Southland Basketball

94,924 Views | 411 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by cboothe09
PurpleOut
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Staff
Side note that I'll put on this thread, I started a new Twitter account to cover Mid-Major and SLC hoops. Mostly for fun.

PurpleOut
Staff
Wait, NWST plays at OU tonight. Then at Utah tomorrow? Yikes.
SFA Jack Fanatic
PurpleOut said:

No problem. I donated blood yesterday.
TallTexan
edstile said:

PurpleOut said:

No problem. I donated blood yesterday.
Lol and you say I'm the comedian.
PurpleOut
Staff
BigJack85
I'm pretty much with you except for Sam. I think they are probably 4-5. They always seem to improve as conference season starts. I'm back on the "if we can go at least 16-2 in conference" train..... If we can really go 16-2 or17-1 we are a 13, 14 seed if we win the conference tournament.
Axe 'Em Jacks - Class of 85'
PurpleOut
Staff
This is only based on current play/games. Sams best win was in the final game of the Great Alaska Shootout over now 3-8 Santa Clara. They haven't been competitive in their other D1 games (other than a 2 point home win against 3-9 UALR). Just my opinion for now. Dewey is a very good PG.
cboothe09
Southland on 12/21:
HBU 48 - Vanderbilt 81
UNO 67 - UAB 74
Nicholls 96 - Mobile 52
Northwestern State 62 - Utah 84
UCA 82 - Oregon 96

Overall, it went about as expected. UNO played UAB really close, and led at one point in the second half, but was unable to get the win. Nicholls beat up on a bad team again. Northwestern was never really close against Utah.

The game that I was most interested in was the UCA/Oregon game. Jordan Howard went off for 35 points, which isn't crazy, but Oregon got on top and stayed there throughout. UCA never was a threat to win, but it doesn't seem like they were ever really blown out. They just kind of kept things even after falling behind early. A dangerous team, but not one I expect to contend for the Southland regular season title. They are a team I wouldn't want any piece of in the tournament...
PurpleOut
Staff
I watched most of it, they were within 10 fairly late in the game, so definitely didn't get blown out. But yeah also didn't really challenge them at the same point. While I still consider UCA to be a dark horse in the league (4th in my rankings), I think a decent defensive team can disrupt their offense. Their best games this year the opposing team played below average defense to bad defense (UCLA).
cboothe09
Meant to stay up and watch because I was really curious to how that one would play out. Been battling the flu this week and just didn't have the energy to stay up...I should have peeked in on that UAB/UNO game. UNO seems to be finding a rhythm now, after some struggles to start the year.

While I thought this would be a down year for the SLC, it doesn't appear to be that way. Other teams are picking up the slack from TAMU-CC and Sam Houston. Lamar seems to be the team everyone has been expecting a couple of years now. Southeastern has put it together. Abilene appears to be turning the corner. While not a solid mid-major, the Southland actually seems to be in better shape than it was last year.
INiedrauer
Staff
It would be really hard for the Southland to be worse than a year ago. It was just a bad league top to bottom in 16-17.
-
Isaac Niedrauer
@INiedrauer

SFASawmillGuy
INiedrauer said:

It would be really hard for the Southland to be worse than a year ago. It was just a bad league top to bottom in 16-17.
Which says a lot about us last year.
cboothe09
INiedrauer said:

Agreed, but there were a lot of question marks on where the Southland would improve outside of us and Lamar.
cboothe09
Halftime: SELU 29 - Notre Dame 37

Southeastern hanging tough, but Notre Dame is in full co tell here. I expect ND to put this one away quickly in the second half...
cboothe09
SELA 50 - Notre Dame 86
nacluth
11-2 ties best Southland start for SFA. Not bad Jacks.

A laid back game. Enjoy your Christmas. SELA away awaits.
Ryan
Kinnaird Guitars
SFAXE93
Now that the Non-Con. schedule is complete.

Scary thing is we get all these guys back next season as well.

#22 F: T.J. Holyfield PPG:15.5;RPG:7.0;AST:12;STL:25;BLK:14
FG%:.577;3FG%:.432;FT:.854

Leads team in
Minutes played (28.8)
FG%
Off Reb.
Def Reb.
Tot Reb.
BLK

#1 G/F: Kevon Harris PPG:18.0;RPG:6.0;AST:11;STL:18;BLK:2
FG%:.534;3FG%:.508;(22-31; 71% last 5 games);FT:.690

Leads team in
FGM
3PT
3PTA
3PT%
FTM
FTA
PTS
PPG

#5 G: Shannon Bogues PPG:15.0;RPG:3.1;AST:20;STL:21;BLK:3
FG%:.500;3FG%:.158;FT:.900

Leads team in
FGA
FT%
FGM (2nd)

#0 G: Aaron Augustin AST:51;APG:4.3;STL:27

Leads team in
AST
APG
STL

"History has no rubbish heap." Louis Blake Duff
INiedrauer
Staff
ACU got slaughtered at Texas Tech. They're so much better than the last couple years but clearly not ready for prime time.
-
Isaac Niedrauer
@INiedrauer

SFASawmillGuy
And if Keller keeps recruiting like he's been, SFA will just keep getting better.
nacluth
UIW trying to make Loyola Chicago not look all that special by being tied with Florida in the second half.

Lamar downed by UC Davis in California.
Ryan
Kinnaird Guitars
SFA Jack Fanatic
nacluth said:

UIW trying to make Loyola Chicago not look all that special by being tied with Florida in the second half.

Lamar downed by UC Davis in California.
UIW has added a big man who just became eligible, Konstantin Kulikov, a 7'0" center from Russia by way of San Jacinto College. In watching him play tonight against Florida, he did not look to be very agile nor handle the ball very well.
sfa17
sfa17
Mark my words, one day Jovan will score double digit points
SFASawmillGuy
Remember when he was recruited we thought Jovan was a steal?
SFA Jack Fanatic
SFAXE93 said:

Houston Baptist just released their schedule

@ Providence
@ Virginia Tech
@ Oklahoma State
@ Michigan State
@ Vanderbilt

I would love the Jacks to play a Mike Izzo team.
SFAXE93 posted the above before the season began. Thought I'd check out how that grand experiment played out...

Providence 84, HBU 55
VA Tech 99, HBU 73
OK State 101, HBU 74
Michigan State 107, HBU 62
Vanderbilt 81, HBU 48

Average drubbing: 32 points. If there's anything to be gained by a Big Boy Wannabe school like HBU playing a schedule like this, perhaps the painful lesson that the HBU coach learned from scheduling was the only thing.
cboothe09
They probably got enough money from this non-conference schedule to fund their program for a while...Heck they could probably build a better facility than their current one with the money made...

They also didn't show much of their hand going into conference play. Something tells me they make the tournament
nacluth
Probably right. But it raises an interesting question, in the first year that we have all 13 teams eligible (at least currently), which 5 teams don't make the tournament this year?

McNeese, Corpus, and NWST seem to lead the way. Who else? Sam (please, please, please), HBU, Nicholls?
Ryan
Kinnaird Guitars
SFA Jack Fanatic
cboothe09 said:

Heck they could probably build a better facility than their current one with the money made...

I don't know, I sort of like their little cracker box gym. Reminds me of when I played Jr. High ball.
SFASawmillGuy
NWST, HBU, McNeese, Corpus, and I'm gonna say Sam Houston but it's gonna be close.
PurpleOut
Staff
We'll be doing the SLC Power Rankings again this year. Detailed rankings later, but for now:

BigJack85
I think your rankings are solid. The only one that worries me is Abilene Christian
nacluth
Nicholls killing NWST. McNeese! handling UIW.
cboothe09
Southland Scores 12/28:
New Orleans 77 - Abilene Christian 74
Central Arkansas 81 - TAMU-Corpus Christi 69
McNeese 85 - Incarnate Word 62
Southeastern LA 73 - SFA 62
Lamar 86 - Houston Baptist 68
Nicholls 87 - Northwestern St. 46

Home team wins each matchup....
BigJack85
That we lost to SELA is just dreadful. A slip up mid-season in the SLC would not have hurt us that much. But this early. Ugh. Double and triple ugh.
djsfw57
BigJack85 said:

That we lost to SELA is just dreadful. A slip up mid-season in the SLC would not have hurt us that much. But this early. Ugh. Double and triple ugh.
Maybe we got it out of our system last night and things will run more smoothly from here on out.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.