Southland Basketball

94,920 Views | 411 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by cboothe09
No-look
How long do you want to ignore this user?
TallTexan said:

nacluth said:

That is unbelievable. That is going to hurt them. If there were any more time, I would expect an SLC investigation that might keep them out of the tournament, but I bet they get to finish the year. Very disappointing for the team, college, and fan base.
I wonder what the SLC's plan is for this? Granted this hurts their competitiveness, but the SLC risks the chance that they could still win the tourney. That'd be terrible for the whole conference.
Wow! That would be a bad look for the Southland. What course of action can the league legally take?
cboothe09
No-look said:

TallTexan said:

nacluth said:

That is unbelievable. That is going to hurt them. If there were any more time, I would expect an SLC investigation that might keep them out of the tournament, but I bet they get to finish the year. Very disappointing for the team, college, and fan base.
I wonder what the SLC's plan is for this? Granted this hurts their competitiveness, but the SLC risks the chance that they could still win the tourney. That'd be terrible for the whole conference.
Wow! That would be a bad look for the Southland. What course of action can the league legally take?
I mean they suspended the two players immediately. Not a lot else they can do right now, so not sure there is any action the league could take.

There was no attempted cover up, I don't think this is something that is the tip of the iceberg in Hammond, so really there is nothing that can be done from the SLC's standpoint.
TallTexan
cboothe09 said:

No-look said:

TallTexan said:

nacluth said:

I mean they suspended the two players immediately. Not a lot else they can do right now, so not sure there is any action the league could take.

There was no attempted cover up, I don't think this is something that is the tip of the iceberg in Hammond, so really there is nothing that can be done from the SLC's standpoint.
Touche. I guess you can make sure they stay suspended & hope that's enough to keep them out of the NCAA tourney. I don't think they've lost institutional control, but you don't want ESPN talking for 4 days about a shooting on your Tourney team either for the SLC.

No matter though, I've got confidence in our Jacks to make sure it's not an issue.
SFASawmillGuy
TallTexan said:

cboothe09 said:

No-look said:

TallTexan said:

nacluth said:

Touche. I guess you can make sure they stay suspended & hope that's enough to keep them out of the NCAA tourney. I don't think they've lost institutional control, but you don't want ESPN talking for 4 days about a shooting on your Tourney team either for the SLC.

No matter though, I've got confidence in our Jacks to make sure it's not an issue.

SLU will make the final four now.
INiedrauer
Staff
I'm not sure anyone has pointed this out yet so it's worth noting that New Orleans is playing without their superstar in Travin Thibodeaux who has been suspended for their last two games. Between SLU's mess and that, it's gonna be an ugly one.
-
Isaac Niedrauer
@INiedrauer

No-look
INiedrauer said:

I'm not sure anyone has pointed this out yet so it's worth noting that New Orleans is playing without their superstar in Travin Thibodeaux who has been suspended for their last two games. Between SLU's mess and that, it's gonna be an ugly one.
Shoot, I was hopeing NO knocks them off tonight. And Nichols beats them. It may still happen. We should have taken care of businesses. All we need to do is win.
SFAJack_76
Demons up by two at the half.
cboothe09
Looks like those extra shots were exactly what SLU needed. In full control and shooting over 63 percent against UNO tonight...
cboothe09
If the season ended today:

First Round:
#8 ACU vs. #5 Lamar
#7 UCA vs. #6 UNO

Quarterfinals:
#4 SHSU vs. ACU/Lamar
#3 SFA vs. UCA/UNO

Semifinals:
#2 SLU vs. SFA/UCA/UNO
#1 Nicholls vs. SHSU/ACU/Lamar

Saturday:
Lamar @ McNeese
Nicholls @ SLU
ACU @ UIW
NWST @ UCA
SFA @ SHSU
AMCC @ HBU

A lot of different scenarios can make things really crazy. As nobody cemented into a seed yet. I may be wrong on some of these, but here are the scenarios:

1. Nicholls or SLU - Winner of Nicholls/SLU gets #1
2. SLU or Nicholls - Loser of Nicholls/SLU gets #2
3. SFA or SHSU - Winner of SFA/SHSU gets #3

4. SHSU, SFA, or Lamar -
SHSU win + SFA loss = SFA #4;
SHSU loss + Lamar loss = SHSU #4;
SHSU loss + Lamar win = Lamar #4 (Lamar holds tiebreaker vs. SFA)

5. Lamar, SHSU, or UNO -
Lamar win + SHSU win = Lamar #5;
Lamar win + SHSU loss = SHSU #5 (Lamar holds tiebreaker vs. SFA);
Lamar loss + UNO win = UNO #5 (UNO holes tiebreaker vs. McNeese)

6. UNO, Lamar, or UCA
UNO win + Lamar win = UNO #6
UNO win + Lamar loss = Lamar #6
UNO loss + UCA win = UCA #6 (UCA holds head-to-head tiebreaker 1-0)*

7. UCA or UNO
UCA win + UNO win = UCA #7
UCA win + UNO loss = UNO #7

8. ACU, McNeese, or AMCC - Please dear God let someone win. Tiebreakers are a little crazy at this point...

*UCA & UNO hold very few mutual teams they played twice, and it came down to head-to-head.
nacluth
Wow. Good legwork there. Usually the SLC will release the official tiebreaker scenarios by tomorrow. Easy for us. Good things happen if we win. Though if we wanted to make Lamar play an extra game, we should lose.
INiedrauer
Staff
The big three in Louisiana are now all facing big adversity. Nicholls lost Tevon Saddler to a knee injury last night and it looks serious. Pair that with UNO and SLU's troubles and Katy is going to be interesting for our eastern neighbors.
-
Isaac Niedrauer
@INiedrauer

cboothe09
INiedrauer said:

The big three in Louisiana are now all facing big adversity. Nicholls lost Tevon Saddler to a knee injury last night and it looks serious. Pair that with UNO and SLU's troubles and Katy is going to be interesting for our eastern neighbors.
That injury furthers my belief that Lamar makes the tournament final this year. I think they have righted the ship after their early conference struggles. Four games in four days is a lot of basketball though for them...
SFA Jack Fanatic
cboothe09 said:

8. ACU, McNeese, or AMCC - Please dear God let someone win. Tiebreakers are a little crazy at this point...

LOL! Yeah, my head is already spinning like a top....
cboothe09
edstile said:

cboothe09 said:

LOL! Yeah, my head is already spinning like a top....
It really isn't that bad...I think it goes like this, but that is without looking at the schedules. I'm just going off of how they have them on the standings...

ACU win = #8
ACU loss + AMCC win + McNeese loss = AMCC #8
ACU loss + AMCC loss + McNeese win = McNeese #8
ACU loss + AMCC win + McNeese win = AMCC #8
ACU loss + AMCC loss + McNeese loss = ACU #8
nacluth
Official tiebreaker from the SLC

http://southland.org/documents/2018/3/1/Men_s_Remaining_Scenarios_3_1_18.pdf

So disregard the previous post. ACU only has one shot of getting in.
SFA Jack Fanatic
INiedrauer said:

What's the extent of Saddler's injury? I couldn't find anything about it on the internet. He's their 2nd leading scorer at 15.8 ppg and their leading rebounder at 6.6 rpg.
INiedrauer
Staff
A media member who was at the game on Saturday told me he's almost definitely done for the year.
-
Isaac Niedrauer
@INiedrauer

nacluth
Interesting battle at the bottom of the field for the final tourney spot. Corpus, ACU, and McNeese. ACU has on paper the easiest game against Incarnate Word, but they only have one route to get in where Corpus has 4 ways in, and McNeese 3. McNeese is playing Lamar who is trying to get the single bye - Ouch. Corpus is playing HBU.

Prediction: Corpus wins, McNeese loses and Corpus sneaks in again. ACU who started so strong is at home in their first year of eligibility.
Ryan
Kinnaird Guitars
cboothe09
Lamar loses to McNeese...McNeese is now your #8 seed in the SLC tourney
nsubroski
SLU is a bad matchup for Nicholls. The best way to beat the colonels is to play super slow and defend. SLU is quite good at that. i hope the Bearkats can beat them if we're lucky enough to get to the finals.
slulionsfan
nsubroski said:

SLU is a bad matchup for Nicholls. The best way to beat the colonels is to play super slow and defend. SLU is quite good at that. i hope the Bearkats can beat them if we're lucky enough to get to the finals.

We can definitely defend but I wouldn't say that we play slow. We run good half court offense and take good shots most of the time. But we can get out and run the floor when we want.
nacluth
Well, stats say the team plays pretty slow...at least compared to Southland teams which on a whole play fast. SLU has the second fewest possessions per game (in front of Sam) and scores the third fewest points (in front of Sam and UIW). Now they are in the top half at points per possession which means they convert well on the trips they do have.

Nicholls has the fastest pace in the conference and has the highest offensive efficiency. But, both games this year, SLU has dictated the pace. So slow ain't always bad.
nsubroski
nacluth said:

Well, stats say the team plays pretty slow...at least compared to Southland teams which on a whole play fast. SLU has the second fewest possessions per game (in front of Sam) and scores the third fewest points (in front of Sam and UIW). Now they are in the top half at points per possession which means they convert well on the trips they do have.

Nicholls has the fastest pace in the conference and has the highest offensive efficiency. But, both games this year, SLU has dictated the pace. So slow ain't always bad.
Thats what I mean they have kind of figured us out. I would want to avoid them. Kinda like you guys with Lamar.
slulionsfan
nacluth said:

We do tend to control pace and value good shots over volume, but we can turn it up and run when we want. I guess I differentiate between being deliberate and being slow. But I do agree with the Colonel fan that the best way to play them is to make them a halfcourt team. They are very talented.
cboothe09
Thibodeaux must have really screwed up to not be playing in the tournament. UNO not missing a beat right now...
cboothe09
Dave Simmons of McNeese and Ken Burmeister of Incarnate Word are now looking for jobs. Interested to see what the coaching carousel has to hold in the Southland this year.
TallTexan
cboothe09 said:

Dave Simmons of McNeese and Ken Burmeister of Incarnate Word are now looking for jobs. Interested to see what the coaching carousel has to hold in the Southland this year.
Arkansas Little Rock just moved on from their coach as well, it'll be interesting to see who the younger Conque hires.
PurpleOut
Staff
ACU falls to Drake in OT.
nacluth
Good effort. Honestly didn't expect this game to be close with the travel. Sorry for ACU, but first D1 postseason experience ever. They'll want more.
Ryan
Kinnaird Guitars
nacluth
Saint Mary's won the West Coast Conference (over Gonzaga. They were ranked #25 in the nation. They are the number one seed in the NIT. They are outside of Oakland California. There may be 1,500-2000 people at the game tonight. Pretty sad.
SFA Jack Fanatic
nacluth said:

Saint Mary's won the West Coast Conference (over Gonzaga. They were ranked #25 in the nation. They are the number one seed in the NIT. They are outside of Oakland California. There may be 1,500-2000 people at the game tonight. Pretty sad.
Saint Mary's leads SELA 19-8 at the end of the 1st quarter. It's on ESPNU. And yeah, the crowd is pathetic.
SFA Jack Fanatic
edstile said:

nacluth said:

Saint Mary's leads SELA 19-8 at the end of the 1st quarter. It's on ESPNU. And yeah, the crowd is pathetic.
That gym looks like a JUCO gym. I'm surprised.
SFA Jack Fanatic
nacluth said:

Saint Mary's in the NIT?? What was the Selection Committee thinking??? This may be the stupidest decision by them that I've seen in... forever.
SFAJack_76
38-17 over the SLC co-champion with about two minutes to go in the half. Not buying the "conference is much better" pitch.

The other co-champ cannot afford to go to a post season tournament.
nacluth
That first quarter SELA got open look after open look. SMC was missing everything outside 12ft. But SELA couldn't hit anything. They we're 2-16 at one point down by 9. 3/4 more buckets, it would have been a game. Just cold.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.