make the right hire, not just the splashy one. So at the end of the day he could hire a high school position coach and if he's the right hire for the job it'll work out in our favor.

But with Mack to UNC, Miles to Kansas, talk of the Pirate back to Tech, Edwards to ASU last year, it's obvious that big time AD's calculus has changed. They've gone from hiring the next best up and coming option to looking to guys who've been out of coaching for a few years.

I have to wonder if that opens up the market for us a bit, with guys like Traylor, Harrell, etc, who thought they might be in line for a promotion sooner rather than later. Maybe we get to hire above our weight this time because the market up top has changed.

But like I said, doesn't matter who it is, what level their currently on, so long as it's the right hire to build the program.
cboothe09
Coaching season will be interesting this year...

The Mack to UNC talk took an interesting twist with Chizik and Kingsbury being floated as DC and OC respectively.

Texas State opening also throws a wrench into our search, as I think we are looking at similar candidates. That said, the news out of San Marcos isn't good right now...

As for going out of state, I'm open to the idea, but it is the high school coaches that have to be won over, and that isn't easy for an out-of-state guy to do (See: Charlie Strong). Even Conque struggled with that aspect, and he really alienated a lot of East Texas coaches. Needless to say, the next guy needs to have some ties to those guys and help rebuild that relationship.
Jacks4460
cboothe or someone in a liaison position / recruiting cord.. Like Bob Shipley does at UT.. I am that connection... I agree getting in good with the THSC is the main thing to recruiting... Even 4* and 5* kids don't work out at the first big school they go to and they usually always go to their HS coach for advice and help finding a new school...Then they refer them to whomever they see is best fit for advancing the kid...
SFA Jack Fanatic
cboothe09 said:

Texas State opening also throws a wrench into our search, as I think we are looking at similar candidates. That said, the news out of San Marcos isn't good right now...

What's the news from San Maros?

Another random thought... UIW did well in landing Tech's former OC. I'm sure their current OC will soon be available, too. Who is he and would he be a viable candidate here?
TallTexan
cboothe09 said:

Coaching season will be interesting this year...

The Mack to UNC talk took an interesting twist with Chizik and Kingsbury being floated as DC and OC respectively.

As for going out of state, I'm open to the idea, but it is the high school coaches that have to be won over, and that isn't easy for an out-of-state guy to do (See: Charlie Strong). Even Conque struggled with that aspect, and he really alienated a lot of East Texas coaches. Needless to say, the next guy needs to have some ties to those guys and help rebuild that relationship.
Much like Mack's assistants, assistants will be key with whomever we hire. We need assistants who can help facilitate relationships, recruit and develop, and coach at a high level. One guy can't carry the whole team.

You can winover HS coaches as an outsider, Mack was excellent at that. Someone with the right relationship skills from out of state could do it as well. We definitely need to stake our claim for East Texas though. We can build a winning foundation between Dallas, Houston, and East Texas that could rival what the best FCS schools roll out.
SFAJack_76
I don't think the process is changed. There are always a couple of retreads. Whether they get out for a few years for personal reasons, or get pushed out, football defines them. Ego drives them. They crave the spotlight. Miles and Brown were always going to coach at least one more time.

Leach will never go back to Tech. That bridge is long burned. The latest hot name for that job is Dana Holgorsen, although that may or may not have legs. Believe it is not, the latest name for Texas State is Kendal Briles.

I have no idea which way we go. Probably some of the names we have floated are potentials. None of us knows who has inquired about the job, so it may be a name we have not thought about. I do believe Ivey knows exactly what he is looking for. He is two for two in HC hires. I trust him to continue his perfect record.
HitSomeBody
MasterAxe said:

Wild thought:

Personally, I believe the main guy needs to be a winner. Someone whose leadership style and intangibles pours out winning in every aspect. If this guy is from out of state then so be it.

If we go with out of state hire then it is imperative he hires assistants that are hungry to be better and have Texas ties to THS coaches. There is a wealth of talent in East Texas and not enough room for all of them to be at the FBS level so we should become the place players want to be when the FBS rosters are full. Even with strong Texas ties and good relational skills we can steal a FBS player or two.

An example is Matt Rule. He is from up north and the first thing he did was hire three highly known and valuable Texas High School head coaches to get him into Texas. It's not that he is a miracle maker but going from 1-11 to 6-6 is improvement and he would not have done it on his own or by bringing with him all his out of state assistants. He did bring a few he trusted the most. But, he knew he had to get inroads to Texas and that is why on day 2 he hires those THS coaches.
Axe'Em Jacks
TallTexan
HitSomeBody said:

MasterAxe said:

Wild thought:

Personally, I believe the main guy needs to be a winner. Someone whose leadership style and intangibles pours out winning in every aspect. If this guy is from out of state then so be it.

If we go with out of state hire then it is imperative he hires assistants that are hungry to be better and have Texas ties to THS coaches. There is a wealth of talent in East Texas and not enough room for all of them to be at the FBS level so we should become the place players want to be when the FBS rosters are full. Even with strong Texas ties and good relational skills we can steal a FBS player or two.

An example is Matt Rule. He is from up north and the first thing he did was hire three highly known and valuable Texas High School head coaches to get him into Texas. It's not that he is a miracle maker but going from 1-11 to 6-6 is improvement and he would not have done it on his own or by bringing with him all his out of state assistants. He did bring a few he trusted the most. But, he knew he had to get inroads to Texas and that is why on day 2 he hires those THS coaches.
Yep, and Matt Rhule basically had to build a program from the ground up.

Even if we hire the most Texan coach out there, we're still oghttps://www.amazon.com/x360-Touchscreen-Convertible-Intel-i7-8550U/dp/B076TYH7GNoing to need good assistants who live and breath Texas football, who know how to win, and know how to build relationships. A staff with energy.

That's the thing about good football programs at every level. The HC hires people to make sure he's not the smartest guy in the room, because if you are, it means your staff sucks. It'll be all hands on deck if we're going to turn this around.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.