Southland Basketball

100,892 Views | 411 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by cboothe09
cboothe09
How long do you want to ignore this user?
If I had to rank the teams after two weeks (Crazy thing to do):

1. SFA
2. Lamar
HUGE GAP
3. Nicholls
4. Central Arkansas
5. Abilene Christian
6. Sam Houston
7. Southeastern
8. UIW
9. Houston Baptist
10. New Orleans
11. Northwestern State
12. A&M-CC
13. McNeese
No-look
Just saw where Lamar is up by 13 on UTEP with a minute to go.
nacluth
I think you got the top two right. I think you have way overrated Nicholls despite their prolific offense. Their defense is just too prolific. New Orleans has played solid games despite their roster turnover. No big wins, no big losses. SELA looks like a team to buy during conference play.
INiedrauer
Staff
Josh Ibarra is an absolute animal for HBU. It might not show up against some of the bigger teams they're playing but he'll crush SLC teams.
-
Isaac Niedrauer
@INiedrauer

PurpleOut
Staff
UTEP is really bad. Still looks good on the road.

Tim Floyd resigned after the game.
nacluth
Nice article on SI about Jordan Howard.

Jordan Howard is better than Steph Curry

Actually I just named it that. It's really called something else.
Ryan
Kinnaird Guitars
SFA Jack Fanatic
nacluth said:

Nice article on SI about Jordan Howard.

Jordan Howard is better than Steph Curry

Actually I just named it that. It's really called something else.
Are you trying to steal Isaac's boyfriend?
nacluth
Ha. Actually I was poking a little fun myself.
nacluth
Lamar beat Coastal Carolina again...this time in overtime. HBU punished Texas State. I don't know if this has as much to do with HBU as for Texas St. I root for Kaspar, but his fifth year in really needs an upswing.
Ryan
Kinnaird Guitars
SFAXE93
Our SLC POY and SLC newcomer of the year hopefuls after 8 games.

TJ Holyfield PPG:18.4;RPG:8.0;BLK:11;STL:15;AST:5;FG%:.624;FG3:.500;FT%:.871
Shannon Bogues PPG:16.3;RPG:3.5;BLK:3;STL:16;AST:11;FG%:.505;FG3:.207;FT%:.870

Holyfield leads the team in

Minutes
FGM
FG%
3FG%
FT%
PTS
PPG
REB
RPG
BLK

nacluth
Sam's playing tight with Baylor tonight...oh wait, no they are not. Getting the doors blown off of them. It's ok because we know Baylor loses in the first round regardless of seeding. Every year.
cboothe09
UCA 76
San Francisco 78

UCA is 2014 NWST. Keep them under 80 and you win.
PurpleOut
Staff
Such a weird league. Look at scores tonight.

UCA is DESTROYING Cal right now (55-34)
HBU, who just beat DK and Texas State lost to St. Peter's
TAMUCC lost to UTRGV
ACU gets a solid win at Air Force
nacluth
UCA apparently loves playing in California.
cboothe09
It was a big night for the Southland.
SFA over Louisiana Tech 85-83
Abilene Christian over Air Force 62-58
Central Arkansas over Cal 96-69

There were also a couple of failures...
Saint Peters over Houston Baptist 76-74
UT Rio Grand Valley over TAMU Corpus Christi 82-78
cboothe09
Big name win for UCA, and nice for the league, but Cal is bad. Cal lost to Chaminade 96-72. Also has an embarrassing loss to UC-Riverside...
TallTexan
nacluth said:

UCA apparently loves playing in California.
They're thinking about moving to the LA area, going to be UC Anaheim.
cboothe09
Looks like it is setting up for the Southland to have another good day tomorrow...

Rice @ SFA - SFA
Texas State @ Abilene Christian - ACU
Howard Payne @ Lamar - Lamar
McNeese @ North Texas - UNT
Northwestern State @ Louisiana College - NWST
Little Rock @ Central Arkansas - UCA
Houston Baptist @ UTSA - UTSA (Should be the best game of the bunch)
SFAXE93
Kevon Harris PPG:17.5;RPG:6.1;AST:5;BLK:2;STL:13;FG%:.513;3PTFG:.452;FT%:.73

Last Two Games
PPG:28;RPG:6.0;FG:.744;3PTFG%:.864 (11-14) FT%:75

cboothe09
Picked all of the games right, but it turns out TXST/ACU was the best with ACU winning 72-68. HBU got trounced by UTSA 87-71...
cboothe09
New Power Rankings:
1. SFA - The most consistent team, and has bigger wins than anyone else
2. Lamar - SFA may be the most consistent, but Lamar isn't far behind. Not the most challenging schedule, but they have beaten the teams they are supposed to, and impressively at that.
3. Southeastern Louisiana - Not the prettiest of starts, but since their win over Kent State, they have picked things up. A game against UCF should tell us a little more.
4. Central Arkansas - The win over Cal was nice, and playing close to UCLA opened eyes early. Losses to Little Rock, San Francisco, and Tulsa leave for hesitation. They are inconsistent, but when they are on, they are as good as anyone.
5. Abilene Christian - Good ACU includes a win over Air Force, Bowling Green, and Texas State. Bad ACU loses to South Carolina - Upstate. I think they are going to be good, and a tough out.
6. Nicholls - Nobody is doubting Nicholls offensively, but like the 2014 edition of Northwestern State, there is no defense. I think the Colonels will be a tough out in a lot of games, but a decent defense should do enough to slow them down.
7. New Orleans - After a bad start, the wins aren't coming in, but the Privateers are more competitive.
8. Sam Houston - Another hard team to get a feel for. The Kats haven't played a hard schedule and have lost to the opponents with a pulse. Their wins come over UT-Tyler, Hardin Simmons, Santa Clara, Schreiner College, and St. Thomas. Santa Clara is their only win away from Huntsville (In Anchorage).
9. Houston Baptist - Hard to tell with this team. They have played a brutal schedule, but they have not been competitive in any of their games outside of an okay win over Texas State.
10. Northwestern State - The Demons are showing a pulse. Their schedule is still weak, but they have been somewhat better lately.
11. TAMU-CC - No Thomas, no Amin, no luck. They are not the same team they were a year ago, and it is going to take some time.
12. Incarnate Word - They are yet to defeat a DI opponent this year, as their 4-3 record is very deceiving. Already spanked by Houston and Gonzaga, look for another epic beating when the Cardinals go to Florida.
13. McNeese - The Cowboys are not good right now. Their losses have been bad, and their wins aren't over good teams.
nacluth
Power rankings seem legit for SELA. They just played UCF to the very end holding the lead late, but lost in the final minute when they couldn't make the shots. UCF recently beat Alabama and lost to both Missouri and St John's by 3. It would have been a huge win for SELA. Maybe the Southland won't be that much of a cakewalk.
SFA Jack Fanatic
Louisiana Tech lost another home game, this one to Louisiana-Lafayette 75-71.
nacluth
Ole Miss has been beaten by several midmajors this year, Sam will not be one of them.
cboothe09
Ole Miss 82 - Sam 69

Never really in doubt. Rebels led by 20 at one point in the second half, and held a double digit lead most of the night. UNO lost to SMU 79-66.
SFA Jack Fanatic
cboothe09 said:

Ole Miss 82 - Sam 69

Never really in doubt. Rebels led by 20 at one point in the second half, and held a double digit lead most of the night. UNO lost to SMU 79-66.
Any night that Prison Tech loses (in any sport, but especially men's hoops) is a good night for me.
cboothe09
SFA carrying the banner tonight. McNeese is throttled by Pitt and Southeastern is shocked by Grambling. UIW currently battling to the final whistle with UMKC...
PurpleOut
Staff
Demons lost to LSU-Shreveport...again.
cboothe09
SFA (@ LSU), UIW (vs. UMKC), and Nicholls (vs. Culver-Stockton) are the only SLC schools to win...McNeese (@ Pitt), SELA (vs. Grambling), NWST (VS. LSU-SHREVEPORT), and UNO (@ Louisiana) all are the epitome of brutality...

Some fun SLC games coming up Monday and Tuesday.
Monday:
HBU @ #2 Michigan State - Ouch
Nicholls @ Tulane - Interesting
Tuesday:
Corpus @ Ole Miss - Interesting
NWST @ Oklahoma - OUCH
Lamar @ Duquesne - Interesting
Sam @ LSU - Interesting, Sam loses but a measuring stick
SFA @ Mizzou - *Grins and giggles*
UIW @ UTEP - Interesting
cboothe09
Every time I think they are starting to show signs of life and ready to make a jump, they poop the bed...They are bad. Tuesday's game @ Oklahoma is going to be UGLY
SFA Jack Fanatic
PurpleOut said:

Demons lost to LSU-Shreveport...again.
In NSU's defense (and I hate to defend either NSU or Prison Tech), LSU-S is the #2 ranked NAIA team in the country, and all of their players are transfers with experience at other schools.
nacluth
Ok 3 games played by some of our stiffest SLC opponents today. All losses for the SLC.

Abilene lost a tight game away to a really good Lipscomb team. The fact that it was so tight is a good statement by ACU.

C. Arkansas lost to Morehead St. away after beating them at home earlier this year. UCA scored 20 in the first half, but followed it up with 58 in the second to force OT, and then lost. Kind of on par with their season so far.

Lamar lost away to a very decent So. Illinois team. However, if Lamar wants to remain in the same conversation as SFA in the Southland, this was a game they needed. Obviously conference play is less than two weeks away, but this was really the clear separating weekend for SFA in the perception of our conference.
Ryan
Kinnaird Guitars
cboothe09
I don't think the next 48 hours run much better for the Southland. There are some epic beatings coming in the next two days...Looking at you HBU, Northwestern, and Sam...
cboothe09
Tonight's Southland results:
#2 Michigan State 107 - HBU 62
Tulane 76 - Nicholls 69
New Orleans 107 - Panhandle State 59
PurpleOut
Staff
Brutal loss for Nicholls. They dominated Tulane in the first (45-28 halftime lead) and got dominated worse in the second.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.