Southland Basketball

94,965 Views | 411 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by cboothe09
sfa17
How long do you want to ignore this user?
sfa17
PurpleOut
Staff
Danny Garrick has recommitted to Nicholls State.

Also note that Nicholls promoted an assistant to head coach, which is probably the reasoning behind Garricks decision.
PurpleOut
Staff
Nicholls State picks up a transfer from West Virginia. Didn't play really, and formerly transferred from Navarro CC.

https://bluegoldnews.com/west-virginia-mountaineers/dangelo-hunter-reportedly-transferring-to-nicholls-state/
PurpleOut
Staff
Also a good tip for anyone interested in other SLC commits/offers, following the Verbal Commits conference page will update every school when something happens.

http://verbalcommits.com/conferences/southland

SFAJack_76
nacluth
Big move up. Good for him.
PurpleOut
Staff
Caraher could end up being really good. I don't remember exactly what happened, but he was committed to Butler for a long time. Then somehow ended up at HBU.
Wildcat1997
Seeing the attrition at other SLC schools it makes me realize that ACU has been pretty fortunate to not have players transfer out.
No-look
Saw where Lamar got a top 100 juco player.
SFAJack_76
PurpleOut
Staff
Nicholls new recruiting "strategy" is giving their kids "contracts." Good effort I guess.

TallTexan

No-look
Saw where SELA got a 3 star 6'7" out of Mississippi. Southland will be very competitive again. Lamar scares me the most. They will have a guard (former Ozen) that transferred from Arizona St. I think.
PurpleOut
Staff
No-look said:

Saw where SELA got a 3 star 6'7" out of Mississippi. Southland will be very competitive again. Lamar scares me the most. They will have a guard (former Ozen) that transferred from Arizona St. I think.
Jordan Hunter is the transfer you are talking about, from New Mexico not ASU. He's good, but Lamar loses a ton, most of the best players from last season (Weisbrod, Bosha, Harrison, Frenchwood). They do return Garth, who we basically refused to guard.
PurpleOut
Staff
I'll have my 2018-2018 "Too Early" Power Rankings out fairly soon.
SFAJack_76
I think something like this would be good for the SLC.

nacluth
An SLC vs C-USA would be nice. We probably match up better against the Sun Belt, but I would sure like to pull a little higher.
TallTexan
SFAJack_76 said:

I think something like this would be good for the SLC.

I know the SLC is working on it but are having trouble finding a partner. I'd sure love to see us matchup with CUSA.
sfa17
SFA vs Middle Tennessee ,SFA vs WKU would be nice.
we already beat La tech
SFAJack_76

Picked Nevada over Wichita State and Tech.
sfa17
Transfer U Strike again. Nevada is going have like 7 guys who previously average double digit points
TallTexan
sfa17 said:

Transfer U Strike again. Nevada us going have like 7 guys who previously average double digit points
It's definitely an interesting strategy for program building.
sfa17
Yep but it seems to be working. They are a consensus top 15 team next season . They are on every single preseason poll. Might be their coach's last season

These are the newcomers to a team that already went to an elite 8. They are also in the final 3 list of the last 5 star recruit left in 2018
cboothe09
The most likely partner will be the SWAC...
TallTexan
cboothe09 said:

The most likely partner will be the SWAC...

From an SFA perspective, I'd rather play up for our schedule. From a conference perspective, an SLC/SWAC challenge could be entertaining.
SFASawmillGuy
If the entire conference was near our level of play, I would say the C-USA would be a good conference to match up with. But as it stands, the SLC outside of SFA is generally not going to match up with any of those schools.

The SWAC would be interesting but I think the SWAC is actually a much lower tier conference than the SLC. Maybe the Missouri Valley or the Big Sky would be the best bet. Very competitive for everyone in the conference and still gives us potential tournament teams to play.
sfa17
SLC/SWAC is a no no for me. Their conference is ranked dead last. If that is the only option then we are better off just not doing it.. MVC is already partnered with Mountain west unfortunately
SFAJack_76
sfa17 said:

SLC/SWAC is a no no for me. Their conference is ranked dead last. If that is the only option then we are better off just not doing it.. MVC is already partnered with Mountain west unfortunately
SWAC RPI of 32 out of 32 conferences. SLC RPI of 29. SLC not exactly playing from a power position.

I don't like the SWAC/SLC match either, but what conference would play down to the SLC?
cboothe09
I'm not a fan of the SLC/SWAC matchup either, but it's a regional matchup between two similarly ranked conferences. Not sure what other conference would work. Maybe Sun Belt?
sfa17
The conference around us

http://realtimerpi.com/rpi_conf_Men.html
http://realtimerpi.com/rpi_sland_Men.html
nacluth
Well the Sun Belt isn't all that better than us. Also, if we jettison our two lowest teams for a 11 team competition, we would match up fine. Don't think it helps us overall, but it would be fun.
Ryan
Kinnaird Guitars
SFAJack_76
I'm thinking Ivy League. Imagine Harvard coming to Nacogdoches, Texas. Or Yale. Maybe George W. comes to see his alma mater play.
BigJack85
I am still mystified that the SLC collectively invites UIW, ACU and HBU in one fell swoop. In retrospect it would have made sense to add ACU skip HBU and UIW. UIW and HBU belong in the WAC.

If we had added only ACU then the next logical step would have been to add Tarleton. A little more elegant than the crappy lineup we have now.
Axe 'Em Jacks - Class of 85'
SFA Jack Fanatic
BigJack85 said:

I am still mystified that the SLC collectively invites UIW, ACU and HBU in one fell swoop. In retrospect it would have made sense to add ACU skip HBU and UIW. UIW and HBU belong in the WAC.

Mostly in agreement, except that UIW and HBU belong where they came from -- D-II. Had to be some under-the-table money exchanged to make that happen. I'm convinced that some fat cat university presidents and others got richer as a result.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.