Southland Basketball

94,960 Views | 411 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by cboothe09
nacluth
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Just saying that after today, McNeese is going to be two wins up on us in the conference race. Who saw that coming?
nacluth
Yessir. McNeese is 2-0 and we're 0-1. The SLC in a nutshell.

Edit: 7:20pm
Still 13 minutes left but Nicholls drubbing UIW by 20 at this point. Another 2-0 team.

Edit: 8:00pm
Nicholls now 2-0; UIW 0-2.

Edit: 9:30pm
Lamer and UNO join the 2-0 club.
Ryan
Kinnaird Guitars
nacluth
SELA takes care of UCA and Howard in Arkansas to go to 2-0 as well. Lions should take top power ranking knocking off two top 4 teams despite Nicholls convincing wins.
Ryan
Kinnaird Guitars
nacluth
UNO 3-0

So close McNeese. They had the lead in Abilene and let it go in the last minute....
PurpleOut
Staff
The SLU loss sucks because we don't play them again, but there's no way they don't drop a few games so we'll still control our own destiny this early.

UNO at SFA next week is a big one.
nacluth
UNO is 4-0, SLU is 3-0. Almighty Lamar is 2-2 after being downed by UCA at home in 2OT. So far, every home team has lost today (waiting on the Nicholls/HBU result).

Wednesday's game is going to be big.
Ryan
Kinnaird Guitars
cboothe09
Tonight:

Abilene Christian @ Houston Baptist - ACU should win this one
Incarnate Word @ Central Arkansas - UCA cofmortably
New Orleans @ SFA - Hands down the best game of the night. I'll take the Jacks at home thank you...
Sam Houston @ TAMU-CC - Sam should win, but I feel the Islanders pull the upset
Southeastern @ Lamar - Lamar has been struggling and SELA hasn't. I want to call the upset but I'm not sure the Cardinals can do it.
McNeese @ Nicholls - Nicholls is back home and I'm sure they are frustrated from last week. Wonder what if they rally or just keep playing frustrated...
INiedrauer
Staff
I'll take every home team but HBU.
-
Isaac Niedrauer
@INiedrauer

cboothe09
INiedrauer said:

That's the way I'm leaning, but I'm having trouble pulling more confidence in Lamar. Southeastern is playing above their heads right now and are due to come back to earth, but Lamar has hit their annual funk. Lamar has the talent to win, but I don't know if the mental aspect is there right now...
nacluth
INiedrauer said:

I'll do the same but substitute SLU instead of ACU.
Ryan
Kinnaird Guitars
nacluth
SLU down by 15 at the half, but hold Lamar to 16(!) points in the second to come back and win by five. Amazing.
cboothe09
ACU 82 - HBU 74
UIW 76 - UCA 92
UNO 68 - SFA 78
SHSU 82 - TAMU-CC 50
SELA 63 - Lamar 58
McNeese 80 - Nicholls 85

Thoughts:
Sam Houston has found whatever they were lacking early...Southeastern is some kind of lucky, and Lamar is doing Lamar things...Not sure if McNeese is better, or Nicholls is still lost mentally.

Saturday:
Abilene Christian @ Northwestern
UCA @ Nicholls
TAMU-CC @ New Orleans
McNeese @ Southeastern
UIW @ SFA
HBU @ Sam Houston

Nothing huge except for a game in Thibodaux where the first to 150 wins....
cboothe09
nacluth said:

SLU down by 15 at the half, but hold Lamar to 16(!) points in the second to come back and win by five. Amazing.
I hate to admit that I actually bought in to the Lamar hype train, even though I knew better...They do this every year
PurpleOut
Staff
I'm not fully buying SLU right now, but they're doing all they need to do...win.
cboothe09
I don't see it lasting all 18 games. They are bound to slip somewhere...They still have two against Nicholls, two against UNO (I can see UNO sweeping), Abilene again, UCA, and a trip to Sam. A lot of games there for them to falter...

I can easily see them ending the season with five losses (Nicholls, UNO x2, UCA, Sam)
PurpleOut
Staff
We should be favored every game out, but that doesn't mean we won't slip up. In fact I think we probably will. I expect UNO to continue to play well, but we'll now have a tie breaker over them, as well as Nicholls who is 4-1.
cboothe09
We have a rough six-game stretch coming up where we will have to bear down on the road. HBU at home is the only "layup" we have. Make it through there and we are golden...

@ Abilene
@ UCA
vs. Sam
vs. HBU
@ Lamar
@ McNeese
nacluth
Who saw HBU 0-5? I know there were a lot of people that thought Ibarra was going to be a shoo-in first team all-SLC, but they have been terrible. My underdog team McNeese keeps rolling though.
Ryan
Kinnaird Guitars
BigJack85
McNeese is a bigger surprise (in a positive way) than HBU. I figured HBU was due to be down. They've lost a number of key guys over the last two seasons.
Axe 'Em Jacks - Class of 85'
INiedrauer
Staff
HBU hasn't had Ibarra for awhile. They don't have much without him.
-
Isaac Niedrauer
@INiedrauer

TallTexan
I wish that Abilene game was on a Saturday, I'm like 2 hours away from there.
PurpleOut
Staff
Nicholls destroyed Corpus tonight. Almost as many total points as people in attendance (152 vs 213).

Seriously. 213 people at a conference basketball game. And they're actually a decent team.
No-look
Shouldn't Nichols, NO, and SELA start beating each other up fairly soon?
PurpleOut
Staff
No-look said:

Shouldn't Nichols, NO, and SELA start beating each other up fairly soon?
Yep, all three teams have yet to play against the others (and they play each twice).
TallTexan
PurpleOut said:

Nicholls destroyed Corpus tonight. Almost as many total points as people in attendance (152 vs 213).

Seriously. 213 people at a conference basketball game. And they're actually a decent team.
We've really got to get into a better conference. I bet we could get 213 Jacks fans at a road game.
PurpleOut
Staff
TallTexan said:

PurpleOut said:

We've really got to get into a better conference. I bet we could get 213 Jacks fans at a road game.
Probably had more than that at Northwestern State. We'll have probably triple that in Huntsville.
BigJack85
PurpleOut said:

TallTexan said:

PurpleOut said:

Probably had more than that at Northwestern State. We'll have probably triple that in Huntsville.
The last Huntsville trip I made (3 years ago) we had about 1400/1500 The total crowd was 2700.
Axe 'Em Jacks - Class of 85'
PurpleOut
Staff
UCA absolutely destroyed UNO in New Orleans tonight. They're playing well right now.
nacluth
Sam's looking decent by playing through a schedule of winless teams. Ha!
PurpleOut
Staff
nacluth said:

Sam's looking decent by playing through a schedule of winless teams. Ha!
Agreed. Hard to argue against what they're doing, they're beating who's in front of them. But, their conference wins are against teams with a combined record of 4-26, including three 0-6 teams.

We'll see where they are in 2 weeks. They have @Lamar, SLU, @SFA, @McNeese and ACU up next.
nacluth
A third of the way into the season, Lamar is tied with McNeese for 8th in the SLC. Wow.

Questions about the middle third:

1.) Which 0-6 team is the first to find a win? Right now none of them seem to want one.

2.) Which team makes a strong move in the next six games to become a contender?

3.) Which team drops over the next six?
Ryan
Kinnaird Guitars
PurpleOut
Staff
We are in a pretty good position right now. 0 concern from me about Nicholls since we own a tiebreaker there, same with New Orleans. And we get 2 games with Sam. SLU is really the main team we need to drop another game or two since they have the head to head over us.

Still a lot of games left, but we control our own destiny. As we should.
cboothe09
1. Woof...They are all bad. HBU gets their first win next week when they host UIW.

2. Tricky one. I think there is a solid line in the ground between pretenders and contenders. If I had to say anyone, that isn't currently in contention I would say Lamar, but I think what you see is what you will get this year. Your top 4 going into the tourney will likely be SFA, Nicholls, SELA, and UNO...

3. Sam Houston - They have feasted on the weak and the level of difficulty is about to pick up
INiedrauer
Staff
I think it's important to remember the handful of teams every single year who start out hot and then the bottom falls out in the last month. Think Sam Houston State last year. The list of contenders is going to shorten dramatically.
-
Isaac Niedrauer
@INiedrauer

TallTexan
BigJack85 said:

The last Huntsville trip I made (3 years ago) we had about 1400/1500 The total crowd was 2700.
We should attempt to sell out Sam's stadium one day & fill it with 5k Lumberjack fans in Purple. Just for the fun of it & how much they would hate it.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.