Southland Basketball

94,926 Views | 411 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by cboothe09
nacluth
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Essentially all the top half teams played the bottom half teams tonight. The top half teams won all their games. Hopefully that holds true tomorrow.

Lamar snuck by NWST; Sam squeaked by Corpus; Nicholls edged ACU.
nacluth
Who in the top 6 teams has a chance to fall today?

HBU @ Nicholls
Lamar @ Sam
SELA @ McNeese
New Orleans @ Corpus Christi
NWST @ SFA
Ryan
Kinnaird Guitars
BigJack85
I think it's New Orleans. Corpus is sneaky and could be a surprise down the stretch
Axe 'Em Jacks - Class of 85'
nacluth
Totally agree.
Ryan
Kinnaird Guitars
SFA Jack Fanatic
BigJack85 said:

I think it's New Orleans. Corpus is sneaky and could be a surprise down the stretch
I agree, too. And Lamar could very well lose on the road to Sam. That Lamar win over the Jacks just had to be an optical illusion played on us by some psychotic Lamar magician professor.
nacluth
Top 5 teams win again. No upsets this week in the Southland.

And you know NWST and Incarnate Word are wondering when they are ever going to play each other.
PurpleOut
Staff
Watched the end of the Lamar-Sam game. Lamar really gave that one up. Had a 4 point lead under a minute to play.

Wednesday is going to be huge:

UNO at SLU
Sam at Nicholls
And us at Corpus scares me still
TallTexan
nacluth said:

Top 5 teams win again. No upsets this week in the Southland.

And you know NWST and Incarnate Word are wondering when they are ever going to play each other.

At this rate, in the Lonestar conference in a few years.
cboothe09
I think the top eight are pretty well set. Corpus (5-7) might play their way in, but I doubt it. Not a lot of huge matchups this week. UNO has to go to SLU, so someone in front of us will lose there. Nicholls has a tough week in general. First up will be Sam in Thibodaux on Wednesday, before going to Conway on Saturday.

Standings:
Nicholls 10-2
Sam Houston 10-3
SLU 10-3
New Orleans 10-3
SFA 9-3
UCA 7-5
ACU 7-6
Lamar 7-6

Wed:
HBU @ Northwestern State
McNeese @ UCA
UNO @ SLU
SFA @ Corpus
UIW @ Lamar
Sam @ Nicholls

Saturday:
Nicholls @ UCA
SFA @ UIW
McNeese @ UNO
Corpus @ Lamar
ACU @ SLU
Sam @ HBU
PurpleForever
Sam Houston had a shot down by one but blew it. SHSU is always trying to screw us some way or another.
nacluth
Nicholls tops Sam by a point. Sam got the ball with 6 seconds left to get the win, but inexplicably slow rolled their way up the court and tried a terrible runner as time expired. Anyway, SFA went from 5th to 3rd tonight. That season finale between Nicholls and SELA is looming huge.
cboothe09
Like I said in the CC thread, I like this loss for Sam more than Nicholls. Sam has @ HBU, UNO, @ UCA, and us to end on. Their toughest two are at home, and UCA is bipolar.
Nicholls has @ UCA, @ McNeese, UNO, @ Northwestern, @ SLU. I guarantee at least 2 losses there...
PurpleOut
Staff
We're sitting pretty solid right now. I think we're better than Nicholls, but our records are what they are. Can't sleep on them any longer, still agree that they have a tough schedule.

SLU has a sneaky tough game this weekend vs ACU as well.
TallTexan
cboothe09 said:

Like I said in the CC thread, I like this loss for Sam more than Nicholls. Sam has @ HBU, UNO, @ UCA, and us to end on. Their toughest two are at home, and UCA is bipolar.
Nicholls has @ UCA, @ McNeese, UNO, @ Northwestern, @ SLU. I guarantee at least 2 losses there...
I would doubt you but you're killing us all in the pick em contest, so I trust you on this prediction.
TallTexan
So how's the tie breaker work? If Nichols drops 1, and we win out, who wins the conference championship?
INiedrauer
Staff
TallTexan said:

So how's the tie breaker work? If Nichols drops 1, and we win out, who wins the conference championship?
Co-champions would be crowned. Seeding in Katy goes to who beat the better team twice. So best team we both played twice, who has the better record in the two games.
-
Isaac Niedrauer
@INiedrauer

nacluth
Tied records mean both teams with the conference championship. Since they've gone to a schedule where there's too many unbalanced schedules, they give co-championships often. All that matters is having the best record. If 3 teams have the best record, they are all regular season champs.

Tiebreakers only relate to seeding in the tournament. So we need Nicholls to take a loss to get us back into conference championship position.
Ryan
Kinnaird Guitars
cboothe09
I hate breaking this out because it is a little head spinning, but directly from southland.org:

3.03.04 Tournament Seeding.
Tournament seeding, 1 through 8, shall be based upon regular season winning percentage in Conference competition. A standard head-to-head tiebreaker shall be used.

3.03.04.01 Tie-breaker Procedure.
All ties shall be broken in the order in which they occur, from top to bottom, in the standings. When comparing tied teams against positions higher or lower in the standings that are also tied, these higher or lower tied positions shall be considered a single position for the purposes of comparison.

3.03.04.01.01 Tie Between Two Teams.
(a) If two (2) teams tie for a position, and one (1) team holds a head-to-head win-loss advantage after two games against one another, that team receives the higher seed.

(b) If two (2) teams tie for a position, and if the teams split their regular season games, or if they only played one game against each other, then the tied teams' won-loss results against the highestpositioned team(s) they both played twice shall be compared. This shall be continued through the final standings until one (1) team gains the advantage, thus the higher seed.

(c) In the event a tie cannot be broken in this manner, the tied team that holds a won-loss advantage against the other tied team, regardless of the number of games played, shall receive the higher seed.

(d) In the event a tie cannot be broken in this manner, the tied team that holds a won-loss advantage against the highest-positioned team(s), regardless of the number of times played, shall receive the higher seed. This shall be continued through the final standings until one (1) team gains the advantage, thus the higher seed. [5/13]

3.03.04.01.02 Tie Between Three or More Teams.
(a) If three (3) or more teams tie for a position, and the tied teams all played two games against one another, the combined record of each of the tied teams against the other teams involved in the tie shall be compared until a seeding advantage is
gained.

(b) If three (3) or more teams tie for a position, and if the teams combined to split their regular season games against one another, or if they played an uneven number of games against one another, then the tied teams' won-loss results against the next highest-positioned team(s) they all played twice shall be compared. This shall be continued through the final standings until one (1) team gains the advantage, thus the higher seed.

(c) If three (3) or more teams remain tied for a position, regardless of the number of games played against the other tied teams, any won-loss advantage in the combined pool of tied teams shall be used as a seeding tie-breaker. This shall continue through the order of final standings if necessary.

(d) In the event a tie cannot be broken in this manner, the tied team that holds a won-loss advantage against the highest-positioned team, regardless of the number of times played, shall receive the seeding advantage. This shall be continued through the final standings until one (1) team gains the advantage, thus the higher
seed. [5/13]

(e) In the event a three-way or more tie-breaker is reduced to two remaining tied teams, the tiebreaker reverts to the two-way system described in 3.03.04.01.01. [5/13]

3.03.04.01.03 Unbreakable Ties.
In the event a tie for seeding cannot be broken using game results, the team(s) involved in the tie rated best in The RPI Report by Collegiate Basketball News in effect on Sunday morning of the final day of regular-season shall be named the higher seed(s). If a tie for seeding still exists after evaluating the Collegiate Basketball News power rating, a drawing for seed position(s) shall be held by the commissioner. [2/04]
INiedrauer
Staff
To clarify because the first point confuses a lot of people: head to head only counts if the teams played twice.
-
Isaac Niedrauer
@INiedrauer

TallTexan
INiedrauer said:

To clarify because the first point confuses a lot of people: head to head only counts if the teams played twice.
We should go back to 10 teams & play a round robin, home & away conference slate.
SFA Jack Fanatic
TallTexan said:

INiedrauer said:

We should go back to 10 teams & play a round robin, home & away conference slate.
Yeah. Kick out UIW, HBU, and Prison Tech! That would cure multiple problems.
SFASawmillGuy
edstile said:

TallTexan said:

INiedrauer said:

Yeah. Kick out UIW, HBU, and Prison Tech! That would cure multiple problems.
UIW, HBU, and UNO because I keep forgetting they're even there.
PurpleOut
Staff
Doesn't look like we'll get any help today.
INiedrauer
Staff
New Orleans is our friend for the next two weeks.
-
Isaac Niedrauer
@INiedrauer

nacluth
All the top teams hold serve. And if you're wondering, I do not consider Sam a top team.
SFAXE93
I want the SLC Tourney Championship more than the regular season one.
"History has no rubbish heap." Louis Blake Duff
TallTexan
INiedrauer said:

New Orleans is our friend for the next two weeks.
I've already promised to stop talking bad about the Saints for a while if UNO helps us out, but I'll buy next year's King Cake for the team too if they help us out.
cboothe09
Leaders all win. Another big day looming Saturday where there will be guaranteed change.

On another note, Northwestern State defeats UIW in the pillow fight of the year...
nacluth
Northwestern State. The best worst team to never beat anyone who has a win.
nacluth
Incarnate Word says they are not going down without a fight. Up on Corpus at the half. Come on win #1!
cboothe09
I don't think this helps SLU for Saturday...https://t.co/xfdKefFCGj
SFAJack_76
cboothe09 said:

Both seniors and significant contributors. Poor choices indeed.

All that you hear about college athletes making poor choices, I don't recall SFA having any meaningful transgression. Proud of our young men and women.
nacluth
That is unbelievable. That is going to hurt them. If there were any more time, I would expect an SLC investigation that might keep them out of the tournament, but I bet they get to finish the year. Very disappointing for the team, college, and fan base.
SFA Jack Fanatic
SFAJack_76 said:

cboothe09 said:

Both seniors and significant contributors. Poor choices indeed.

All that you hear about college athletes making poor choices, I don't recall SFA having any meaningful transgression. Proud of our young men and women.

Carrington was averaging 7.8 ppg and 5.3 rpg, while Singleton was averaging 6.6 ppg.
TallTexan
nacluth said:

That is unbelievable. That is going to hurt them. If there were any more time, I would expect an SLC investigation that might keep them out of the tournament, but I bet they get to finish the year. Very disappointing for the team, college, and fan base.
I wonder what the SLC's plan is for this? Granted this hurts their competitiveness, but the SLC risks the chance that they could still win the tourney. That'd be terrible for the whole conference.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.